HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Is Panhandling illegal in Fairfax Co. now?
Posted by: 6X ()
Date: August 09, 2012 05:31PM

My friend was panhandling on Rt. 1 and a cop told him he did not want to see him in the area again. What is the law in Fairfax Co. on panhandling?
Attachments:
homeless.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Panhandling illegal in Fairfax Co. now?
Posted by: yours for the taking ()
Date: August 09, 2012 05:58PM

Your friend is wrong. He needs to contact Sharon Bulova. The county has all kinds of goodies for free just waiting for him. In case she cannot get him pointed in the right direction then contact Honest Gerry Connolly.

Whoever panhandles in this day and age is a total fool.
Attachments:
2544144437_sl_fluke_0306_blog_xlarge.jpg

Posted by: Angry White Man ()
Date: August 09, 2012 06:51PM

Curiously, Arlington County is full of panhandlers. I checked their ordinances and I see that they require permits to panhandle.

There is one fellow who carries a sign that says "always faithful". What I see is that he is faithful to his corner at Washington blvd and Lee Highway.

Why don't they haul these scumbags away?

Posted by: Novel Idea ()
Date: August 09, 2012 07:24PM

OP, How about your friend go out and get a job? Just a real question.

Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: August 09, 2012 07:29PM

Gerry Connolly just sent a flyer paid for by our tax dollars for his campaign. I consider that to be panhandling.

Date: August 09, 2012 07:34PM

Maybe Connolly can hire the "friend" to hand out flyers and really help the economy.

Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: August 09, 2012 08:06PM

Novel Idea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe Connolly can hire the "friend" to hand out
> flyers and really help the economy.

Maybe some undocumented workers or folks who think its okay to speak about violence against Americans in their textbooks. Gotta love the Saudi Academy, and his taking campaign dollar after dollar from them.

Does the Emir of Saudi Arabia kiss the pinkie ring of Gerry? I'm curious.

Posted by: gerry c jr ()
Date: August 09, 2012 08:15PM

Why anyone would choose to work anymore is beyond me. Obama just signed off an executive order gutting the welfare to work program. You no longer have to work, seek work or train for work. Thats all over now. You can remain on welfare your entire life if you see fit.

Posted by: It is illegal ()
Date: August 09, 2012 08:47PM

It is illegal. I found out a few weeks ago. I had my kids's basketball team at an intersection on various corners with signs that said help us get to nationals. We were not harassing people just had a bucket and sign. An hour into our fundraising efforts a cop came by and said 3 different people had reported us. WTF? He said I feel bad because I have been watching you guys from the school and I can see you are not obstructing taffic and you aren't shouting but in FFX you have to have a permit to conduct any business near a roadway. Who knew panhandling was a business. He suggested we hold up a sign that said turn into the school to give us money. This would be ok. How many people do you know that will turn in based on a sign? All these people bitch and moan about how kids are menaces to society anymore and when they are raising money for something good that they are doing that keeps them out of trouble they're reported to the police. Crazy. So we came down to the City of Alexandria and cops drove by and donated to their team. LMAO!!! I am sure it is frowned upon there too but since they weren't hurting anybody nobody cared.

Posted by: meterf ()
Date: August 10, 2012 01:33AM

In some states they specifically allow panhandling and even designate areas as "panhandles". Florida has a panhandle area, and so does Oklahoma. Maryland also has a panhandle area. Idaho and Texas also have areas for panhandling.

Posted by: your friend ()
Date: August 10, 2012 01:49AM

Was he the guy pan handling outside walmart?

Date: August 10, 2012 07:42AM

your friend Wrote:
> Was he the guy pan handling outside walmart?

No. But I heard the cop that arrested that guy was hot. Not sure what the charge was.

Date: August 10, 2012 12:18PM

So the fireman trying to fill the boot is illegal? I call BS. I believe that you are allowed to stand on public areas, unless you obstruct traffic or are a menance. In which case, the cops can move you away. If you've gotten three (3) complaints via 911, the kids might have been more aggressive than you know.

Posted by: Radar Man ()
Date: August 10, 2012 03:22PM

I dont know, why dont you check your police scanner you loser.

Posted by: GFR ()
Date: August 10, 2012 03:29PM

Novel Idea Wrote:
> So the fireman trying to fill the boot is illegal?
> I call BS. I believe that you are allowed to
> stand on public areas, unless you obstruct traffic
> or are a menance. In which case, the cops can
> move you away. If you've gotten three (3)
> complaints via 911, the kids might have been more
> aggressive than you know.

