HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Loudoun :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Loudoun Farmer's Market
Posted by: Veggie Tells ()
Date: March 21, 2012 10:12AM

Do yourself a favor when shopping at the Loudoun County farmers market and don't buy anything from Ellen or Richard of Potomac Vegetable. They are a cult of hippies living in Lovettsville. They wear dirty tie die clothing and all of the women who live in their compound have hairy armpits. Richard looks like the cult leader Marshall Applewhite. He has the same gay eyes and stare.
The LVHMC was set up for a friendly farmer's market until Ellen took over as president. She lies and falsely accuses other vegetable growers of things to remove them from the markets. These other growers are direct competition with her at the markets. Her produce is crap. Support the other produce growers. The LVHMC was set up to protect the individual growers but she has used the platform to remove anyone who competes with her.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Loudoun Farmer's Market
Posted by: huh ()
Date: March 22, 2012 03:30PM

I know there have been issues with some of the vendors not being honest about the source of their produce. What is more important to me is who to trust. Veggie Tells, why don't you let everyone know who is good.

Posted by: Ned Schneebly ()
Date: March 22, 2012 09:41PM

Who to trust....that is a loaded question. Let me educate you on the political crap that happens as your "friendly, local" farmers market.

1. When a market like the LVHMC is run by a board that is a) appointed by the vendors and b) is made up of other vendors, trouble starts a-brewin'! Lets look at an example:

Farmer A- meat vendor-raises his cows,pigs, goat, chicken, etc
Farmer B- meat vendor-same as above but brand new to the farming commmunity

Farmer A has been in the market for a few years. Farmer B is a new farmer. Applies to the market. Farmer A gets threatened. Farmer B is accepted. Farmer A wants to do something about his competition-he runs for the board. He gets elected. He comes up with some of the craziest rules because he know the rules will be impossible for Farmers B to meet considering he is a brand new first year vendor and Farmer A caters the new rules just for that purpose-to benefit him! Rules get passed, Farmer B is now out of the markets. This is historically what has happened for the past 4-5 years in the LVHMC markets.

This happens all of the time. One of the vendors gets their panties in a wad (Ellen), starts to throw her weight around, bullies the rest of the board and implements ridiculous standards, etc so that her competition gets thrown out.

If people only knew the truth and how despicable farmers market vendors are, I think this whole "Buy Local" campaign would be non existent!...and VeggieTells is spot on about Potomac Vegetale Farm-despicable people. I know all too well these scum bags!

Look, the LVHMC board look for a pawn in their games each year and they decide to go after one vendor and they are relentless until that vendor is thrown out. they came up with the rules and everyone follows them. Then they want to target a vendor so they wiill change the rules to benefit one certain board member-then that vendor is thrown out even if they have been in the markets for years.

Everyone is completely fooled-anyone who shops at a farmers market. You think you are supporting the farmers, it's local, it's healthy, etc. This would make one hell of a undercover story! The Politics of Farming!

Posted by: redhog ()
Date: March 26, 2012 06:57PM

Well, some of your facts are true, most are not. Ellen is not the President of the LVHMC. Just a board member. And there is a total of 7 members. Kind of hard to throw your weight around with 6 other strong opinions. Approx. 6 years ago, the markets were controlled by the LCED and they didn't manage the assoc. very well. That is when the assoc. spun off by themselves, formed a Coop., and strenthened the codes and bylaws to keep the integerity of Producer only markets. Some vendors at that time were skirting the rules, using loopholes, and buying and reselling. The new coop bylaws have helped curtail those type of vendors that lack integerity. Your example of A and B was during that time of change. How about this suggestion, you take the time to visit with your local vendors, ask the right questions, and visit their farms or operations to understand completely what it takes to operate in these hard times. You might have a better understanding why the true Producer considers those strict bylaws an asset.

Posted by: Ned Schneebly ()
Date: March 26, 2012 08:09PM

6 strong opinions .....that's a loaded statement. Those so called 6 strong opinions do not take into account the LVHMC as a whole-only each individual board members interest. You know exactly what I'm talking about Mr. Ulmer.....because the scenario that I used above has to do with you and you know it. You set up the meat regs to get rid of your competition. Everyone who is a vendor knows the truth.

