HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
West Highland Terriers
Posted by: bomble ()
Date: July 09, 2012 12:41PM

Anyone know a good place to get one, locally or within a reasonable drive?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: West Highland Terriers
Posted by: 496 ()
Date: July 09, 2012 01:01PM

Not sure where you can buy one but I will say I can punt one about 50 yards.

Posted by: Dwokka ()
Date: July 09, 2012 01:17PM

There's an all-world breeder of Westies outside of Baltimore, named Jamie Godek or something like that.

Depends on what you want to pay. No shortage of breeders, but if you want a good dog who isn't going to have all kinds of issues, it's well over $500.

Posted by: Boston terrier ()
Date: July 09, 2012 01:21PM

Linda's Boston Babies Harrisonburg, VA

We have a two old Boston. Best dog ever!

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: July 09, 2012 02:08PM

Adopt a shelter dog! They need you to save their life!

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: July 09, 2012 02:12PM

BEH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Adopt a shelter dog! They need you to save their
> life!

People don't get shelter dogs for the same reason they don't date someone who lives in a halfway house.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: July 09, 2012 02:24PM

You might want to check Westie Rescue - http://www.westierescue.com or http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/VA07.html. The second website is for Mid-Atlantic Westie Rescue which is based in Dunn Loring.

Posted by: Riggs ()
Date: July 09, 2012 09:37PM

I made the mistake of buying a dog from Jamie Glodek and paid well over $500. I loved that dog more than anything, but she had a slew of health issues and eventually developed a lung fibrosis that killed her. After she died, I met other folks who had dogs from Jamie that also died from the same fibrosis. Jamie's dogs are beautiful, but they aren't healthy. Steer clear of any dog bred by Jamie Glodek. If you have your heart set on a Westie, go through a rescue.

Date: July 11, 2012 12:24PM

thanks everyone. even for the humor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2012 12:24PM by bomble.

Date: July 11, 2012 12:24PM

Good advice, Riggs. Thank you.

Riggs Wrote:
> I made the mistake of buying a dog from Jamie
> Glodek and paid well over $500. I loved that dog
> more than anything, but she had a slew of health
> issues and eventually developed a lung fibrosis
> that killed her. After she died, I met other folks
> who had dogs from Jamie that also died from the
> same fibrosis. Jamie's dogs are beautiful, but
> they aren't healthy. Steer clear of any dog bred
> by Jamie Glodek. If you have your heart set on a
> Westie, go through a rescue.

Posted by: guthrie ()
Date: October 08, 2012 09:33PM

Riggs, is there anyway I may email you? I have a Westie from this kennel also. Thank you.

Date: October 08, 2012 09:34PM

I have a Westie also from this kennel. May I email you?

Riggs Wrote:

Date: October 08, 2012 09:43PM

Absolutely - catmercer81ATgmaildotcom

Posted by: Breeding=Killing ()
Date: October 08, 2012 09:49PM

Riggs Wrote:

Bred dogs are the WORST in terms of health. Breeding 1 dog = the death of around 3 others - often a shelter dog is passed over and more than 50%+ of dogs bought from breeders are eventually dropped of at SHELTERS + the MANY deaths of bred dogs from over breeding.

Breeding dogs is a horrible activity - there is a special coming out about it on TV soon - maybe someone can find it? I think it focuses on the "show" dogs and how unhealthy they really are - fucking assholes want a ribbon over the health of an innocent animal.

Breeding details a lot of incest and if you think about it, it is nothing more than people trying to make $$$$$. Only a pompous fuck would PAY for an inbred dog, that will have many many health issues verse getting one from a shelter.

Breeding should be against the law, it is disgusting.

Posted by: breeding = killling ()
Date: October 08, 2012 10:08PM

I hope every-time you drive by a shelter or rescue you feel like shit for BUYING a "name-brand" inbred unhealthy animal verse SAVING one that will love you forever unconditionally.

bomble - do not support the basic slavery trade of animals.

