HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Any good computer repair shops in fairfax
Posted by: Computer problems ()
Date: July 22, 2012 06:17PM

Is there any good computer repair places in the area? I don't want to send it to geek squad so they can overprice for it

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any good computer repair shops in fairfax
Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: July 22, 2012 06:32PM

Type of computer? Is it under warrantee? Brief description of symptoms? The degree of the problem may affect the answer. If you want a large name then go to Best Buy, I assume Microcenter still does repairs. Yes it will cost money, just like having someone fix a problem with your car that you can't handle. If someone will charge too much to be worth it, then don't get it fixed.

I don't know how things are now, but when PCs were $1k to buy for a new setup there were small repair shops all over the place. Now that a PC or laptop is $500 or less for something that satisfies needs for 90% of users, no one wants to pay $200-$500 for a repair (labor hours plus cost of new hardware). So the small guys had to go away.

Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: July 22, 2012 06:49PM

Your mom's basement?

Posted by: meh ()
Date: July 22, 2012 06:53PM

there is so little you can do to "repair" a computer?

virus? back up data and reformat.

damaged component? replace it or get a new computer

i dont get how any repair shops are in business at all, it's amazing how fucking shitty people are with computers considering how ubiquitous they are.

Posted by: 2concerned ()
Date: July 22, 2012 07:36PM

There's two shops in my area that I know of, but I don't know the name of either.

- Duke Street, near Hadeed Carpet (not far from Quaker Ln.)

- Beacon Hill, next to the 7-11 that's across Rt. 1 from Lowe's

Posted by: ABC ()
Date: July 22, 2012 08:22PM

I'm also looking for a repair shop. I need someone to spend the time to help me get a RAID-5 array back up and running. The array is fine, but the motherboard died and I was using an on-board RAID controller. I found the same motherboard and bought it, but I've been having a crazy time getting Windows up and running (it's not recognizing any drives).

I emailed a couple places, with one giving me an astronomical quote and the other saying they don't deal with RAID. Microcenter failed miserably at helping me, and I can't recommend anyone going there for problems beyond super basic stuff.

Posted by: 2 cents ()
Date: July 22, 2012 08:34PM

There is (or at least was the last time I checked) a place at James Swart Circle called (I'm not making this up) The Computer Place - (703) 246-9188. This is the complex in Fairfax where Circuit City used to be, and Burlington Coat Factory currently is (off Waples Mill, I think).

The repair guy knows what he's doing, and the turnaround is pretty quick. Plus the prices are more than fair. I've been there several times and have been pleased with their performance. I believe they will also custom build a system to your specifications.

Hope that helps.

Posted by: I know a 0 or 1 about computers ()
Date: July 22, 2012 09:26PM

2concerned Wrote:
--
> - Duke Street, near Hadeed Carpet (not far from
> Quaker Ln.)
>
> - Beacon Hill, next to the 7-11 that's across Rt.
> 1 from Lowe's

Duke St. is 25/8 they're okay from what I hear (no personal experience)
Beacon Hill is a shithole, don't bother with them. I went in there once to look around & it's just 2-3 Arabs on cell phones not giving a shit about anything (you'd find better help at the 7-11 honestly).

Posted by: I know a 0 or 1 about computers ()
Date: July 22, 2012 09:30PM

2 cents Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is (or at least was the last time I checked)
> a place at James Swart Circle called (I'm not
> making this up) The Computer Place - (703)
> 246-9188. This is the complex in Fairfax where
> Circuit City used to be, and Burlington Coat
> Factory currently is (off Waples Mill, I think).
>
>
> The repair guy knows what he's doing, and the
> turnaround is pretty quick. Plus the prices are
> more than fair. I've been there several times and
> have been pleased with their performance. I
> believe they will also custom build a system to
> your specifications.
>
> Hope that helps.

Closed. Like two years ago. The shopping center priced him right the fuck out. I talked with one of the guys in there for a while the last week he was open (he was selling everything he could at clearance prices). Said the center owners had jacked up his lease like 300% or something ridiculous like that. They still hadn't filled Circuit City's spot at that time.

Anyway he had a shop in MD someplace, I want to say Gaithersburg but I honestly don't remember. He said they were keeping that shop open.

