HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What remedies are available to a tenant in FFX?
Posted by: W0ndering ()
Date: July 22, 2012 11:49PM

What options are available to a tenant if the landlord does something to make her move. As in, leave a ladder up the side of her windows for days and someone climb up and saw her in the shower.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What remedies are available to a tenant in FFX?
Posted by: Ito ()
Date: July 23, 2012 12:18AM

If this happened, call the cops (non-911 number please). This is not cool.

Posted by: Grassy Knoll ()
Date: July 23, 2012 02:13AM

I have to agree Call the Police, that is crossing the line.

Posted by: Peeps ()
Date: July 23, 2012 09:05AM

File a complaint with the Police.

Go to the Fairfax County website and search for Tenant Landlord Relations. File a complaint with them too. www.fairfaxcounty.gov

Date: July 23, 2012 11:30AM

Thanks. Will call the cops.

Posted by: Nuke "Em ()
Date: July 23, 2012 11:50AM

Publish the name of the landlord so that he loses business.

Posted by: Crunch Berries ()
Date: July 23, 2012 12:10PM

Depends on how hot she is.

Posted by: Chocula ()
Date: July 23, 2012 12:14PM

^ And we need pictures submitted in order to independently determine that.

Posted by: Landlord ()
Date: July 23, 2012 01:20PM

Are you kidding me? Your landlord did not do "something to make her move". Your landlord [may have] accidentally left a ladder leaning against the side of the house. Are you blind? Didn't you see it? Did you notify the landlord that you felt this was dangerous? Did it ever occur to you that you could actually move the ladder yourself? Did you call the police when this happened? No.

Landlords are not responsible for peeping Toms. And there were any number of steps you could have taken to prevent this incident (see above).

So now in addition to breaking your lease you probably want financial compensation from the landlord. Good luck with that. You'll be lucky if your landlord doesn't take you to court for breaking the lease.

You sound like the type of person that "bad things happen to". You never have any responsibility for or control over the bad things, and you want the rest of the world to pay for your "suffering". This is the reason I scrupulously check out my tenants, including calling former landlords.

Posted by: Get Off Your Butt ()
Date: July 23, 2012 01:36PM

If someone actually did look in, call the cops. Get off your butt and do it.

But you say the landlord did something to make you move. And what would that be? Fixing something on the outside of the building? And do you know it's even the landlord, and maybe not a contractor? But that's not "making you move." That's giving you a weak excuse to move. Get off your butt and read your lease.

And you say the ladder was up there for days. Did you get off your butt and call the landlord and say, "Hey, there's a ladder up on the side of the building"? Did you get off your butt and lower the ladder, or knock it down?

And when you're taking a shower, do you think to close your drapes or blinds? Next time, get off your butt and at least pull the drapes if you're going to be walking around naked.

Date: July 23, 2012 03:26PM

"And when you're taking a shower, do you think to close your drapes or blinds?"
Blinds were closed. How else would know that someone looked in? Because the blinds were pulled aside and the Windows were opened from outside. There was a plastic seal from the inside while construction was going on.

"This is the reason I scrupulously check out my tenants, including calling former landlords"

So It's the woman's fault.

Posted by: mJJJH ()
Date: July 23, 2012 03:35PM

@Landlord "Did you call the police when this happened? No."

Don't be an idiot. Did it occur to you that the lady might actually be ashamed of the incident and not want to call the police? In other words, why think she is out to get the landlord just because she is the victim.

Date: July 23, 2012 04:24PM

W0ndering Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "And when you're taking a shower, do you think to
> close your drapes or blinds?"
> Blinds were closed. How else would know that
> someone looked in? Because the blinds were pulled
> aside and the Windows were opened from outside.
> There was a plastic seal from the inside while
> construction was going on.

I read this several times and I still have no idea what you're saying. But clearly there was construction going on at the house. Probably from the aftermath of the derecho, or perhaps the landlord was just improving the place. Clearly, the landlord was taking care of business. I bet the landlord didn't even know that there was a ladder left propped against the house. It certainly doesn't seem like you brought it to his attention.

> "This is the reason I scrupulously check out my
> tenants, including calling former landlords"
>
> So It's the woman's fault.

I don't think it's anybodys fault - except the pervert who looked in the window. And I say this as a very security conscious woman. For example, on one tenant occupied property I have a metal security door, exterior security lights, a metal crossbar on the sliding glass door, internal noise sensors, etc. This is in Fairfax, not DC. When I had property in DC, there were bars on the windows - which, by the way, thieves somehow pryed off to rob the place.

I check out tenants to see if red flags go off. If I hear that a tenant has broken a lease, that's a red flag. Just because you may think you have a good reason, doesn't mean that you have any legal standing.

Why does everything in this country have to be somebody else's fault?

Date: July 23, 2012 04:33PM

mJJJH Wrote:
> @Landlord "Did you call the police when this
> happened? No."
>
> Don't be an idiot. Did it occur to you that the
> lady might actually be ashamed of the incident and
> not want to call the police? In other words, why
> think she is out to get the landlord just because
> she is the victim.

No, it didn't occur to me - because I don't think that's what is happening. As a woman, if I saw a peeping Tom outside my window I would IMMEDIATELY call the police. Why in the world would a woman "be ashamed of the incident"? This is not the 1950s.

Did it occur to you that tenants use these kinds of pretexts all the time to get out of leases? "I had to get out because there was a massive roach infestion." (translation: "I want to move in with my boyfriend.")

I don't know if she is "out to get the landlord". But if there is a buck to had, some tenants will try find it.

Posted by: Detective Columbo ()
Date: July 23, 2012 09:54PM

W0ndering Wrote:
> "And when you're taking a shower, do you think to
> close your drapes or blinds?"
> Blinds were closed. How else would know that
> someone looked in? Because the blinds were pulled
> aside and the Windows were opened from outside.
> There was a plastic seal from the inside while
> construction was going on.
>
>
> "This is the reason I scrupulously check out my
> tenants, including calling former landlords"
>
> So It's the woman's fault.

Huh? You know someone looked in and saw you in the shower because the blinds were closed? Or then because they were pulled aside. Well, you're saying they "saw her in the shower." Seems to Detective Columbo here that if someone pulled the blinds aside and saw her, then she'd have seen them. Vision and sight kind of goes both ways. They see her; she sees them.

I have no idea what that plastic seal crap means.

Ol' Columbo here also believes in checking out prospective tenants. And breaking a lease because the blinds have been moved (probably by repairmen doing their job) would get a big fat "REJECTED" stamp from me. Has Peeped Beauty even checked with her landlord to find out what was going on? No, I didn't think so.

Posted by: Whut? ()
Date: July 23, 2012 10:09PM

Op, did somoene saw you in the shower? lol.. Pay your rent and take some english 101 classes

Posted by: Sen. John Blutarsky ()
Date: July 23, 2012 11:33PM

Landlord
Attachments:
ladder2.jpg

Posted by: truth man ()
Date: July 23, 2012 11:35PM

Crunch Berries Wrote:
> Depends on how hot she is.

as does everything in life

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.