HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Arlington :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Yorktown High-school Parental Notification
Posted by: Yorktown Parent ()
Date: February 17, 2022 11:19AM

I posted on the VA schools (non FCPS) DCUM forum last night and when I went to read responses this morning the thread was gone. I posted again this morning and had a few responses that disagreed with me and then shortly that thread was gone. I posted asking why, got no authoritative response to a third thread but a hand full of responses directing me to post here. Hope this is the correct place to discuss.

From how the respondents to the deleted threads described it, a medical issue occurred and as a result the class my son was in was asked not to enter the hallway for a period of time. From my son's perspective when he told us the story, the school used the lockdown procedures to implement the request for children to "stay in their classroom". (I titled my previous posts "Yorktown lockdown 2/16/2022"). The only reason to ask a child to stay in their classroom using that method, no matter what you call, it is to avoid risk. If there are any elevated risks at one of the schools my child attends, I expect to be informed. A two sentence e-mail that told of a short term mandate for children to stay in their classroom to deal with XYZ would suffice. I know this type of transparency will open the schools to further questions, and I assume this is the main reason they aren't providing parent notifications, but that isn't an acceptable reason. I'm getting very tired of the "we are licensed educators, mind your own business", and really hope the schools transition to a strong partnership with parents. Maybe SB397 will force their hand.

I also posted to DCUM political forum 5-6 times this morning, it was deleted each time. I'm sure I am violating some policy by trying again and encouraging others to do so, so I'm going to stop. Just very frustrating that political forums are moderated like that.

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.