HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Cost to replace Patio Door
Posted by: HomeownerDude ()
Date: August 22, 2012 08:27AM

So my patio door of 20+ years needs a replacement.
Standard, sliding type.

One quote I got so far was $1800.

Is that what I should expect to pay in this area?

I am looking at Home Depot and they got doors starting at about $300....

what should labor cost?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cost to replace Patio Door
Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: August 22, 2012 08:37AM

If you have a typical house I don't think that $1800 is too far off, but I would still be prepared to spend at least $1200. You are probably going to hate a $300 door and something with reasonable quality and nice design should be in the $800-1200 range. However, if you are just looking for a standard 6' door with a white vinyl frame and good glass there should be options for around half that cost. I would figure another $300-400 for installation, but check out Angie's List since there may be contractors who will offer a package deal.

Posted by: Home dumpo sux ()
Date: August 22, 2012 10:25AM

If you don't mind a POS door from Home Depot, go for it. They will install for you too! But watch out, they will sub the job out to some Latino contractor, who will tell you that you need an additional $1000 to make the door fit properly. The installation doesn't include the interior or exterior trim around the door and they will just rip it off your wall. The Latinos performing the work won't speak English, but they will check out your house and come back and rob it clean a few weeks later!

It happened to me.

Good luck.

Posted by: Pissed off ()
Date: August 22, 2012 11:32AM

You can either be pissed off once for paying $1,800 for a good quality door and installation, or you can be pissed off everytime you use your low quality $300 door. Your choice.

Posted by: jameswilson ()
Date: August 31, 2012 05:32AM

Get a few quotes from local contractors. Most of them will give you a free in-house consultation. I got mine done recently from Champion Windows and was really happy with their work. Lifetime warranty on the materials and installation, too. It’s better to pay for a job you know will be done well than to pay for a cheap job that needs to be fixed every now and then. Get Details Here: http://www.championwindow.com/washingtondc

edit by Cary: Edited link to make it less spammy by request.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 12:11PM by Cary.

Posted by: timmy55 ()
Date: July 30, 2018 08:45PM

This seems like a bit high for the intallation of one door, but labor does tend to be a lot. I got a quote from conservation construction and they were pretty good about keeping those kinds of costs down, but in my opinion you should do the labor yourself if you can figure out how to install the door. In the end it will save you a lot of money.

Posted by: OldMan ()
Date: July 30, 2018 10:28PM

Lost of good advice above. I would however not use Angie's List.

I used Angie's List to find a concrete contractor and chose the BEST RATED for estimates. I gave one of the two a 3K deposit to reserve the date. After writing the check conducted some research on the contractor and learned he had a BBB grade of F, I contacted FX County and learned there were judgments and active lawsuits against this Angie's List Outstanding local contractor. BE CAREFUL

Try to use someone that is recommended by friends and family for your door. In this area 1800.00 is reasonable. I agree with the folks above that you do not want to buy a cheap door if you want it to last.

Posted by: Slow Moes ()
Date: July 30, 2018 10:34PM

6 fucking years ago retards.

Posted by: johnsond ()
Date: July 31, 2018 11:12AM

Check out the doors online. You obviously have a computer and just google it. Wood Framed doors will look nice twenty years from now if maintained.

^^^Hey Slow Moe Response. What is your point?

Posted by: harveyw ()
Date: August 08, 2018 10:48PM

op please report back with your decision.

Posted by: depends on the size ()
Date: August 08, 2018 10:52PM

If it's a standard size like one in a TH or condo, then yes that is really high. I got a provia installed for $1,100

Posted by: njh4w ()
Date: August 09, 2018 11:43PM

the Home Depot and Lowes sliding doors are made in China.

Their reviews all say they are hard to slide (they were tricked in store), and the door began having promlems within 1-3 years.

you might as well make one. those fucking doors are fake shit

the real ones are still made and sold in usa and 1980's quality: and they are expensive

Posted by: pcxvn ()
Date: August 09, 2018 11:49PM

french doors are allot cheaper. you can get one made to last for a reasonable price.

chinese sliding doors: fucking ripoff

Posted by: lx7vv ()
Date: August 09, 2018 11:52PM

the ones made in USA also have a fatal flaw (they last 30 years easy, maybe 75 years if you care for them)

THEY HAVE GLASS THAT CANNOT BE CLEANED. THEY FILL THEM WITH ARGON*

this is insane since churches have glass like 500 years old.

the argon ionizes over the years and etches the inside of the glass. they cannot be cleaned (permanent seal)

first they get spotty and then get cloudy. only fix is to replace them. it's actually dangers to attempt to clean them.

Posted by: Morons abound ()
Date: August 11, 2018 08:29PM

lx7vv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the ones made in USA also have a fatal flaw (they
> last 30 years easy, maybe 75 years if you care for
> them)
>
> THEY HAVE GLASS THAT CANNOT BE CLEANED. THEY FILL
> THEM WITH ARGON*
>
> this is insane since churches have glass like 500
> years old.
>
> the argon ionizes over the years and etches the
> inside of the glass. they cannot be cleaned
> (permanent seal)
>
> first they get spotty and then get cloudy. only
> fix is to replace them. it's actually dangers to
> attempt to clean them.

As usual, your paranoia is exceeded only by your ignorance. Argon isn't going to magically ionize like that. What typically happens to older sealed multiply glazed doors and windows is that the seal is compromised and moisture gets in. The cloudiness is condensation.

True, they can't be easily cleaned, but that's because of how they're constructed: they aren't suppose to be opened.

As for "churches have glass like 500 years old" -- sure, and it's single-glazed.

Suggest you learn a bit before you babble.

Posted by: Question 101 ()
Date: August 11, 2018 08:47PM

Any churches that have sliding stained glass doors?

Posted by: Srsly? ()
Date: August 11, 2018 08:58PM

Question 101 Wrote:
> Any churches that have sliding stained glass
> doors?

Only in Las Vegas!

Posted by: Jenny Jenkins ()
Date: October 01, 2020 02:10PM

There is a ton of useful information in this article. I loved the witty writing style. I also found some useful information here https://conservationconstructionofdallas.com/support/. Keep up the good work and I will check back later for other articles.

Posted by: Simon55 ()
Date: November 01, 2020 05:38PM

Replacing the patio door should not be about the price, It should be about the looks I think and you can now order doors online and make them look however you want. I used this and the company that builds doors did an awesome job with my doors. There are so many options to choose from and this was the first time I found something like this. Honestly I did not have much say in how door looked like because my wife did everything. She was the reason I found this because I could not please her with other options that were available...

Posted by: Tinker ()
Date: November 06, 2020 09:29AM

Simon55 Wrote:
> Replacing the patio door should not be about the
> price, It should be about the looks I think and
> you can now order doors online and make them look
> however you want. I used this and the href="https://www.justdoorsandconservatories.co.uk
> /product/composite-doors">company that builds
> doors
did an awesome job with my doors. There
> are so many options to choose from and this was
> the first time I found something like this.
> Honestly I did not have much say in how door
> looked like because my wife did everything. She
> was the reason I found this because I could not
> please her with other options that were
> available...
That is actually not bad.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.