HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Texting While Driving is Dangerous City of Fairfax Police to Enforce Applicable Laws
Posted by: Fairfax Police ()
Date: August 19, 2012 06:42PM

The City of Fairfax Police Department is emphasizing enforcement of Virginia’s “No Texting While Driving” law. The department reminds drivers of the importance of paying attention while traveling on the roadways and of being respectful of other motorists as they travel through the City of Fairfax. Text messaging while driving is illegal and dangerous.

A section of the Virginia State Code adopted in 2009 states it is unlawful for any person to operate a moving motor vehicle while using any handheld personal communications device to manually enter multiple letters or text in the device as a means of communicating with another person, or to read any email or text message transmitted to the device or stored within it. Violation of this law is punishable by a fine. The law provides an exemption for public safety personnel while performing their duties. Drivers who are texting also may be charged under code provisions for failure to pay full time and attention or failing to maintain proper control.

Driver distractions reduce awareness of the driving environment, interfere with the driver’s decision-making process and deteriorate overall driving performance. Police encourage motorists to stay focused, to continually be aware of other drivers and pedestrians and to obey all applicable traffic laws.
To enhance the safety of all motorists and pedestrians, City of Fairfax Police officers will be aggressively conducting selective enforcement of the law banning texting while driving.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Texting While Driving is Dangerous City of Fairfax Police to Enforce Applicable Laws
Posted by: Thank god! ()
Date: August 19, 2012 06:48PM

I see so many looking down at lights and paying no attention when the light turns green. Get off your phone and stop texting. No one cares what you did last night.

I can't wait for the tickets to come flooding in.

Re: Texting While Driving is Dangerous City of Fairfax Police to Enforce Applicable Laws
Posted by: Great Post ()
Date: August 19, 2012 06:51PM

Glad to hear and see this.

Just buried one relative and just got two more out of the hospital because of this.

If you have to communicate - skip the text and call - but do it hands free or on speaker phone.

Posted by: WestSpringfieldDude ()
Date: August 19, 2012 07:07PM

Fuckin aye finally!

Now if we can just get the County cops to police themselves on the same matter. Between them IMing on their laptops with their buddies looking for fresh dunuts and the texting while driving I've witnessed them doing, I'm surprised one of them hasn't yet caused a serious accident.

Posted by: Tough One ()
Date: August 19, 2012 07:32PM

I love the city of Fairfax's mobile flashing sign that says "Texting While Driving is Dumb." Its by the Chik-Fil-A on Fairfax CIty on FFX Blvd.

Posted by: snakeinthegrass ()
Date: August 19, 2012 09:01PM

What happens when I see one of those rat bastards in their cruisers texting, talking on the phone, typing on their computer etc... all while driving?

Posted by: Enigma ()
Date: August 19, 2012 09:37PM

I'm writing this post while driving right now! Although unlike most people I can actually do it safely whil

*Connection Lost*

Posted by: Respect ()
Date: August 19, 2012 09:43PM

The Police did a fantastic job dealing with a recent fatal accident I was involved with and handled it professionally and thoroughly with absolute human dignity.

Brutal scene. Teenage daughter arrived shortly after a fatal accident and tried to get to her dead Dad, seriously injured Mom, and her sister.

One Officer took on a full adrenaline fueled physical assault from the daughter. She threw punches and verbal abuse at the Officer in a complete rage of emotion. He took it all in stride and with sincere care and emotion.

He kept that little girl from seeing the carnage, and then he held her and hugged her as reality sank in and she collapsed with her whole world in shatters in his arms. And he kept it together, with soothing words enough to unbuckle her knees.

He arranged for a separate ambulance to take her to the hospital. He carried her to the ambulance. And he did not let her see the devastation in that wreck. That alone probably saved that girl from becoming a complete mental basket case for the rest of her life.

Once that girl was off the scene - I saw that officer step out and fall apart for a few moments out of everyone's sight. I saw it. He got his shit back together in a few moments and stepped back up. But seeing that was very telling. Incredible.

I feel for those guys in blue who have to deal with this tragic stuff day in and day out. Hat's off to them!

