HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Springfield :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Principal Renee C Miller at Keene Mill Elementary
Posted by: Concerned Parent at KMES ()
Date: January 15, 2016 11:27AM

First and foremost, I have kids at Keene Mill. They have not been in trouble and our experience with teachers and staff has been fantastic. I do not work for FCPS in any capacity.

That being said, I'd love to find out where I can provide feedback to the county and if there is a community evaluation for Principal Miller?

Culture and community start at the top of any school. We attend many community events and never see her (spelling bee, fun night, back to school, conferences, you name it). I visit school 2-3 times per month and never see her. When working with teachers for needs/parties/activities and class policies all decisions are deferred to Principal Miller and the teachers are noticeably not on good terms with her. At least the 5-6 teachers we have interacted with are not. The vibe we get is Principal Miller is a bit of an authoritarian and all about her career, not about much else. We have generally strict rules at home but my kids grumble about school rules constantly (no running on playground, lunchroom rules, politically correct approach from administration). They never complained about rules before we attended this school.

This could be a great community and AAP school but it seems void of real leadership and a sense of community and culture. It comes off as politically correct and all about how to make things look as conformist as possible. To me that starts at the top. I'd love to see a county evaluation and be able to, as a parent, provide feedback for contract renewal time for Principal Miller.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Principal Renee C Miller at Keene Mill Elementary
Posted by: thehouseofsam ()
Date: February 01, 2016 06:53PM

Your personality must clash with hers. That has got to be it.

I have been involved in the school for years. I didn't care for her at first but I realized that I was taking the personal approach. Mrs. Miller has proven to be a fantastic principal. I have seen her in the classroom, at events, at PTA meetings; I have had discussions regarding discipline and other issues. She has a passion for Keene Mill (students and teachers) and, unfortunately, she's been around for a while. Meaning, chances are she may have to leave at some point. I know for a fact faculty and staff, students and parents will be sad to see her leave.

I'm sorry that you have had such a bad experience with her. My hope is for you to see that not everyone feels the way you do. I know my words cannot change your mind. I only hope that when you do find an avenue to voice your concern that you would please do so constructively. Everyone can being it from constructive criticism. Thanks.

Posted by: Agreed ()
Date: March 15, 2016 11:47AM

Unfortunately the original poster is accurate. This is not a conflict with one personality. This is a very unwelcoming place over the past few years and staff has expressed their dissatisfaction with how they are treated. It's my understanding the wheels are in motion for some changes and the County is aware there are problems with leadership at this particular school.

Apparently this is not the first school where this has been an issue.

Posted by: We were glad she left ()
Date: March 15, 2016 12:18PM

Apparently you are not the only one..see this thread.

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/1192967.html

She was called "The Queen of Mean" at the last school. Based upon her warm demeanor, we understand why. Our kids were the first to point it out and they see right through her.

Posted by: We were glad she left ()
Date: March 15, 2016 12:20PM

Ouch....there are negative posts specific to her on Zillow as well where they rate schools.

http://www.zillow.com/springfield-va/schools/keene-mill-elementary-school-90785/

Posted by: Germaine ()
Date: April 09, 2016 11:38AM

I have to agree with your post.

At first, we liked Mrs. Miller and her administration, but as the years have gone by, we have become increasingly dissatisfied. And come to find out by talking with other parents, we are not the only ones.

I have two children who go there, one in the AAP program, and the other is not. Every little thing that a child does is considered wrong instead of it being something that they just do because they are kids. There is no tolerance for anything. Don't get me wrong, somethings should have no tolerance, such as bullying. But with silly childish things, they are going to be do that. To me it’s not the end of the world!

I have spoken to other parents whose children go to other schools. Their kids were accepted to the AAP program and went to KMES for one year, then their parents take them out. The reason: the administration. It's not just one or two parents who have said that. I have spoken to about a dozen who decided not to continue in the AAP program with KMES.

I also had a concern that I brought up to the principles about the PE teacher. My 2nd grader said that the teacher yells at them. During their square dancing time, my child said that the PE teacher was yelling at the kindergarten and first graders for not getting the dances right. REALLY! I mention that to the principals and they came back saying it’s because his voice carries. Some of the other parents I spoke who took their kids out of KMES, said they had the same issues.

Unfortunately, I live in the boundaries of KMES. However, we are looking to buy a house outside the boundaries because this.

And no it's not because of personality clashes.

Posted by: AngieD ()
Date: April 29, 2016 10:59AM

I have not had huge issues with Ms. Miller, my son is severely ADHD and Ms. Miller has given me her word they would utilize all avenues to help him and she followed through. Coming from Alexandria City schools I can tell you we are lucky to have a principal with such convictions about whats best for not only the students but the school as a whole. Now, having said that, if I get one more complaint about the PE teachers from either of my kids Ill be marching up to the school myself. I will not tolerate bullying in any capacity ESPECIALLY from a teacher. Both my son AND my daughter hate going to PE because of how they are treated by Mr. Bragg (SP.?) and my daughter is quiet and well behaved so if she has an issue I tend to believe her.

