HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Best Annuities
Posted by: Dude Needs Help ()
Date: August 15, 2012 11:31PM

Can anyone give me some advise on the best annuities to invest in?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Annuities
Posted by: financial planner ()
Date: August 16, 2012 09:09AM

Try Bernard L. Madoff Securities LLC.

Posted by: Curmudgeon ()
Date: August 16, 2012 09:12AM

annuities are generally pretty terrible investments. you can probably beat the return with a muni bond fund or something along those lines.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: August 16, 2012 12:06PM

OP-Do you really understand what you are getting when investing in an annuity? Are you talking fixed or variable? If it is a variable annuity, do you know the difference in the rate of return you will be getting through the annuity company v. investing directly in the underlying assets, and do you know what you are getting in return for that lower return? Do you know the financial situation of the annuity company and do you understand why that is important? Do you know when you are permitted to begin taking penalty-free withdrawals from the fund and how much the penalties would be if you took the funds out early? Do you know what the commission is that is going to be paid to the broker or advisor who sold you the annuity, and have you considered how that might influence the advisor's opinion?

I'm sure there are a number of other questions to consider.

I am not anti-annuities. I do believe though that many annuities are sold in high pressure sales pitches which overestimate the benefits of annuities while understating or ignoring their weaknesses. For a knowledgeable investor or one who is being well guided by an independent financial advisor, they may be great. An uninformed investor relying on the advice of someone who stands to get a fat commission for closing the deal is likely to get screwed.

Posted by: Insurance guy ()
Date: August 16, 2012 12:12PM

The responses you've gotten and are likely to get on this thread are from people who know less about annuities than you do. I sell a ton of them and don't need your business so I'll offer the brief lowdown on them here.

Avoid any type of annuity with the word "variable" in it. You would be buying a high load mutual fund with insurance expenses that would retard growth in good markets and gobble up your principal in bad ones. Fixed equity-indexed annuities are the only thing I sell and they can be appropriate for people in their mid-50's to 60's who are looking to make some money in good markets but don't want to lose it in bad ones. Allianz and Aviva are the market leaders in this segment but there are others out there that are fine if they have reasonable early surrender charges (starting at about 8-12% and going down in future years) and decent credit ratings.

It's not great for liquidity but if you're willing to keep it there for a few years you should be fine. Also, when your ready to take money out of it don't chose an annuity payout because you give up control of your principal. Good luck.

Posted by: all you need to do ()
Date: August 17, 2012 07:07PM

You need to diversify your bonds, nigga.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.