Date: October 08, 2012 10:27PM

Why should I feel like shit when I actively volunteer and donate to rescue organizations?

I learned my lesson a long time ago and I don't need some clown like you guilting me over this. Am I on here advocating buying a dog from a breeder? No. I'm warning others from making the same mistake I did.

Save your hostility for someone who is actually ignorant about irresponsible breeding.

Posted by: GuJTE ()
Date: October 08, 2012 11:35PM

Riggs Wrote:
> Why should I feel like shit when I actively
> volunteer and donate to rescue organizations?
>
> I learned my lesson a long time ago and I don't
> need some clown like you guilting me over this. Am
> I on here advocating buying a dog from a breeder?
> No. I'm warning others from making the same
> mistake I did.
>
> Save your hostility for someone who is actually
> ignorant about irresponsible breeding.

they said it to the poster "bromble" as noted in their post

Posted by: Breeding = Killing ()
Date: October 08, 2012 11:37PM

I was the OP of the post right after yours Riggs - I was agreeing with you ands then trying to let bomble know not to help the breeders kill more animals. My bad, I did not specify that in the beginning of my post.

Date: October 08, 2012 11:45PM

Really? So why was my post quoted in the response?

Why are you speaking for breeding = killling? If they have want to respond or clarify, they are welcome to do so.

Posted by: Throat-Slitter ()
Date: October 08, 2012 11:49PM

Are you SHOWING the dog professionally? Then you are cleared to buy a purebred dog.

Everyone else...please go to your local pound or check with a rescue group.

Posted by: Breeding = Killing ()
Date: October 08, 2012 11:50PM

Riggs Wrote:
> Really? So why was my post quoted in the response?
>
>
> Why are you speaking for breeding = killling? If
> they have want to respond or clarify, they are
> welcome to do so.

I should have started the post with...

"I agree with the above statement"....and then went on my rant. I was citing your post as another supporting NOT using breeders.

Date: October 08, 2012 11:51PM

breeding = killling, thanks for clarifying. I'm glad we share the same sentiment. Can we refrain from saying people should feel like shit for wanting to buy a dog from a breeder though? As hard to believe as it may be, there are a lot of people out there who are uneducated about the horrors of overbreeding/puppy mills/show breeding. Sometimes just talking to folks and stating facts gets the point across in a major way.

Posted by: pLnpt ()
Date: October 08, 2012 11:52PM

Throat-Slitter Wrote:
> Are you SHOWING the dog professionally? Then you
> are cleared to buy a purebred dog.
>
> Everyone else...please go to your local pound or
> check with a rescue group.

I wish someone could find the documentary coming up on how unhealthy the "Show" dogs are - anyone? I want to say that it is on TruTV or something...

I do not think that is they are SHOWING the dog, they are cleared - I think they are the MOST guilty.

Posted by: 467G3 ()
Date: October 08, 2012 11:58PM

Riggs Wrote:
> breeding = killling, thanks for clarifying. I'm
> glad we share the same sentiment. Can we refrain
> from saying people should feel like shit for
> wanting to buy a dog from a breeder though? As
> hard to believe as it may be, there are a lot of
> people out there who are uneducated about the
> horrors of overbreeding/puppy mills/show breeding.
> Sometimes just talking to folks and stating facts
> gets the point across in a major way.

Cool - I just want the demand for breeding to disappear. I know of many people who do it just for extra income with no regard for the welfare of the animals.

If I had more time I would google and post links - I agree that is the best way...but for now I want people to feel guilty as hell if they purchase a bred dog over using a shelter/rescue.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: October 09, 2012 07:53AM

I do not understand this anti-breeding logic. Do you refuse to buy new cars because there are so many used ones available? Do you refuse to buy a new house (no doubt plopped down in pristine farmland further out) because you could buy a used one? Not all breeders are puppy mills, and I doubt that casual breeders make much if any money from the activity.

