HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
New Regulations Could be Hard on Fairfax Child Care Providers
Posted by: Mitt - The Political Lapdog! ()
Date: July 25, 2012 05:39PM

New Regulations Could be Hard on Fairfax Child Care Providers
New state regulations would require a zoning check for new and renewed licenses.
By William Callahan
July 24, 2012
http://fairfaxstation.patch.com/articles/new-regulations-could-be-hard-on-fairfax-child-care-providers

Proposed regulations and changes to licensing and zoning processes could place stress on Fairfax County in-home day care providers.

Approximately 200 childcare providers and parents packed into the board auditorium at Fairfax County Government Center Monday night for a two-hour town hall meeting hosted by Springfield District Supervisor Pat Herrity and Sully District Supervisor Michael Frey.

Attendees were able to provide input and learn more about the changes, which Chairman Sharon Bulova detailed in a recent letter to the county’s nearly 500 state-licensed childcare providers.

Virginia state licenses allow for a maximum of 12 children per day care center. But Fairfax County only allows for seven per single-family home, or 10 with a special permit. Townhouses, apartments and mobile homes are allowed five children.

Many in-home day care providers are now worried that zoning ordinances will force them to lower the number of children they are allowed to take in; others are intimidated by a $1,100 nonrefundable filing fee for a special permit to allow more children – a permit they aren’t necessarily guaranteed to get.

Tereena Ford Jones, a county-licensed provider for 20 years, said these new regulations would make running her business difficult, and that the county had to raise the number of children allowed in townhomes and apartments.

“A lot of us are raising our families on this business,” she said. “It takes away from the simplicity of just inviting children into your home and providing a service for parents who want to have their child safe. We’re not baby sitters anymore. We’re pre-school.”

The county’s Department of Planning and Zoning must now sign off when providers renew their state licenses, or new providers get their first state license, in accordance with a new Virginia Department of Social Services requirement.

County staff is currently drafting an amendment to consider raising the number of children in a facility with a special permit from 10 to 12 while lowering the $1,100 fee, but it might take several months.

“There is a shortage of licensed providers and I don’t want to see that number shrink because of unnecessary regulation,” Herrity said in his opening remarks.

“I’m going to do everything I can to make sure it’s reduced,” Herrity said later in the town hall. “I want you to know that current state-licensed child care providers will be given a grace period and will not be required to drop any children until the review of the zoning process is completed,” he said.

Felicia Kleinfelt, a parent who works sporadic hours and relies on flexible home-based day-care, worried that her kids would be at risk.

“If children are going to get cut, then that puts my children on the chopping block … to make more room for full time children,” she said. “It puts me in a position where I will either have to stop working or I’ll be basically paying to work, which doesn’t make any sense either. These are tough economic times and we do need to have flexibility so that people can have adequate child care. “

Frey said that the special permit allowed the county to make decisions on a case-by-case basis.

“We don’t allow many businesses in residentially zoned properties,” he said. “Childcare is one that is allowed in certain instances and up to certain numbers. … While there are locations where perhaps 12 children might be appropriate, there are certainly residential areas where 12 is not.”

The county’s Office for Children has also proposed amending a series of regulations, including criminal offenses that could prevent people from getting a license, and an annual 16 hours of training that would be phased in over three years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Regulations Could be Hard on Fairfax Child Care Providers
Posted by: The Sad Truth ()
Date: July 25, 2012 06:17PM

Home day care is cheap, that's why they're so popular. I would never put a kid in one, especially if it's someome u don't know. That being said, for some parents this is the only option and I can certainly respect that. Unfortunately others use home day care as budget saver in order so to make their payment on the Mercedes not knowing what dangers lurk. Seems like I would want to spend money on my kids first before the car.

Posted by: Plothound ()
Date: September 15, 2014 11:48AM

You could go out of County for your child care needs. I used to live in Ashburn before moving to Fairfax 2 years ago in 2012. While there are responsible child care places lining the main roads in Ashburn, there are also many "un-regulated" ones being run out of houses and townhouses there.

Those are really cheaper than the legitimate schools, I suspect because they are cash only businesses being run under the radar like the one in the 2nd block of Ferncliff Terrace. People can make a ton of tax-free money doing those kinds of home businesses.

