HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Burke :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
which mobile provider is best?
Posted by: GhostRider ()
Date: July 19, 2005 12:40AM

I've been living here for about a year and a half and my T-mobile phone doesn't work worth a damn in my neighborhood. I've also noticed it has a lot of trouble in the general vicinity. Anyone want to make a recommendation? I tried a Cingular phone in my house and it didn't work very well either. Anyone having a good experience with Sprint or Verizon?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: which mobile provider is best?
Posted by: drymouth ()
Date: July 28, 2005 08:51PM

Good luck. Verizon isnt any better.

I usually get one or two bars, then every five minutes it will cut out.

Posted by: kklare ()
Date: July 30, 2005 04:10PM

i switched from sprint to verizon, and they are both equally crappy. i average about two dropped calls per day, mostly when i'm at home. it sucks but it's a pain in the ass to switch, so i'm pretty much screwed for now.

Posted by: tina ()
Date: August 05, 2005 10:34PM

Nextel is the best

Posted by: rstidman ()
Date: August 05, 2005 10:44PM

Nextel is crap

Date: August 05, 2005 11:25PM

Not really...

Posted by: rstidman ()
Date: August 05, 2005 11:40PM

No, really....

Date: August 10, 2005 08:21PM

Yes, really

Posted by: SRE ()
Date: August 11, 2005 08:36AM

Really?

Posted by: Randy ()
Date: August 17, 2005 12:30PM

No one carrier has great coverage of the whole DC Metro area. Nextel works well for me 99% of the time where I live and work Fairfax Circle and Tysons.

Posted by: truthserum ()
Date: August 20, 2005 10:18PM

Sprint coverage has been fine for me throughout the metro area, with two very notable exceptions: coming through the Springfield Interchange, if I am coming from Alexandria and headed onto 95 south, I lose signal right at the heart of the interchange; on the FFX county parkway, between Rolling Road and Sydenstricker, the signal dies down in the valley.

Signal ain't the issue with Sprint; its their "vershtunk" "from hunger" crappy billings. I have had nothing but billing errors from more than six months. Everytime I get a bill, I drink a bottle of Mylanta, take a bottle of Excedrin, and then call.

Happy Hunting

Posted by: phillip ()
Date: August 26, 2005 09:34AM

Cingular is the best.Sprint,TMobile and nextell are terrible.

Posted by: Scout 740Baker ()
Date: September 16, 2005 07:36PM

I live in Burke/the edge of Springfield, but I'm in Burke all the time. Cingular sucked, got rid of them. Verizon doesn't work at all at my house. I'm on Nextel now and I've been happy with it. Seems to work most everywhere, even in the bowels of Clifton where I could never get a signal with anything else.

Posted by: chris ()
Date: December 15, 2005 01:00PM

I moved to burke and switched to cingular, and told the guy i live in burke, i need the phone to get signal in the basement of my townhouse, I'll pay what it costs. I figured he show me to the most expensive samsung phone/PDA combo, but he handed me the Nokia 6230 and sold it to me w/ a 2 year agreement for 100 bucks. He said nokias have the best RF technology out today and they just get better signal than other phones, flat out. He said take it home try it out, if it doesnt get signal to bring it back and i could try another, but he gauranteed me that that phone would work out. The phone gets full bars where my Verizon got none. In fact this phone very rarely drops out on me anywhere. if you're in burke, get yourself a new nokia from Cingular.

Posted by: Joel ()
Date: April 25, 2006 12:46PM

if you actually want to call someone and talk to them, don't get nextel. if all your friends have nextel and you like having a phone chirp at you and people just starting to say shit like "hey did the doctor say anything about your urethral infection?" (if, by chance, you have a urethral infection. i don't because i'm the man, but it COULD happen) immediately over a loud annoying speaker, then have at it. direct connect sucks. all their phones are massive. i don't feel like carrying rock / egg shaped telephones in my pocket. not to mention that if i send a text message to a friend with nextel, they get it about a week after i sent it. shitty.

verizon does shitty things to their phones like remove full bluetooth capability and trick you into thinking you can actually file transfer between computer and phone, which you can't. - 'Verizon advertised the Motorola V710 as having full Bluetooth capability, when in reality it had no OBEX or OPP functions built in. After many complaints, a class action suit was filed for false advertising, not only for advertising missing capabilities, but also for telling customers who complained to Verizon that an update was coming out "in November.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_Wireless

T Mobile is complete garbage, and that stupid sassy bitch in their commercials really bothers me.

i had a nokia and now a razr through cingular and couldn't be happier. i get completely full service in and around clifton, fairfax station, etc. "Scout 740Baker" seems to have problems with this, but what has probably happened is that he isn't as cool a person as i am.

