HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Loudoun :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Leesburg Country Club residents say no to access road
Posted by: Loudoun News ()
Date: September 04, 2011 11:57AM

Leesburg Country Club residents say no to access road
Tuesday, Aug. 30 by Laura Peters
http://www.loudountimes.com/index.php/news/article/leesburg_country_club_residents_say_no_to_access_road123/

At the Aug. 30 Leesburg Town Council meeting, residents of Leesburg Country Club voiced their opinions on the proposed access road that would connect their development with the Linden Hill development. After petitioning council since November, residents feel that their voices aren’t being heard, and they are tired of it.

“I’d like you to ask yourselves why are you doing this?” John Fisher, a Country Club resident, asked council. “It’s a quality of life issue. I think this would have an extremely adverse effect with the increased congestion and danger and a decrease in home values. What other alternatives are being considered? What other possible alternatives are there instead of chopping up this property?”

Stephanie Lalumiere, a resident of Country Club, said the access road would be a waste of taxpayers dollars. She and her husband, Tom, presented pictures to show council how money could be spent elsewhere - with lighting, fixing sidewalks and enforcing the speed limit.

“It’s not only impractical but dangerous. There’s got to be another way to make the road that won’t inconvenience us,” Stephanie Lalumiere said.

Her concern is for the safety of kids in the neighborhood because a new road means more cars, creating more traffic, she said.

“I feel like anything that happens in the neighborhood, Country Club is sacrificial. I’m all for a way to get this, but there has to be another way, I feel like this is hazardous,” Lalumiere added.

“I’d like to address the safety issues. There’s very limited lighting, cracked sidewalks and speeding down the streets. I am opposed to this project,” Tom Lalumiere said.

The project, which would be an addition to the South King Street widening project set to start in the spring of 2012, would add an access road between the residential developments of Linden Hill and Leesburg Country Club. A set-back is the access road would decrease the amount of land on the lot at 1 Country Club Drive. The council has placed a price cap for the town to purchase the house at $375,000, which has proved to be not enough.

The 36 house development of Linden Hill has had its residents petition council numerous times in the past to get the access road approved and set up for design and construction. The problem Linden Hill residents are facing is that if the widening project is completed without the access road, they will have to turn right on South King Street, then make a U-turn if they want to go into the town of Leesburg.

Timothy Schott, a resident of Country Club, has sent out documents to neighbors who feel the same way about the access road. Schott spoke to council about the increase in travel on Country Club Drive residents have experienced. Another resident, Dennis Negram said speeding in the neighborhood is a big issue.

“I’ve lived here for nine years. It was a quiet street, but over the year as they’ve added on roads, it’s getting busier and it’s getting harder to travel,” Negram said. “Traffic has increased in Country Club, speeding has increased. I have chased two people down and got their license plate numbers and reported them going over 60 mph down Country Club Drive.”

Council voted on July 26 to bid at a foreclosure auction for the house at 1 Country Club Drive on Aug. 8 which was postponed to Sept. 23.

Vice Mayor Kevin Wright proposed to council and Town Attorney Jeanette Irby to not go to the auction. The issue will be discussed at a later date.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Leesburg Country Club residents say no to access road
Posted by: Thank God! ()
Date: September 08, 2011 07:23AM

Good!

Re: Leesburg Country Club residents say no to access road
Posted by: Nincompoops ()
Date: September 10, 2011 09:35AM

“She and her husband, Tom, presented pictures to show council how money could be spent elsewhere - with lighting, fixing sidewalks and enforcing the speed limit.”

Well they have done a spectacular job so far. You can’t drive down Battlefield Parkway without seeing a cop. Or the motorcycle cop who hides behind mailboxes and trees with his radar gun. This town is top notch in that department. Safest place to drive ever.

When real crime happens I am glad we have our Sheriffs Officers and State Police not to far away. With all due respect, they could probably solve the “Great Cooley Robbery” faster than Ralph Friedgen eats a dozen donuts. People we are not hunting Osama.

I do not trust this town with any public works projects. It took them 2 years to build the sidewalk along Route 15. This access road will probably take just shy of a decade.

Bottom line, this is a waste of money. I am surprised the town’s engineers did not suggest a tunnel or some sort of large bridge structure. Why don’t we do something that benefits everyone like lower our local taxes.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.