Well...YES it is illegal for the fire department to be doing this. And they know it. The police look the other way when the fire department does it.

Date: August 10, 2012 04:31PM

Radar Man Wrote:
> I dont know, why dont you check your police
> scanner you loser.

Like that would be on the scanner, eesh.
Attachments:
cat 6x.jpg

Posted by: Scum Bag ()
Date: June 07, 2014 10:45PM

Scum bags? how about a little humility. Until you have an addiction or choose to practice a little humility and put yourself in a desperate humans shoes keep your bigoted comments to yourself. not everyone is born with a silver spoon in their ass.

Posted by: Gerry's 4th chin ()
Date: June 08, 2014 09:19AM

If they vote for me they can panhandle all they want

Posted by: Still... ()
Date: June 08, 2014 09:21AM

yours for the taking Wrote:
> Whoever panhandles in this day and age is a total fool.

It beats being a Republican.

Posted by: Begging Laws in Virginia ()
Date: June 09, 2014 04:45AM

Here's the answer...

Begging Laws in Virginia

Panhandling laws in Virginia vary from city to city and county to county. In any incorporated city, you must check with local authorities to figure out the law for the area. They will be able to tell you if a permit is required to panhandle or if there are any begging restrictions.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_8696837_begging-laws-virginia.html#ixzz34877OXpm

Posted by: Makes Sense ()
Date: June 09, 2014 07:58AM

Begging Laws in Virginia Wrote:
> Here's the answer...
>
> Begging Laws in Virginia
>
> Panhandling laws in Virginia vary from city to
> city and county to county. In any incorporated
> city, you must check with local authorities to
> figure out the law for the area. They will be able
> to tell you if a permit is required to panhandle
> or if there are any begging restrictions.
>
> Read more:
> http://www.ehow.com/info_8696837_begging-laws-virg
> inia.html#ixzz34877OXpm

This makes sense that there would be different restrictions for the different counties.

Posted by: theangelmichael ()
Date: July 08, 2014 04:32PM

IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO PANHANDLE IN FAIRFAX COUNTY OR ANYWHERE ELSE. HOW CAN IT BE?! YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT, BUT IT IS FREEDOM OF SPEECH, EXPRESSION, ETC. PANHANDLING IS PROTECTED BY THE FIRST AMENDMENT!!! MANY JUDGES CITY STATE AND FEDERAL HAVE DECLARED TIME AND TIME AGAIN THAT BANNING PANHANDLING ARE ILLEGAL LAWS. JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING IS A LAW DOESNT MAKE IT LEGAL!!! AND FURTHERMORE THERE IS NOT A PANHANDLING BAN IN FAIRFAX COUNTY!!! NEITHER THE STATE OF VIRGINA NOR FAIRFAX COUNTY HAVE A PANHANDLING BAN BECAUSE THEY WOULD NEVER GET THESE LAWS PASSED!!!! SO THEY ENFORCE IT LIKE IT IS A LAW, WHEN IT ISNT!!! (and you people who like to say "yes it is, look..." and then post a link to the ENTIRE CONTENTS OF VIRGINIA LAW, STOP!!! If you think it is a law, I would be very happy to see it in the form of the code, and the actual law. Fairfax county has ordinances on Peddling, Canvassing, and Soliciting, but that is NOT what panhanding IS. Peddling, Canvassing, and Soliciting are various ways of SOLICITING. The LEGAL definition of all three is "ATTEMPTING TO EXCHANGED GOOD (in the form of product or physical work) for MONEY. You see that? You have to OFFER something. SOLICITING DONATIONS on the other hand is just that. SOLICITING DONATIONS. And fairfax county has a ordinence on THAT but it boils down to YOU DO NOT NEED A LICENSE TO SOLICIT DONATIONS AS LONG AS ALL THE PROCEEDS (up to 5000 dollars per day) go to the named benificiary. PERIOD. Im sorry. But that is the law.

Posted by: ILLEGAL PANHANDLING IN FFX CO ()
Date: July 08, 2014 04:36PM

IF IT'S NOT ILLEGAL HOW CAN WE MAKE IT SO?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Wjt34
This forum powered by Phorum.