Posted by: Really?!? ()
Date: June 10, 2016 06:20PM

If Principal Miller were so obsessed with her career, one would expect that she would be at all of these events. Have you ever considered that perhaps she has a family and a life outside of school. Or perhaps that she may have children that are engaged and getting married? Actually, one of her children just got married a few weeks ago. Imagine the stress of planning a wedding compiled with the stress of running a school and dealing with whiny parents like you. What a nightmare!

Let's take this a step further. Have you ever tried to lead a faculty of 50+ underpaid teachers who are unmotivated, disillusioned, and frustrated with the system? Probably not. Principals get bad-mouthed whether they are good or bad, mainly because it's easier to complain about someone you actually know than someone higher up that doesn't have the time of day for you. Stop trying to nitpick at minor issues and question an individual's leadership style when you haven't even seen it in action.

Furthermore, I'm sorry that you're upset about the enforcement of rules to keep your children safe. I remember a series of unnecessary broken limbs and stitches occurring at my school due to horseplay at my elementary school. Rules are enacted to keep individuals safe. Oh, and about the whole "healthy eating" business, thank Michelle Obama for that one. And those "silly, childish things" that your child is in trouble for can get out of hand in an elementary classroom of 30 very quickly.

A principal's job is to defend their teachers when they are being bullied by parents, enforce rules to keep children safe, and to keep the school up and running. Principal Miller goes above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that Keene Mill is a safe, positive learning environment for her everyone. With regard to the "yelling" P.E. teacher, I'm certain that she has visited the P.E. classes and investigated the matter to either confirm or deny the allegations. Before attacking someone's character or leadership abilities, I would suggest at least trying to gain some perspective into the situations. As a nation, I have found that we are often too quick to react.

I would suggest

Posted by: Helicopter Parents ()
Date: June 11, 2016 08:16AM

I hate these fucking helicopter parents. Do something better with your lives instead of worrying about some principle of a school. Who the fuck cares, if your kids are doing well, no complaints on the school, kids achieving good scores. You act like they are babysitters! Go complain about why you can't return your item because you have no receipt and you think you are gods gift to parenting.

Posted by: Angel156 ()
Date: September 21, 2016 09:51PM

Talk to almost any teacher at Keene Mill and they will tell you that The principal is a controlling narcissist with a heart of steel. She is one of the most fake people I have ever met. She will smile at you one minute and stab you in the back the next. She is very condescending. I volunteer at the school and know many of the teachers. Trust seems to be a big problem. It's a very tense environment. It's a shame that her superiors don't get involved. My kids have loved most of their teachers and I've been impressed with what they do in the classroom, but leadership in the school is seriously flawed. I don't get the sense that she really believes in children first. She is more interested in controlling the environment, the children, the pta, and her staff.

Posted by: KenneMillFormerStudent ()
Date: January 19, 2017 09:28AM

I used to be a student at Keene Mill Elementary, and I just have to say this, she was probably the worst principal ever. She made kids uncomfortable, and was a very controlling person. She banned our Book Character Dress Up Day (Halloween dress-up), told us we were not allowed to say Merry Christmas and we weren't allowed to wear Christmas hats or do anything religion-related. I hope that the superiors to her get rid of her, because nobody could stand her. Please, take my advice and do not go to Keene Mill to be under her rule.

Posted by: Get Out ()
Date: April 23, 2018 09:07PM

She doesn't care for the students, she only cares about herself. She didn't provide proper solutions to bullying and disregarded it as kids being kids. She also refused to speak with my mother and claimed she needed a translator because of a communication gap. My mother attended high school and college in the United States and has no problem speaking and understanding English. She is just down right disrespectful! She is basically looking down on my mother because of her race/ethnicity.

Posted by: Annoying ()
Date: September 08, 2018 02:30PM

Ms Miller became asst principal at my elementary school when i was in 5th or 6th grade at Rolling Valley. I’m now in college... i assume this is the same principal. I looked at her picture online. As soon as she came along w another principal.. all of the teachers that everyone loved started leaving and going to other schools. I was a good kid in school but i remember having some problems with her. She suspended me for getting in an elevator with a friend whose leg was broken... i didn’t know i wasn’t allowed to, i was helping them carry their books. Which is btw still on my record, my parents were pissed, if it wasn’t for me moving onto middle school they would’ve moved me to another school. She’s definitely a bitch and shouldn’t be a principal if multiple people complain about her for the past 10 years.

Posted by: Parent of current student ()
Date: October 08, 2019 08:34PM

Bumping this back up. From my perspective this is still a significant issue. Anybody else have problems dealing with this administration?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.