HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax Circle Plaza Shopping Center
Posted by: JK ()
Date: July 23, 2012 04:49PM

A much-needed redevelopment of the Fairfax Circle Shopping Center located at the intersections of Rt. 50 (Fairfax Blvd) and Rt. 29 (Lee Hwy) is in the planning stages. Plans include a Harris Teeter (secured) 50,000 sq ft grocery store, complemented by other retail uses, with condos above the shops and 2 parking garages.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax Circle Plaza Shopping Center
Posted by: hoocoodanode ()
Date: July 23, 2012 08:42PM

JK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A much-needed redevelopment of the Fairfax Circle
> Shopping Center located at the intersections of
> Rt. 50 (Fairfax Blvd) and Rt. 29 (Lee Hwy) is in

That's not Fairfax Circle. You must mean Rt 50 and Old Lee Highway.

Posted by: Jazzy Juice ()
Date: July 23, 2012 08:56PM

Are you sure about this.. is there a link?

Posted by: Where? ()
Date: July 24, 2012 06:31AM

Where the crappy Kmart is located? Across from the new Walmart?

Posted by: omnomnom ()
Date: July 24, 2012 07:59AM

hoocoodanode Wrote:
> JK Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > A much-needed redevelopment of the Fairfax
> Circle
> > Shopping Center located at the intersections of
> > Rt. 50 (Fairfax Blvd) and Rt. 29 (Lee Hwy) is
> in
>
> That's not Fairfax Circle. You must mean Rt 50 and
> Old Lee Highway.

I hope youre not serious. Thats the same intersection.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: July 24, 2012 08:05AM

if anyone's confused - its where the Dunkin Dounuts, Outdoor Store, and AT&T are, across from the Chick-fil-A right after the eastern entrance of Fairfax Blvd into the city

Posted by: omnomnom ()
Date: July 24, 2012 08:06AM

Thank you gordon, at least someone knows the roads around here.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: July 24, 2012 09:15AM

No more Peter Pan Buffet? A Harris Teeter would be great in that location, but I would be interested in seeing which stores stay and go. A more seamless connection between the side with Staples/HTO and the smaller retailer stores would be great, especially if they could fix the area in front of Performance Bike and subway which just dangerous for walking if you are not paying attention.

Posted by: Sardines ()
Date: July 24, 2012 09:33AM

JK Wrote:
> A much-needed redevelopment of the Fairfax Circle
> Shopping Center located at the intersections of
> Rt. 50 (Fairfax Blvd) and Rt. 29 (Lee Hwy) is in
> the planning stages. Plans include a Harris Teeter
> (secured) 50,000 sq ft grocery store, complemented
> by other retail uses, with condos above the shops
> and 2 parking garages.

Just what we need, more condos. Next they'll be building high
rises on the median strips.

Posted by: old timey ()
Date: July 24, 2012 11:20AM

sardines said,"Just what we need, more condos. Next they'll be building high
rises on the median strips'

this comes right on top of the soon to be redeveloped Circle Towers and Metrowest is quite a ways from being fully devloped. traffic will be effing awful in a couple years along Route 29 from Merrifield to Fairfax Circle and beyond.

Posted by: snakeinthegrass ()
Date: July 24, 2012 12:04PM

Any work done to that shopping center would be welcome. Level the whole thing and start over.

Posted by: Merrified Metro ()
Date: July 24, 2012 12:33PM

HEY EVERYBODY ARE YOU ALL TALKING ABOUT MERRIFIELD METRO LOCATION A HARRIS TWEETER & 2 CAR GARAGE COMMING SOON IN PROCESS OF BEING BUILT AS I WRITE THIS...

I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY PERMITS FOR FAIRFAX CIRCLE DEVELOPMENT

Posted by: Kamp Washingtonian ()
Date: July 24, 2012 01:31PM

They are making their first presentation to the Fairfax City Council tonight.

Here is a link to the presentation...

http://fairfax.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=2&event_id=148&meta_id=30105

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: July 24, 2012 03:22PM

Kamp Washingtonian Wrote:
> They are making their first presentation to the
> Fairfax City Council tonight.
>
> Here is a link to the presentation...
>
> http://fairfax.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id
> =2&event_id=148&meta_id=30105

Thanks for providing the link! At first glance this looks like a nice development and I like the mixed-use concept, although I can see how it can create new traffic issues without complimentary road improvements. If they could attract a nice sitdown restaurant (another GAR property to bookend Artie's around the corner?) this might be a nice place.

Posted by: ripped forearms ()
Date: July 24, 2012 03:30PM

So are they gonna do away with bubbas? Where are they going to relocate the junkyard of old broken down cars that pollute the parking lot?

