HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
McLean :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
what the hell
Posted by: kumanji ()
Date: March 30, 2005 06:19PM

what the fuck is this. chantilly has like a bizillion posts and we've got jack shit? why the fuck are they so special? oooo fair oaks mall... whoopdie fucking do. come on guys get on it

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what the hell
Posted by: rossafenton ()
Date: April 07, 2005 12:59PM

Sterling is where it's happening!

camarofanz <-- aim

Ross

represent!
Posted by: Bane of McLean ()
Date: April 21, 2005 11:26AM

Where all of the McLean people at? I know there's got to be some.

Posted by: rstidman ()
Date: April 21, 2005 03:37PM

I've noticed in the travels of my job that the richer they are, the less likely they are to be into a site like this, or less likely to be savvy about anything having to do with the net in general. Your average McLeaner has no idea a sight like this or craigslist or "whatever"even exists at all. They're too busy living in the McLean Bubble, a social phenomenon I wish to document and film that has not yet been explored by doctors. It has to do with being wealthy, but not wealthy enough... you're always reaching for some strata of wealth that is just beyond, so the little things that make life move for the rest of us are not welcome, if they even had time for them, which they do not. The life of the average McLean family is very sad.

Date: April 22, 2005 10:53AM

True. I'm living in a basement and spend most of my non-work, non-sleeping time in DC, so I don't get to cash in on the McLean social scene that much. Although, if you want to document it and all, go to Amerigo's Friday night. That's a (semi-)trip.

Posted by: hi-lander ()
Date: April 28, 2005 04:22PM

Well,

To all mcleaners ... FYI 99.999% of mclean is an anti social community of snobs... But the good thing is that FFC is turning it into Alexandria by allowing more commercial buldings built and more hi rises put up...

Real Estate market is Droppin like a Bolder and Builders are gettin ready fer Bankrupcies... This is great...

... Oh Did I mention we need more streets in McLean.?

Posted by: PhilLesh ()
Date: May 21, 2005 01:40AM

Bane of McLean Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> True. I'm living in a basement and spend most of
> my non-work, non-sleeping time in DC, so I don't
> get to cash in on the McLean social scene that
> much. Although, if you want to document it and
> all, go to Amerigo's Friday night. That's a
> (semi-)trip.

Dude, have you eaten in any of the mclean restaurants? They're all basically worse than cafeteria food. Mclean family restaurant is lower than diner food, and yet there's lines out the door for breakfast and dinner.

Basically, the mclean resident is, in general, successful beyond their class level. In other words, they're all from small towns out in some backwater place. The only thing they know or understand is to show money to fit in, flash and showing off are the order of the day. Buy a big car. Oh wait, they saw on TV that SUVs are the "in thing", so now they have to buy the biggest SUV they can find. And they still think cell phones are the big class symbol, so they all make sure to keep their cell phones up to their ears while they drive, I'm sure at least some aren't even talking to anyone, but just want to make sure others see that they have one, and are "important enough" to be using it.

They're mindless idiots. Seriously. I live in Mclean, and let me tell you, they are mostly a bunch of backwater fools.

Plus, the majority of them are flaming alcoholics. Self-important idiots. They truly believe that either the world revolves around them, or that when they close their eyes, everyone else ceases to exist. They're a bunch of losers with a little bit of money.

Sorry fools with enough money to think they're important. But not enough money to actually BE important.

Hell, I've had idiots run stop signs, then stop and bitch me out for having the right-of-way. They truly don't get it, they're lost in the world of mainstream TV and self-importance.

I only live here for the appreciation. I bought a house for 415,000 in 2002. It's now worth 700,000. Can't complain about that. But I can complain about the morons I live with.

