HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
McLean :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What's up with the lady hanging out in McLean Post Office every night
Posted by: DG4 ()
Date: January 13, 2018 12:10AM

I've been to the McLean Post Office on Elm many times pretty late at night to mail packages, etc. I always see the same small elderly lady hanging out in there. She's usually standing at the counter leafing through store catalogs. Anybody know who she is or why she is there almost every night? I don't think she is homeless. She is very tidy and clean looking. I've been there as late at midnight and she's standing in there. I've said hi to her several times in the past and haven't had the courage to ask her why she's always there. Anyone else know who i'm talking about? Next time your at the McDonald's in McLean for a late night snack, drive past the post office and see if you can see her.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's up with the lady hanging out in McLean Post Office every night
Posted by: XNVDM ()
Date: March 07, 2018 02:29PM

She is in the library all day.

Posted by: She's Known ()
Date: January 18, 2019 01:37AM

Quite a few local people know of her. She doesn't cause any problems so I think they leave her alone. She apparently stores some of her belongings at the community center or park where the disc golf course is.

Posted by: Woah ()
Date: September 12, 2020 12:32PM

DG4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been to the McLean Post Office on Elm many
> times pretty late at night to mail packages, etc.
> I always see the same small elderly lady hanging
> out in there. She's usually standing at the
> counter leafing through store catalogs. Anybody
> know who she is or why she is there almost every
> night? I don't think she is homeless. She is
> very tidy and clean looking. I've been there as
> late at midnight and she's standing in there.
> I've said hi to her several times in the past and
> haven't had the courage to ask her why she's
> always there. Anyone else know who i'm talking
> about? Next time your at the McDonald's in McLean
> for a late night snack, drive past the post office
> and see if you can see her.

As of 2014 there have been multiple sightings of her around the Mclean shopping area by myself and family members. Yes, she spent most of her nights (most of the sightings) at the Elm st. P.O but could also be seen Giant, Mclean Bible Church and the road to the Post Office. Whether or not the business was aware of her presence is unknown. Always with a smile on her face, recently she was seen in Tysons Corner Mall during COVID-19 2020 lockdown. She didn't appear as well put together as before, her coat dingy and face caked with baby powder. At this time, I believe she fully recognized myself as we exchanged hellos during late night mail runs. I offered her help to which she replied "I don't need that, I live in Mclean. When do you think the stores will open again? I wanted to do some shopping". Based on this interaction and years of observing her state, I am not sure is capable to continue wandering as she was a mature women 6 years ago.

The last sighting was around April 2020. I am growing more concerned as I have not seen her once since then yet have maintained my usual route/routine. And since there has been in influx in homelessness in the mclean/tysons area since COVID has devasted most of our securities.

In discussing this matter with my mechanic, who is a generational mclean native, he too has observed her in the area. I further probed him if he knew of the other homeless man now living outside the Listranis (a block from the P.O) often on a laptop with a grocery cart. He did in fact know of this man and detailed he and his brother have been homeless since the passing of their father (alcholic) who owned a home off Magarity. I have since spotted the brother sleeping at the bus stop outside Old Firehouse during the day with his bags. I am to believe they live in the Mclean or Lewinsville Park. This being said, in todays research I came across the headline "Mclean Giant Worker Threatened After Asking Man To Wear Mask" 09/04/2020

https://patch.com/virginia/mclean/mclean-giant-worker-threatened-after-asking-man-wear-mask

The article details 1.the man was not wearing a mask 2. stole something and fled 3. Thomas Devanney threatened an employee with a knife then assaulted an officer with a knife. Through reasoning and deduction, my mind made up this was one of the homeless brothers. Google skills put to the test led me to a thread of the brothers relationship with the Police Department.

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/1203770.html

I can't help but feel I'm overstepping or overthinking the situation.
Whether the lady at elm st. is in fact homeless or that "if" these are the brothers pose a threat the facts are this. Homeless and elderly are one of the most overlooked groups by society. Being a homeless woman puts you more at risk than if it was a man. During any time of day you can see a group of teens on Chain Bridge Road. There are many nights you can pass by the Lewinsville park and see those athletic fields lit up, kids playing and walking to their cars.

Mclean was once known as the richest zip code in america. Did we automatically assume that to mean it was safe too.

I would also like to add concern where there seems to be (again overthinking?) a panhandling "ring" so to speak happening on both sides of route 7/Leesburg pike towards Reston. Under the railway at the Spring Hill Metro you might be able to see around 8 or 10 individuals all along there (2 of which are women). But if you look real close into the garage, at one of the many abandoned office buildings, you might be able to see a TENT set up. A garage, mind you, right in the middle of Fire Station #29 and the Spring Hill Metro Kiss and Ride. Where I have witnessed pedestrians taking shortcuts through here. My concern for this ring is based on an incident that happened again during lockdown. While driving rt 7 right before the shopping center where Best Buy is, I saw one of the female panhandlers running from the median through traffic towards the shopping center. Running after her was one of the male panhandlers. The next time I saw her she looked tired, overheated and possibly pregnant. Another time I saw the other female now with a shaved head pushing her items up the street pass the old Container Store.

With my best intentions on shedding a light on what I have been observing during lockdown.

Posted by: UHYHN ()
Date: November 08, 2020 01:15PM

She's Known Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Quite a few local people know of her. She doesn't
> cause any problems so I think they leave her
> alone. She apparently stores some of her
> belongings at the community center or park where
> the disc golf course is.

She's really intelligent, just wacky. Don't be skeerd to chat with her.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.