HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Lorton :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Ethical and Responsible Whitetail Deer Bowhunter Available
Posted by: here2help ()
Date: August 20, 2011 05:22PM

Hello all,

I was born and raised in Fairfax County and have successfully bowhunted the area for 8 years. I'm currently looking for a few new places to hunt this season and would be more than happy to volunteer in helping control the deer population for anyone interested.

Bowhunting in Fairfax County is not only completely legal but also one of the most effective and economical methods for deer herd population control. I am fully licensed with the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, I have completed the State Mandated Hunter Safety/Education Course and have qualified (through proficiency testing) for the County's Archery Program directed by the Wildlife Biologist and run through the Police Department/Park Authority.

If you have any questions or concerns I'd be more than happy to answer/address them completely. Thank you for your time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ethical and Responsible Whitetail Deer Bowhunter Available
Posted by: here2help ()
Date: August 28, 2011 08:38PM

Here is more info from another post I submitted:

Bowhunting offers a safe, low profile method of managing deer herd numbers, and has proven effective in small areas close to houses and roads in Fairfax County. Hunting with bow and arrow is the most safe, practical, and economical method of reducing deer herd size to an acceptable level.

Responsible bow-hunters can provide many benefits for landowners, including property maintenance, habitat improvement, security and safety. Concern about legal liability sometimes makes landowners hesitant about permitting hunting on their property. However, the Virginia General Assembly addressed this concern in Virginia Code Section 29.1-509 which exempts landowners who provide recreational opportunities to the public from liability for injury or damages incurred on their property.

As for me, I have been involved in the outdoors as far back as I can remember and over the years have developed a deep passion for Virginia’s wildlife and recreational opportunities. I was introduced to hunting at a very early age and progressed to bow-hunting eight years ago. In that time I have proven my proficiency as an archer by harvesting 5-7 deer each season. This lean protein source has provided food for land-owners, family, friends, and Virginia’s food kitchens and is used in its entirety without waste.

I am an honest hard-working individual who is always happy to lend a helping hand (as well as professionally packaged and prepared venison) to those who are gracious enough to allow me access to their property. I hold and always demonstrate the utmost respect for landowners at all times, following any rules they may set, and make it a point to establish long-lasting positive relationships with each of them. I also do my absolute best to remain as low key as possible entering and exiting a property that I am permitted to hunt to ensure owners of neighboring properties are not disrespected, concerned or disturbed in any way.

I am an ethical hunter and only release arrows that will result in a quick humane harvest, (typically within 20 yards and at deer that are relaxed and standing still). I am able to routinely and confidently place arrows into a 9-inch pie plate at a distance of 40 yards and practice religiously to ensure this. I hunt from a portable elevated tree-stand (which I bring and then take home each hunt), shooting downward at an average height of about 25 feet, so any arrows that are released always end up safely secured in the ground.

I have hunted properties as small as half an acre. The only regulation is that I may not release an arrow in a manner that allows that arrow to land upon the property of another without that person's permission, (hunting out of a treestand eliminates this issue completely).

Fairfax County simply cannot support the number of deer that are currently residing here, the carrying capacity of the land is 4-10 times the acceptable level that the habitat can support. Because of the extreme number of deer in Fairfax County, the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries has extended the bow-hunting season from September 3rd to March 31st. The Department supports bow-hunting on private property and knows that without generous landowners and hunter participation the deer heard will continue to grow exponentially, damaging the environment and placing extreme stress on other wildlife, (not to mention the human/deer conflicts of auto-mobile accidents, landscaping damage and disease transfer).

I know that given the opportunity to access your property you will not be disappointed, and the choice will result in a positive outcome for both parties. You can also reference the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries Website for additional information: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/urban-archery/

Thank you for your time.

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.