Posted by: PhilLesh ()
Date: May 21, 2005 02:10AM

rstidman Wrote:
> I've noticed in the travels of my job that the
> richer they are, the less likely they are to be
> into a site like this, or less likely to be savvy
> about anything having to do with the net in
> general. Your average McLeaner has no idea a
> sight like this or craigslist or "whatever"even
> exists at all. They're too busy living in the
> McLean Bubble, a social phenomenon I wish to
> document and film that has not yet been explored
> by doctors. It has to do with being wealthy, but
> not wealthy enough... you're always reaching for
> some strata of wealth that is just beyond, so the
> little things that make life move for the rest of
> us are not welcome, if they even had time for
> them, which they do not. The life of the average
> McLean family is very sad.

Seriously, make the documentary. These people are outrageous. They really live in a world all about themselves. They'll pull the most outrageously stupid maneuver in traffic, and if you have the nerve to chastise them by honking your horn to warn them that they're about to slam into you, they'll stalk you down the road, enraged that you had the nerve to honk at them and point out their stupidity.

They are the worst example of "A type personalities" run wild.

Plus, they are self-righteous and very misguided in their views and opinions. For example, a neighbor, a divorced woman, has a teenaged son that is obviously dealing marijuana. In fact, I know it for a fact. But I rented a room to a deadbeat loser dirtbag. So I'm the neighborhood pariah now. I'm the suspect, while her son has 10 or 20 cars "stop by to pick up a CD" every day from 2:30 until about midnight or 1am. (This was her answer when I asked her about all the traffic to her backdoor every day, her son was "just lending a CD to a friend"). So when my tenant bought marijuana from her son (which is why I know he's a dealer), bought alcohol for his friends, which they subsequently got busted by the police for drinking in the park down the street, then I'm the big problem in the neighborhood. Because I sold alcohol to her lost-child. I'm the big pariah. I'm the one who's causing her kid's friends to knock down her brick wall by being too fucked up to drive, jumping a curb and slamming into it. It's all me. I'm the problem. (even though I kicked the shithead out after 2 months because I couldn't tolerate that behavior).

I guess since she's the president of the HOA, she can rationalize that she must just by defualt be a good person, and then by default again, so must her son be, and that anyone that mistakenly rents out a room to a shitbag must be the problem.

Fortunately, they're all idiots. This woman is probably the biggest tramp I've ever seen, and she has a 17 or 18 year old son, so you know she's had years of practice at being a tramp.

And she drives an entry-level BMW, so you know she's just trying to elevate her self-worth by impressing everyone. This woman dresses up to take her son's pit bulls for a walk. Oh yea, did I mention her son thinks he's a wanksta? He blasts the lamest gangsta rap music, annoys the shit out of the entire neighborhood, while I might turn up a rare song or two a week and get dozens of complaints from my neighbors. I guess if you do it all the time, everyone learns to live with it, or are afraid of her "wigger" child. But if you do it occassionaly, it's the crime of the century. Who knows how these idiot's minds work.

Date: May 21, 2005 08:53PM

wait wait wait

what's the phone number for the neighbor's son? and his operating hours?

Posted by: ben ()
Date: May 22, 2005 10:05AM

rstidman Wrote:
> wait wait wait
>
> what's the phone number for the neighbor's son?
> and his operating hours?

Do you really want to smoke high-school grade shwag? Yikes.

Date: May 22, 2005 04:57PM

no

Date: May 26, 2005 09:42AM

Yeah, well I wouldn't mind getting with one of these mature women of McLean. They can take care of me, while I take care of them.

Posted by: Mcleaner ()
Date: July 04, 2005 06:31PM

I agree there isn't much of a variety as far as food is concerned in Mclean. However, guy who wrote about the Mclean Family Restaurant is out of his mind. Everyone i have ever spoken to about the place have only had positive comments and i think the food is exceptional. Its the best place in town.

Posted by: Kotario ()
Date: July 05, 2005 02:22AM

'eh, McLean really isn't my favorite place to eat, the choices are limited, and mostly average. That's my experience with the McLean Family Restaurant, the food is average and the service ranges from bad to average (though it looks like they are overworked). The only place I eat at regularly in Mclean is Corkie's, and that's because it's a stone's throw away.

It's strange, the people in my immediate area are decent enough (made up of young, professional couples with very young children and older couples with adult children who are out of the house). Everytime I go on the road though, I immediately encounter the usual died blonds with huge SUVs and the self important types who can't bother with stop signs or lanes. McLean must be relatively full of them.