I've had shelter pets, had dogs I got from breeders and currently have one of each. The markets are entirely different. If you are looking for a companion pet a shelter can be a great place to find one. If you are looking for an animal with certain physical characteristics that you can raise and train from a puppy, then breeders are usually a better option. Yes you can sometimes find a specific breed of dog at a shelter, but if you favor non-popular breeds that can be a challenge. There are also rescue organizations that specialize in certain breeds, but most seem to have older dogs. Plus some can be just as demanding as "champion" breeders.

What matters isn't where you get the animal. It is the committment you are willing to make to the animal once you get it.

Posted by: Stinkbox ()
Date: October 09, 2012 08:47AM

breeding = killling Wrote:
> I hope every-time you drive by a shelter or rescue
> you feel like shit for BUYING a "name-brand"
> inbred unhealthy animal verse SAVING one that will
> love you forever unconditionally.
>
> bomble - do not support the basic slavery trade of
> animals.

Shut the fuck up, you don't know how anyone treats an animal so stop trying to guilt trip people bitch. My animals see the doctor for their regular checkups. Stop judging people over the internet bitch and get your fat ass excited about exercise and put down the sour cream and onion lays too lard ass.
The simple task of getting a pound dog/cat is entirely different from getting a dog/cat from a breeder. The pound/rescue group tells you they need to do a home interview and talk to everyone in the household. You need to fill out a few forms and most of the time you need to call them back to see whats going on with your application. You pay $50-$150 (usually closer to $150) as an adoption fee. The questions get retardedly invasive and they won't let you keep a dog to guard your house. Getting the dog from a breeder is a totally different story though. You put down a deposit or just go pick it up when it's born. You do pay $200+ more though but you don't have to put up with that fat greasy shelter employee who looks like she owns about 30 cats. Not a lot of invasive questions from the breeder. Then, the type of animal you get is completely different. From the shelter, you get an animal that has been through the trauma of being in the shelter not to mention whatever the fuck it went through before that. Some of them have severe behavioral problems. If you buy a puppy from a breeder though, the animal will learn what you teach it. Teach it to behave and it will behave. With a pound animal, there is just no telling, it may bite your dick off one day.

Date: October 09, 2012 09:42PM

Without good breeders and kennels, breeds will no longer exist. That's fine to buy from a shelter. Most people should.

I'm all for responsible kennels. They keep a breed going and true to its original form. That doesn't mean all breeders are good.

I get tired of this shelter debate.

Date: October 10, 2012 10:24AM

Thanks! I emailed you.

Posted by: westie lover ()
Date: January 28, 2013 12:21PM

I bought a westie from this jamie glodek too. my dog lived to 17 years old and never had any health issues. Did you contact jamie when your dog had a problem? how long ago did you get your dog? What else have you heard.

Posted by: hat trick ()
Date: January 28, 2013 12:33PM

I have also bought a westie from jamie glodek. i never heard about this fibrosis stuff. So i called glodek to make sure my dog did not have it. she said that her dogs are checked by a vet and she does not breed dogs for health problems. She also told me to call her anytime there is a problem. Apparently that person, Riggs didn't keep in contact with glodek. Something smells fishy with Riggs, like dead macheral!!