Date: July 24, 2012 03:55PM

I'd think that Staples and Ruby Tuesday would stay, don't know about the rest.

Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: July 24, 2012 05:44PM

No more fucking Walgreen's!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Olde Tyme ()
Date: July 25, 2012 01:18AM

Wasn't there a Safeway in that shopping center, and a single-screen movie theater next to Staples?

Posted by: Kamp Washingtonian ()
Date: July 25, 2012 07:46AM

Yah, thats the sad part. The movie theater (which was the biggest Lowe's in the country for a while) was converted into the HTO store. You can still tell where it was by the part of the shopping center that pops up.

I'm all for redeveloping this shopping center and I know it isn't historic or anything, but it will still be sad to see it finally gone.

Posted by: Native Speaker ()
Date: July 25, 2012 08:59AM

That movie theater was awesome. I aw Return of the Jedi and a bunch of other movies there a long time ago. It was enourmous. It will be sad to see all that go, but it does need a change. Maybe Peter Pan Buffet can get torn down as well.

Date: July 26, 2012 03:43PM

Any new news on this front? How the the hearing go? Is the city moving forward with the next step in the zoning/approval process?

Date: July 26, 2012 06:50PM

They were just preliminary plans. Completion wouldn't be till at least 2014 or 2015.

Posted by: My mutha the car ()
Date: July 27, 2012 08:43AM

Is the auto body shop going to be chased away?

and Malik Kabob just opened

Posted by: Sigmund ()
Date: July 27, 2012 08:18PM

Like a previous poster said, it would be best to knock the whole center down and start over. The center was poorly designed from the beginning with the two sections in an odd configuration. Safeway and Dart Drug were the main original tenants on the higher elevation section. The theater and Giant Food were on the smaller pad. (Giant was where Staples is today). Safeway closed because they opened a larger store at Pan Am Shopping Center. Giant closed due to POOR BUSINESS and this was in the early 70's when times were better in that neighborhood. Giant rarely closed stores unless sales were exceptionally bad, plus there was a Super Giant up the road that had a larger selection. I don't know why Harris Teeter would want to come back to that area. They tore down another old former Safeway (later Pflatzgraff Factory Outlet) on Main Street to build a new store that failed several years ago. No smart national grocer would go there if they do their research. In theory it looks like a killer location, but with the obstacle of the 'circle' - a large chain will not be able to do workable profit. Oh well, let them learn and history will repeat itself.

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: July 27, 2012 08:25PM

1) the Population of the area has at least doubled since the 70's so there are actually more potential customers now.

2)Aside from the vienna metro redevelopment, the plan includes multi-family unit buldings.

Yeah Harris teeter isn't working out in this area because they are not competitive on on price but they do build out nice stores.

Posted by: iufgj ()
Date: August 01, 2012 08:00AM

"Yeah Harris teeter isn't working out in this area because they are not competitive on on price but they do build out nice stores"

they should stick with one story buildings. i like the items they carry not available elsewhere but the prices are on the high side

Posted by: res ()
Date: August 01, 2012 12:10PM

I hope they cram a couple banks and drug stores in that new plan. We need those!

Nice plan though, will f-up Performance bike and HTO for a year though.

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: August 01, 2012 01:44PM

Than banks must be building branches anywhere in everywhere because there is some loophole that allows RE values to be included in reserve ratios or something.

10 years ago with the internet well underway i thought bank branches would be closing down left and right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2012 01:45PM by Hay Zeus.

Date: April 20, 2013 02:59AM

What's the latest on this much needed redevelopment?

Posted by: SideShow Bob ()
Date: May 02, 2013 05:13PM

I wasn't able to find much new content in Google searches, so I emailed the City of Fairfax Community Development & Planning about the Circle Plaza Redevelopment and they indicated there would be more meetings this summer:

As you had mentioned, the City has received an application for the complete redevelopment of the Fairfax Circle Plaza (the shopping center containing Staples, Hudson Trail Outfitters, etc.). The owners of the shopping center are proposing to demolish the existing building and replace it with a 6-story building containing approximately 100,000 sq. ft. of retail space plus 400 rental apartments and a structured parking garage.

In order to be built as proposed, the project will need approval from Fairfax City Council, as well as from Fairfax County (because a portion of the property lies outside of City limits) and from VDOT. Within the City, the project will be reviewed at public hearings in front of the Planning Commission as well as City Council, likely in mid-summer.

Date: May 02, 2013 07:08PM

The city needs to consider the needs of the city residents (whether drivers, pedestrians or bikers) prior to the needs of commuters or tourists. This development MUST be friendly to drivers, pedestrians and bikers. Think bike lanes, bike stands and wide sidewalks in order to be a good project.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
WTh9b
This forum powered by Phorum.