Posted by: HITTHEBONG420 ()
Date: August 05, 2005 10:12AM

cool lets stereotype wealthy people as gas guzzling, inconsiderate assholes which have nothing better to do than piss you off and show off... Idiots

Date: August 05, 2005 11:54AM

um, we stereotype them that way because that is what they do, you bat-blind heap of dogshit.

Posted by: Freddie ()
Date: August 29, 2005 09:28PM

I like both McLean Family Restaurant and Corkie's. I've eaten in both places many times.

I've lived in McLean for over 25 years and I rarely come across bad drivers. Sure, I see them every once in a while, but no more then anywhere else.

Posted by: McLean-Rules ()
Date: November 27, 2005 10:42PM

HITTHEBONG420 Wrote:
> cool lets stereotype wealthy people as gas
> guzzling, inconsiderate assholes which have
> nothing better to do than piss you off and show
> off... Idiots

Hey you need to go flip the burgers now.

Posted by: Someone ()
Date: March 18, 2006 09:17PM

Fairfax County in general is all about this shit.

There's nothing you can do here that you can't do elsewhere, well perhaps it's a little easier to get a pathetic government job where you'll hate your idiotic co-workers and be denied social security if your too young. (And there's a hell of a lot more things to do elsewhere than there is here)

People love to think this place is a "Great place to raise your kids" what they don't realize is we're right smack dab in the middle of the biggest drug trafficing highway on the east coast. (95) So you'd think DC would be getting some pretty good shit right? Nah, it's the suburbs around DC that got the money to afford it.

What's so bad about too much drugs? Well kids are bored thanks to jackshit to do for fun around here and stupid to boot, they take ecstacy like it was pez or some shit. (Say hello to my friend "Swiss Cheese for Brains") They toke till they ain't got the motivation to even move or leave their houses anymore. They get "Crunk" as those wiggas love to say it and speed in their parents cars crashing into shit and killing themselves.

Then the next greatest thing happens. Kids have to deal with their friends that they grew up with dying before their very eyes basically. If that's not depressing, I don't know what is.

What happens when kids get depressed? They do more drugs. So, we have a nice little vicious cycle going on here that just seems to keep getting worse.

Looking for a "Great Place to Raise your Kids?" try Japan, try some small little podunk town in the middle of the US. Anywhere but here.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: March 19, 2006 08:22PM

Yes, emulating Japan is the answer. Pay no mind to the highest-per-capita-in-the-world suicide rate.

Posted by: B ()
Date: June 21, 2006 01:15PM

I think, for the most part, everyone has made a good point about the problems with McLean. I do agree that McLean is probably not the best place to raise children cuz they will emerge as products of the Mclean way of life...bored, unmotivated, and unappreciative. But, at the same time, Mclean does have a lot to offer to these "enterprising" families. Though some people in mclean who, for one reason or another, do perpetuate the snob stereotype, there are just as many who strive to live here, once again, for one reason or another, whether it be to get a sweet job, send your kids to some of the best public schools in the COUNTRY, or just live in the ultimate suburb. As a teenager and a member of a family who used to live in Fairfax City and then moved to Mclean to "reap the benefits", I can definitely see where all of you guys come from on issues like how drugs are so prevelant in the area, that there are shitty drivers and lots of traffic, not a lot to do at night (D.C. is sweet tho), and that yes, MFR (mclean family restaurant) does serve horrible food but never fails to please me. All I can say is that in the big scheme of things, i'd rather live in mclean than say springfield or leesburg.

Posted by: G-town piker ()
Date: August 09, 2006 12:12PM

i like mclean, its quiet (unless i'm out back lighting off fireworks) and right next to DC, clean, lots of parks and trails, and right next to the Potomac river, its the perfect place 4 me

Posted by: AntiMcLeanist ()
Date: August 15, 2006 02:36PM

Yeah,
McLean sucks donkey balls. Just look at the way its downtown was designed...or, rather, not designed. Major roads split the whole thing into pieces. It's the most pedestrian UNfriendly place in Northern Virginia.
And the people...Ah!!! The people of McLean, clueless yuppies in general, all of them trying to be the big fish in their own little pond...pathetic, materialistic snobs who will tear down any of the historic buildings left, including the old firehouse, to make way for another Starbucks. I'm praying for a natural disaster.