Posted by: Duffy ()
Date: March 29, 2013 03:21PM

I am a responsible Westie breeder.I have also dealt with and known Jamie for many years. She does have beautiful and national winning dogs, but several years ago she developed so many problems in her dogs that she has had to go out to Europe, specifically Germany and the Czech Republic to reinvigorate her line. Many of the dogs she is producing are good, but some of the older stuff in the pedigrees that are behind them can still produce significant health problems in puppies,and...she doesn't remove dogs that produce problems from breeding as any ethical breeder would, in my opinion. There are many good breeders out there, you just need to do some homework by contacting local and regional clubs as well as the National Westie club for referrals. Good quality dogs cost from $2000 minimum to $3000, and you should be willing to wait as much as a year when you find, go and see, and select someone you want to deal with. As far as Rescue dogs, they are a good choice if you don't object to some potential problems. All of the regional westie clubs have a rescue effort, and you can contact them in Northern New Jersey, New York, Baltimore, Pennsylvania (several) Louisville (Indiana club) Atlanta, and Tampa. They will tell you what they know or don't know about a dog that's available, and usually want about a $200 donation to help with their rescue efforts and vet bills for dogs that are rescued, they range from puppies that are less than a year old to elderly dogs. So those are the options for someone who wants a pure bred dog, one that you know what the size and general temperament will be, what it is supposed to act like and what it was bred to do, as opposed to a dog of unknown lineage, origin, and life experience that may all of a sudden behave in an unexpected negative fashion, as "Stinkbox" so aptly put it.

Posted by: Enrico Palazzo ()
Date: March 29, 2013 04:48PM

Breeding=Killing Wrote:
> 50%+ of dogs bought from breeders are eventually
> dropped of at SHELTERS

Wait...^ conflicts with v

> inbred dog, that will have many many health issues
> verse getting one from a shelter.

Posted by: KRL ()
Date: April 04, 2013 07:53AM

I have been searching for a Westie breeder that has a good line of quality, healthy pet quality westies. I have been using the list of breeders on the Westie Club of America. So far, no luck. Most litters have been show quality puppies. I have learned that it is a tight network of breeders. After reading your post, I am concerned about learning of any issues a particular breeder may have. I've been down the rescue route with three of my dogs and they all had medical issues, some deadly, that cost alot of money and pain for them and for me. I would really appreciate talking to you about my continued search for a female Westie that will get a wonderful, forever home with me and my family.

Posted by: Marathon-Runner ()
Date: April 04, 2013 11:32AM

By far, Westies are the best breed of dogs!! They're great companions, great around kids, and have excellent temperment.

My 8 y/o Westie is very healthy, too!

He is so obedient that I can take him for walks without a leash.

Duffy's Post about Westie Breeders
Posted by: KRL ()
Date: April 04, 2013 01:05PM

Duffy, I posted my situation about finding a Westie today, April 4, 2013. I would specifically like for you to contact me via email so I can touch base with you. Thanks!

Posted by: budo ()
Date: August 21, 2013 10:39PM

Weird and inane comment. They are wonderful as pets. Many of the "purebreds", of which I have bred and owned many, are the ones with inherent problems.

Posted by: WESTIE person ()
Date: September 11, 2013 09:50PM

I also bought a dogs from this Jaimi Glodek ,that is her correct spelling,all of my dogs have lived to ages of 12-18 years and my children now have grown up and they now have wonderful dogs from her. They are Beautiful and well adjusted and Jaimi also requires that her dogs be spayed and neutered and she was always there to answer any questions. She is hard to get ahold of but it is worth the wait to have one of her fabulous dogs,WESTIE Person,and Riggs why did you not call or write her and tell her what was going on with your dog? No one can guarantee what will happen10 years down the road,t here are no guarantees with anyone's health,but in this case Jaimi would help if you call!!

Posted by: Highlands ()
Date: October 22, 2013 04:03PM

Educate yourself. No matter what purebred dog you purchase there can be
health issues. Educate yourself about health issues that can affect the breed.Know your breeder! Look for a person committed to the breed
There are many breeders in all National Clubs all of the country and world
that do care about the breed and do many things ie hunting, field trials swimming that the dogs were bred for and commit their lives to it. As in everything in LIFE there are many that exploit animals of all kinds. There are many breeders who care. Dogs do not live in crates. They are loved and spayed and neutered if not in the show ring. Responsible breeders will neuter spay and stand behind their breeding. Go to westiefoudation.org and see what national club members are working on. Responsible breeders are not looking for quantity . Its quality and the a standard as each pure bred dog has listed on the AKC website. Just like humans having children a genetic issue can occur even if you take really good care of yourself in pregnancy. Its what you do about it that counts . Most people who shop for puppies want the cute
puppy in the window and do not do their homework. Shelters are wonderful and yes dogs do get surrendered to shelters. Why is that?? Because humans buy them and so get tired of the the work and needs of the dog. Many do not want the commitment. Dog are life long companions and love you more than they love themselves.

