HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
lawn mower repair
Posted by: lawn mower repair ()
Date: May 13, 2008 02:35PM

anyone reccomend a good lawn mower repair place in the burke/springfield/fairfax area? I knew there was one in annandale but I forget where it is, and I think it closed down. It was owned by koreans. All I need is a a new starter rope.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lawn mower repair
Posted by: Mike Sorce ()
Date: May 13, 2008 02:42PM

Brandell's on Pickett (near the skating rink and post office) is the only place that I know of. There used to be quite a few, but most have gone out of business. Burke Lawnmower was next to the fire station and then moved behind Kohl's, but that is long gone.

The downside of Brandell's is that they are pricey and not especially friendly towards homeowners - most of their business comes from landscapers.

I did, however, find this on Craigslist:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/lbs/673852983.html

Posted by: coffin ()
Date: May 13, 2008 06:59PM

lawn mower repair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> anyone reccomend a good lawn mower repair place in
> the burke/springfield/fairfax area? I knew there
> was one in annandale but I forget where it is, and
> I think it closed down. It was owned by koreans.
> All I need is a a new starter rope.

I remember that place in Annandale from the 60's! It was/is off Rt 236, between Ribster's and Steinhorst Plumbing. Kind of back off the road.

I think Ward's Workshop is still around...4711 Backlick Rd, Annandale. 703 256-2815. I've bought parts there, but never any work done.

Sheesh, who can't figure out how to fix a recoil starter!

Posted by: Tommy ()
Date: June 03, 2008 03:49PM

Appliance Fix It
703-820-1253
5800 Seminary Rd.
Bailey's Crossroads

Posted by: Homer ()
Date: June 03, 2008 03:52PM

If all you need is a starter rope check out the parts section at Home Depot. They probably have those and it would much cheaper than having it repaired.

Posted by: frank ()
Date: April 07, 2009 01:09PM

looking for a lawn mower repair shop in the burke, fairfax area. do you know of any?

Posted by: TomMadison ()
Date: April 07, 2009 02:53PM

frank Wrote:
> looking for a lawn mower repair shop in the burke,
> fairfax area. do you know of any?

See the post above regarding Brandell's on Pickett. There was a small repair shop next door to the Burke fire station, but that is long gone.

I found this on Craigslist: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/search/bbb/nva?query=mower+repair

Posted by: bill bobb ()
Date: April 12, 2009 11:19PM

the korean place in annandale is still there and they are cheaper than brandells.brandells is high dollar.

Posted by: fairfaxdude ()
Date: April 13, 2009 11:41AM

Just watch the movie Sling Blade and, at the appropriate time, freeze frame it. I'm sure you can learn what you need to know to fix it yourself.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: April 13, 2009 12:51PM

I know that was a joke, but in all seriousness, the retard in Slingblade does give some sage mower maintenance and repair tips. The number of times people don't have the mower primed, or even gas in the tank, is too frequent to count when they are seeking help.

Posted by: larry ()
Date: April 20, 2009 12:25PM

tHERE IS A GOOD LAWNMOWER REPAIR SHOP IN FALLS CHURCH, IT USE TO BE ALPHA LAWN AND GARDEN THEY ARE VERY FRIENDLY AND GOOD

Posted by: LARRY ()
Date: April 20, 2009 12:27PM

larry Wrote:
> tHERE IS A GOOD LAWNMOWER REPAIR SHOP IN FALLS
> CHURCH, IT USE TO BE ALPHA LAWN AND GARDEN THEY
> ARE VERY FRIENDLY AND GOOD THERE NAME IS CALIBER AND THERE NUMBER IS 691-2995

Posted by: oinjkbvjvh ()
Date: April 20, 2009 03:15PM

alpha closed last year, brendells are assholes, go to virginia outdoor power on lee highway

Posted by: TomMadison ()
Date: April 20, 2009 03:22PM

oinjkbvjvh Wrote:
> alpha closed last year, brendells are assholes, go
> to virginia outdoor power on lee highway

Brandell's (not brendells) was better under the old ownership, but it is just more convenient that VA Outdoor Power, especially if all that I need is the blade sharpened. I sharpen most tools myself, but the lawnmower blade needs to be balanced and I don't want to mess this up.

Posted by: oinjkbvjvh ()
Date: April 20, 2009 11:55PM

oh shit, i spelled brandells, god help me. I know a alot more about this area's lawn mower sevice, because ive worked in the shops for 5 years.