Date: August 15, 2006 02:46PM

mclean has no downtown, it's not a town.

Posted by: AntiMcLeanist ()
Date: August 16, 2006 07:02PM

Whatever, you know what I mean.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 05, 2006 08:57PM

tear down ... including the old firehouse

The Old Firehouse is still there. What the fuck is that place anyway?

mclean has no downtown, it's not a town

McLean has a downtown area.

It's the most pedestrian UNfriendly place in Northern Virginia.

The center of McLean is more pedestrian friendly than most places in FFX. Alot better than places like Reston or Herndon (unless you count that 'town center' in Reston).

honestly whoever is what the hell is the most backwards mother fucker in the world
Date: October 12, 2006 09:30PM

ok bro..... first of all i moved to mclean in fourth grade after living in france for three yaers, and before that california. i speak french and spanish, i have a tight tight group of friends who all live in mclean or great falls. you wrote a blog on here about one of my dearest friends who lives in kings manor... i understand if you dont exactly adore the place your living but you know nothing about my friend, you know knothing about his life or his mothers, and frankly you know nothing about anyone who lives in mclean. i havent lived there to long, and right now im in costa rica where im liveing for 6 months, but dont your dare judge the place where my friends are... how stupid are you.... its easy to critisize everybody without a thought but i mean really dont be imature, and this is coming from an 18 year old... mclean has its problems, but it is the place i met my true brothers for life. We are all the same. just ease up ok... im sure if i knew you i could make fun of your week points too but why do you think you better then everyone else

fuck you
Posted by: sam ()
Date: October 12, 2006 09:36PM

i just finished ready all your posts and you are truñy a pice of shit no good mother fucker.... cleary you know nothing about wherer you live so just shut the fuck up. your probly some pedifile mother fucker that has nothing better to do then dream.... i mean realy, ok your not rich, neither am i. alot of my friends are but you know what they werernt born making money im sorry they were born rich. too bad your parents had a homo depressed piece of shit mother fucker..... fuck you dont talk about what you dont know.

Re: fuck you
Posted by: sam ()
Date: October 12, 2006 10:59PM

god what the fuck are you guys talking about. are you jealous you cant afford to live in the nice parts of mclean, well niether can i.... honestly shut the fuck up. your so depressing bad mputhing mclean, well who the fuck are you. ok just leave it alone. there are much bigger problems in the world then hy so sand so doenst like mclean. shut the fuck up, you lonely depressed mother fuckers. suck your own dicks, dont try and suck ours, we have our own life.

Wow
Posted by: Kings Manor ()
Date: October 22, 2006 02:49AM

Wow, I feel special, my neighborhood was mentioned. Oh, and by the way, I am from old money but I dont need to by a palace to show it. So where does this kid live anyway?

Posted by: badassmofo ()
Date: October 28, 2006 11:09AM

First, Ichiban and the Italian Oven (it will ALWAYS be the Italian Oven, shut up)...second, yes there are idiot rich people and they are annoying, but if they weren't there then it wouldn't be mclean and there wouldn't be anything to bitch about...and finally, if you don't like it you should have atleast enough money to live somewhere else so go move there and forget you ever lived in McLean, we won't miss you, infact, we might be able to buy your airline ticket there for you (offer good only within the continental United States)

Stop giving us this crap
Posted by: Lola ()
Date: January 15, 2007 04:48PM

Dear Everyone,
Hi I am Lola and have lived in Mclean Virginia since kindergarten. I think that the sterotype you put on me and all my friends and family is horrible you are all just jelous because you can't afford a nice home because you didnt go to a good college or college at all. Don't beat up Mclean because we don't have a great down town or the best drivers in the usa. And, who cares if Mclean Family restuarants food isnt the best? I go there for a church bibly study group every week and it looks to me like everyone is having a great time. I have known the he owner of Mclean Family since kindergarten and he does a great job. Kings Manor rocks! A ton of my friends live in there and I have so many memories on that playground from when i was little. So back off and stop giving us crap.

