HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Jury Duty
Posted by: The rural juror ()
Date: August 16, 2012 06:13PM

Just got a letter saying I was selected for Jury Duty for the Fairfax County Circuit court. Any ideas of how to get out of it? Thanks in advanced.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jury Duty
Posted by: Smart Enough To Know ()
Date: August 16, 2012 06:49PM

The only people who serve on juries are those who are not smart enough to get out of it.

Posted by: OMG! ()
Date: August 16, 2012 07:04PM

You can't!

Just do it and be glad you served.

Do you not want a person to have a jury of his peers? Or do you just want the homeless to be on the jury.

Watch what you wish for.

Posted by: Peers? ()
Date: August 16, 2012 07:14PM

A jury of his peers? So a street thug should be judged by 12 other street thugs? A drug dealer by 12 other drug dealers? A child molester by 12 other Chesters? I would hope that such would be judged by those who are better.

Posted by: OJ ()
Date: August 16, 2012 07:31PM

If the glove does not fit, you must acquit!

Posted by: Nova_Native ()
Date: August 16, 2012 10:01PM

The rural juror Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just got a letter saying I was selected for Jury
> Duty for the Fairfax County Circuit court. Any
> ideas of how to get out of it? Thanks in
> advanced.

You must be either very young or very lucky not to have had this experience before. I've been called four times!

Getting out of Jury duty is actually quite easy, and people who make it out to be such a difficult thing to do can't know very much about the process. It's all a matter of having or claiming to have bias against either the prosecution or the defense. This of course assumes that you are told to report. If your pool is not called in, you're off the hook. If it is, you've got to go in. The best you can do is delay being called in. You can't get out of this part -- there are exceptions actually, but the reason needs to be something like "I'm deploying that day", and not "but I have an important sales meeting then".

As a prospective Juror, you'll be taken into a court room where the judge, the prosecutor, the defense attorney and the defendant will be sitting in the traditional Perry Mason setting. Twelve of your pool and maybe four or so alternates will be more or less randomly selected to sit in the jury box; the rest will sit in audience seats.

After the usual remarks about your civic duty and the like from the judge, he or she and both defense and prosecution attornies will then start to ask the prospective jurors in the box questions, a process referred to as voir dire. The prosecutor will ask questions such as "Do you think the Police are fair in their dealings with the public?". Obviously, if you say "I think the cops are just criminals with badges", you're showing a biased view of the Police, and would not be inclined to believe an Officer's testimony. The prosecutor will issue a peremptory challenge and you'll be struck from the list. The defense attorney asks things like "what is your occupation?" and "do you know anyone who has been a victim of this type of crime?", because if a prospective juror shares certain characteristics with the victim, such as a job, or knows someone effected by the same crime, it is unlikely that person can be fair and unbiased. Another challenge and another struck name.

A struck prospective juror isn't told the reason, he or she is simply thanked for service and dismissed. So, if you're in the audience and all 12 persons in the box and the alternates "make the cut", then you're done, struck by default. You give the clerk of the court your name on the way out, and you won't be called again for three years.

If you are in the box, and not challenged, you're a juror. If you are challenged, you leave and another prospect is selected to go up into the box. As long as the jury is being selected, prospects remain in the audience. Having been through this more than once, I can tell you to expect it to take a goodly part of the day.

So the upshot. Say and admit to prejudices that would make you unattractive to either the prosecution or the defense, and you'll be struck. But you should do your civic duty, be honest, and, if selected, serve honorably. Our system of Justice won't work if citizens refuse to participate fairly.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: Primary caregiver ()
Date: August 25, 2012 02:56PM

Just got a questionaire for jury selection. I'm the primary caregiver for an elderly parent who's mobility-impaired in a three-story home. I take her to on average more than 1 medical appointment per month. I've taken her to the hospital for three medical emergencies in the past year, the most recent two weeks ago. Is a doctor's letter a requirement or a good thing to include with my explanation in claiming an exemption?

Posted by: easy out ()
Date: August 25, 2012 03:33PM

just tell them you hate jews, blacks, and gays...boom no jury duty

Posted by: JohnGalt338 ()
Date: August 25, 2012 03:53PM

Just leave the United States and find some other country where you have no responsibility. There are plenty of places in the world where you have no expectation of a fair trial - I suggest you move to one of those countries.

Posted by: no vote ()
Date: August 25, 2012 10:09PM

I quit voting (in 1972) and haven't been called for jury duty since. No big deal, since no political candidate has ever lost or won by (my) one vote in all that time.

I have a job that if you miss work, you better be in a coma in the fucking hospital. They'll tell you that an employer can not penalize an employee because of jury duty. That is complete and utter bullshit.

Turn in your voter reg and you'll not have to worry about jury duty!

Posted by: darpa-derpa ()
Date: August 26, 2012 10:02AM

Was your jury summons delivered by certified mail? If not run it through the shredder when was the last time someone got locked up for failure to report to jury duty.

Posted by: Olde Farte, II ()
Date: August 26, 2012 10:20AM

darpa-derpa Wrote:
> ... when was the last time someone got locked up for failure to
> report to jury duty.