Posted by: Barb ()
Date: December 15, 2009 12:40PM

Go to CALIBER in FAIRFAX (old alpha employees). Good and Nice!

Posted by: gaye stone ()
Date: April 14, 2010 07:43AM

it is still there, still good. behind the trophy mart/the old h i ribsters

Posted by: SweetOldBill ()
Date: September 01, 2010 03:44PM

Hands down, the best I've found is CALIBER - new address 3115 Campbell Dr. Fairfax,a dead end street off Rte 50 just west of Fairfax Circle. 703-691-2995

They are friendly, prompt, reasonable, reliable, and capable. Have had a lawn vac and chipper/shredder tuned there, both in 2010. They also have a pick up, drop off option for an extra fee.

I agree avoid Brandells. I also suggest avoiding Sears repair shop in Springfield. I believe Wards, which used to be on Backlick, either is out of business or no longer does repair work.

Posted by: itchy ()
Date: September 01, 2010 06:36PM

Homer Wrote:
> If all you need is a starter rope check out the
> parts section at Home Depot. They probably have
> those and it would much cheaper than having it
> repaired.

Homer is right, if its just a pill chord look the part up online and fix it yourself quick and cheap. Save those extra $$$ for a new toy.

Date: September 14, 2010 12:16PM

Burke's Lawnmower Repair Located at
7635K Fullerton Road, Springfield VA 22015
703-455-5599 after hours 703-503-9449
repair@burkeslawnmower.com

Alternate Drop-Off: 9401 Burke Road, Burke VA 22015
7-Days a week 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

We are open Monday to Friday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Sunday 12 p.m. to 5 p.m,

Please Call to verify hours.

We have been servicing and focusing "solely" on the Residential Customer since 2005.

Respectfully,

Enresto
(owner)

Posted by: Chris ()
Date: November 30, 2010 11:39AM

I have used Brandell's recently and been extremely happy. I think they're about as affordable as they could be, supporting that large commercial space, and they did a great job with my equipment.

Posted by: ROI ()
Date: November 30, 2010 12:35PM

Is it really cost-effective to repair a (gas) lawn mower?

I think mine (electric) cost something like a hundred bucks, new. Can't imagine what a repair cost on it would be but cannot imagine less than a hundred bucks for a gas one.

Posted by: say ()
Date: November 30, 2010 09:32PM

ROI Wrote:
> Is it really cost-effective to repair a (gas) lawn
> mower?
>
> I think mine (electric) cost something like a
> hundred bucks, new. Can't imagine what a repair
> cost on it would be but cannot imagine less than a
> hundred bucks for a gas one.

Depends on the mower. I have a Honda Commercial walk-behind mower. Cost $1200.
In 10 years, it hasn't had a single problem, but if/when it does, it's worth fixing.

Posted by: molly ()
Date: December 27, 2010 11:31PM

home depot?

Posted by: say ()
Date: December 28, 2010 12:27AM

molly Wrote:
> home depot?

Are you asking if Home Depot repairs lawn mowers?

In a word, NO. The imbeciles that work there couldn't assemble a wheelbarrow!

They don't even service the new stuff they sell. Say you have a problem with a new John Deere tractor you bought at HD. They will tell you to take it to a John Deere dealer for warranty repairs. The only trouble is, John Deere dealers don't want to work on "made for Home Depot"/aka "promotional" John Deere tractors. They are cheap imitations of the real thing.

Posted by: Willie ()
Date: September 18, 2011 04:18PM

Burke's Lawnmower Repair Wrote:
> Burke's Lawnmower Repair Located at
> 7635K Fullerton Road, Springfield VA 22015
> 703-455-5599 after hours 703-503-9449
> repair@burkeslawnmower.com
>
> Alternate Drop-Off: 9401 Burke Road, Burke VA
> 22015
> 7-Days a week 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
>
> We are open Monday to Friday from 11 a.m. to 6
> p.m.
> Saturday 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
> Sunday 12 p.m. to 5 p.m,
>
> Please Call to verify hours.
>
> We have been servicing and focusing "solely" on
> the Residential Customer since 2005.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Enresto
> (owner)

Has anyone used these guys? Are they any good?