Finally a good word
Posted by: Lola ()
Date: January 15, 2007 04:50PM

thanks for acually relizing mclean rocks and theyre just jelous of it

Posted by: Lolaisaretard ()
Date: January 16, 2007 03:48PM

acually
relizing
theyre
jelous

Posted by: Good Speller ()
Date: January 16, 2007 07:17PM

Lola,

There is no way in hell that you can tie your own shoes, I'm sure of it.

Posted by: NJ ()
Date: February 03, 2007 11:58PM

I just moved to mclean from Chesapeak VA. let me tell you something. I'm military, so i move a lot. of ALL the places i've lived (Florida, Kansas, California, New York, Panama, North Carolina) Mclean sucks the most. by Far. If you like mclean, you need to get out and see some other places. There are a lot of problems with the area and the school. First off, it's just one giant residential neighbourhood. A suburb, full of rich people, who think life's all about education and making lots of money to drive nice cars. For god's sake, the average home in the area's at least a million bucks. (my family rents our house). The school is run by an administration that focuses solely on being ranked the number 1 school in VA. It's extremely sytematic around here, every school day is exactly the same, and they give way too much homework. They take all the enjoyement out of everything. And, there's absolutlely nothing to do but go to the mall (which is too expensive anyway...11 bucks for a movie?!?!? it's 7 in any sane place.)

Date: February 04, 2007 12:13AM

I think 7 is too much for a movie... movie tickets should be a loss leader to sell concessions.

but yeah, mclean is a drunken yuppie shithole.

Date: February 06, 2007 09:16PM

>who cares if Mclean Family restuarants food isnt the best?

I don't know why people rag on that place, it ain't great but it's not bad. I love going in there for a cup of coffee and a club sandwich. It's certainly better than The Silver Diner, or most other diner food options in FFX county.

>every school day is exactly the same, and they give way too much homework

I didn't grow up here and I know absolutely nothing about the schools around here. But aren't most public schools based on routine things like learning and homework?

>The school is run by an administration that focuses solely on being ranked the number 1 school in VA.

LOL. Maybe they should change to a cirriculum that shoots for the top 100-200 ranking?

>full of rich people, who think life's all about education and making lots of money to drive nice cars

I'm not rich, haven't attended any school since the early 90's, and my car is 10 years old and has close to 150K on it.

>11 bucks for a movie?!?!?

If you're referring to the new Tysons theaters, yeah, that's ridiculous. I think it's 10.50. But, I only go to the real early matinees, and that's 7.50, plus it's not crawling with the annoying 'mall crowd'.

>but yeah, mclean is a drunken yuppie shithole.

It's a hell of alot nicer than the places I've lived in PA, PG County, or Centreville. But I'll happily agree with the drunken part.

>So back off and stop giving us crap.

Damn straight. You go girl.

Posted by: NJ ()
Date: February 10, 2007 09:43PM

Look, What I meant was, the school is willing to sacrifice practicality in order to be ranked high. The rating system that's used determines a school's 'value' by assigning points to things like, the amount of AP tests given, passed, the amount of successful attendance, SOL scores, and graduation rates. This all seems fine and dandy, but the school has done ridiculous things, like limiting honors classes, so students are forced to take AP, installing the new tardy policy that allows students 3 (unexcused) absences a quarter before failing. The administration's goal is not, "let's be the best school we can, and let's give these kids a really great education," it's "let's focus on being ranked #1 (for God knows why)."

It's true, most schools are routine, I'll admit you got me there. The homework however, is ridiculous. I understand it might seem like a good idea to give homework, but teacher's are goaded into giving more homework by the administration, and they often give homework that's totally unnecessary and unfruitful.

