HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Reston :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Res-TOWN: Your Thoughts
Posted by: trap star ()
Date: August 13, 2007 04:00AM

Just curious about the whole "lets make Reston a town" thing because I saw people outside the HW safeway today passing out petitions. Of course they only presented one side of the issue. Having a town would mean asshole cops out to squeeze money from you (think: Herndon P.D.), a mayor, and you paying extra for services such as trash and snow removal.

if you're thinking of signing, make sure you read about

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Res-TOWN: Your Thoughts
Posted by: Joshua ()
Date: August 26, 2007 09:39PM

I'm not sure how much I want Reston to become a town. I think the people who want to make it a town just want to make sure no more development occurs. Besides I feel the county is doing a great job with Reston. Sure they're some things I wish they'd change but I doubt a council and mayor would change those - except for eliminating Reston Association.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: September 07, 2007 04:43PM

what the hell is it now?

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: September 10, 2007 11:15AM

Reston is a planned community, run/managed by the Reston Association.

http://www.reston.org/

Basically a HOA for an entire area, vice a single neighborhood.

Posted by: Rod ()
Date: December 13, 2007 09:17AM

Reston is governed by the Reston Association and the Reston Community Center. The Reston Association and the Reston Community Center is virtually governed by the ABC or Aliance for better Community of which every member or every member except one is a member. There are one can only guess about 300 members in the ABC. The average home in Reston pays in separately from the RA in fifth district taxes from $300-$800 to the Community Center which this Fall got only a few hundred people voting in thier governing board election. There are about 65,000 people living in Reston many of whom can vote but few choose to vote. More will vote if it is a municipal election? Will a municipal election be more participatory, have more safeguards? You have to decide if that's what you want. Some have already decided for you.

3,300 signers of the ResTOWN petition are I think a significant number of Reston Citizens. More certainly then any RCC board election candidate gets and I think more then most RA election canidates get. The petition is to allow the voters of Reston to be allowed to be able to vote on whether or not they want Reston to become a town. Lately it seems the anti town forces are attacking the very idea that Reston Citizen Association be allowed to gather signitures for the petition. Two years ago the RCA won citizens of the years award. This year they are being treated as naughty by the enemies of Reston citizens right to have the right to have a say in thier community.

Generally it is not allowed for citizens to participate in anything in Reston. There is no room in the inn except to pay taxes and dues for it.-Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2007 03:10PM by Rod.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.