HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Local Fishing Spots (Anglers please look)
Posted by: Kip Moore ()
Date: July 21, 2012 06:07PM

HEY FELLOW ANGLERS! So I love fishing but I don't love going to the main Reston lakes (newport, anne, etc) because they're too crowded and I feel as people don't practice catch and release therefore the fish are being taken out quicker than they are repopulating. I've looked up some smaller lakes that aren't as crowded (so hopefully more fish in the lake)

Has anyone had success/know of the fish contained in Cameron Pond (in reston) or the lake near market street in reston? How about lake alder in ashburn (I know it's not fairfax county) or Tippecanoe Lake in ashburn?

Look, im just looking for my "go to" peaceful fishing spot where I can find some bass and maybe some other varieties. I dont like popular lakes because people don't catch and release there. I live in reston and wouldn't mind 20 min of driving to my "go to" spot. If anyone has some recommendations I would be very great full.

Thanks my fellow ffx underground anglers!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Local Fishing Spots (Anglers please look)
Posted by: cabela ()
Date: July 21, 2012 06:17PM

Riverbend is best. Just have to go a bit upriver to get away from the idiots. I have hooked some large bass but I release them.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/riverbend/riverinfo.htm

Posted by: Wader ()
Date: July 22, 2012 12:29AM

Not sure if you are looking strictly for lakes and ponds, but I've been wet wading Bull Run once or twice a week recently. Admittedly, I haven't caught a heck of a lot, but I am just starting out with a fly rod and have quite a bit to learn.

It is quiet(once you are a few hundred yards away from 28) and I haven't run into any other people fishing between 10am - 1pm. Quite a bit of garbage on the banks in places, but that is the only real complaint. There is access where 28 crosses Bull Run and I understand if you are willing to hike a bit you can access a pretty nice spot from Hemlock.

Posted by: Taddy ()
Date: July 22, 2012 02:21AM

fishing is boring.

Posted by: Rute Boye ()
Date: July 22, 2012 09:58AM

Here's a very good place to find local fishing information. Click on the "fishing report" tab. The report is usually updated weekly, but is a little behind this week.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeqbewt/index.html

Posted by: Bruin ()
Date: July 22, 2012 07:29PM

Hey Kip Moore-

Notwithstanding what Taddy said, the upper Potomac River has literally all kinds of fish for you. If you pick your spots, it can be waded or fished with a small johnboat/canoe/kayak, or off the bank...go get 'em!

Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: July 22, 2012 07:38PM

Only problem with the Potomac is eating "that." Great fishing places, but mass bass having babies, um, I don't want to lose a nut.

Posted by: FD11 ()
Date: July 23, 2012 05:34PM

You don't fish in the Potomac to eat the fish. You fish in the Potomac for the sport of fishing. You'd be crazy to eat the fish from here. I'm 35 and I've been fishing the DC area since I was 12. I would only eat fish from the Potomac was a very - very - last resort.

Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: July 23, 2012 05:49PM

FD11 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You don't fish in the Potomac to eat the fish.
> You fish in the Potomac for the sport of fishing.
> You'd be crazy to eat the fish from here. I'm 35
> and I've been fishing the DC area since I was 12.
> I would only eat fish from the Potomac was a very
> - very - last resort.

Tis a shame. Those Virginia Dept of Health signs are hilarious. Yet you are right, there are some monster catfish in there, especially along the GW Pkwy

Posted by: KDI ()
Date: July 23, 2012 08:41PM

FD11 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You don't fish in the Potomac to eat the fish.
> You fish in the Potomac for the sport of fishing.
> You'd be crazy to eat the fish from here. I'm 35
> and I've been fishing the DC area since I was 12.
> I would only eat fish from the Potomac was a very
> - very - last resort.

Question: If you won't eat fish from the Potomac why would
you eat anything from the Chesapeake Bay? Several polluted
rivers empty into the Bay so wouldn't the fish from there be
just as bad?

Posted by: HAWGFATHER ()
Date: July 23, 2012 09:42PM

In Chantilly there is a little pond by the target and Costco , in the parking lot. I've caught some good bass outta there , and never seen anyone else around. Very quiet, and you WILL catch something.

Posted by: fishersofmen ()
Date: July 24, 2012 11:51PM

Lake Fairfax

Posted by: notafisher ()
Date: July 25, 2012 12:36AM

My friend and I used to fish by the mouth of the one of the Reston lakes, we could literally catch a fish a minute. Given we were just dropping line, hook, and bread into a school of fish, and they were no bigger than 6 inches. Still a heck of a lot of fun :D . I also caught my first fish from a cast near that spot at 6 years old.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.