HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Springfield :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Cult Activity
Posted by: Molly ()
Date: January 05, 2017 12:34AM

Hi there,

A few months ago I lost a friend to a religious group called SGI. Soka Gakkai International (SGI) is a global religious organization that spreads the teachings of Nichiren Buddhism.They operate from local community centers and private homes. My friend attended monthly youth meetings within other member's houses. She tried to explain to me the teachings of her new religion but I found them difficult to comprehend. She invited me to attend a meeting with her and I accepted.

When I attended the meeting, several red flags were raised. Everyone was courteous but a lot of special attention was given to me. I would say there were 30+ members in this small living room and every single person made their way to say "hello" to me. The importance of these meetings was to practice chanting. The purpose of the chanting was for self affirmation. Through this self affirming chant, "the chanter" was able to wish for what they wanted out of life. The group leader explicitly stated that it was okay to wish for materialistic items such as money or a new job. I found this shocking because I know traditional Buddhism is not associated with materialism.

After the meeting concluded, I was approached by the local recruiter. She asked me why I attended the meeting. I said I had come to support my friend. She questioned what I wanted to change about myself and what religion I currently belonged too. I faked an answer because I wasn't comfortable sharing that information with a person I had just met. Lastly, she inquired if I wanted to pay a small fee to receive a copy of their bible so I could study for their beginner membership test. I politely declined. Before the event was over, I was approached by a young man who invited me to come to a different youth group. He even hinted that we could go on a date afterwards.

As I reflected on the meeting I started to connect SGI to another more infamous cult, Scientology. I won't go into the rabbit hole but I feel the need to highlight the red flags. First, this group attempted to charm me by "accepting" me into the group and by having a young man befriend me. It felt like SGI needed me more than I needed them, it was desperate. Second, they tried to make me buy a membership. It's one thing to ask for a donation but entirely different to ask for a flat out fee. Third, in no way does SGI reflect Buddhism, a religion that was created to phase out materialism.

My friend invited me to a second meeting and I said that I was unavailable. When she invited me to a third meeting, I had to work that evening. I didn't hear from this friend for three weeks and reached out to her. I asked if I had offended her and if she was upset. She made a these vague comments about a conversation we had in the past. I tried to make the situation right by apologizing but I never heard back. She had cut all communication with me and deleted me from her social media accounts. If I could take ownership for the end of our friendship, I would but I can't recall anything I did wrong. SGI changed her and it is potentially harmful if it is to expand. Does anyone else have this experience?

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.