Date: April 26, 2006 12:05AM

Heh, speaking of people direct connecting and saying whatever at the worst possible moment. One night one of my friends headed off to the bathroom and left his nextel speaker on. So we direct connected him while he was in the bathroom and made groaning and grunting noises. Needless to say he was a bit pissed when he got back.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: August 17, 2006 02:49PM

I am real pissed with Verizon. Borrowed a friend's phone, Razr, cincular, worked great, 3 bars most places. I got a verizon razr cheaper b/c verzion is my landline, but 1 bar every where. even clifton. I was told i could transfer pics (camera is better in cingular razr than VZ) with 50 dollar usb cable, and nope, that feature is removed on VZ, but its ok on Cingular. Have to pay to send a pic to this VZ site and then dl to my comp. Thats how I got those flood pics through.

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: August 17, 2006 04:33PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am real pissed with Verizon. Borrowed a friend's
> phone, Razr, cincular, worked great, 3 bars most
> places. I got a verizon razr cheaper b/c verzion
> is my landline, but 1 bar every where. even
> clifton. I was told i could transfer pics (camera
> is better in cingular razr than VZ) with 50 dollar
> usb cable, and nope, that feature is removed on
> VZ, but its ok on Cingular. Have to pay to send a
> pic to this VZ site and then dl to my comp. Thats
> how I got those flood pics through.

I have had three - or is it four Verizon phones now without issues. I can get calls, make calls - but not drop calls.

My brother, who is on another network, knows exactly where his calls will drop - hmmm....

After years of great service (in this county), I have no complaints.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: August 28, 2006 10:35AM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> I am real pissed with Verizon. Borrowed a friend's
> phone, Razr, cincular, worked great, 3 bars most
> places. I got a verizon razr cheaper b/c verzion
> is my landline, but 1 bar every where. even
> clifton. I was told i could transfer pics (camera
> is better in cingular razr than VZ) with 50 dollar
> usb cable, and nope, that feature is removed on
> VZ, but its ok on Cingular. Have to pay to send a
> pic to this VZ site and then dl to my comp. Thats
> how I got those flood pics through.

I guess this would be a response from someone not technically savvy enough about phones to know that bars mean squat, especially when comparing different carriers. Even more especially when comparing different cellular technologies as you are here.

But the complaint about Verizon locking out features like pic transfers is legitimate. Though the phone's insides can be edited to allow pic and ringtone transfers with Motorola PhoneTools. As for the "$50" USB cable, the RAZR will work with a regular miniUSB cable... like the ones that7 come with many digital cameras.

One tip with the pix messaging... you should be able to email wallpapers to your phone as long as they are 220x176 JPGs. I have had luck sending ten of these as attachments in one email and having it count as only one picture message for charge purposes. Send to KeepOnTruckinsnumber@vzwpix.com from your PC and it should land right in your phone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2006 10:40AM by pgens.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: January 08, 2007 07:14PM

Hey thanks pgens. But I was using phone tools and it woulend let me transfer pics. Everything else worked. I called up the tech support and they were who told me it couldn't be done. I will try the wallpaper idea. I tried a regualr mini USB and the computer didnt see the phone. And yes it did cost 50 dollars for USB and cd with drivers.

Posted by: EAT ME ()
Date: January 08, 2007 07:54PM

Cingular sucks balls, the sistas that work customer service there are bitches and need to be slapped.

Go ahead and call them and see what I mean.

Verizon is the way to go.

Posted by: myspaceaddict ()
Date: March 06, 2007 04:18PM

Nextel won't work on Burke Commons Pkwy, in the Giant SC and the Walmart SC... doesn't work in my apt either :( Neither does the boyfriends verizon phone.

Posted by: nraeagle ()
Date: July 20, 2008 09:35PM

Nextel will not work in any building. Not in Wal Mart or Home Depot or in grocery stores. My contract is up in Sept. looking for another provider also. Have had family members change to Verizon after 8 years with Nextel, no complaints so far.

Posted by: DanielLee5 ()
Date: July 16, 2022 03:16AM

Verizon is not bad, but I prefer metro by tmobile. No matter how often I use metro by tmobile customer service number I always get qualified and effective support, meanwhile other providers can't boast with the same level of the customer care, just my humble opinion.

Posted by: DIE SPAMMER!!!!! ()
Date: October 17, 2022 02:29PM

DanielLee5 Wrote:
> Verizon is not bad, but I prefer metro by tmobile.
> No matter how often I use href="https://metro-by-tmobile.pissedconsumer.com/
> customer-service.html">metro by tmobile customer
> service number
I always get qualified and
> effective support, meanwhile other providers can't
> boast with the same level of the customer care,
> just my humble opinion.

Eat shit and die spammer

file.php?40,file=495505,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=494999,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=485077,filename=BBC10.g

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.