HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Loudoun :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Willowsford Development on Route 50
Posted by: Mullen ()
Date: February 23, 2011 05:28PM

Say it with me... G-R-I-D-L-O-C-K! Old news that's coming to fruition for the Willowsford development project on Rt. 50 between Chantilly and Gilbert's Corner on Rt. 50 in Loudoun.

Sounds like a nice habitat plan but, wondering how existing Rt. 50 corridor road infrastructure will ever handle the increase in traffic?

See the link and share your thoughts... thanks.

http://willowsford.com/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Willowsford Development on Route 50
Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: February 23, 2011 11:14PM

Lol.. who's going to buy a house now ? Particularly out there. VDOT is getting ready to widen 50 between Poland Rd. and Pleasant Valley...probably next month.

http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/northernvirginia/lee-jackson_memorial-john_mosby_highway.asp

Date: February 24, 2011 07:44PM

Point, taken. And, thanks for the link/update for VDOT Rt. 50 widening. However, there's a plethora of cash-rich newcomers relocating to the area (South Riding) etc. Good citizen's are welcomed and suspect newcomers will be looking at Willowsford for a new home/investment. Resulting in, increased vehicle volumes that cannot possibly be handled by the Rt. 50 corridor in that stretch of the road. Time, will tell...

Posted by: BigK ()
Date: February 24, 2011 08:11PM

When I first moved to South Riding over 13 years ago I went to the street festival just past Gilberts Corner and there was a woman with a booth against all the new development and bitching about the roads. I asked her when she came here and she said five years prior. All I said is "what if they had people like you fighting to keep you out" and she didn't know what to say. Once people are here they just want to keep everyone else from moving here just like most of us already have. What crap. Yes the traffic sucks, that is growth. At least we have growth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2011 08:12PM by BigK.

Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: February 24, 2011 09:26PM

"Once people are here they just want to keep everyone else from moving here just like most of us already have."

So what's wrong with that? This is the lamest argument that always comes up. You can never oppose something if you were ever for it? If anyone ever developed anything anywhere - any and all future development must therefore be allowed?

Take a look at that website - they are attracting people to these locations while in fact destroying what they are luring people in with. I have a ton of flyers I have collected from Loudoun Co. developers over the last 15-20 years all splashed with the same country images. If you actually go to those developments now it doesn't look like that anymore.

Date: February 24, 2011 09:33PM

It does in the Western part of the county. We have not had anything like that in years. The large development will not go past 15 for many years to come is the powers in charge have anything to say about it. The way it is and has been in Loudoun for years. But I am still for the development and jobs.

Posted by: EX PG CNTY ()
Date: February 25, 2011 09:07AM

BigK is right. You can't fight progress. And just because you were the first mover doesn't mean you now get to dictate who can and can not follow you. Just ask the indians.

Date: February 25, 2011 06:06PM

Sure you can fight progress development. Everyone on both sides has every right to fight for their own interests. It's a free country. I fully respect the right of landowners and developers to fight for re-zonings and development. The opposite should also be true.

I merely think it is a non sequiter to assert that if any development was ever allowed in any area it is somehow invalid to fight further development.

That is a disingenuous propaganda technique used to attempt to stop any discussion of the actual merits of a development.

Date: February 27, 2011 02:12PM

So my opinion is propaganda? You're a self-righteous ass hole, obviously self aggrandizing, and can't make an argument without making immature accusations.

Date: February 27, 2011 05:12PM

Y'all can bitch and argue all you want. If the developer wants to build he will build.....PERIOD.

Date: February 27, 2011 09:37PM

"You're a self-righteous ass hole, obviously self aggrandizing, and can't make an argument without making immature accusations."

FWIW, gratuitous verbal abuse is also an illogical argument. A sure sign one is either too stupid or lazy to make an honest argument.

Date: February 28, 2011 06:26PM

There are no a** holes, here. Let's be nice to each other. Everyone has an opinion and some feelings/thoughts to protect. I don't like it, but sadly, BigK makes a very definitive statement: "If the developer wants to build he will build.....PERIOD."

The construction will continue on this interesting and historic land. Suggest; the relic hunters, with their metal detectors, get out there now to probe this property for some historic artifacts while the land is being tilled/graded and, share with the Loudoun Museum.