Posted by: Broad stripe ()
Date: January 08, 2014 08:27PM

I have not bought a dog from Jaimi because she did not have one available when I was looking but she steered me to other very reputable breeders that had babies and we have a 7 yr old that welcome. I called her on many occasions to ask questions and even. Though we did not buy a dog from her she gave us very good advice. I have met other people with her dogs and they are very happy with them.
I would recommend her to anyone as she cares about her dogs and the breed. She shows her dogs and has had many top winning dogs but she treats everyone she talks to ,sells or meets with the utmost respect and she has shown my wife and I that there are people that love there dogs like we love our children. So if anyone has a problem that has one of her dogs on this list and does not let her know about it then you should not bad mouth her,that is all I am saying . A very happy WESTIE owner who bought from a show Breeder not a puppy mill person,by the way we had to sign a contract to have our dog spayed! That is a reputable breeder !

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: January 08, 2014 08:50PM

My neighbor has the breed of mutt. I'll give it to you cheap.

Posted by: Mclean ()
Date: July 23, 2014 02:13PM

I am late to this chat but looking for a westie in the great DC area.... Can anyone recommend a breeder? My last dog passed in May and he had health issues his whole life so i do not want to return to that backyard breeder.

Posted by: West - Yes ()
Date: November 19, 2014 10:55PM

My family has had FIVE Westies from Jaimi Glodek.

Before one buys a dog from ANY breeder, it pays to do research into the person, the breeder. These characteristics of Jaimi attracted us to her:
1. She is absolutely honest.
2. She is a second generation Westie breeder. She investigates the genetic line of a proposed breeding back at least ten generations.
She is determined not to abuse her dogs for the sake of money.
3. She is as careful regarding the people who receive her dogs. If she finds a dog in a less than congenial setting, she will immediately return any money involved and remove the dog to seek a happier placement for the dog - and for the family involved.
4. Jaimi is an old fashioned breeder. She does her homework. If a problem appears - as a problem can in any breed - she moves quickly to address it. EXAMPLE: My most recent pup was part of a litter that had copper storage disease - a condition endemic to Wasties (one of three breeds). Jaimi immediately informed all owners. Whether the pup was a family member or a show dog, EVERY member of that line was neutered or spayed to prevent the condition from affecting future dogs. It is not known whether this condition jumps generations - some of the dogs spayed or neutered did not show any sign of the copper disease. But Jaimi believes that until medical proof shows to the contrary, no chance can be taken. By the way, when my pup was identified as one of the line with copper storage disease, Jaimi called offering to take the dog from me and to return all monies involved. I refused, But that offer told me a great deal about the quality of the person with whom I was dealing.

Anyone with a dog from any source can suddenly find themselves dealing with a situation they never intended in that dog. Dogs are living beings as are we. Rude or unsubstantiated comments about persons do not further our understanding of our pets and their conditions. Each person has a responsibility to carefully assess the place and/or person that offers them a pet. There are breeders who are not ethical - and the same may be said of shelters, not to mention puppy mills (which ought to be outlawed.) That does not mean that every breeder or shelter can be stereotyped or easily characterized negatively,

Back to Jaimi: ANYONE with a question can call her. Or visit her and see how her dogs are raised. Anyone with a problem regarding a Westie from her has no room for criticism of her when she is absolutely transparent in her work.

Westies are great and wonderful pets. Go to Disney Road in Odenton to see for yourself. You will NOT find a puppy mill or a person who does not love her dogs from birth to death wherever they are.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: November 21, 2014 02:38PM

Anytime my Doberman needs a quick protein fix I buy from Jaimi. Her dogs are just plain yummy!