Posted by: sling blade ()
Date: September 18, 2011 05:34PM

Bill cox lawmower repair...ummm hummm

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: September 18, 2011 06:30PM

I think that, these days, a lawnmower repair only has a chance of being cost effective if it is DIY. This assumes you're not working with something professional grade that is worth fixing - which is rare for a homeowner.

I thought that my riding lawnmower needed an engine rebuild. That easily cost most of what whole thing was worth. I searched through some message boards regarding the engines and found that my particular model engine was known for blowing the head gasket in a certain spot - lots of blow-by into the crankcase.

I bought a head gasket on eBay for <$20 shipped and, thankfully, the old one was burned in the exact spot mentioned in the message board. I'm an amateur, so I'm lucky/glad I didn't break other things on the way in and out of that engine.

Taking them in for repair is simply not cost effective. If the labor is cheap, you get what you pay for in competence and quality of repair.

Posted by: Willie ()
Date: September 18, 2011 07:04PM

I only ask about Burke's Lawnmower repair cause mine just blew out today. Its about a decade old. Self-propel gave out, its really hard to crank, and when I can actually get it going it blows out white smoke, squeals and doesn't move forward.

I'd repair it if its not gonna cost an arm and a leg or anywhere near the cost of a new mower, but since I've never used a tech for fullblown repairs of this magnitude, I just thought I'd ask if anyone's had any luck with this one shop.

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: September 18, 2011 08:25PM

Call them and ask them what they charge to perform a diagnosis. From what you wrote, it is possible that the self-propel part is locked up.

If you're minimally handy, you can temporarily convert it to a non-self-propelled version and see how the engine runs.

Since fall is here, it is possible that you could get a clearance deal on a new one.

http://www.lowes.com/SearchCatalogDisplay?Ntt=self-propelled+gas+mower&Ns=p_product_price|0&langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&N=0

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Outdoor-Power-Equipment-Walk-Behind-Mowers-Self-Propelled-Mowers/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbxc3/h_d2/Navigation?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053Ν=P_PARENT_ID#/?c=1&Ns=P_REP_PRC_MODE|0

Posted by: 1995hoo ()
Date: September 19, 2011 09:52AM

I think the place you're thinking of in Annandale is JT's. They're behind the trophy store next to Paul's, a VW mechanic. Been there for as long as I can remember; I recall they used to do bicycle repairs as well.

Posted by: gernertony ()
Date: November 02, 2011 07:32AM

Looking for power washer and snow blower tune ups close to Annandale

Posted by: Oil Man ()
Date: November 14, 2011 01:51PM

I Agree on avoiding Brandels. I have used them for many years, but recently they have dissapointed me in the quality of their service, and knowledge at the counter. I am looking for an alternative as well.

I called Caliber and they were very nice on the phone, and were happy to check on availability of parts for me. So far so good.....

Posted by: Oil Man ()
Date: November 16, 2011 07:57AM

Well...Caliber never bothered to call back, not exactly what I would call good customer service. I would prefer to support our local business's, but I ended up going to the Briggs and Stratton website and ordering the parts I needed.

I think Caliber SUX

Date: November 16, 2011 08:22AM

Old thread is old.

Nonetheless....a relevant topic. My neighbor's push mower died last week so I tried to help. Opened up the engine and carburator. Corrosion.

Thank ethanol gas for that.

Mower is now sitting out at the curb.

-----------------------------------------------

"...your suffering will be legendary even in Hell!"

Posted by: Sears ()
Date: November 16, 2011 06:29PM

Sears has a mower repair service, but it takes a week or so to get it back.

Posted by: lordfairfax ()
Date: November 16, 2011 11:47PM

Pinhead the Cenobite Wrote:
> Corrosion.
>
> Thank ethanol gas for that.
>
>

+1

My Stihl backpack blower and Kombitool were both recalled this year due to gas cap corrosion from ethanol. Along with replacing the caps, Stihl recommended using at least 89 octane to help mitigate the ethanol effects. The ethanol debacle is costing consumers big time while rewarding a favored group.

Date: November 17, 2011 12:06AM

There are two things you can do to avoid the ethanol corrosion issue.

1) use a fuel additive product such as "Sta-bil"

2) purchase marine gasoline that does not incorporate E-10.

-----------------------------------------------

"...your suffering will be legendary even in Hell!"

