HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Springfield :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pedestrian woes
Posted by: jemelon ()
Date: December 21, 2009 07:32PM

A few weeks ago, I was walking to work as I do every day. Made it through the the OKM & Rolling intersection-barely. No one seems to care that a pedestrian has the walk light, They just run right through it turning left on red...until I have the don't cross signal again, but what ever, nothing new.

Back to this particular day, I was ready to cross Carleigh Pky when I noticed a car trying to turn right on red. Since she was looking to her left, so I did not attempt to cross even though I technically had the right of way. (crossing straight with the green light)

Anyway the man behind her was laying on the horn (just because one has the 'right' to turn on red, does not mean one is obligated to turn on red). Every time he did, she inched a little forward. When she noticed me, she waved me on. I started to walk but the man behind her honked again and she jumped fwd, again. So I stepped back on the curb and shook my head and motioned for her to go. She kept waving me on and he kept laying on the horn, Finally she motioned strongly for me to cross. So I did.

I get to the median and I hear. "Moron, you fucking moron. Took you long enough to cross you god damn fucking moron. Do you think you could walk any slower you fucking moron?"

I turned around, and the man who had been honking at the lady, was now yelling at me. Typically I ignore idiots like him. I had the right to cross when I did. By now his light is green. He's still repeating the above phase or some variation there of. I tried to yell, "I had the right of way." but he cut me of yelling "La! La! La! you fucking moron!" and continued repeating the above phrases. I don't know why, but I guess the So. Philly in me came out and I blew him a kiss. (mind now he has yet to turn right.. on green)

He grabbed his steering wheel as if he were holding on for life and screamed a deep throated, "You fucking whore!"

I actually felt a little fear and I'm not easily rattled. I've been walking the same route for six years and have encounter all sorts of crazy drivers. So, I just quickly crossed the rest of Carleigh and got the heck out of there, By the time it sunk in, I actually laughed out loud at how ridiculous it was. The fact that I blew him a kiss, the fact that I was called a fucking moron and a whore walking to work.

That evening, I told my family at the dinner table. On the way to school the next morning, my oldest told my middle child the story (she had been at work). They had a good laugh. That day in class, someone approached my daughter and asked her if her mother had been cursed out on the way to work. She said "yeah, why?"

The boy said, "My friend was on his was to school yesterday when he texted me saying, 'my dad is cursing out some poor lady trying to cross the road, I'm hiding in the back. OMG!!! it's Mrs.xxx!! OMG!!!"

OMG is right. I am a member of this community. I work at the neighborhood school. His child knows me. What if I was his wife and someone spoke to her that way? It was 7:30 a.m. and he was already that angry.

Know the fucking rules people before you drive. Red light means stop and yield to oncoming cars and pedestrians. That woman had every right to not turn on red and was following the law by making eye contact and letting me go.

He drives a late model white toyota (camry I believe). I wish I got the plate or the child's name so I could put the man on the police radar.

I know he technically didn't do anything illegal, but if that is how he treats a stranger at 7:30 in the morning in public, I can't imagine how he treats his own child or wife in the privacy of his own home after a long day at work.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pedestrian woes
Posted by: MAG ()
Date: December 23, 2009 11:47PM

I stopped at the crosswalk in front of WSHS to let a student, who was in the crosswalk, cross the street. A car drove up behind me and had to slam on the brakes and skid to a stop to avoid crashing into the rear of my truck... DANG, that was a close one... My poor ole heart was thumping in my chest.... I thought drivers had to give pedestrians the right of way when they were in the crosswalk, but I almost paid the price of getting slammed into.

Posted by: Dangerous to cross Rolling Rd ()
Date: March 22, 2010 10:09PM

I saw this same thing happen right in front of WSHS when a band student was trying to cross from the Carleigh neighborhood to get to a band practice. I was behind the driver who was turning right out of WSHS (after just dropping my son off for the practice) and thinking the driver in front of me would wait for the girl. The girl started to cross Rolling Road toward the high school and the car whipped out and OMG---the poor girl nearly got hit---she ran back to the median strip visibly shaken. It was terrifying to watch. I don't understand why people don't give pedestrians the right of way. It is so busy there at times and the moment was right for her to make her away across---IMO it's more than courteous to wait. I was really expecting the car in front of me to wait for her . . . Maybe they need a flashing pedestrian sign there?

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: March 23, 2010 10:35AM

Maybe drivers need to pay attention to driving instead of their telephones and radios and coffee and whatever else they come up with that they *think* they can do while behind the wheel of a vehicle.

Probably be a lot less accidents overall.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.