Date: March 27, 2012 11:27AM

"Some vendors at that time were skirting the rules, using loopholes, and buying and reselling"

So Donnie, why does Ellen use plugs or starter plants that she buys and re-sell them, And you allow this? Also you bylaws state that a vendor can not have a store front either. And you allow Ellen to have a storefront (Potomac Farms) in the Tysons area. Seems like they do "throw their weight around", don't they? Just the fact that you and Ellen tried and did remove your direct completion makes me want to shop elsewhere. I will not buy at any market where you and Potomac Farms sell. I support honest farmers and growers. You only targeted vendors you needed to get rid of to boost you own profits. Is this what the LVHMC was set up for??? You ought to be ashamed! I think more people should know how you really are.

Posted by: Okra Winfrey ()
Date: March 27, 2012 04:15PM

Who is Donnie? Expose him. Fellow producers and hungry consumers deserve to know!

Posted by: 2 peas in a pod ()
Date: March 27, 2012 04:53PM

Donnie Ulmer-Milcreek Farms

Pompous, self absorbed, back stabbing, SOB! He was once a wee little vendor selling his wares at the market. He ran for the board a few years back and became an asshole. Before he got on the board the meat regs were fine-it worked for a small and up coming meat producer to get his or her foot in the door and into the markets. He didn't like the amount of competition that was sprouting left and right. He decides to put the most ridiculous rules pertaining to meat vendors. See example of Donnie's handiwork below as quoted from the current 2012 application:

7. As an LVHMC Meat Producer, I understand that I am permitted to sell eggs, seafood, fresh, frozen and smoked meats provided that I meet the requirements of the Food Inspection Section of the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. All of my beef, lamb, goat, hog and poultry sold at LVHMC Markets are raised on my own farm or leased properties and I am directly responsible for their care. I understand that LVHMC does not allow contract farming. I understand that the minimum times for purchased animals to be raised on my farm are: Beef - 7 months, Lambs - 4 months, Goats - 6 months and Hogs - 4 months. . I understand the maximum weight an animal may be purchased is: Beef - 700 lbs., Lambs - 60 lbs., Goats - 60 lbs., and Hogs - 100 lbs. I understand that my Poultry may be raised from chicks that are purchased at two weeks of age or less, and my Laying hens may be bought as pullets. Any other breed of animal must be pre-approved by the LVHMC Board of Directors before being offered for sale. I may cook and give away samples of my products but selling of products cooked at the market must be approved by the Board. I understand that if I purchase animals for processing, I must send notification of the purchase to LVHMC (Market Coordinator) within 10 days of the transaction along with identification numbers and purchased weights. Vendors are required to keep records of animals born on their farm, animals purchased, tag numbers, invoices, processing dates and should be able to show tracking of their animals from birth/purchase through processing and these records must be available for inspection. Failure to produce these records will result in suspension from the LVHMC Markets. I agree to sell only products that I, and/or my immediate family have produced on my property and/or property I lease which have been processed in a VA or USDA inspected facility (home processing of poultry is allowed following VDACS regulations). If more than 1000 day-old-poultry are purchased and processed on farm, a copy of the VDACS on-farm poultry processing permit must be attached to the Market application.

he makes it virtually impossible for a new farmer to apply let alone be accepted into "his" market. He knows with these regulations it is impossible. Oh but he will vow that these regulations makes their market "honest". Please. I have been in the farmers markets and have participated in markets in these areas for over 15 years. These crazies are the dirtiest bunch of people I have ever seen.

Posted by: westvagirl ()
Date: March 27, 2012 05:50PM

All this makes for interesting reading, "BORING" I shop at the Leesburg Market and enjoy all their products and I have visited many of the farms. In defense of the LVHMC and its 60 plus upstanding vendors, I have to semi-agree with REDHOG, you only know a quarter of the facts. If you have a problem with the board, any of the vendors, they have a contact person you can email or call to present your complaints. If you feel you can't shop there, go to a retail store. I can bet Mr. Ulmer doesn't even know this site exists, and most likely wouldnt care. Like REDHOG said, there were 6 other board members, the rules weren't made or approved by just one person. Opinions are like A-holes, some stink, some don't, hopefully you will clean up yours.