There is a substantially higher amount of money in Mclean than the vast majority of the VA, and the US for that matter. I don't mean to say that everyone is rich, or that rich people are inherently evil or anything, but you have to admit, a lot of people loose sight of priorities around here, and focus on money and their jobs, instead of their families or happiness. It's depressing to see people spend good money on unnecessary things like nice cars, ridiculously large houses, and expensive suits.

I do commend you for your optimism in spite of living around here, and maybe it's me who's got it all wrong as far as disliking it. I'm a kind of 'free soul' neo-hippie, so I might just be frustrated with suburbia and this endless cycle of school and bullshit. I also have a general dislike for the rich, and their inability to share their wealth with the poor, and use it on unimportant indulgences for themselves (keep in mind, I realize I'm not referring to everyone rich).

Bottom line, Mclean may be a nice place to live and work for some, but others, like myself, can't stand the place for various reasons. As for the schools, I honestly believe they could use some reform, and chill out a bit about ratings, homework and attendance.

PS thanks for the tip on early matinées :)

Date: February 11, 2007 12:38AM

The tardy policy can hardly be called "new", unless you are so old that things that are 15 years old are "new" by perspective.

When I went to Franklin Intermediate and Oakton high, the 3 unexcused absences rule was a county rule. Being late for class more than ten minutes counted just as much as missing the whole class. If you were less than ten minutes late 3 times, you got an unexcused absence also. So being late to class less than ten minutes 9 times in one quarter would fail you, also.

Posted by: The Congressman ()
Date: February 11, 2007 02:18AM

3 unexcused absences in a quarter is 12/year. I finished my time in FCPS in 1995 but i think the rule back then was 5/semester. I could be wrong, but if you are missing that many, and can't find some acceptable excuse, well, you deserve to fail.

Date: February 11, 2007 02:45AM

When I was in fcps in 95, it was 3 unexcused absences a quarter....I remember having to beg my teacher in one class to give me a tardy instead of an unexcused absence once, to avoid failing.

Date: February 12, 2007 02:37PM

Man, I don't remember the specific policy, but when I was in school, you'd get detention if you were late just once, and if you were a repeat offender, they'd give you in-school suspension.

Posted by: Escapee ()
Date: March 04, 2007 03:21PM

I grew up in McLean, from the time I was 4 until I was 14, when I thankfully moved to Montgomery County, MD. I am the only member of my family (4 older siblings) to NOT graduate from McLean High, and let me tell you - it is a FUCKING JOKE that that school is ranked as high as it is. There may be some good students there who test well & help them rank high, but the adminstration has completely abandoned the average student. I say this as someone who ended up scoring 1460 on the old 1600 possible SAT's and is now a lawyer - and who was completely failing out when I transferred schools. If you aren't a rich kid, or if you're not an athlete, they don't give a rat's ass about you. I'll freely admit that part of my problem as a teenager was over-exposure to spoiled rich kids with too much freedom, and too many drugs - but more than anything, that school cultivates an attitude of spoiled indulgence for some, and oblivion for the rest. With the exception of ONE good teacher (Henry, the German teacher) nobody seemed to notice or give a rat's ass that I went from an over-achieving "TEP" kid scoring A's in Honors classes, to a kid who showed up drunk or high for class & was failing English - this after being freaking published at 10. If you aren't a rich kid, or you don't play sports - or more likely, if your mommy & daddy aren't connected, you're on your own... THANK GOD the rent got too high for my working class folks & we moved to Maryland... Montgomery County may be equally over-priced these days, but the schools are ten times better, and they actually care about ALL of their students, not just the ones in AP classes...

