HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FiOS - They Tore Up My Yard, So When Can I Get Service?
Posted by: More Cowbell ()
Date: May 13, 2008 11:41AM

OK, so Verizon's contractor came through my neighborhood (Fairfax Club Estates) last week and put down what I understand to the key ingredient (fat orange cable) for getting FiOS. What's next? I check the Verizon website and my phone number and address don't show as having service yet, but addresses in Middleridge (the adjacent community) does. Does Verizon go door-to-door or send out a mailing? What is the typical lead time in order to get the install scheduled and completed?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FiOS - They Tore Up My Yard, So When Can I Get Service?
Posted by: 70chip ()
Date: May 13, 2008 11:45AM

6 months is about the average.

Date: May 13, 2008 11:46AM

Also, does anyone have a good experience playing Cox against Verizon in order to get a better deal on Cox cable and internet? It looks like I could save $40-50/month with Verizon, but would be willing to stick with Cox for a while longer if they gave me a price match.

Posted by: hope it helps ()
Date: May 13, 2008 01:54PM

The orange pipe you refer to is called innerduct which the fiber optic cable will be placed through. They will also place handholes which hold the terminals for sevice to the houses. Once all structure is placed along with the fiber it must be spliced together. Then addresses will be added into the database to allow for orders to flow. There will be mailings and door to door sales people once your neighborhood is ready. As far a comparing to cox there is no comparison. Verizon hands down, THe grass in the yard will regrow and you'll never know they were there. Should you order a new drop will need to be placed from your serving handhole to the house. The TV and internet make it all worth while. GOOD LUCK

Date: May 13, 2008 02:52PM

hope it helps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The orange pipe you refer to is called innerduct
> which the fiber optic cable will be placed
> through. They will also place handholes which hold
> the terminals for sevice to the houses.

This is a helpful response, thank you!

Are the handholes installed separately? We live on a cul-de-sac and it looks like they stopped the innerduct at my house and only hit one side of the street. There were no marking on the lawns of five houses and people are scratching their heads about how the service will get to them. Is there another step where Verizon runs the fiber from the street to my house?

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: May 13, 2008 03:03PM

hope it helps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> hands down, THe grass in the yard will regrow and
> you'll never know they were there. Should you
> order a new drop will need to be placed from your
> serving handhole to the house. The TV and internet
> make it all worth while. GOOD LUCK

Good to see the KoolAid from Verizon. Here are some different perspectives on the "lawn" growing back.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/comment/2568/54158

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/18/AR2005091801471.html

http://text.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15128689

Posted by: curdious ()
Date: May 13, 2008 03:24PM

what legal right do they have to tear up someones yard. I wonder what would happen if some crazy redneck shot the guys who were doing it?

Posted by: just guessing ()
Date: May 14, 2008 02:18PM

The legal right is most likely an easement granted by the builder of the developement. A properly done title search would show this but in most cases are not. The power company and telephone along with gas water and sewer usally have an easement across some part of your yard.

Posted by: hope it helps ()
Date: May 14, 2008 02:26PM

In response to as why not all yards were crossed. In a cul-de-sac and elsewhere multiple houses will be served from a handhole. They may have stopped short but when service is ordered a drop fiber will be placed from the closest handhole to there address.
As far as the grass coming back where the ground was disturbed, last years drought was tough on all lawns. But if you put new seed down or the lawn was dug up and replaced you had to keep it watered.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.