OP you might do best to post on Craigslist for a gig or browse around for somebody advertising computer repair. Angie's List maybe. There is a shop called Pro-Computer on Little River Turnpike (236) between Annandale & Braddock Rd. that I think might be okay - they've been in business for a long time anyway. I wouldn't go to Microcenter unless you want to pay big money for questionable work. I've known a couple of guys who worked there & they actively discourage the techs from learning too much b/c they wind up leaving.

I work in IT and applied for a seasonal job there (was looking to pick up some extra cash around T'Giving & Xmas) and they flat-out told me no way, you are way overqualified. They just want people who can learn to sell their bullshit warranties and accessories and not guys who actually understand the tech.

Posted by: guy ()
Date: July 22, 2012 09:36PM

1. Go to Annandale
2. Ask any asian
3. ???
4. Profit

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: July 22, 2012 10:04PM

I had a mobo problem a few years ago, and Austin Tech (http://www.austintech2000.com/) were interested in helping, where The Computer Store wasn't. Not knocking The Computer Store -- but I knew enough to have replaced the mobo myself, and still had intermittent problems. Turned out to be an intermittent ground fault from the mobo to the case. Anyway, I'd give 'em a try.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: July 22, 2012 11:13PM

Highly recommend Cedar PC (http://www.cedarpc.com/) with locations in Vienna and Chantilly. Reasonable prices and quick turnaround. They also sell refurbished equipment.

Posted by: lolyer ()
Date: July 23, 2012 12:53PM

Any educated search on Google can surely bring about answers to most computer issues..

Im surprised that computer shops are still open; with the knowledge and information on most computer forums out there, many issues from rebuilding a RAID array to PSU issues and other problems could be troubleshooted via message board...

Posted by: Advanced 2000 ()
Date: July 23, 2012 12:57PM

http://www.advanced2000.com/index.asp

Pickett street alexandria

Posted by: Bobby Collingsworth ()
Date: July 23, 2012 01:01PM

Advanced 2000 in Alexandria near right off Van Dorn on Pickett. They repair computers and sell new ones and parts to build for very very competitive pricing. I've been going there since the mid 1990's. Their prices rival Microcenter.

Date: July 23, 2012 04:26PM

Hehe... just came back to post about "Advanced 2000". I didn't realize they were still around, but I went by there on my way to Capital Electric this morning.

ABC: "I need someone to spend the time to help me get a RAID-5 array back up and running."

Good luck with that. If you're loading your OS onto your RAID drives, you'll need to hit F5 at the right time, and supply a disk (this may not be the case anymore, but I know that older versions REQUIRED it be on a floppy, for some sick reason).

The safest idea is probably to:

1) remove RAID card
2) install OS (on non-RAID drive)
3) reinsert RAID card and install the drivers

PM me if you have any questions I might be able to help with. I have more than a bit of experience with Adaptec and 3ware.

Posted by: stephen ()
Date: July 23, 2012 04:27PM

Advanced 2000 is where i bought my last 2 computers.

Posted by: Que? ()
Date: July 23, 2012 09:36PM

What the hell kind of solution is that? It sounds like he has existing data on an array that he's trying to access after board failed. Your solution achieves that end, how?

In fact, every post I've seen from you makes me think you may be borderline retarded.

ABC - to the guy with the RAID issue...if you're still have problems and are willing to pay for what you want done, reply with contact info. I can't promise it will be cheap, but I will get it done right.

Posted by: Que? ()
Date: July 23, 2012 09:40PM

Oh...F5? You sure about that smart guy?

Must be true, as you have "more than a bit of experience..."

Posted by: anobody ()
Date: July 24, 2012 11:54PM

Microcenter

Date: July 25, 2012 01:48AM

Que: too idiotic to respond to.

anobody: "Microcenter"

Not advised. A friend of mine left his (still under warranty) computer there for repair, and when he went to pick it up, they gave him someone else's.

They wouldn't be any cheaper than a small shop, and they're more likely to have unqualified people doing the "repairs". I'd recommend a place that would actually appreciate your business... a store that charges 15% for a return does not, IMHO, fit that description.

Date: July 25, 2012 01:59AM

Ooops... in his own non-productive way, Que did point out a mistake.