Posted by: Enigma ()
Date: August 19, 2012 09:52PM

Respect Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Police did a fantastic job dealing with a recent fatal accident I was involved with and
> handled it professionally and thoroughly with absolute human dignity.
>
> Brutal scene. Teenage daughter arrived shortly after a fatal accident and tried to get to her
> dead Dad, seriously injured Mom, and her sister.
>
> One Officer took on a full adrenaline fueled physical assault from the daughter. She threw
> punches and verbal abuse at the Officer in a complete rage of emotion. He took it all in
> stride and with sincere care and emotion.
>
> He kept that little girl from seeing the carnage, and then he held her and hugged her as reality
> sank in and she collapsed with her whole world in shatters in his arms. And he kept it together,
> with soothing words enough to unbuckle her knees.
>
> He arranged for a separate ambulance to take her to the hospital. He carried her to the ambulance.
> And he did not let her see the devastation in that wreck. That alone probably saved that girl from
> becoming a complete mental basket case for the rest of her life.
>
> Once that girl was off the scene - I saw that officer step out and fall apart for a few moments
> out of everyone's sight. I saw it. He got his shit back together in a few moments and stepped
> back up. But seeing that was very telling. Incredible.
>
> I feel for those guys in blue who have to deal with this tragic stuff day in and day out. Hat's
> off to them!

What does this have to do with anything?!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2012 09:54PM by Enigma.

Posted by: MysteryWrap ()
Date: August 20, 2012 08:22AM

It has to do with something tragic you will experience for being such an insensitive, uncaring a-hole.

You will feel the pain, uncertainty, and complete loss of a death in your family.

A pox and a curse upon you and all that you love and hold dear.

Posted by: Bill S. ()
Date: August 20, 2012 08:40AM

Enigma (), you just bought yourself some karma... Enjoy

Posted by: Dr Bombay ()
Date: August 20, 2012 09:21AM

Respect Wrote:
> The Police did a fantastic job dealing with a
> recent fatal accident I was involved with and
> handled it professionally and thoroughly with
> absolute human dignity.
>
> Brutal scene. Teenage daughter arrived shortly
> after a fatal accident and tried to get to her
> dead Dad, seriously injured Mom, and her sister.
>
> One Officer took on a full adrenaline fueled
> physical assault from the daughter. She threw
> punches and verbal abuse at the Officer in a
> complete rage of emotion. He took it all in
> stride and with sincere care and emotion.
>
> He kept that little girl from seeing the carnage,
> and then he held her and hugged her as reality
> sank in and she collapsed with her whole world in
> shatters in his arms. And he kept it together,
> with soothing words enough to unbuckle her knees.
>
> He arranged for a separate ambulance to take her
> to the hospital. He carried her to the ambulance.
> And he did not let her see the devastation in that
> wreck. That alone probably saved that girl from
> becoming a complete mental basket case for the
> rest of her life.
>
> Once that girl was off the scene - I saw that
> officer step out and fall apart for a few moments
> out of everyone's sight. I saw it. He got his
> shit back together in a few moments and stepped
> back up. But seeing that was very telling.
> Incredible.
>
> I feel for those guys in blue who have to deal
> with this tragic stuff day in and day out. Hat's
> off to them!

This is bullshit written by the manager of Dunkin Donuts

Posted by: BioHazard ()
Date: August 20, 2012 09:55AM

Dear Dr. Bombay,

That actually is a true story - one that was posted here on this board a few weeks ago - albeit without the human details.

A cursed pox upon you and all that you love - so that you may experience the tragic loss of someone you love first hand; so you can feel and understand the true anguish of calamity.

Karma is a bitch and coming your way!

When it hits, and it will - remember that your smart ass comments brought it upon you and the one you loved.

Posted by: Dr Bombay ()
Date: August 20, 2012 09:57AM

BioHazard Wrote:
> Dear Dr. Bombay,
>
> That actually is a true story - one that was
> posted here on this board a few weeks ago - albeit
> without the human details.
>
> A cursed pox upon you and all that you love - so
> that you may experience the tragic loss of someone
> you love first hand; so you can feel and
> understand the true anguish of calamity.
>
> Karma is a bitch and coming your way!
>
> When it hits, and it will - remember that your
> smart ass comments brought it upon you and the one
> you loved.

