HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Reston :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
A Start, A Goat for Reston
Posted by: Rod Koozmin ()
Date: May 28, 2006 10:52PM

I like an increasing number of citizens are increasingly disturbed about the collapse of the environment of the earth. Could it be helped by getting a single goat for Reston? Maybe so.

The problem of the collapse of the earth's environment is the green house gasses caused in North America in part by everyone just jumping in there cars to solve a problem. Green house gasses especially CO2 have risen about a hundred points in the last hundred and fifty years and are accelerating. The problem is expected to get increasingly worse as the resultant warming causes the permafrost to melt releasing massive amounts of greenhouse gasses.

Clearly this deserves the fullest attention of every citizen on the planet yet it seems little or nothing is being done. Little seems to being done here in Reston to remedy this situation. If not here where we must ask?

One of Bob Simons ideas regarding living and working may be useful in approaching a solution to this acute problem. We can't in short just keep getting in the car and driving somewhere as a solution to our problems.

A lot of people just get bored and want to take the kids somewhere. If we had our own goat that people could visit it might be at least a drop in the bucket toward reducing green house gasses. Some people will certainly visit it and I think a lot of people will as opposed to jumping in the car and visiting some other sort of attraction.

Besides the essentially environmentally friendliness of goats and affordability of this project there is another area where a goat could help.

People seem to have an inner need to tend and care for animals. Thus far people have concentrated on dogs and cats. The problem is that our creeks and streams are full to dangerous levels of dog feces which is in itself a danger environmentally. Could having a goat serve as a way for people to have even partially this animal care need and relieve to some extent the need to have dogs and the resultant problems?

Again it's a drop in the bucket but at least it's a step in the direction we want to go in fact must go to solve this environmental catastrophe that is awaiting mankind.

I know there are some problems in this new idea. One is the illegality of goats even one. I am confident that our Reston Association board once it sees the popularity and merit of this idea will find some means to address them having proved itself capable to address change and legal problems successfully in the past.

In the meantime I'm going to fabricate a goat out of cardboard. Now I fully realize that a cardboard goat has none of the charm, none of the interest of a real goat and in no way do I want to imply that a cardboard goat can ever take the place of a real actual goat in apeal. But it'll have to do till a real one can be obtained.

A goat will help with the actual mowing in an environmentally friendly way. It will most importantly provide a symbol of our intentions and efforts to do something however minor to help in the effort to save the earth. It will provide something tangible which the community can rally around giving it hope in doing something about the problem.-Rod

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A Start, A Goat for Reston
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: May 29, 2006 01:42AM

Rod, I swear I am the only person that reads your idiotic rants and I can assure you I only get to the second paragraph before the incoherence and grammatical disarray forces me to move on.

Good luck in your apparently never-ending quest to form a complete thought that is not only able to be read and understood, but is also on a topic that is of interest to actual people.

Posted by: RbF_dark420 ()
Date: May 30, 2006 04:59AM

haha i did the same thing. hit the 2nd paragraph and then scrolled down. you lost me at C02 and something about a goat.

Only the paraniod will Survive...

Posted by: Joe H ()
Date: July 25, 2007 03:20PM

I think it's hilarious, but maybe thats because im otherwise staring at spreadsheets...

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: August 09, 2007 01:56PM

Maybe if its a flock of Fainting Goats like on Dirty Jobs. They just stiffen and fall over.

Posted by: Enigma ()
Date: August 03, 2008 11:13PM

Well you know what they say, "...yeah, a good goat'll do that."

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.