HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
CHP question
Posted by: WinstonLS ()
Date: July 24, 2012 11:27AM

If you have a concealed carry permit, and you are pulled over by the cops (speeding, light out, anything) when they run your tags does it come up that you have that permit?

And if so, do you think the cops would know that you are responsible enough to have one, or assume you are armed and treat you as such?

I have a permit but RARELY carry so I was just wondering.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CHP question
Posted by: yes, it does ()
Date: July 24, 2012 11:29AM

it comes up

Posted by: FBO ()
Date: July 24, 2012 11:37AM

Yes. The CHP is tied to the vehicle registration - which means the plate.

If you are driving someone elses car, it wont show that YOU have a CHP, it will show if the registered owner of that vehicle has a CHP.

Same thing if someone else is driving your car. The officer may think the person driving is YOU and that they have a CHP.

Why have a permit if you RARELY carry; I have two on me at any moment in the day.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

I say "fuck" a lot...

Date: July 24, 2012 11:40AM

I rarely carry because I have to go into DC several times a day as I am on call. I carry when I have days off. Not the best situation, but I'm not going to mess around with having a handgun on me in DC.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: July 24, 2012 01:24PM

The frequency that a CHP holder carries is only the business of the holder.

If you are a CHP holder and get pulled over by police, they probably already know and there is no requirement for you to state you have one anyway.

But, don't assume he knows you have one if he asks. If you are asked if you are armed, state FIRST that you are a permit holder, then answer the question yes or no.

If you are asked to access documents where a firearm is stored such as the glovebox, state first that you are a permit holder, then say your registration and insurance are in the glove box with your firearm and ask how the officer would like you to proceed with retrieving the documents.

I think transporting in a glovebox might be legal without a permit now in VA, so if you don't have a CHP and run into that situation definitely tell the officer you are storing a firearm in the glovebox and ask how you should proceed.

Do all of the above with your hands on the steering wheel and you should be fine as far as the firearms are concerned, and probably score a point with the officer for being proactive about his or her safety.

Posted by: Ito ()
Date: July 24, 2012 01:33PM

@justsayin

+1

Good post. Occasionally people provide good, clear information on here.

Date: July 24, 2012 01:46PM

Yes, thank you justsayin. Wasn't really going to go into why I got my permit, it's my business and no one else's. I just wanted to be more aware of what comes with it; the things they don't tell you in the class. I appreciate your response.

Posted by: Z3R0 ()
Date: July 24, 2012 02:22PM

just wave your gat out duh window and tell that fool you be havin a license and shiet too.

Posted by: Mary 3 and 4 ()
Date: July 24, 2012 03:18PM

What a dissapointment. I thought this was a thread about Ponch and Jon.

Posted by: CCP Holder ()
Date: July 24, 2012 04:52PM

I hand the officer my CCP with my license and let him know then and there if there is a weapon in my vehicle. If you leave it up to the officer to figure it out by running your license through the computer it will likely piss them off and they may want you to sit on the curb in cuffs while they search your vehicle.

Posted by: Thought ()
Date: July 24, 2012 04:54PM

Put the gun in your mouth and pull the trigger.
Stop wasting our time.

Posted by: Me 2s ()
Date: July 24, 2012 05:14PM

CCP Holder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hand the officer my CCP with my license and let
> him know then and there if there is a weapon in my
> vehicle. If you leave it up to the officer to
> figure it out by running your license through the
> computer it will likely piss them off and they may
> want you to sit on the curb in cuffs while they
> search your vehicle.

I do the same. I also let them know in advance that I need to reach into the glove compartment to get my registration, etc. These guys have a tough enough job dealing with all of the unknowns and idiots that are presented on the job as it is. Given that I've not been given a ticket when I've done so, even when I've been guilty as hell which is always lol, they seem to appreciate somebody making that aspect of their life a little easier.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.