Problem is with these businesses there is NO real supervision of the kids. They are allowed to run free trashing the home place and often left turned loose outside to play and damaging things belonging to the neighborhood residents around them as they are allowed to tresspass at will, trash neighborhood lawns and gardens, leave their toys spread out all over the residents neighborhood private owned spaces, etc. There is no real oversight.

We used to see little kids on trikes riding alone up and down the paved trails right next to the heavily travelled Ashburn Boulevard, where high-speed traffic is flying by day and night. These were 2-3 year olds with no adult to be seen anywhere in site! Glad I don't live near one of these places now. But you get what you pay for. When using a place like that, you should offer a silent thank you to the powers that be each day your kid comes home still alive and healthy.

Posted by: dbeXY ()
Date: September 15, 2014 12:50PM

Mitt - The Political Lapdog! Wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------

i would have said: get the brats out before you catch them all on fire or they fall through the floor or i'll give the place to someone who has any sense in their head

herity is way too softly worded

Posted by: nUTp9 ()
Date: September 15, 2014 12:52PM

now back to the limit on BMW and mcmansion for fx co employees please

Posted by: LOL! ()
Date: September 15, 2014 01:02PM

The Sad Truth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Home day care is cheap, that's why they're so
> popular. I would never put a kid in one,
> especially if it's someome u don't know. That
> being said, for some parents this is the only
> option and I can certainly respect that.
> Unfortunately others use home day care as budget
> saver in order so to make their payment on the
> Mercedes not knowing what dangers lurk. Seems like
> I would want to spend money on my kids first
> before the car.

You don't have kids, you've never used a home day-care provider, and you're a mindless asshole. Don't want to leave that last part out.

Posted by: LOL! ()
Date: September 15, 2014 04:06PM

"The Sad Truth" is not the only total asshole to have posted here. For the remainder of you clueless dipshits, most home day-care service is provided by stay-at-home Mom's who have given up a job in order to care for their own kids. Caring for other compatible children is a way to close the financial gap that not working a 9-5 job creates. Day-care of course is typically a 7-6 job with no benefits. You must be licensed and certified to take children into your home. You must have passed criminal and other background checks. You must have passed health, safety and fire prevention exams. You will need a clean TB test. And since your client-parents will want to take the child care credit off their income taxes, you will have to be quite particular about your own filing with the IRS. Home day-care is basically like any other small business. If you comply with applicable laws and provide a quality service at a reasonable, you can make a successful go of it. If you fall short of any of that, you simply won't.

Posted by: BuggsyBunnymarmalade ()
Date: September 15, 2014 05:39PM

That is IF you comply. The local ones that DON't comply never get found out, as what parent paying a few bucks a day or hour for 24 hour available service is going to give up such a good thing by going to the authorities. The serious providers that do this out in the open charge enough to compensate for the heavy documentation and licensing burdens.

The ones providing this dirt-cheap service in a local neighborhood under the radar don't have to charge nearly as much as the regulated ones. You go figure, someone with a van can pick babies and kids up that would ordinarily be classified "latchkey kids", turn them loose in the house until its time for their parents to stop by for them, or even deliver them when the parents get home. Nine or 10 kids rotating in and out of a home every day and evening (for the evening shift workers) will bring in more than would a tenant renting out the providers extra bedroom "romper room."Low wage multiple kid mothers patronizing these places not wanting to give up their precious job at McDonalds therefore will have their kids picked up and kept until they get home for a small fee. The provider gets enough to buy a new Suburban (plus the obligatory BMW or starter Mercedes so the local folks won't know how poor the providersreally are from "giving up a real job" to stay home and take care of kids as you say) every year with the money saved from not having to pay for all the certifications and state, federal and local county and town jurisdictional taxes on a home-based business. If you want to know how much that adds up to, just do some research in the Fairfax County Government sites regarding to regulations and taxes on home based businesses. (May or may not be as complicated in surrounding counties, you have to research that if you want to start such a business). It is better if they turn professional, but in dealing with foreigners whose culture forbids them from working, or whose language skills level is too low for them to certify in a class environment, its one of the only ways they can thrive. You would be surprised how many of the foreigners are starting these little businesses in the metro area.

Posted by: SK ()
Date: September 15, 2014 06:26PM

In-Home Daycares are great if you want foreign, undocumented "helpers" who can't speak English babysitting your kid.