Date: March 27, 2012 06:12PM

Westvagirl-how do you really know *or think you know* that the 60 plus "upstanding vendors" are upstanding. Unless you have a vested interest in this, like maybe working for the LoCo Dept of Econ. Development office, then you really don't know. I can understand if you do work for them why you would feel so slighted. makes for bad publicity for LoCo, which might make your work pretty hard to do.

Damage control mode now, huh?

and I am one hell of a stinky Asshole....I don't doubt that for a second. :)

Posted by: Carrot Grant ()
Date: March 27, 2012 08:13PM

Donnie is not this issue here. He has been off of the board for a few years now. Granted, under his tenure this meat producer only rule was passed (which he pushed for). The black cloud now looms over Ellen Polishuk of Potomac Vegetable Farms. This hermaphrodite is the one who throws her aggressive demeanor around and when she has it out for you, you are screwed because everyone else is too chicken shit to stand up to her.

See for yourself. Hermaphrodite? I think so!
Attachments:
ellen.jpg

Date: March 27, 2012 10:09PM

LOL!

Posted by: Berry Manilow ()
Date: March 28, 2012 01:44AM

That's a man, baby YEAH!

Posted by: Larry the Cucumber ()
Date: March 28, 2012 01:55AM

Potomac vegetable Farms can not be certified as organic. They use this crap "ecoganic". It is not the same. Don't buy their nasty vegetables and don't support their commune. This is one cult I'd like to see drink some kool-aid. Ellen is a total bitch and Richard is Ellen's bitch.

Ellen can't beat her competition so she uses her testosterone to bully other vendors. I don't know why the other six cowardly board members go along with her BS.
Hey Ellen, go braid your armpit hair!

I agree, don't buy from potomac vegetable farms.

Posted by: hairy beast ()
Date: March 28, 2012 06:43AM

why do women in the farming community let their armpit hair overgrow and their leg hair grow out of control like that? that's just plain nasty. i guess its an unwritten rule if you are a female farmer you got to let it all overgrow.

Posted by: Harry A Pitt ()
Date: March 28, 2012 11:34AM

Posted by: Farmer Ted ()
Date: March 28, 2012 01:13PM

I have to agree with some of the statements made about the LVHMC Board. All seven of them can do what they want without answering to anyone but themselves. I have been in these markets for a few years now and am fed up with all of the political bullcrap that takes place at their meetings. If you even try to speak your mind you are labeled a trouble maker and then slowly they will try their best to eject you from the markets.

It's a political power trip that each board member has. Sure they say it's about the intergrity of the mission of the co-op but in reality it is a power trip because they know they have the power. So if anyone else comes on here and gives you a nice song and dance that the board members are not the only ones that have a voice, that the vendors (members) have a voice- that is a load of horseshit.

This is by far the worst member run farmers market in the tri state area. I'm sick of their crap but I have to keep my mouth shut so I can make a living and support my family. Every other vendor feels the same. So please don't come on here and give me some lip service and try to defend these assholes. If you aren't in these markets then you really don't know, do you?

Posted by: Barry Scary ()
Date: March 28, 2012 02:09PM

Sounds like Veggie Tells and Farmer Ted and all of the other disgruntled vendors need to spin off and create their own market.

The only problem is that one of you (assuming you aren't all just one sock puppet protester) will need to step up to the plate and actually lead, create rules, and enforce them.

As an outsider, it really just sounds like the board is trying to keep the quality high and be honest about the origins of the food. Sounds like you want to take shortcuts or cheat the system.

Posted by: What ()
Date: March 28, 2012 07:23PM

Those hippie chicks luv to do it. I've had sex several times at the Market itself. Good times.

Posted by: Nasty! ()
Date: March 28, 2012 07:29PM

those nasty-dirt under their nails, sweaty crotches from baking in the sun all day, b.o. smelling women? you must be desperate, dude!

