HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
McLean :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Do you think McLean is Southern?
Posted by: RG3eezus ()
Date: September 27, 2013 06:53PM

Hopefully my perspective can make up a few people's minds.

I am Jewish. I was born in D.C. and raised in McLean.

I consider McLean, NOVA, and (to a lesser extent) D.C. and Maryland the south. I'm a southerner, but nobody is more happy to be surrounded by cultural diversity than me.

Anyway, although I consider NOVA southern there's debate among my family over whether NOVA is Southern or not.

My mom is from Long Island NY and does not consider NOVA southern. She works in Montgomery County MD for the Jewish Federation of Greater Washington. I think this opinion is a bi-product of the people she has surrounded herself with. In fact, I see her grimace and display discontent when she comes in contact with people with overtly southern accents, such as other parents at back to school nights or contractors ringing the doorbell asking if we need trees cut down.

My dad was born in DC, lived in New Jersey till he was 9, then moved back to Alexandria, off Ft. Hunt Rd. He says that NOVA was the south when he grew up in the 60's and 70's, but isn't anymore, because "it just doesn't feel southern." He said his mother and grandmother (who were from Kentucky) called DC "a sleepy southern town." He works in Prince William County and says that people from south of there do not consider themselves Northern Virginians. (In contrast, I've met young people from Stafford and Spotsylavnia who consider themselves from Northern VA). He is a very liberal guy and can't stand "Jesus freaks." In my opinion, when he says the area "doesn't feel southern," he means he isn't getting beaten over the head with bible verses like when he was younger.

My sister says NOVA is southern. She says this, because she sees a huge cultural divide between her Jewish friends from Virginia and those from Maryland. She says Maryland is definitely not southern, and that her friends from Montgomery County think she has accent (which she and I do not). While I would contend that the DC suburbs of Maryland feel much more northern, this does not account for rural portions of that state.

My sister and I use "you guys" and "y'all" interchangeably. My mom says "you guys." My dad says "you guys," "you all," and "you folks," but never "y'all."

In conclusion, every part of Virginia is the south, even if a lot of people don't echo that sentiment. In the mixing bowl that is NOVA, it's easy to overlook the slave cemetery in the undeveloped lot down the road. But, I don't. To me, it just goes to show that whether the area is occupied primarily by Native Americans, black slaves, or a mixture immigrants from northern states and Asian nations, bad things happened here, which cannot be denied.

Just accept it, NOVA is and will always be the South even though others are kind to people much different than them.

P.S.: Although I'm from McLean, I grew up in a two story-house, mowed the lawn, and always considered myself more middle than upper class. Privileged? Yes. Spoiled? Nah. Can't say the same for everyone in my town. I've also spent significant time in Louisiana, which is a much different kind of southern.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you think McLean is Southern?
Posted by: Nova63 ()
Date: February 21, 2014 09:32PM

There is nothing southern at all about he NOVA area. Especially the parts of McLean, Great Falls, ext. It's all just white people without accents that try to force themselves to use the word "y'all". But my dad grew up in south-west Virginia and I can tell you, if you ever went there you'd consider the northern part of the state to be the most liberal place on planet Earth!

Also, in every VA election, you can see the NOVA area is literally the only area in the whole state that votes blue and basically we're the only reason why VA is considered purple/swing because without us the state would be deep, deep red.

Posted by: AndyThompson1776 ()
Date: February 25, 2014 10:12PM

The area felt southern 50 years ago. Not anymore.

Posted by: Chester_Brook ()
Date: July 14, 2014 11:19AM

Yes. Technically, McLean is south of the Mason Dixon line, making it southern. It is also adjacent to Vienna and was just as resistant to the northern invaders during the civil war. Finally, it was mostly settled by catholics in the 60's who built St. John's School & church to attract those fleeing the chocolate district, and those wanting to avoid the jewish Bethesda/Montgomery County area. The balance remains the same today. Jews in MD, Catholics in McLean.

But back to the original question. We're southern. We kept the black communities contained/segregated in the small area around Chesterbrook, and white folk dominated the public and private schools. Only now do we see some diversity in McLean. But the oldest residents are white southerners. I know, I was born and raised in Franklin Park. The only blacks at McLean High were those bussed in for the vocational programs that taught blacks to be janitors. It is what it was.