It's "F6", not "F5". It's been a few years since I had to go that route, so please overlook my horrible incorrectness.

But yeah, if you think that Que the guy who's going to get things done right, then by all means, pay him the big bucks. If nothing else, you'll get first rate entertainment from an ass of the highest caliber.

BTW, dumbass, it's spelled "queue".
Attachments:
press-f6-install-raid-driver.png

Date: July 25, 2012 02:09AM

Okay... couldn't let this go, after all...

"What the hell kind of solution is that? It sounds like he has existing data on an array that he's trying to access after board failed. Your solution achieves that end, how?"

If you do not understand that, you have no business pretending that you know WTF you're talking about.

And regarding the spelling of "queue", don't be upset -- non-technical people make that mistake ALL the time.

And yes, I'm clearly "borderline retarded"... I just got lucky filling in circles, and that's why I'm in Mensa, and you're stuck trying to redefine the word "intelligence".

I'm sure you think that most of the world is "borderline retarded", but just because you don't understand something doesn't mean that the mistake lies with the other party.

If you need a clue, I hear they're for sale on the internet. Try Google.

Date: July 25, 2012 02:13AM

"and are willing to pay for what you want done, reply with contact info"

Yeah, he can't be PM'd because he's too ignorant to register an account, so he'd like you to publish your info here.

Yeah, this guy is BRILLIANT....

Posted by: IT Guy ()
Date: July 25, 2012 04:57AM

ABC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm also looking for a repair shop. I need someone
> to spend the time to help me get a RAID-5 array
> back up and running. The array is fine, but the
> motherboard died and I was using an on-board RAID
> controller. I found the same motherboard and
> bought it, but I've been having a crazy time
> getting Windows up and running (it's not
> recognizing any drives).
>
> I emailed a couple places, with one giving me an
> astronomical quote and the other saying they don't
> deal with RAID. Microcenter failed miserably at
> helping me, and I can't recommend anyone going
> there for problems beyond super basic stuff.

You might try Geekpolice.net

Posted by: ABC ()
Date: July 25, 2012 07:23PM

As usual with this place, I love the responses. Thanks to those of you who posted places to try; I reached out all of them and am now waiting for responses. For the others, thanks for making me re-love the Internet on every post.

Date: July 25, 2012 08:39PM

I'm just trying to fit in... I've gotten pretty good at bringing myself down to the least-common denominator recently. Thankfully, I haven't developed the habit outside of this particular forum.

BTW, I HAD initially missed the "onboard" part of your description. While the card can't be "removed", it should be possible to disable it in BIOS. My suggestion about not bringing the RAID in until the last step might be "paranoid", but it's the most certain way to be sure that Windows isn't going to screw something up during installation, including perhaps loading the wrong driver.

If you HAVE to install the OS on the RAID drive, that's obviously not an option, and I'm not really sure what your requirements are... for performance reasons, my server at home runs the OS from a SSD drive, and I do an incremental backup of it twice a week. All of the other drives in the server are running off of 16 port 3ware cards.

The difficulty in finding compatible replacement hardware is a key reason I wouldn't recommend going with an on-board solution. Depending on how many channels you need, RAID cards really are cheap, these days, and the more you put on a motherboard, the more likely it is that one of those components is going to take down the system.

Unfortunately, you're really unlikely to find a RAID expert working at any of these places... my guess is that you'll know more about the system after 15 minutes with the manual than the majority of these guys will. You generally don't see a lot of RAID setups outside of business servers, and that's not where these places get the vast bulk of their business.

Best of luck to you. Again, let me know if you have any questions that a "borderline retard" might be able to help with.

Date: July 25, 2012 08:48PM

Oops - I fell a penny short of my "two cents", I guess....

Another reason I suggest adding the RAID at the end is that you'll probably be doing a lot of rebooting before the system is installed and stable.

You DO NOT want the RAID card to start a "rebuild" while you're doing this.

Plus, disconnecting at least the power to the drives now will prevent them from spinning up however many times... until you're reinstalled, and have access to your data again, I would assume that your data is "in danger". Again, my approach is paranoid, but I suppose paranoia is the reason why I'm running RAID 6, too.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.