HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Loudoun :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fix the damn traffic already!
Posted by: StuckInLoudoun ()
Date: October 28, 2011 08:27PM

WHY did We the Taxpayers just pay to repave Route 7 around Leesburg? We don't need to repave roads that don't need it - we need to consolidate stoplights and start actually making traffic flow instead of having such shitty traffic planning that routes start to slow down before 6AM during the weekday.

Are there a bunch of circus-reject monkeys that are planning our roads in Loudoun?

Route 7 has gotten exponentially worse in the last six years that I've been driving in LoCo. They've done -some- consolidation of stoplights, but it's not nearly enough. Route 7 needs the overhaul that 28 got. Install overpasses at Ashburn Village and Belmont Ridge - whether the residents there support it or not. I'm tired of people complaining about how an overpass will spoil their neighborhood view when Belmont Ridge starts having half-mile-long traffic backups at 3:30. Get rid of the light at Lexington entirely, and join it up with Ashburn Village Parkway.

Furthermore, it seems like our traffic planners have no concept of the "prevailing mode of traffic." No, you DO NOT need to put up a stoplight and halt seventy cars going 55 MPH to let ten cars turn. You DO NOT need to have every single damn side street directly intersect major arterial roads and put up a stoplight - consolidate them and put the stoplights on the side streets.

While you're at it, put up hefty tolls on the West Virginia border of Route 9. The road clogs for MILES AND MILES with West Virginia commuters, stranding the taxpaying Loudoun residents who live in that corridor. Putting tolls on the West Virginia border of Route 9 would encourage those commuters unwilling to pay the toll to use the underutilized portions of Route 7 to get back home, and would help ease congestion for Loudoun residents who actually pay county taxes here. For those West Virginians willing to pay the toll, we can use the revenue to improve Route 9 and add an extra lane on Route 7 Westbound hill around Leesburg that should help alleviate the jam-ups caused by morons going 40MPH in the left-hand lane in their Geo Metros.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fix the damn traffic already!
Posted by: Don't Slow Down ()
Date: November 14, 2012 12:52PM

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I grew up in this area and it has been getting worse steadily for the last 20 years. The last six has been nothing new.

There also is a root cause of traffic in the tax breaks that businesses and developers get for moving into this area, and the fact that they're not forced to build an adequate infrastructure for what they're building. It's interesting though that the reason so many people keep moving here is because of the business growth and job opportunities...the same things that probably attracted you to move to this area!

Having said that, I agree with the toll to get WV commuters, but there should also be one to get the Marylanders coming down 15 from Frederick. And don't get me started on the outrageous fee to take the Greenway. I think Loudoun taxpayers should get a tax rebate equal to the amount we pay in Greenway tolls because it seems like that road is a way for traffic planners and officials to get out of building and improving the public road system.

And BTW, the Geo Metros are bad, but the Corolla drivers are just as bad and much more numerous.

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: December 07, 2012 05:07PM

StuckInLoudoun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Route 7 needs the overhaul that
> 28 got. Install overpasses at Ashburn Village and
> Belmont Ridge - whether the residents there
> support it or not. I'm tired of people complaining
> about how an overpass will spoil their
> neighborhood view when Belmont Ridge starts having
> half-mile-long traffic backups at 3:30. Get rid of
> the light at Lexington entirely, and join it up
> with Ashburn Village Parkway.
>

Good news: In the 2010 Countywide Transportation Plan ( http://www.loudoun.gov/index.aspx?nid=1068 ) all these things are called out.

Bad news: They might not happen by 2030 (or ever)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2012 05:07PM by snowdenscold.

