HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Reston :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Veterinary Office
Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: September 06, 2009 12:43AM

Alright, so here's the deal. I have been using the same Veterinary Clinic since as far back as I cam remember. It is called the "Herndon Animal Medical Center", and the head Veterinarian is Dr. Barry. She's extremely professional, competent, and just downright good with animals and their owners.

Anyways, she has been through different sets of Co-Doctors, and as the years have gone by, they have changed from time to time. Now however, there is an extremely incompetent and fresh out-of-College Veterinarian whom happens to be the Junior Doc, and I am wondering if anyone else has experience with her? Her name is Dr. Amanda Higdon.

So as my experience with her goes, one of my new animals, a kitten, went in to have a basic check-up about a month ago. This check-up simply involved looking her over, listening to her heart and lungs with a stethoscope, etc. The new Vet. then tells my family member that she "Can't deal with the kitten", and she wants to "Sedate her under general anesthesia in order to listen to her heart". My family member said something to her on the ground of such a proposal being absolutely ludicrous, and the Vet. stayed quiet. So we took the kitten back home without a full check-up.

Then, fast forward to only a few days ago, and we take the kitten in to have her nails trimmed, and to be given a basic check-up again, as well as have blood drawn. They take the kitten back, to only re-appear five minutes later telling us that "The Dr. cannot do it". So we leave, YET again, with none of the planned and necessary procedures having taken place. They did not charge us for the visit fortunately.

Now, another family member talked to one of the techs today while we had another dog in for their annual check-up, and they described our frustration with the new Vet., and said that we would like to schedule the kitten with Dr. Barry instead. Unfortunately, they want to keep the kitten as "Dr. Higdon's Patient", and they expressed confidence in the new Vet. Obviously I beg to differ, and I am left to wonder why such an incompetent excuse for a Veterinary Doctor happens to have a Degree, an alleged "Vast Education", and a brand new job, yet they can't even handle a baby animal! I have done more than her in terms of working with animals, and I am obviously better at it than her, and yet I am supposed to somehow feel comfortable allowing her to drug up my animals in order to simply listen to their hearts, let alone perform an operation on them?

On a curious side note, twice since this new Vet. took up residence at the clinic, I have overheard customers/patients complaining to the Techs that they would rather see Dr. Barry. The office has "coincidentally" just procured new equipment as well, and I am left to wonder if this has anything to do with the new Doc. It is quite ridiculous however that I might have to now take one of my pets to another Clinic, while the other three stay at this one under the care of the good Vet.

I would like to know if anyone else has any recent experience with this specific situation, and/or a similar one? Also, what other Good Veterinary Clinics would you recommend in the area? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Veterinary Office
Posted by: Les ()
Date: September 08, 2009 09:21AM

Take him/her to the Clocktower Animal Hospital on Centreville Rd & Sunrise Valley Dr. It's behind the clocktower with the billiards and the Petco. They seem to have more facilities than the other vets.

Posted by: Eran ()
Date: September 14, 2009 02:49AM

I have had many great experiences with both Drs. Boone, a father and a son who work at Dominion Animal Hospital in Herndon. They are both very good, but the father is a bit more interested in being friendly with each of his "patients".I have been taking my two dogs there since they were puppies and have never had any problems. As far as this other vet goes, I would raise a big fuss. The competent vet that this new vet is working with should probably know that she is losing business for the clinic. I wouldn't stand for an unqualified person being allowed to treat my pets or for a receptionist telling me that that is the only way my animal will be seen. Raise a stink!

Posted by: martinjackson ()
Date: April 12, 2013 01:47PM

I just had a similar experienc with same Vet -- I refuse to have her treat my animal anymore.
I really like the other Vets in the practice and mainly the owner of the practice, Dr. Gutowski. I trust Dr. Gutowski.

However, Dr. Higdon, wouldn't treat our animal and I ended up treating her myself.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has had problems with this Vet. She seems like a nice person, and I'm perplexed that the center would let her continue on.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.