Posted by: Tex ()
Date: April 15, 2007 10:31PM

Oh man, this is hilarious. I really don't see why everyone is coming dow so hard on Mclean. I worked as a nanny there for 4 consecutive summers to some military family-- a Marine and a NCIS. Yeah, it's a lot of 'face time' with insufferable money, old AND new. I think it's paradoxically quaint, though. Mclean Family Restaurant is still the only place I'll eat and eggplant parm hoagie, and the folks running Moorenko's were pretty much the only people who gave me the time of day.
In 4 consecutive summers, I made friends with just that one guy. Maybe it won't mean much, but I'm a pretty attractive Texan girl, outgoing personality, and I was single 2 of the summers I was there. Nothing. I'm not complaining, the guys were pretty 'cookie cutter' for my taste, but it was... wow.
Mclean will always hold a special place in my heart. Just the mentallity of the people, compared to what I come from, made it a total vacation form reality. It was sometimes just surreal. Like taking my young ward out to the mall with her friends, and the friends complaining about just getting $50 to spend, and not $100... Somebody save those kids, because if I ever hear one of them complain that they got a brand new car but not a fully loaded brand new car, and now they have to get a parttime job to pay their own gas... I can't be held accountable for my actions.

Posted by: dontgivea ()
Date: July 20, 2007 12:42AM

we keep to ourselves because we dont want any trash here. it's one of the few places in ffx that you dont have to be worry about looking at a MS-13 member the wrong way or locking your doors. Why? because it is exclusive and doesn't have a hardcore downtown area. I have lived in other area's and believe me i rather have it like this. And no i dont drive a bentley or live in a $5mill house.

Posted by: Jickler ()
Date: August 05, 2007 09:56PM

Whoah, whoa, whoa, you can call McLeanites rich assholes, which may very well be true, but you don't go dising our food. Seriously, it's the only thing to do here. But we do it well...MFR, Rocco's, Ichiban, McLean Pizza (amazing), Three Pigs (okay, kinda nasty..), Moby Dick's and Madison Deli. Don't go dissing our food. Them fightin' words.

Date: August 07, 2007 06:06PM

You forgot Listrani's (best italian subs in the local tysons/vienna/falls church area.)

I like the old school feel of Rocco's, but I've never been impressed with their food. Their italian subs are pretty awful actually.

Posted by: Blindside ()
Date: August 17, 2007 03:20PM

NJ Wrote:
> And, there's absolutlely nothing to do
> but go to the mall

Great Falls Park? Wolf Trap? DC right over the bridge?

Posted by: ladymacb29 ()
Date: September 22, 2007 09:54PM

...back on the 'where to eat in Mclean' topic, Pasa Thai's really good - behind the *good* Safeway. I'm addicted to their Pineapple Ginger Chicken.

Date: September 23, 2007 09:13AM

Pasa Thai's really good

That place is good, I sorta forgot it was even there. Only been in there once though, and I don't remember what I had, but I remember really liking it. Asian Corner is also a good Thai place in McLean, it's near Giant across from McLean Pizza. Not as fancy as Pasa but good food.

Posted by: Rod ()
Date: January 01, 2008 06:12PM

Interesting reading. I spent a lot of years in McLean (class of 67 or almost) If your not a company man from the right company I think a lot of dissatisfaction is true in general of serious maybe dull people coming to N. Virginia with advanced degrees and a lot of ambition seeking jobs for which they are willing to sacrifice everything. They never achieve for the most part the kind of community we see or remember elsewhere. But it dosen't have to remani that way, reach out join things, join meet up.com-Rod

Posted by: zack ()
Date: January 07, 2008 07:32PM

if you don't like the food at silver diner you're eating the wrong stuff
and corkies has gotten a lot better since it changed management again recently

;
Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: March 27, 2008 01:55PM

;

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2010 01:12PM by inkahootz.

Re: Escapee
Posted by: McleanResident ()
Date: April 16, 2008 11:31PM

Dude.. what are you talking about? If you moved out of the area when you were 14, you didn't spend much time at Mclean High School. Its hard to respect your comments when at least 3/4 of your high school experience was at a different school. I'm not sure when you actually went to school in the Mclean area (where did you go before High school and when?) but I know the feeder schools have many programs for people of different skill levels.

and... where did you live. Most of the people in the "Mclean High School" area come from a section of Mclean populated by Government workers, 3rd or 4th generation Mclean families (i.e. not from money) and government contractors. Not people who I would call "rich". In the years you must be describing, The Mclean high school area had a few wealthy areas but most of the "Mclean rich" resided on the other side of "123" and went to a different high school.