Large land development along Rt. 50 West will cross the Rt. 15 line sooner than anyone thinks... and NOT 15 years from now. It will be a sad day when ALL of this land is overtaken by mixed development of mini-mansions, townhouses and condo's. The 'Wealthy;' whom have preserved the Aldie and Middleburg areas so-well, for so-long. (And, huge thanks to them!) Are going to sell land in increasing numbers. It's already happening... Jobs and progress are good but, there is no crime in wanting to preserve some of Loudoun County's finer land vistas. Honestly, does anyone want to see Middleburg developed into a Reston Town Center in the next decade? It's coming... fast.

Date: February 28, 2011 07:06PM

I really hate to see it all slowly trickle away with every new housing development but that is the facts. I love Middleburg and expect it will be mostly preserved like some of the other older towns in the area. As the land owners sell they will also get the county government to slackup on the building rules in the west then it is "game on". It is what it is. I am retired and will be selling and moving to a warmer area in the next few years so I hope it helps push my home value up. I moved to the Rt 50 area years ago because the Rt 7 area was bad. In the near future Rt 50 will be even worse the 7 ever will be.

Posted by: Bob in Southeast Loudoun ()
Date: March 01, 2011 03:00PM

We moved out here in 2002. I spoke at various hearings in favor of the East Gate development because we need more shopping and restaurants out here. That was several years ago, and we're just now getting the first East Gate homes completed.

Middleburg is safe for many years. Book it.

Date: March 04, 2011 10:15AM

Old adages like "everything is for sale" and "everyone has a price" will hold true, even in Middleburg. Someone (the general someone, not anyone specifically) in Middleburg, is financially strapped due to the economy. When the real estate market starts ticking up again, that someone will likely sell off a nice chunk of farmland to a home builder, or two or three. It might not be this year, but sometime in the near future it will happen. Seriously, what homebuilder wouldn't want to build there - great marketing to be able to provide new homes in such a nice area. There will be whiners and complainers and lawsuits out the wazoo, but what can you do?

Date: March 04, 2011 07:33PM

EX PG CNTY sums it up very well. Vast tracts of Middleburg land (sadly) will be sold off when the real estate market improves. Either, by; current cash-strapped long time residents or, their 'heirs' that aren't interested in maintaining properties and wishing to cash-out... wishing I were an 'heir!'

Middleburg land(s) are, have been, and will remain one of the supreme BULLSEYE's by developers like Toll Brothers etc. in Loudoun County. Once conquered, they will draw their bead on The Plains and further west until they hit Winchester. Then, no one will care since, Winchester/Berryville and so on, are already in their wallets/clutches.

Middleburg,VA carries some prestige in the world. As, it is well known for the wealth etc. Try getting a new USPS PO Box at the Middleburg, VA Postal Office- Zip 20117. You can't get one folks... they're ALL taken! Everyone, including the developers, yearn for the coveted 20117 Zip Code.

Respect BigK's wishes for increased property values and moving on amidst retirement. Same, to Bob in Southeast Loudoun for need of restaurant/shopping options in Rt. 50W corridor.

Reverting back to the top of this message chain-- Grew up here and will be staying here. Yes, will have to endure the daily growth, gridlock and loss of a nice drive down Rt. 50 West to enjoy the scenery. Willowsford Development is just one more stepping stone toward an increased footprint of asphalt and concrete along Rt. 50 West. You Win... Progress and Development... damn you and feeling lonely at this moment.

Date: March 05, 2011 06:39PM

I've been through this before. I remember when much of PG County was still rural. It went through much of this same tension. Just thank God that Loudoun County is not directly adjacent to South East DC!

I moved out here for the same reason most people did - more peace and quiet than Arlington or wherever. I love it, but the fact is people, including developers, are generally free to do what ever they want with their own property.

Posted by: Ranson2004 ()
Date: March 06, 2011 04:53PM

Mulletns ideas are ok and understand Sir. Moved family wife and son from West virginia to south riding condo buying in 2005 after mil. srv. for closer job. Cars n traffic have gotten bad. Like this area and believe in better life that we have. Seen traffic buildup into route 50 during years. Do not like it so much but we are better off. Jobs and building helped us for better home and school in south riding.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.