Posted by: Yes, but first. . . . ()
Date: December 13, 2012 01:00AM

Yes, the traffic problems very seriously need to be fixed!
But, first, the redundant, dry/dead run calls being made to police/sherriff dispatches need to be stopped! Most being made deliberatly to distract the sherriff/police deputy's from dealing with the much more serious traffic issues. Half of the jerks driving around should not even be out there driving. If the sherriff/police officers were given the time they spend on what is clearly false reporting, being able to focus more on the idiot driving, like aggressive bottlenecking every red light between the DC Metro epicenter and outwards by a one hundred mile radius in all directions, well, then the 'herd' of automobiles being driven would be thinned down a bit more, leaving more open road for the better, more patient, realistic drivers. The ones, for example, racing from red light to red light are perfect examples of idiot, aggressive driving. Makes no sense what so ever. Bottlenecking every red light so no one can reasonably pace squat to save gas/wear and tear on their vehicles as well as driving much safer. Taking it slow and easy instead of fast and furious makes too much sense for too many reasons. Much less chance of any sort of serious accident to happen, etc., etc. And this is a much more serious issue than people might realize.
Over 40,000+ deaths, with hundreds of thousands being seriously injured and crippled for life, all caused by the /an idiot aggressive driver of the motorized vehicles. And NOT ANYONE IN THE STATUS OF A PEDESTRIAN, and the beat goes on.
Yes. And the aggressive jerk off drivers have the very same characteristics of the type of person that will call in to the police/sherriff dispatch and report/complain about wanting action taken on a totally redundant, irrelevant event, like a pedestrian crossing the street or something of the like, jamming up the dispatch lines, taking up precious time with the very authority that needs to handle better the traffic issue/problem.
What should be done more readily, is the redundant calls should be traced. Set up a computer program to zero in on the redundant reporter/person that does this sort of thing, and we are sure it is patterned to show that the given individuals are doing it deliberatly to distract the authority from the traffic issue here, and go after and prosecute these criminals for obstructing justice, in which is pulling over and issuing reckless driving, 6 pointer traffic tickets to these aggressive drivers to eventually getting them off the roads entirely. They ARE a serious threat to the rest of us driving responsibly, everyone knows this all to well. And it really needs to be sensibly corrected.
And when the Loudon County Sherriff's dept. , or any other paralleled authority in the other jurisdictions in the DC Metro area, as well, finally runs accross this post, reading it and understanding the realism it imposes, well, PLEASE consider it an official, respectable request to help correct the matter it (this post) addresses. PLEASE!
And we are surely positive we are not alone with making this respectable request. Too many a citizen driving in traffic through out the region witness what this post is all about, just about every day out on the roads.
The wacko's with a drivers license out here being a serious threat to the rest of us, including the sherriff/police officers out here.
The Tailgating. Uh, 'following too close', the speeding in congested traffic, the bottlenecking. This is all reckless driving. And just think, at the same time, more revenue from the fines being pulled in from all the more traffic tickets issued could very well bring in easier pay raises for the sherriff's office employees/police force, help reduce the oil consumption, along with helping the economy. Not to mention save lives. Reduce serious injury's, state aid disability dependancy, etc., etc., etc.
There is just too many reasons. Excellent short and ling term reasons, too get these idiot aggressive drivers of the motorized vehicles off the roads. If they need to get around, well, there is the bus services. Bicycling. Walking. Commuter riding. Many other much safer modes for all of us, for them to utilize, if they can not drive sensibly enough soon enough, too avoid losing the privileges to drive/their drivers license.

Please.

Posted by: but first, yes. . . . ()
Date: December 13, 2012 01:21AM

Yes. But first . . .
Make that a double ditto request to all of the sherriff and Police departments, NATIONWIDE!!!
I was killed and crippled for life by a drunk driver as a teenager many years ago, and am still suffering horribly by the above issue posted. Reconstructive facial surgury had to be done. Nose has never been the same. The insurance company's fight tooth and nail forever to pay anything out one the injury's. The pain. The suffering.
The traffic issue is unwaveringly much more imortant and serious than many people and sherriff/police officer's may think. What? Not enough of you have been in or seen all the blood and gore a bad auto accident can cause? The dismemberments? The horrible way of dieing it causes?
My face wa so smashed up, I drowned in my own blood flowing down the back of it into my throat into my lungs and stomach. Lost 3 of 5 pints of blood in me.
Yes, but first, we must have to deal with the obstructing of justice jackasses calling in the deliberately distracting calls to dispatch, making equivically to the traffic issue, i.e., THE WACKO DRIVER OF THE MOTORIZED VEHICLE'S, falsehooded, fraudulantly reporting.
What a mess. Dealing with the criminally minded.

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: December 14, 2012 08:06AM

If you're dead, why don't you shut up?

We know you're a mess, no reason to remind us, just get back to the Lamb Center thead where you belong.

Posted by: surrounded by idiots! ()
Date: December 25, 2012 11:47PM

Sums it up nicely.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.