HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Reston :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
SLHS School Threat
Posted by: concerenedparent ()
Date: November 21, 2014 11:00AM

Any information on this email?

Dear Seahawk Parents and Guardians,

A threat directed at South Lakes High School was discovered on social media yesterday. Fairfax County Police were notified and determined the threat was not credible but, as a precaution, the FCPS Office of Safety and Security and Fairfax County Police have provided additional assistance for the school.
This, of course, raises the issue of the appropriate use of social media and how the irresponsible use of these tools can waste resources and cause unnecessary concern and anxiety. We hope this information will put to rest any rumors that continue to persist regarding this incident. The anonymity provided by certain applications only complicates our efforts to provide a safe and non-threatening learning environment. We will continue to have discussions with students about appropriate uses of technology and supervise technology usage in school. However, we need your assistance as much of this activity takes place outside the school day when students are not under our supervision.
The safety of our students and staff remains our highest priority. The adults responsible for keeping students safe can do their jobs more effectively, if students are willing to report problems or suspicious behavior and I encourage you to engage your children in discussions about maintaining a safe school environment. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the school office.

Kim Retzer
Principal

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SLHS School Threat
Date: November 22, 2014 10:46AM

I heard someone saw a threat on Tumblr and/or Twitter Thursday. Threat was supposedly by someone who was upset about one of the fistfights Thursday. Threat implied or said that a gun might be brought to school Friday. So the school got the regular police involved (not just the officer already assigned to the school). Don't know much more.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2014 10:47AM by longtime NoVA res.

Posted by: slhsparent ()
Date: November 23, 2014 08:12AM

Whats going on over there??. Is seems much worse then a couple years ago. My kid comes homes every day with storys. Maybe they need more staff but it seems out of control. I heard from a teacher that the admin is overwhelm end and they get very little support enforcing any type of rules. Maybe it is a result of getting so crowded. I have no idea. It appears from the outside that they need stronger leadership. I have told my kid to keep his head down and do not videotape anything or post

Posted by: WorriedParent ()
Date: November 23, 2014 01:27PM

I am worried about the security/leadership as well. My kids are afraid to walk the halls there.

Posted by: worriedparentaswell ()
Date: November 23, 2014 03:08PM

WorriedParent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am worried about the security/leadership as
> well. My kids are afraid to walk the halls there.

I know I am not sure what to do. If I had the money I would move him . Last year I tried to talk to admin and the counselor abut an issue my son was having with another student. It took 3 days to get an email response and I was afraid the situation would escalate into a physicl fight . I wanted an adult to sit down with the boys or have them in seperate class for this coming year (which they agreed to but did not honor ) I made a point in all my emails to say that I am sure both boys had their own version and they needed an adult intervention .The Admin was defensive, accusatory and condescending . Every interaction appeared to be an effort to cover their own rear ends. It did not end well. my son will never trust hs counselor or class administrator again. He dislikes both of them which is sad. I got no reply from the principal and I will not approach admin or my sons counselor again for any issue .

parent

Posted by: concerned resident ()
Date: November 23, 2014 04:58PM

This is the video that making the rounds at SL. Apparently this is what preceeded the gun threat.Unbelievable.

https://vine.co/v/OJ6DMpgzzbH

Posted by: parent4555 ()
Date: November 24, 2014 06:47AM

concerned resident Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is the video that making the rounds at SL.
> Apparently this is what preceeded the gun
> threat.Unbelievable.
>
> https://vine.co/v/OJ6DMpgzzbH

Disgusting ...

Posted by: twistGmoney ()
Date: November 26, 2014 11:28PM

Disgusting, same shit that went on when I was there. It was a thug breeding ground. The school covered up so many fights. You will NEVER see admins in the locker area during the bell between classes. There was never supervision, looks like there still isn't.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.