Posted by: parent of three ()
Date: September 15, 2014 07:23PM

LOL! Wrote:
> "The Sad Truth" is not the only total asshole to
> have posted here. For the remainder of you
> clueless dipshits, most home day-care service is
> provided by stay-at-home Mom's who have given up a
> job in order to care for their own kids. Caring
> for other compatible children is a way to close
> the financial gap that not working a 9-5 job
> creates. Day-care of course is typically a 7-6
> job with no benefits. You must be licensed and
> certified to take children into your home. You
> must have passed criminal and other background
> checks. You must have passed health, safety and
> fire prevention exams. You will need a clean TB
> test. And since your client-parents will want to
> take the child care credit off their income taxes,
> you will have to be quite particular about your
> own filing with the IRS. Home day-care is
> basically like any other small business. If you
> comply with applicable laws and provide a quality
> service at a reasonable, you can make a successful
> go of it. If you fall short of any of that, you
> simply won't.

You must be the one without kids and never looked for an in home daycare provider (or at least not in the past 10 years). Having gone through the process, it is difficult to find ones who are proficient in English, seem to enjoy what they do, and where the parents feel comfortable leaving their kids there.

You sound like some buffoon that likes to hear himself talk. A wannabe expert on everything, but a know nothing in actuality.

Posted by: LOL!... ()
Date: September 15, 2014 07:32PM

parent of three Wrote:
> You must be the one without kids and never looked
> for an in home daycare provider (or at least not
> in the past 10 years). Having gone through the
> process, it is difficult to find ones who are
> proficient in English, seem to enjoy what they do,
> and where the parents feel comfortable leaving
> their kids there.

So you've been looking in Culmore? Maybe broaden your horizons a little.

> You sound like some buffoon that likes to hear
> himself talk. A wannabe expert on everything, but
> a know nothing in actuality.

Did you want to dispute anything that was said, or are you just the useless mumbling dimbulb phony that I've so far taken you for?

Posted by: LOL... ()
Date: September 15, 2014 07:34PM

BuggsyBunnymarmalade Wrote:
> That is IF you comply.

Don't fucking leave your kids at a place that doesn't comply. How fucking dumb (or broke) are you?

Posted by: LOL... ()
Date: September 15, 2014 08:00PM

SK Wrote:
> In-Home Daycares are great if you want foreign,
> undocumented "helpers" who can't speak English
> babysitting your kid.

Hey, assfuck...do these awful people that you fear so much come over and steal your kids away from you? Or do you like have to drive them over to their place? There are meanwhile thousands of licensed, qualified, certified in-home day-care providers in the county. If you can't find one, it's nobody's fault but your own. Whiny helpless dumbass. It is true though that many providers speak more languages that you do. Might make you look bad in front of your kids.

Posted by: Unreal ()
Date: September 15, 2014 10:29PM

LOL... Wrote:
> SK Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > In-Home Daycares are great if you want foreign,
> > undocumented "helpers" who can't speak English
> > babysitting your kid.
>
> Hey, assfuck...do these awful people that you fear
> so much come over and steal your kids away from
> you? Or do you like have to drive them over to
> their place? There are meanwhile thousands of
> licensed, qualified, certified in-home day-care
> providers in the county. If you can't find one,
> it's nobody's fault but your own. Whiny helpless
> dumbass. It is true though that many providers
> speak more languages that you do. Might make you
> look bad in front of your kids.

Clearly you haven't mastered English yet. Try Rosetta Stone.

Posted by: parent of three ()
Date: September 16, 2014 10:10AM

LOL!... Wrote:
> parent of three Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You must be the one without kids and never
> looked
> > for an in home daycare provider (or at least
> not
> > in the past 10 years). Having gone through the
> > process, it is difficult to find ones who are
> > proficient in English, seem to enjoy what they
> do,
> > and where the parents feel comfortable leaving
> > their kids there.
>
> So you've been looking in Culmore? Maybe broaden
> your horizons a little.
>
> > You sound like some buffoon that likes to hear
> > himself talk. A wannabe expert on everything,
> but
> > a know nothing in actuality.
>
> Did you want to dispute anything that was said, or
> are you just the useless mumbling dimbulb phony
> that I've so far taken you for?

Oh, I see, you were just trolling. My bad for thinking anything differently.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.