HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
PSU Football sanctions, what will local players do?
Posted by: footballfan ()
Date: July 23, 2012 11:57AM

Now that the NCAA has basically destroyed the Penn State football program. What will the local kids do? I think there are a couple of kids from LB there now. Will they transfer or stick it out.

They can transfer with no waiting period OR they can keep their scholarship and NOT play football. Either way if they do decide to stay and play they will not have any opportunity to play for a Big Ten or National Championship or even play in a Bowl game.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PSU Football sanctions, what will local players do?
Posted by: Sharkbait ()
Date: July 23, 2012 12:08PM

Big 10 win NC ha ha ha hee hee ho ha haaa ha ha ha. Yeah right. They aren't even close to that. Oh gosh that was a good one.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: July 23, 2012 12:20PM

The NCAA didn't destroy the program, Penn State administration and leadership destroyed the Penn State football program. What the NCAA did was a reaction, not the cause.

Posted by: FCPS EDUK8TR ()
Date: July 23, 2012 01:30PM

I don't get it. Not to in any way, shape or form to minimize the horrible actions and cover up, etc, but what did the football program and players have to do with the actions of a few people? The sanctions are more suited for recruitment violations. The PSU football players had nothing to do with it and are being punished for the actions of a sick coach and another coach who was an egomaniac. Not fair!

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: July 23, 2012 01:35PM

Let the decommitting begin!

Posted by: blanche ()
Date: July 23, 2012 01:48PM

It seems to have worked out nicely for Bobby Bowden though.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: July 23, 2012 02:04PM

One group of players that this immediately benefits are those who were there essentially to fill out the roster with no likelihood or interest in going pro. The NCAA sanctions allow them to leave the football team, but stay at PSU on full scholarship which seems like a pretty sweet deal. No more worrying about balancing studying and classroom time with practices, travel and games.

While D-I/FBS teams have 85 scholarship players, the reality is that only a handful are ever going to make it to the next level. I think that it would be great to be able to focus full-time on getting a degree and enjoying the total college experience without worrying about how to pay for it.

Posted by: Random Dude ()
Date: July 23, 2012 02:05PM

FCPS EDUK8TR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't get it. Not to in any way, shape or form
> to minimize the horrible actions and cover up,
> etc, but what did the football program and players
> have to do with the actions of a few people? The
> sanctions are more suited for recruitment
> violations. The PSU football players had nothing
> to do with it and are being punished for the
> actions of a sick coach and another coach who was
> an egomaniac. Not fair!

This is easily one of the most (if not THE most) egregious examples of "lack of institutional control" in the NCAA's history. It may be the "actions of a few people" but when those few people include the head football coach, president and other higher-ups sweeping child rape under the rug then you take whatever the NCAA gives you, even if that means making your football team uncompetitive until 2020 at the earliest.

As far as the players are concerned - they are free to transfer with no penalty, or they can stay at PSU and their scholarships will be honored until they graduate - best the players could have hoped for under the circumstances.

Posted by: Couldn't Hack The Combine ()
Date: July 24, 2012 07:34PM

I'm curious, I never played college level sports. As tight as a college team would be, did people ( I'm reffering to prospective Football Players ) hear anything in the way of rumors that would be loud enough to warrent staying away from the team ? I understand that this just last year hit main stream media , but would players have have started hearing about this long ago ? Either way it seems like this was covered up all the way to the top. You feel bad for the innocent people impacted by this but the important thing is to go after those that permitted it to happen. They sent a strong message. Hope it sticks.

Posted by: PSU alum ()
Date: July 24, 2012 08:49PM

Yes, there have been rumors for years....

Posted by: Randy Edsall ()
Date: July 26, 2012 05:48AM

Back in the days of yore Maryland use to play Penn State quite a bit. Always coming out on the short end of the stick I believe. Maryland needs to revive the old rivalry. Maryland might actually win.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland_%E2%80%93_Penn_State_football_rivalry

kids: learn yr lesson from all this
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: July 26, 2012 06:59AM

I'm glad Penn State has so focused on letting victims of sexual assault know that yes, there are things more important than rape in life..................

@randy - I'm sure the Terps could do better for themselves than digging thru their trash can for something.........
@PSU alum - same as with the Catholic Church - the parallels are AMAZING to me about all this.

@couldnt - dunno about all that "innocent" stuff. I'll flip this to something local: Falls Church ex-councilman. His kids are COMPLETELY INNOCENT of anything in all that crap - yet you dont think they suffer? Anytime a criminal does a crime, innocents suffer. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF PPL PUTTING THE BLAME ON NCAA AND BIG 10 INSTEAD OF ON JERRY FUCKING SANDUSKY AND PENN STATE HEADS WHERE THE BLAME BELONGS!!!!!

Blaming NCAA and Big10 for any of this shit is like sitting in traffic on 9/12/2001 blaming the Govt for traffic cause of all the security.........

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.