HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
RIP Sandy Stuban
Posted by: Steven ()
Date: July 17, 2012 10:45AM

She was a white rich LADY.,

A local woman who sought to help others with Lou Gehrig's Disease died last week.

Sandy Stuban, 55, wife to Steve and mother to the late Nick, passed at her home on Thursday.

She served as a U.S. Army Nurse Corps Officer from 1981 until 1995, during which time she earned awards, filled assignments and tours, and made early promotion to Lieutenant Colonel. Stuban retired when she was diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's).

The Fairfax resident then went public in her struggle with the disease, writing an "Advice from the Trenches" column for veterans with ALS and an autobiography called "The Butcher's Daughter: The Story of an Army Nurse with ALS." She also lobbied alongside American Legion for support for disabled veterans.

The Stubans made headlines last year when their 15-year-old son committed suicide, sparking a debate over the county school system's disciplinary process and starting the school board on a road toward reform. Sandy's husband Steve Stuban ran an unsuccessful bid for Fairfax County School Board last fall.

She will be buried Monday at 2 p.m. at the Arlington National Cemetery next to her son.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RIP Sandy Stuban
Posted by: BEH ()
Date: July 17, 2012 10:51AM

Isn't it a crazy coincidence that Lou Gehrig himself died from Lou Gehrig's disease?

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: July 17, 2012 11:06AM

Steven Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> She will be buried Monday at 2 p.m. at the
> Arlington National Cemetery next to her son.

Interesting that Nick is already buried at Arlington. I found the following on their website which seems like the relevant section regarding who can be buried at Arlington, but I always thought that "adult child" was over the age of 18.

"(2) An unmarried adult child may be interred in the same grave in which the parent has been or will be interred, provided that child was incapable of self-support up to the time of death because of physical or mental condition. At the time of death of an adult child, a request for interment will be submitted to the Superintendent of Arlington National Cemetery. The request must be accompanied by a notarized statement from an individual who has direct knowledge as to the marital status, degree of dependency of the deceased child, the name of that child's parent, and the military service upon which the burial is being requested. A certificate of a physician who has attended the decedent as to the nature and duration of the physical and/or mental disability must also accompany the request for interment."

Posted by: hum ()
Date: July 17, 2012 11:27AM

@BEH

Stfu man, this is a post about a lady passing and u come out with some stupid shit. have some respect and decency, somthing the fucktards who frequent this website fail to exhibit. As for the deceased, even though she was rich she used her money to help others. Honorable thing to do when everyone today penny pinches. RIP.

Posted by: RIP Sandy Stuban ()
Date: July 17, 2012 11:50AM

Attachments:
rest_in_peace_quotes_1274695483.jpg

Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: July 17, 2012 04:11PM

This is a woman, who has suffered beyond and then some. Now she is with our loving God, please respect her family, as her husband and other children and relatives have already had so many burdens. Thank you.

Posted by: EmanRuoy ()
Date: July 17, 2012 04:34PM

@ Lester Burnham... You have the right general paragraph (g), but the wrong reason. As LTC Stuban's son Nick was only 15 at the time of his death, he was eligible for interment with his mother at Arlington as a "minor Child", not as an "unmarried adult child".

Posted by: yeah ()
Date: July 17, 2012 05:08PM

And my father,who went ashore at Utah Beach on D-Day, was not eligible to be buried at Arlington. Why? Because when the war was over, he retured to civilian life.

Yet these lifers, most of whom never got anywhere near combat, and their druggie kids are allowed burial at Arlington? Something very wrong with this picture!

Posted by: WTF!?! ()
Date: July 17, 2012 05:11PM

yeah Wrote:
> And my father,who went ashore at Utah Beach on
> D-Day, was not eligible to be buried at Arlington.
> Why? Because when the war was over, he retured
> to civilian life.
>
> Yet these lifers, most of whom never got anywhere
> near combat, and their druggie kids are allowed
> burial at Arlington? Something very wrong with
> this picture!

That's not ture. If he was a Vet, he was eligible to be buried at Arlington. The VA would have taken care of that. Of course, the Vet has the option of not being buried there too. Are you sure he was turned down?

Posted by: heart please ()
Date: July 17, 2012 05:18PM

If you have never served in the military, had a terminal disease, and lost your only child in a very painful way, do not judge. This woman no doubt saved many lives in her role as a nurse. She has given plenty to this country and to her family. May her husband find peace. He needs all the support this country can give him. None of us has a right to judge. All of us need to extend sympathy.

Date: July 17, 2012 05:33PM

yeah Wrote:
> And my father,who went ashore at Utah Beach on
> D-Day, was not eligible to be buried at Arlington.
> Why? Because when the war was over, he retured
> to civilian life.
>
> Yet these lifers, most of whom never got anywhere
> near combat, and their druggie kids are allowed
> burial at Arlington? Something very wrong with
> this picture!

And many of our family, the same. Yet I do not have the right to judge a man, who right now, has just buried not only his son but his wife, in the span of two years. If anything, we should be supportive at this time of sadness, or withhold making comments that could be considered negative at a time of the worst a person should ever have to go through. God bless Mr. Stuban, Sir, you are supported by this man and many others.