This must be the new version of a chain letter. And a pox on you and your little dog too

Posted by: Got your Kharma right here! ()
Date: August 20, 2012 10:09AM

The Police did a fantastic job dealing with a recent fatal accident I was involved with and handled it professionally and thoroughly with absolute human dignity.

Brutal scene. Teenage daughter arrived shortly after a fatal accident and tried to get to her dead Dad, seriously injured Mom, and her sister.

One Officer took on a full adrenaline fueled physical assault from the daughter. She threw punches and verbal abuse at the Officer in a complete rage of emotion. He took it all in stride and with sincere care and emotion.

He kept that little girl from seeing the carnage, and then he held her and hugged her as reality sank in and she collapsed with her whole world in shatters in his arms. And he kept it together, with soothing words enough to unbuckle her knees.

He arranged for a separate ambulance to take her to the hospital. He carried her to the ambulance. And he did not let her see the devastation in that wreck. That alone probably saved that girl from becoming a complete mental basket case for the rest of her life.

Once that girl was off the scene - I saw that officer step out and fall apart for a few moments out of everyone's sight. I saw it. He got his shit back together in a few moments and stepped back up. But seeing that was very telling. Incredible.

I feel for those guys in blue who have to deal with this tragic stuff day in and day out. Hat's off to them!

Only a man with a heart of stone could read that dramatic story without breaking out into laughter.

Bullshit...right up there with Truckers all honking their horns for a cripped kid at Christmas, or whatever that story was...

Posted by: Warlock ()
Date: August 20, 2012 10:34AM

Once a valid spell or curse is cast based on true events - it is upon you.

It can not be undone.

You own it for your evil words - forever.

The crash story is true.

It was posted here on 8/4/2012.

Photo attached - so you have something to visualize when the curse strikes and you get the tragic news.
Attachments:
dougscrash.jpg

Posted by: BB*X ()
Date: August 20, 2012 11:00AM

So let's get this straight.

DUI = about $10K for lawyer, ASAP, fines, interlock, and increased insurance cost. Loss of license and possibly job due to conviction of said offense, not to mention all the comments you have to endure about how you could have killed someone.

Texting while driving = a small fine and no points on your license

People will not stop texting and driving until the punishment is much harsher. If some 16 year old causes his/her parents to pay $10K to defend a texting charge it will stop.

I love how anyone that is caught for a DUI gets to hear about how they could have killed a whole family and themselves. You could kill a whole family and yourself texting but no one ever brings that up.

When I walk my dogs I like to watch the people that pass me in their cars. Over three quarters are looking down as they pass me or have their phone on top of the steering wheel trying to type, fucking morons.

Posted by: Gypsy Woman ()
Date: August 20, 2012 11:37AM

Once a valid spell or curse is cast based on true events - it is upon you.

It can not be undone.

You own it for your evil words - forever.

The crash story is true.

It was posted here on 8/4/2012

Yes, but don't you know about the REVERSE CURSE? The person who makes the curse has the same thing happen to them! You're dead, too! You're cursed for like, forever, and even longer!

Posted by: Jason K ()
Date: August 20, 2012 01:46PM

Didn't realize it was even illegal, considering how many people do it.

Posted by: Factoid ()
Date: August 20, 2012 01:56PM

Texting/CEll Phone use is now attributed to 23% of all accidents nationwide.

TURN YOUR RINGER TO OFF AND PUT YOUR PHONE IN THE GLOVE BOX!

Posted by: Diavel ()
Date: August 20, 2012 01:57PM

I've lost track of the number of Fairfax Co cops I see texting while driving--and no, I don't think the majority of these texts relate to hot cases. One asshole Fairfax cop even tweeted live on-scene about the guy in Great Falls who was crushed by the tree...

Who will guard the guardians?

Posted by: Dr. Jekyl ()
Date: August 20, 2012 02:00PM

^ Idiot. Regardless of what you see - IT IS STOOPID TO TEXT WHILE DRIVING.

Posted by: shut your face ()
Date: August 20, 2012 04:08PM

Its not a problem to text and drive if you know what you are doing. Being an awesome driver I never have any issues and I text and drive all the time...I even play solitare while driving and not one problem. The idiots who crash while texting are likely women or just have inferior genes and it is probally beter for the human race that they are gone...plus less traffic on the road for us good drivers

Posted by: #467 fan ()
Date: August 20, 2012 08:50PM

As a teen James Holzier was in a car accident that almost cost him his life, leaving his face badly scarred. Luckily the scars went away.