Posted by: KTtd3 ()
Date: November 21, 2014 03:13PM

Westies are some of the most god awful dogs I have ever been around.

Bark, bark, bark and crap on the floor out of spite. My family had one when I was growing up and I know MANY people that have had them and the same crapping on the floor stuff is something I have never seen with any other breed of dog, even jumped up on the bed and crapped on the bed. Never had a problem with any breed I had as well.

Its not that these dog were not house broken or not taken out regularly, they just seem to not want to crap outside, they just seem to hang onto it and bring it back in and wait until nobody is around.

Spiteful stupid dogs that have absolutely no redeeming qualities as far as I am concerned.

Suit yourself, but this is one breed I have no use for.

Posted by: West is Best ()
Date: December 01, 2014 06:34PM

I have two Westies now but had three at one point. I worked with one backyard breeder because my daughter had to have a dog NOW. She is 11 years old and the MOST intelligent dog we have ever onwed. She is NOT a show dog (i.e., she is INTELLIGENT) but we weren't looking for that. We purchased our next Westie from a well respected Westie breeder - the absolute love of our life but as dumb as a box of rocks but he looked like a Rock Star and did well in show ring. We lost him a few years ago and I still tear up when I think of him. We purchased a female to breed to him but it never worked out - again from a very reputable breeder. She has congenital cataracts. We had her spayed as we would not want to pass this on. No matter, we love, love, love them all. My advice is BUYER BEWARE. The breeders are very tightly knit and smell a sucker a mile away. As for owning a Westie - they are wonderful dogs.

Posted by: PC ()
Date: December 21, 2014 10:40PM

We are currently trying to get a westie and have been having a very hard time getting in touch with Jaimi via email. Does anyone have her phone number so we can reach out to her about available puppies?

Posted by: PC ()
Date: December 21, 2014 10:47PM

We are currently trying to get a westie and have been having a very hard time getting in touch with Jaimi via email. Does anyone have her phone number so we can reach out to her about available puppies?

My email is bentonstreetnw@gmail.com if anyone has it handy.

Posted by: Westie Owner ()
Date: July 07, 2015 06:21PM

Regarding Jaimi Glodek; my recent exchange of emails with her about purchasing a Westie puppy began on a normal note but have since gone south. She charges $3000 for a Westie puppy and expects a $1500 deposit. Upon requesting a contract before issuing a complete stranger a check for $1500, she answered me by saying that if I could not trust her, to go elsewhere. Fully aware that breeders are a breed of their own, I still tried to do business with this woman who has not bothered to respond to my subsequent efforts to contact her. I love Wesites and have owned two but after dealing with this unprofessional, arrogant breeder, I am considering other options.

Posted by: Kung Pao Poodle ()
Date: July 07, 2015 06:29PM

bomble Wrote:
> Anyone know a good place to get one, locally or
> within a reasonable drive?

Not much meat on one of those - Try a nice tender Beagle.

Easy to cook on the grill - Serves up to 6 people.

Posted by: FXnC6 ()
Date: July 07, 2015 06:32PM

$3k for a dog, much less a Westie, you can keep it.

Also any breeder wanting a 50% deposit can go suck some wind out of my backside. If there are SO many people wanting Westies that they are going for $3k, a $200-$300 is all that is needed.

Also for any breeder to charge $3k for a dog and not be responsive, MOVE on.

But I would say, little dog = little bladder and little dog = big attitude.

I grew up with a Westie, almost did not ever want another dog in my life. Luckily my wife convinced me to get a Lab shortly after we were married.

I am on my 3rd Lab and these are great compainions and great dogs overall. My current pup is only 3 months old and is going to turn out to be a great dog. Already house broken, swimming and fetching, took very little effort.

Westies, you can keep them.

Posted by: LK ()
Date: July 25, 2015 12:54PM

The malcontent is possibly a very anti breeder person who is seeking to malign Glodek and making up the story.