Posted by: Marvin Ward ()
Date: January 22, 2012 05:44PM

I have an Ariens 520 snowblower that I purchased new back during the December blizzard of 2009. Last season it started running rich (could smell it in the exhaust), was hard to start, and had no power. I took it up to JT Mower in Annandale (I've used them for mower tune-ups for decades) to have them fix it but was told that it had no compression and was beyond repair. I just couldn't believe that was true as it was only 2 years old. To their credit, they did not charge me for looking at it.

Came back home and did a Google search for lawnmower repair centers and found Burke's Lawnmower Repair (which is really in Newington). They had a handful of reviews, all favorable, so I gave them a call. Spoke with the owner, Ernesto, and explained the problem. Ernesto seemed confident that it could be repaired and said to bring it down for a free estimate.

It was MLK day 2012 when I took it down. Ernesto had gone on an errand so I dropped it off with his assistant, Tarrcyk. Very nice guy and very helpful. Later that day, Ernesto called back with a preliminary estimate. My concern was that I didn't want to spend the money if it could not be fixed or wasn't going to run correctly. Ernesto assured me it could be fixed and said that it would be warranted through the remainder of the season so I told him to proceed.

On Wednesday I had a voice message on my cell from Ernesto saying the blower was ready for pickup. I swung by the shop on Sunday to pick it up. Ernesto was again out on an errand, however, Tarrcyk was there and took care of me. The blower started on the first pull and ran like a top. No rich running smell from the exhaust. We'll have to see how it does under load during the first snow (of course, now that I've had it fixed we won't get any measurable snow). I settled my bill with Tarrcyk and he helped my load it in my van.

Overall excellent experience with Burke's Lawn Mower Repair. Blower now runs like a top and I can't believe I got it back within a week!!! Thanks Ernesto and Tarrcyk for an excellent job.

Posted by: Laura ()
Date: August 28, 2012 06:26AM

Hands down Burke's Lawnmower repair! They do not charge a diagnostic fee nor require a deposit like the others above. They are friendly and you can talk to the mechanic who will fix it vice a salesman.

Posted by: Joe Johnson ()
Date: August 28, 2012 11:37AM

Depends on what you have and what you need done. VA Outdoor Power and Brandell's seemed more geared for SCAGs, Toros, Bobcats ... professional equipment. I had my engine replaced at VA Outdoor. They were fine. I think the price ok, not outrageous. Your right, the guys there need to work on their people skills.

Posted by: Vienna Lawnmower ()
Date: August 29, 2012 12:04AM

Vienna Lawnmower on Mill street in Vienna Va
Jeff and the guys there are the best

Posted by: Chuck P. ()
Date: March 11, 2013 12:26PM

I am a start up small engine repair business in the Fairfax City area. I will come and repair at your place. My rates beat anyone in the area. Email for details please.

Thanks, Chuck

Posted by: MLK republican ()
Date: March 11, 2013 01:52PM

I'll vouch for Chuck, he's the best and is reasonable.

Posted by: Burke Brat ()
Date: March 11, 2013 08:16PM

Belmont Power in Newington, Brandells in Fairfax City.

Posted by: Chance ()
Date: March 13, 2013 09:25AM

Problem done solved.
Attachments:
180564_188373797869931_7450864_a.jpg

Posted by: beavis ()
Date: March 14, 2013 10:34PM

Calibers on Draper Drive - never had an issue.

Posted by: yepbelmont ()
Date: March 15, 2013 02:05AM

I ton to Belmont Power for stuff. They get er done and don't take no shit. My kinda place.

Posted by: Chuck P. ()
Date: March 23, 2013 09:19AM

Chuck P. Wrote:
> I am a start up small engine repair business in
> the Fairfax City area. I will come and repair at
> your place. My rates beat anyone in the area.
> Email for details please.
service@chuckssmallenginerepair.com
>
> Thanks, Chuck

Posted by: jeff burkett ()
Date: June 14, 2014 03:32PM

best guy in the area he is located in chantilly and will pick your mower up if your close. dont pay some on 75+ an hour to work on your mower.

call jeff at 703-357-8233

Posted by: Tim H. ()
Date: February 27, 2015 04:35PM

I've been using Caliber for about 5 years. Trimmers, mowers, blowers, blades.
They are knowlegable, freindly and reasonably priced for the quality work that they do on my equipment. I consider them the best repair shop around.

http://caliberlawnandgarden.com/

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.