Posted by: stephen ()
Date: August 21, 2012 10:48AM

Who's going to police the police, I see them doing it all the time.

Posted by: family victimof accicdent ()
Date: August 22, 2012 02:08PM

I agree with you! Recenlty a women rear-ended my mini-van. My young child was in the 3rd row (back of the van in his car seat of course) He was not injured only becasue the tow bar on the van assisted with stopping the impact. The women who hit us was cited for fail to pay full attention. Damn right she was not paying attention, she hit our vehicle going 45 mph and we were stopped at a red light. WTF! She will only get a small fine and no points for this? you have to be kidding me. And on top of this, I did my research and found that two weeks before our accident, she was fined for the same citation. - I woudl really like to know what is going to be the consequences she will paying for totalling our vehicle and who knows what damaged was done on the other citation.

Posted by: snakeinthegrass ()
Date: August 22, 2012 02:32PM

family victimof accicdent Wrote:
> I agree with you! Recenlty a women rear-ended my
> mini-van. My young child was in the 3rd row (back
> of the van in his car seat of course) He was not
> injured only becasue the tow bar on the van
> assisted with stopping the impact. The women who
> hit us was cited for fail to pay full attention.
> Damn right she was not paying attention, she hit
> our vehicle going 45 mph and we were stopped at a
> red light. WTF! She will only get a small fine
> and no points for this? you have to be kidding
> me. And on top of this, I did my research and
> found that two weeks before our accident, she was
> fined for the same citation. - I woudl really like
> to know what is going to be the consequences she
> will paying for totalling our vehicle and who
> knows what damaged was done on the other citation.

Sue her?

Posted by: Tim Phelps ()
Date: September 01, 2015 09:13AM

Hi,

I hope you're doing well. I'm working on a community project to help spread awareness about the dangers of distracted driving. I was checking out your page here: http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/982741.html

Are you open to suggestions for new or additional resources to add to this page?

This resource educates the public and supports legislation and new technological solutions for driving responsibly. A great explanation of the program can be found here: http://www.verizonwireless.com/aboutus/commitment/safety-security/dont-text-and-drive.html

I think it would be really helpful to spread the word about this and other programs to build safer communities. I really appreciate you taking the time to create and maintain your wonderful site. Keep up the great work!

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Tim

Posted by: WTF??? ()
Date: September 01, 2015 09:17AM

The law provides an exemption for public safety personnel while performing their duties.

So it's ok for some drivers to text and drive but not others?????

Posted by: textingbad ()
Date: September 01, 2015 10:12AM

Texting is bad, but not worse than SUVs. Why don't we just ban the SUVs. It would be easier.

Fairfax Police Wrote:
> The City of Fairfax Police Department is
> emphasizing enforcement of Virginia’s “No
> Texting While Driving” law. The department
> reminds drivers of the importance of paying
> attention while traveling on the roadways and of
> being respectful of other motorists as they travel
> through the City of Fairfax. Text messaging while
> driving is illegal and dangerous.
>
> A section of the Virginia State Code adopted in
> 2009 states it is unlawful for any person to
> operate a moving motor vehicle while using any
> handheld personal communications device to
> manually enter multiple letters or text in the
> device as a means of communicating with another
> person, or to read any email or text message
> transmitted to the device or stored within it.
> Violation of this law is punishable by a fine. The
> law provides an exemption for public safety
> personnel while performing their duties. Drivers
> who are texting also may be charged under code
> provisions for failure to pay full time and
> attention or failing to maintain proper control.
>
> Driver distractions reduce awareness of the
> driving environment, interfere with the driver’s
> decision-making process and deteriorate overall
> driving performance. Police encourage motorists to
> stay focused, to continually be aware of other
> drivers and pedestrians and to obey all applicable
> traffic laws.
> To enhance the safety of all motorists and
> pedestrians, City of Fairfax Police officers will
> be aggressively conducting selective enforcement
> of the law banning texting while driving.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.