I believe they send marshals to get you and take you to court. What the judge does after that probably varies including fines or maybe even jail time ("contempt of court" laws are draconian).

When I get summoned I just serve - interesting break on the routine, usually.

Very very expensive break(*), admittedly, but interesting none-the-less.

===========

Fairfax gives you $30 (I think) for your daily jury duty. Since I'm an hourly software developer contractor when wearing my work hat that $30 covers a small part of one hour's missed pay (since hourly contractors agree not to get paid for unbilled hours and no client is going to pay for an hourly contractor who isn't doing the client's work).

Posted by: chocolate starfish ()
Date: August 27, 2012 02:38AM

"I believe they send marshals to get you"

Who? Tommy Lee Jones? You watch too many movies. Fairfux doesn't have Marshals, just Sheriffs that handle the jail, court baliffs and serving civil process I.E evictions, subpoenas. Get a PO Box, no jury duty.

Posted by: Olde Farte, II ()
Date: August 27, 2012 07:02AM

chocolate starfish Wrote:
> "I believe they send marshals to get you"
>
> Who? Tommy Lee Jones? You watch too many movies.
> Fairfux doesn't have Marshals, just Sheriffs...

What's in a name?

Getting hauled into court by a couple guys with badges and guns is what counts, right?

Posted by: Kardinal ()
Date: August 27, 2012 12:20PM

OMG! Wrote:
> You can't!
>
> Just do it and be glad you served.
>
> Do you not want a person to have a jury of his
> peers? Or do you just want the homeless to be on
> the jury.
>
> Watch what you wish for.

This.

Posted by: JohnGalt338 ()
Date: September 03, 2012 11:20AM

So, Rural Juror - have you done your duty?

Posted by: Rural juror ()
Date: September 03, 2012 05:50PM

I just threw away the questionaire

Posted by: needful ()
Date: January 26, 2013 12:39PM

hey, post a copy of the letter on here! I need a copy

Posted by: Done that! ()
Date: February 10, 2013 10:29AM

P.P. Boxes will not exempt you from jury duty. When I had one, I got the form at the P.O. Box address and at the home address, though each was located in a different county. This was for the Federal Court in Alexandria. So moving won't exempt you either. There is a building with lots of US Marshals in it in Tysons II. Also, lack of Marshals is not an optional excuse.

Posted by: huEbv ()
Date: February 10, 2013 11:23AM

All you need to say is something about your prejudice.

I once heard a potential juror say something like Hitler murdered six million Jews and he missed this mother fucker?

He was gone before the echo dissipated.

Posted by: KCeFU ()
Date: February 10, 2013 11:25AM

no vote Wrote:
> I quit voting (in 1972) and haven't been called
> for jury duty since. No big deal, since no
> political candidate has ever lost or won by (my)
> one vote in all that time.
>
> I have a job that if you miss work, you better be
> in a coma in the fucking hospital. They'll tell
> you that an employer can not penalize an employee
> because of jury duty. That is complete and utter
> bullshit.
>
> Turn in your voter reg and you'll not have to
> worry about jury duty!

Not true -- if you have a driver license or file federal taxes you can be in the local or fed potential pool.

Posted by: dieing breed ()

I have served on jury duty several times in the last 20yrs. What I don't understand is why so many people I know have never been summonsed.

So don't go on about patriotic duty telling people to move to another country Galt.

Furthermore, when was the last time your government served you?

Jury duty should be on a volunteer basis. More people would apply than are needed.

Posted by: dieing breed ()

I have served on jury duty several times in the last 20yrs. What I don't understand is why so many people I know have never been summonsed.

So don't go on about patriotic duty telling people to move to another country Galt.

Furthermore, when was the last time your government served you?

Jury duty should be on a volunteer basis. More people would apply than are needed.

Posted by: Visitor ()
Date: February 11, 2013 11:57AM

I don't know specifically about Fairfax, but in most jurisdictions your jury notice is a letter sent by ordinary mail, specifying the date to report and including a form for you to return with basic information about yourself. If you don't respond, it's very difficult for the authorities to do anything to you because they can't prove that you received your notice. The next step might be to send you a certified letter that you sign for, or to call you if they can find a number for you. But in an area as big and mobile as this one, it's easier and cheaper for them to just assume that they used outdated information and just write you off. Of course, if you DO respond and just don't show up, the authorities know you got the notice, they know where to find you, and they might well send somebody after you. So you might consider ignoring the notice and seeing what happens; most likely, the worst will be that you will get a more emphatic second notice, and probably not even that. (Of course, if somebody decides to make you the exception and drags you out of your workplace in handcuffs, you'll have a great story to tell.)

Posted by: Visitor ()
Date: February 11, 2013 12:04PM

"Jury duty should be on a volunteer basis. More people would apply than are needed."

The big problem with that is that a volunteer jury pool would not reflect the community. It would be composed of people with nothing else to do, or who need the daily jury fee, or who have political agendas (and that could go either way: "Lock'em all up!" or "Free the downtrodden from capitalist oppression!"). Some countries use "professional" juries; as their employment depends on the judicial system retaining them, there is a room for doubt about the objectivity of their verdicts.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.