Posted by: Root Vegetable ()
Date: March 28, 2012 09:11PM

I'd let purple tanktop pull my root

file.php?40,file=55168,filename=Potomac_

Date: March 29, 2012 01:36AM

Barry Scary Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like Veggie Tells and Farmer Ted and all of
> the other disgruntled vendors need to spin off and
> create their own market.
>
> The only problem is that one of you (assuming you
> aren't all just one sock puppet protester) will
> need to step up to the plate and actually lead,
> create rules, and enforce them.
>
> As an outsider, it really just sounds like the
> board is trying to keep the quality high and be
> honest about the origins of the food. Sounds
> like you want to take shortcuts or cheat the
> system.

You missed the point, dummy. All other farmers markets have a president that is not a vendor. This way there is not the back stabbing and forcing out your competition. Loudoun's was fine until Ellen stepped in. She pulled these bogus inspections on others, but she continued to use plugs and starters herself. She also has the store front that is not allowed for other vendors. So get your facts straight. Ask some of the other vendors about it some time. Ellen, Hatch, Haskins are bullies. This is portrayed as a friendly market, but it is all but.

Posted by: Butchie ()
Date: March 29, 2012 01:38AM

Root Vegetable Wrote:
> I'd let purple tanktop pull my root
>
>

What's up with the little guy in green?

Posted by: What ()
Date: March 29, 2012 06:12AM

Nasty! Wrote:
> those nasty-dirt under their nails, sweaty
> crotches from baking in the sun all day, b.o.
> smelling women? you must be desperate, dude!

They can't be as odor-free as the middle-school girls you favor, but I choose not to break the law and only have sex with adult women.

I have done it with white, purple, and burgundy. It was fantastic each time.

Posted by: Barry Scary ()
Date: March 29, 2012 07:07AM

No, You missed my point, Veggie Tales.

The world doesn't owe you a farmers market tailored to your liking. If you don't like the leadership of this market, then leave. Start your own or run for the board if you have the balls to.

Instead, you play the passive aggressive whiny bitch, and show up here with a truly pathetic post saying that Ellen is mean and wears dirty clothing. Here's a a newsflash for you dummy: Farmers get dirty. They're busy planting stuff instead of playing internet bully.

Date: March 29, 2012 10:54AM

Barry Scary Wrote:
> No, You missed my point, Veggie Tales.
>
> The world doesn't owe you a farmers market
> tailored to your liking. If you don't like the
> leadership of this market, then leave. Start your
> own or run for the board if you have the balls
> to.
>
> Instead, you play the passive aggressive whiny
> bitch, and show up here with a truly pathetic post
> saying that Ellen is mean and wears dirty
> clothing. Here's a a newsflash for you dummy:
> Farmers get dirty. They're busy planting stuff
> instead of playing internet bully.

Hey Dummy, the market is set up with rules and bylaws. I am pointing out that Ellen does not follow them herself. It's not about her being mean, it's about her being a ass and a bitch. If she wants to run the market, then she should not be a vendor. And not by having her gay-eyed husband selling her wares either.
My post was to let the costumers aware of her tactics. Potomac Vegetable Farms CAN NOT be certified as organic. Yet they tell you they are organic. Either get certified or stop this eco stuff. It's a sham.

I'm sure if the people are aware of Ellen's BS, they will choose other vendors vegetables. Did you ever see the long lines of costumers at the other vendors buying vegetables? I'm sure Ellen did, why do you think she wanted them out of the market? That's right, they were killing her profits. Her stuff is crap. Don't support her cult! Plain and simple, people chose to spend their money with other farmers and she didn't like it.

We have a market. Ellen needs to get rid of her store fronts and play by the rules. And farmers do get dirty, but the do have time to shave their arm pits too, don’t they? I can understand dirt, but I can’t excuse a hairy arm pit. It’s totally nasty, unless you are a guy. Is she?

Posted by: Root Vegetable ()
Date: March 29, 2012 11:43AM

I stumbled across a photo of Ellen, Richard and Vagi Smells.

I have a feeling you are that green-shirted monster in the photo above.
Attachments:
jealousy.jpg

Posted by: insideofitall ()
Date: March 31, 2012 05:07PM

Sow it grow it, it all about paying tax to the government..............nothing wrong with the good side of life............

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.