Posted by: McLeanTownie4Evs ()
Date: September 18, 2014 03:12AM

HA no. There are some lingering "Mclean Rednecks" who are a dying breed. They never upgrade their homes and paid for it decades ago. They say WaRshington and Winda (window) and they can be found at McDonalds at 7am getting their grub on.

It's full of unattractive political people. I'm happy to see a younger crowd moving in more around the Metro areas.

Posted by: NIGGER DAWNQUAVIUS ()
Date: January 11, 2016 02:31AM

All of NoVa is a multicultural shithole that Jews ruined years ago. It will continue to get more violent and more retarded until it is either nuked into the anals of history or self-destructs into a race/civil war scenario. Keep pretending it's all good though - it will make the end that much sweeter.

Posted by: Aloha Snackbar Homie ()
Date: January 11, 2016 02:34AM

You and your Jewish family should take a one way flight to Tel Aviv to get stabbed by a bunch of Mohammadeas. Fuck you kikes and your phony holocaust. It's too bad a real one doesn't happen. Maybe if you import another million "refugees" then this party can get started.

Posted by: countrymac ()
Date: August 01, 2016 05:02PM

Of course it's southern. But this area needs to be saved, there's too much "diversity." More diversity = more garbage

Posted by: Fredericksburgline ()
Date: August 21, 2017 07:56PM

40 years ago, possibly, but not today. Honestly, you don't really get any Southern feeling in NOVA until you get towards Stafford County. Fredericksburg is sort of the new Mason Dixon line.

Posted by: Thingsdochange ()
Date: August 21, 2017 07:58PM

Nova63 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is nothing southern at all about he NOVA
> area. Especially the parts of McLean, Great Falls,
> ext. It's all just white people without accents
> that try to force themselves to use the word
> "y'all". But my dad grew up in south-west Virginia
> and I can tell you, if you ever went there you'd
> consider the northern part of the state to be the
> most liberal place on planet Earth!
>
> Also, in every VA election, you can see the NOVA
> area is literally the only area in the whole state
> that votes blue and basically we're the only
> reason why VA is considered purple/swing because
> without us the state would be deep, deep red.

Charlottesville is not NOVA but its blue now. Liberal doesn't automatically equate un-Southern. Atlanta is extremely liberal. Its still considered Southern. But I do agree with most of what you say... Growing up in NOVA back in the 1980s, however, it really was conservative. It was deep Republican country back then. I remember it well.

Posted by: Richard Wahl ()
Date: November 07, 2017 11:20PM

Personally, I can disagree with you. When I grew up there, it was indeed, 'Southern'! It has been in the intervening years since I left, that McLean found itself a 'diverse' area. Yes, it was mostly White people, with only that Virginia accent. There were very few foreigners then, not like today. It wasn't as 'diverse' and to be quite honest, a much better place to live. I said y'all, because it's the way I grew up there, I also said 'Yes Sir', Yes Ma'am, No Sir and No ma'am. It was the way we were taught. I make absolutely NO apology for that. Northern Virginia then, was still 'Southern', it was just the way it was. We didn't 'force' ourselves to say....y'all, it came naturally to us, it's the way we spoke. But my oh my, how things have changed. Now?, it is LIBERAL, with a Capital L, and I'm really glad I don't live there anymore. Yes, I miss those old days, when things were much different, less stressful, less violence, and people even spoke to each other. It (McLean), was much smaller then, a lot fewer people to clog things up. It was pretty much rural too, and that in itself, was a whole lot cooler. The South?.....West Virginia??, No, it's quite apparent that you didn't grow up in Virginia, but then, we all have our faults. I live on the West coast now, and wouldn't trade Virginia for what I've got these days. I always liked West Virginia, but to me, it certainly wasn't Virginia. So, to me, McLean sure did steep itself in the Southern traditions! You Sir, need a huge history lesson!

Posted by: Fat yenta ()
Date: November 02, 2020 04:21PM

Not for Jews. Period. All nasty southern shickshas. There is one decent deli in the state and it’s a drive. Fuck this shit. Glad I moved.

Posted by: Yes southern shithole ()
Date: August 17, 2022 04:29AM

Yes it’s southern. They hate blacks and Jews (see above). If you are not white, catholic, married, upper middle class, those fuckers will come for you.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.