Re: Escapee
Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: April 17, 2008 11:55PM

True. Back in the day Mclean was not so nice and shit. It was all 1960 era housing and the downtown Mclean was a dump. Mid nineties is when they started pimping Mclean out. Now it's all Mcmansions and chi chi like shit!!! Back in the day 123 def. was the dividing line.

McleanResident Wrote:
> Dude.. what are you talking about? If you moved
> out of the area when you were 14, you didn't spend
> much time at Mclean High School. Its hard to
> respect your comments when at least 3/4 of your
> high school experience was at a different school.
> I'm not sure when you actually went to school in
> the Mclean area (where did you go before High
> school and when?) but I know the feeder schools
> have many programs for people of different skill
> levels.
>
> and... where did you live. Most of the people in
> the "Mclean High School" area come from a section
> of Mclean populated by Government workers, 3rd or
> 4th generation Mclean families (i.e. not from
> money) and government contractors. Not people who
> I would call "rich". In the years you must be
> describing, The Mclean high school area had a few
> wealthy areas but most of the "Mclean rich"
> resided on the other side of "123" and went to a
> different high school.

re:
Posted by: gf ()
Date: April 18, 2008 03:33PM

o yea you are so right... even though people in mclean and great falls have a lot of money and have some of the best jobs involved with some of the most advanced technologies and we live next to dc, we know absolutely nothing about the internet... wow thank you for clearing that up dipshit.... god you are clearly so intelligent

Posted by: BMPoster ()
Date: August 05, 2014 12:44PM

I lived in McLean for a few years a while back. Then moved out west for more rural scenery. Safe place to raise kids. Convenient to downtown. No complaints.

Posted by: dungeon smash ()
Date: April 26, 2016 02:06PM

i've lived in mclean all my life, i was born here (well, not literally here, but at arlington hospital). it has its ups and downs. compared to other places i've visited, i consider mclean sort of a sleepy backwater (except for the area right around Tysons). there are definitely some rich assholes, but i'd say for the most part people are pretty polite and well-intentioned.
what some of the other posters were saying about the rampant drug use and alcoholism, especially amongst younger people, is unfortunately definitely true. i saw that side of life from the inside as a young man. i think depression is a major fact of life here. i know almost nobody who isn't taking anti-depressants, and i know quite a few people who have died or had their lives ruined by drug abuse. i nearly killed myself with an overdose of pills. i don't know what it is about suburbs like this that seems to inculcate such severe dissatisfaction with life, but it's a serious epidemic. it must have something to do with the disconnect from real life. i think a lot of people here work themselves half to death trying to afford nice things, and they end up miserable.
the individual complaining about the schools also has it right. i went to Langley and their much-vaunted reputation was a crock of shit. i really don't feel like I learned very much in high school, it was just a race for grades, status and approval from the stentorian and callous faculty. maybe this is true of all high schools, but i felt like langley really made an effort to push conformity and lack of critical thinking. combined with the aforementioned drug and alcohol abuse, it made for a pretty miserable experience. i was very happy to fly under the radar and do all my real learning in my free time.

for me, the nicest thing about McLean is the beautiful woodland areas. there are many nice parks nearby and truly gorgeous hikes, along with a balmy climate and easy access to the potomac. unfortunately, i've had to watch as the woodlands i used to romp around in as a child have been gradually torn up to make room for more mcmansions for DC commuters. i have to say, the community has gone badly downhill in the past 20 years or so. an influx of nouveau riche-types and arrogant DC yuppies has changed the character of our town. there used to be a friendly, neighborly vibe to mclean, but now you're far more likely to run into bustling busy-bodies with no appreciation for their surroundings. it's sad to see.
personally, i wouldn't want to live here forever. it's becoming over-developed, and i think before long it will probably look pretty similar to arlington or alexandria. it's unfortunate, because there used to be a nice town here.

Posted by: OctHalloween ()
Date: April 29, 2016 11:18PM

Jealous?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.