Posted by: lk ()
Date: July 25, 2015 01:01PM

It sounds as if your family, not the dogs are the problem, I've had two westies and, once housebroken, they are as reliable as can be to wait until taken out and if an emergency arises they will attempt to let you know that they need to go out. It's often the owner who doesn't know what the dog is trying to tell them and those people shouldn't own dogs.

Posted by: lk ()
Date: July 25, 2015 01:02PM

She probably figured out you're a pain in the ass and decided she didn't need the grief.

Posted by: Karen Kelley ()
Date: December 05, 2015 11:51AM

Just wanted to put in a good word for Jamie Glodek. Jamie is a well respected Westie breeder and was a good friend to the Westie Breed. I don't doubt that she has made errors - she is human. I'm sorry you lost your Westie far too soon, but these things happen. It is unfortunate that it may take awhile for a genetic disorder to show itself. It does take time to adjust your breeding program - you can't just kill all your dogs and hope to find a fault-free strain.
Karen Kelley

Posted by: satchel ()
Date: June 05, 2016 01:35PM

Hi Duffy, I don't know if you will see this. Do you have an email? I'd like to get in touch with someone who knows Westies well. I love the breed.

Here is my email: carl.cooper.carl (at) gmail.com

Thank you!!!

Posted by: satchel ()
Date: June 05, 2016 01:38PM

Hi Duffy! I wrote to you above. Hope you see it.

Duffy Wrote:
> I am a responsible Westie breeder.I have also
> dealt with and known Jamie for many years. She
> does have beautiful and national winning dogs, but
> several years ago she developed so many problems
> in her dogs that she has had to go out to Europe,
> specifically Germany and the Czech Republic to
> reinvigorate her line. Many of the dogs she is
> producing are good, but some of the older stuff in
> the pedigrees that are behind them can still
> produce significant health problems in
> puppies,and...she doesn't remove dogs that produce
> problems from breeding as any ethical breeder
> would, in my opinion. There are many good breeders
> out there, you just need to do some homework by
> contacting local and regional clubs as well as the
> National Westie club for referrals. Good quality
> dogs cost from $2000 minimum to $3000, and you
> should be willing to wait as much as a year when
> you find, go and see, and select someone you want
> to deal with. As far as Rescue dogs, they are a
> good choice if you don't object to some potential
> problems. All of the regional westie clubs have a
> rescue effort, and you can contact them in
> Northern New Jersey, New York, Baltimore,
> Pennsylvania (several) Louisville (Indiana club)
> Atlanta, and Tampa. They will tell you what they
> know or don't know about a dog that's available,
> and usually want about a $200 donation to help
> with their rescue efforts and vet bills for dogs
> that are rescued, they range from puppies that
> are less than a year old to elderly dogs. So those
> are the options for someone who wants a pure bred
> dog, one that you know what the size and general
> temperament will be, what it is supposed to act
> like and what it was bred to do, as opposed to a
> dog of unknown lineage, origin, and life
> experience that may all of a sudden behave in an
> unexpected negative fashion, as "Stinkbox" so
> aptly put it.

Posted by: LbtKc ()
Date: June 05, 2016 01:45PM

My mother desperately wanted a Westhighland White Terrier so I grew up with one.

What a WASTE of a dog.

They ALL crap and pee in the house non stop even when house broken. Constant barking, put their nose to the ground and run off.

I have compared notes with anyone that has one of these miserable animals and they are all mostly the same.

These dogs are SPITEFUL.

You DO NOT want one, get a real dog.

Posted by: Dog Owner ()
Date: June 05, 2016 07:24PM

Keeshond....nuff said.

