HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Loudoun :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Virginia Universities (Tech or JMU? ...GMU?)
Posted by: torn ()
Date: April 22, 2011 02:02AM

Hello, I'm a senior in high school and am now facing the last ten days to make a decision about which university to attend. I was wondering if I could get a few opinions, biased and unbiased, about these two schools and which would be better for me. I'm relatively quiet unless with friends (but hoping to become more outgoing in college), have a GPA of about 4.1, and am in a lot of clubs at school. A significant number of my graduating class is going to JMU (not sure if this is good or not). I love both Tech and JMU and even after making a pro/con list still can't decide.

If this helps, I'm interested in the following majors (possible careers in parentheses): management (business owner), hospitality/tourism management (event planner), art history (art curator), marketing (advertising), media arts/design (newspaper/magazine journalist, radio/tv personality, photographer), anthropology (forensic anthropologist, archaeology), psychology, sociology, international affairs (possible work for the State Department?), international business, foreign languages (either French or Italian), and political science.

They're not listed in any particular order. Any help is appreciated, but more so if you went to either school or graduated with any of the listed majors! Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Virginia Universities (Tech or JMU? ...GMU?)
Posted by: BKBroiler ()
Date: April 22, 2011 06:36AM

Since you are very undecided about what path you want to take in your studies, I'd suggest Tech since it is a much larger school. You get exposed to so many areas of study in college that there is a decent chance you'll graduate with a degree in some area you aren't even thinking of right now. High school unfortunately does a terrible job of exposing people to all the different things things you can study. Choosing Tech over JMU will probably provide you with more availability of majors to switch from since it is a larger school.

Btw, I went to Tech so my opinion is probably biased. And also JMU does have a larger female to male ratio if that means anything to you... Hope this helps and good luck!

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.