HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Lorton :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Reagan Noise
Posted by: Reagan Noise ()
Date: January 30, 2016 01:35PM

That steady aircraft drone overhead in Mt Vernon, South County, Springfield, and Burke, is the new FAA "NextGen" southbound takeoff pattern from DCA Reagan that allows low flying DCA planes to climb out over these neighborhoods rather than climbing to higher altitude over the Potomac River.
This new FAA rule helps airlines save fuel by cutting across heavily populated areas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reagan Noise
Posted by: W9PLT ()
Date: January 31, 2016 12:43PM

Yeah – see what you mean – this afternoon have a stream of low flying Reagan aircraft Reagan cutting across Burke/Springfield. Also noted numerous contrails overhead showing the pattern.

I Googled the new FAA NextGen traffic pattern – seems a source of neighborhood complaints nationwide – is Fairfax County taking any action??

Posted by: xPU3U ()
Date: March 01, 2016 06:12PM

Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2016 8:03 AM
To:
Subject: RE: 12/22/15 - West Springfield

Hello,

Thank you for your email concerning aircraft noise. I appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns with our office and apologize for the delay in this response. I understand that aircraft noise may be disruptive and result in a variety of effects. The FAA has a long history of studying noise related effects in order to minimize them to the extent possible through research and development, and mitigation measures.

The FAA’s mission is to ensure the safe and efficient use of our nation’s navigable airspace. The agency does not have the authority to prohibit aircraft overflights of a particular geographic area unless the operation is unsafe, or the aircraft is operated in a manner inconsistent with Federal Aviation Regulations. In order to handle air traffic demands, runway configurations are used in accordance with runway selection criteria. Air Traffic's runway selection is based on several factors which include the following: runway availability, wind, weather, operational efficiency, and noise considerations.

Airports are responsible for their noise impact on the communities they occupy. Please contact the Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority (MWAA) for more information on their noise abatement procedures and noise restriction hours. Here is the link to MWAA’s Aircraft Noise webpage, which includes information on how to contact their office: http://www.flyreagan.com/dca/reagan-national-aircraft-noise-information

Our office has received many complaints from people in Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, D.C. regarding the noise from operations at DCA. MWAA has established an airport/community noise roundtable forum to discuss the concerns that community residents have over aircraft noise. The FAA has been in direct communication with representatives from MWAA concerning an increase in inquiries from residents around DCA and is supporting the roundtable. At the December roundtable meeting, the roundtable agreed upon a recommendation to MWAA for submittal to the FAA for further analysis. That recommendation and other information from the roundtable can be found at: http://www.flyreagan.com/dca/community-working-group.

More information about aviation noise is available on the Federal Aviation Administration website and the ASCENT NoiseQuest website: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/apl/noise_emissions/airport_aircraft_noise_issues/

http://www.noisequest.psu.edu/

I realize that this response may not provide you with the desired relief from aircraft noise that you requested in your email message. However the FAA is continuing to manage the national airspace system in a safe and efficient manner while also continuing to develop measures to reduce noise from aircraft in the future.

Best,

Andrea

Andrea S Freeburg
Assistant to the Noise Ombudsman
Federal Aviation Administration
Washington, DC

Posted by: YmG7t ()
Date: March 05, 2016 01:20PM

Today’s (5 March) Washington Post, Metro Section, had a lengthy front page article re DCA Reagan and nationwide increase in airplane noise complaints caused by the recent FAA changes for departing aircraft.

Posted by: 3jL9v ()
Date: April 06, 2016 07:07AM

Today (4/06) the WTOP Radio webpage posted a news article regarding the noise problems caused by FAA NextGen traffic pattern changes at Reagan Airport that allows commercial planes to noisily climb out over Fairfax neighborhoods rather staying out over the Potomac river, all to save fuel costs for the airlines.

Please email your Fairfax supervisor supporting the proposed Fairfax Board letter of complaint they voted to send to MWAA/FAA.

Posted by: xVPy4 ()
Date: April 07, 2016 08:59AM

Use this MWAA link to see Reagan airtraffic over Fairfax - very cool.

http://webtrak5.bksv.com/dca

Posted by: NTytw ()
Date: April 30, 2016 10:05AM

Sent Reagan airport noise complaints to FAA at: 9-AWA-NoiseOmbudsman@faa.gov

Posted by: nPHvF ()
Date: May 30, 2016 08:23PM

Attached is the new map of DCA Reagan aircraft departures now routed over Lorton/Springfield/Burke neighborhoods.
Attachments:
dca_south_flow_regional_03aug2015_hoch_18aug2015_0.pdf

Posted by: t7LeW ()
Date: July 19, 2016 07:09AM

I also have to close my windows because the Reagan airport noise is almost constant after FAA moved the aircraft departure route over my house near South Run Park. The Reagan Airport FAA/MWAA noise webpage indicates the issue is under review by FAA, so I recommend filing a noise complaint using the link posted above to register your noise complaint during the ongoing study.

Posted by: 4xDPX ()
Date: July 19, 2016 07:10AM

I also have to close my windows because the Reagan airport noise is almost constant after FAA moved the aircraft departure route over my house near South Run Park. The Reagan Airport FAA/MWAA noise webpage indicates the issue is under review by FAA, so I recommend filing a noise complaint using the link posted above to register your noise complaint during the ongoing study.

Posted by: mmdragonheart ()
Date: July 19, 2016 09:18AM

http://www.flyreagan.com/sites/default/files/dca_south_flow_sids_final_version_26_may_2016.pdf

Not sure if this is the plan for noise remediation, but it's not gonna do much if they don't fly higher!! Keep filing those complaints http://webtrak5.bksv.com/dca and let your Fairfax County Supervisor know how you feel also

Posted by: cgkkyw ()
Date: September 12, 2016 07:45AM

Does anyone have information for the Reagan airport noise presentation in Arlington on Tues 9/13?

Posted by: mxcpd ()
Date: September 13, 2016 07:22AM

On 13 Sept - FAA will hold its Reagan airport noise complaint meeting at:

The FAA will hold a series of community workshops, which will be held locally in September. Three public workshops held in DC, in Virginia, and in Maryland.
o Washington Lee High School (Arlington, VA)
• September 13, 2016
• 6:30pm to 9:30pm
• 1301 N Stafford St - 1301 N Stafford St - Arlington, VA 22201

Posted by: Xeuk6 ()
Date: September 26, 2016 10:23AM

I guess the FAA noise meeting was unsuccessful as the Reagan aircraft departure drone continues over the neighborhood.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.