Posted by: Amy Feinberg ()
Date: June 19, 2018 03:44PM

I have been considering adopting a westie from Jaimi Glodek, could you please tell me what your experience has been?
Thank you!
Amy

Posted by: Dog Gone Hungry ()
Date: June 19, 2018 05:10PM

Amy Feinberg Wrote:
> I have been considering adopting a westie from
> Jaimi Glodek, could you please tell me what your
> experience has been?
> Thank you!
> Amy

A Westie is not as meaty as other breeds out there, and it makes it difficult to serve a large family multiple feedings off of one dog.

Posted by: same difference ()
Date: June 19, 2018 08:09PM

Just get a Scottie and dye it white.

Posted by: BruceKleinIIIxx ()
Date: June 19, 2018 08:25PM

You deserve to burn in hell.

If someone were planning to kill you

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> BEH Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Adopt a shelter dog! They need you to save
> their
> > life!
>
>
> People don't get shelter dogs for the same reason
> they don't date someone who lives in a halfway
> house.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2018 08:27PM by BruceKleinIIIxx.

Posted by: MM6WE ()
Date: June 19, 2018 09:05PM

If you have no experience with Westie's, think again.

I grew up with one and it almost caused me to never get a dog as I grew older.

Luckily I decided to get real dogs and have never looked back.

Any dog that weighs less than 30-35 lbs is not a real dog, just large rodents.

Posted by: Blessedbywesties ()
Date: November 23, 2018 03:01PM

I have 2 from Jaimi's line. The youngest I purchased from Jaimi herself. Both of my girls are amazingly smart, happy, healthy westies. Some of the reviews here are horrid. I can only speak from our experience, she is a very knowledgable breeder and loves her dogs. She has been nothing but kind to us and answers all our questions.

Posted by: Mary Dague ()
Date: February 14, 2020 06:14AM

I have owned two of Jami Glodeck's westies, a male and a female. They were like children to us and in fact helped raise our children! They are great with kids Jami charges top dollar because ALL of her puppies have Champion Sires and Dams. These are top dogs. She wells them about 13 weeks old, before she can even tell whether they are show-quality or not. One of ours was definitely show quality but we had the joy of giving him a happy life at home. Jamie's show dogs are the happiest dogs you will ever see in the ring. They live the life of her other pet dogs as well as learning how to show and be perfectly groomed. All her dogs adore her. Look at pictures of tShe AKC winning westies from decades ago...Jami and her mother Joanne are a big reason why the standard had improved. Our dogs dies of cancer at 15. We have had 5 Westies and 15 is a good long life. Jamie will help any step along the way if you have problems. She has devoted her live to the breed, very hard work with all the showing, grooming, doing homework for good breeding. She has owned and showed many of the best Westies in history. Be wary of Westie rescue. Some dogs are bred just to sell to rescue; others are puppy mill sold to rescue.

Posted by: Ugly dogs ()
Date: February 14, 2020 08:40AM

Westies are ugly and not very friendly. My 35 lb lab mix is much cuter, smells better and way friendlier than any Westie. A stranger could walk into my home and pick up my dog, kiss her and she would be so happy. Try that with a Westie...

Posted by: Jarens ()
Date: February 19, 2020 04:06PM

I can't agree with the latest post at all! They are so cute and beautiful!! I've bought my West Highland Terrier Jessie 2 years ago and I am totally happy! You have to wash your dog with a good shampoo, feed good food with supplements and take care of the place where it will sleep. By the way, I've purchased a new bed for Jessie after reading this review https://thepetsmaster.com/best-dog-beds/ and I know that my darling is sleeping well at night, and makes me happy during the day-time!

Posted by: Dog & Broccoli ()
Date: February 19, 2020 04:16PM

Pin Pong Pow

https://youtu.be/9hFO290YK1U
Attachments:
C644B564-9B01-44E8-B68E-8CD6CB19B755.jpeg
51722055-92F3-490F-BA56-192F980D3790.jpeg

Posted by: Tasty ()
Date: February 19, 2020 04:33PM

Posted by: L K ()
Date: April 06, 2021 01:16PM

Only an idiot would blame the breeder when a dog isn’t properly housebroken.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.