HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax Corner Ciname De Lux - who picks the movies?
Posted by: Staank ()
Date: December 14, 2005 08:56AM

The theatre is the best place to watch a movie in Fairfax - best seats, best angle, best screens. But.. their movie selection sucks balls. Seriosly, who picks the crap they play there? Im pissed they dont have King Kong playing this weekend. I cant count how many times Ive gone to that other crappy theatre up the street near the Tower, just to get a better selection of movies.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax Corner Ciname De Lux - who picks the movies?
Posted by: ben ()
Date: December 14, 2005 10:22AM

Staank Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The theatre is the best place to watch a movie in
> Fairfax - best seats, best angle, best screens.
> But.. their movie selection sucks balls.
> Seriosly, who picks the crap they play there? Im
> pissed they dont have King Kong playing this
> weekend. I cant count how many times Ive gone to
> that other crappy theatre up the street near the
> Tower, just to get a better selection of movies.

Uh, maybe because they have an agreement not to carry the same movies.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: December 14, 2005 11:27AM

that's a pretty stupid agreement if it's true

It's kinda like the Uptown in DC, they always show complete crap I'd never watch so I have never had the pleasure of viewing their massive screen and segregation-era balcony seating.

Date: December 14, 2005 11:29AM

HEY speak of the devil, the uptown is playing "king kong", which I am not totally sure I care about

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: December 14, 2005 03:38PM

that place is for elitists. fuck them. they charge too much anyway.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: tina ()
Date: December 14, 2005 06:32PM

OMG

I USED TO WORK THERE

Date: December 14, 2005 09:17PM

You mean you used to work BEHIND there

Posted by: from the 757 ()
Date: December 14, 2005 09:31PM

I seem to remember a big thing a few years back where Regal and AMC (the big theatre companies where I'm from, I guess they're probably national?) had rights to different movies so there wasn't any real competition, but then they disallowed that and made all theatres able to carry all movies. Anybody remember something like that?

Posted by: stan ()
Date: December 15, 2005 03:12PM

fairfax corner and fairfax towne center have an agreement to split what movies are shown. because of their close proximity to each other neither theater will show the same movie as the other.

apparently the owners of fairfax towne center were scared that the new (read: better) theater would steal all their business away, which they would have if they didn't agree to this deal.

who still goes to fairfax towne center anyway? that place is a dump. and it's constantly crowded by annoying teenyboppers.

Posted by: § ()
Date: December 15, 2005 05:51PM

Stan's correct - nothing like a little non-compete and antitrust issues to screw up everyone's Friday and Saturday nights.

It's funny - I used to think the same thing about the FFX Towne Center theatre being a dump, but went there to see that "Walk the Line" movie (which IMO was ok - not great - btw) and what do ya know??? They replaced all the seating and carpeting and it looks like the new theatre down the street. I mean this place has more leg room than first class on Delta.

Still a mid-rent shopping center though.

Posted by: Staank ()
Date: December 16, 2005 08:52AM

the big difference between the theatres is that Cinema De-Sux has the stadium-style seating. if they arent going to show movies like Kong, then whats the point?

I watched Narnia behind a guy with a huge head the other day at Town Center. Another movie I wished was playing at Ciname De-Sux.

Also, the restaurants at Town Center are cheap-o ethnic foods - choice between falafels or shimp fied wice..

Posted by: stinkypoon ()
Date: December 17, 2005 09:55PM

De Lux is simply better. It's nice to go to one of the nice restaraunts at Fairfax Corner, go see a movie in a quality theater, an not have to speed-walk back to your car. The deal between the theater pisses me off, and undermines the "competition ensures quality for the dollar" benefit of capitalism.

Date: December 18, 2005 07:19AM

stupidspoon ,
  "De Lux is simply better." if they are sooooooo much better, then explain why they dont cary all the movies? that's right, fuck them both, ill drive a ways if it gets me a better theater. fuck them, fuck them up their stupid asses.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: December 18, 2005 08:11AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2005 09:25PM by RESton Peace.

Posted by: stinypoon ()
Date: December 19, 2005 01:30PM

Gravis Wrote:
> stupidspoon ,
>   "De Lux is simply better." if they
> are sooooooo much better, then explain why they
> dont cary all the movies? that's right, fuck them
> both, ill drive a ways if it gets me a better
> theater. fuck them, fuck them up their stupid
> asses.
>
> unfairfax adaptivetime com
>
> As of 11/15/05 13:44
> My Linux uptime: 65 days, 14 hours, 42 minutes
> Your Windows uptime: pushing two hours

because they are assholes and made a deal with the town center theater. mentioned in second post. scroll up, keep scrolling, there ya go.

Date: December 19, 2005 02:47PM

stinypoon Wrote:
> because they are assholes and made a deal with the
> town center theater.

im aware as to why they dont carry the movies, it's called sarcasm. mypoint was that i dont see how they can be better if they dont have what i go there for.

Posted by: trollerz ()
Date: July 26, 2010 12:40AM

Sorry to dig up an old thread but thought it would be better than starting a new one. I was just curious do they still have a non-compete agreement? I wanted to go see inception today but it was only playing at tysons and it was sold out and it was bananas in there. I really hate tysons the parking sucks the people suck and the people standing at the ticket kiosks that cant figure out how they work should stick to the box office windows. They just stand there looking at the movies and going back and forth on what they want to see then cant figure out how to swipe their card to pay for it. ARGHHH I hate it.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.