Date: July 17, 2012 07:51PM

WTF!?! Wrote:
> yeah Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And my father,who went ashore at Utah Beach on
> > D-Day, was not eligible to be buried at
> Arlington.
> > Why? Because when the war was over, he
> retured
> > to civilian life.
> >
> > Yet these lifers, most of whom never got
> anywhere
> > near combat, and their druggie kids are allowed
> > burial at Arlington? Something very wrong with
> > this picture!
>
> That's not ture. If he was a Vet, he was eligible
> to be buried at Arlington. The VA would have taken
> care of that. Of course, the Vet has the option of
> not being buried there too. Are you sure he was
> turned down?

Of course I'm sure. The best they would do is Quantico.

He died in 2007 so he was subject to "modern rules" that only allow real heroes at Arlington, ie. career lifers with a good golf handicap (officers), and now apparently their druggie kids.

Posted by: abuse of school authority ()
Date: July 17, 2012 08:26PM

The Maryland Board of Education asked for a review of policies in the state's 24 school systems, expressing concern about any existing "zero tolerance" practices and a need for support services for suspended students.

"I want to get some assurance that this never happens in our districts," said Kate Walsh, a member of Maryland's State Board of Education who became concerned about the issue after reading an article in Sunday's Washington Post about Nick Stuban, 15, of Fairfax County. "Every aspect of what happened to that boy in Fairfax County is an abuse of school authority."

Posted by: Aei ()
Date: July 17, 2012 08:42PM

yeah Wrote:
> WTF!?! Wrote:
> -----
> > yeah Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > And my father,who went ashore at Utah Beach
> on
> > > D-Day, was not eligible to be buried at
> > Arlington.
> > > Why? Because when the war was over, he
> > retured
> > > to civilian life.
> > >
> > > Yet these lifers, most of whom never got
> > anywhere
> > > near combat, and their druggie kids are
> allowed
> > > burial at Arlington? Something very wrong
> with
> > > this picture!
> >
> > That's not ture. If he was a Vet, he was
> eligible
> > to be buried at Arlington. The VA would have
> taken
> > care of that. Of course, the Vet has the option
> of
> > not being buried there too. Are you sure he was
> > turned down?
>
> Of course I'm sure. The best they would do is
> Quantico.
>
> He died in 2007 so he was subject to "modern
> rules" that only allow real heroes at Arlington,
> ie. career lifers with a good golf handicap
> (officers), and now apparently their druggie kids.

That shouldn't be allowed Nick wasn't a hero I just wish they would removed him from there he was a druggie. he knew now to get high at school

for ppl who just tuned in.............
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: July 17, 2012 09:49PM

and yr wondering who "Nick" is an what the hubbub is about...................

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/19/AR2011021904528.html

Posted by: to AEI ()
Date: July 19, 2012 08:55AM

The problem is that Arlington is running out of space--and has been for many years. I'm sure it was not easy to determine who would be eligible to be buried there.

As for the "lifers", I cannot imagine that there are very many who have not seen time in combat. The "Cold War" group most likely served in Korea or Viet Nam. Some of them served in three wars: WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam. Those who have served in the last twenty years, have likely had MULTPLE deployments into combat areas--the Balkans,Gulf, Iraq, and Afghanistan--oh, and also, Africa. I think a lot of people forget that we have been involved in wars for quite some time.

As for Nick, he was a dependent child of a career Army nurse and a career officer. He didn't get his own plot--he will share it with his mom.

I am surprised that accomodations were not made to include all combat veterans--however, it is probably because there is just not enough space. The "Greatest Generation" is dying rapidly--and there were a LOT of them.

Posted by: ya think ()
Date: July 19, 2012 09:18AM

Maybe Stevie will now have the time to gather up his fucking campaign signs. I'm getting tired of looking at them.

Date: July 19, 2012 09:27AM

ya think Wrote:
> Maybe Stevie will now have the time to gather up
> his fucking campaign signs. I'm getting tired of
> looking at them.

Where are they? I'd be more than happy to pick them up.

Date: July 19, 2012 09:42AM

to AEI Wrote:
> Those who have served in the last twenty years,
> have likely had MULTPLE deployments into combat
> areas--the Balkans,Gulf, Iraq, and Afghanistan--oh,
> and also, Africa. I think a lot of people forget
> that we have been involved in wars for quite some time.

Oh yeah, killing poorly equipped groups of civilians and local warlords in their pickup trucks, that are trying to defend their villages/caves from U.S. invasion is the same as breaching Hitler's Atlantic Wall.

Yep, the Wehrmacht was a bunch of sissies compared to Arab and African tribesmen.

Posted by: <3 ()
Date: October 25, 2014 03:11AM

The Stuban family is one of the greatest families I have ever known. Reading some of these comments breaks my heart because they are just so untrue. The Stubans are wonderful people. Heroes come in many forms and to me, Nick and his family have been my heroes and inspiration and I am lucky to say I have had the chance to know them.

Posted by: 3jxp7 ()
Date: October 25, 2014 03:35AM

heart please Wrote:
> If you have never served in the military, had a
> terminal disease, and lost your only child in a
> very painful way, do not judge. This woman no
> doubt saved many lives in her role as a nurse.
> She has given plenty to this country and to her
> family. May her husband find peace. He needs all
> the support this country can give him. None of us
> has a right to judge. All of us need to extend
> sympathy.

+1 and she died a painful cruel way. ALS destroys your body yet leaves your mind mostly intact. It is a death you would not wish on anyone. I can't imagine how painful it was to have a child commit suicide while having ALS and wondering if your medical problems contributed in some his suicide and blaming yourself. This was a horrible situation and Mr Stuban finds peace.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.