HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12345678910AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 10
High School Football
Posted by: Jase ()
Date: July 08, 2012 10:16PM

who ready for football season, and who going to have a good season?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: High School Football
Posted by: novafan ()
Date: July 08, 2012 10:42PM

Look for Centreville, who boasts an all star coaching staff, chantilly, with a great defense, Westfield, with a massive talent pool, and robinson, hungry after a rare down year, to once again dominate the region.

Also, Braddock has a bunch of mercenary transfers led by their QB, who will beat up on the annually sad, sorry patriot district. They will then lose to a Concorde team in the playoffs (most likely one of the four listed above) and complain that the "weather was crappy".

Concorde District=Best football in VA.

Posted by: coach ()
Date: July 08, 2012 10:49PM

novafan, I think you hit the nail on the head, but a few other teams will definatly turn heads this season. Madison, West Springfield, Fairfax and Oakton will all field very tough, aggressive and well coached teams this fall.

Posted by: FuckWHS ()
Date: July 09, 2012 12:20AM

No one gives a fuck about high school football. Especially Westfield High School football. That school's a fucking joke

Posted by: not ()
Date: July 09, 2012 07:44AM

novafan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Concorde District=Best football in VA.

Sorry, the best football in VA is in the 757.

Posted by: Concorde ()
Date: July 09, 2012 10:48AM

2000- Centreville 28 Deep Creek 26
2001- Robinson 40 Thomas Dale 7
2003- Westfield 35 Landstown 14
2005- Oakton DOMINATES Percy Harvin and Landstown 28-7
2007- Westfield 24 Oscar Smith 21 (state semis)
2008- Oakton narrowly loses to Oscar Smith 7-10
2009- Of course braddock screws it up, losing to Dale 21-35
2011- Centreville OR Westfield could have beaten anyone in the 757.

So a decade of dominance against the flashy 757 doesn't make the Concorde better?

Posted by: not ()
Date: July 09, 2012 12:43PM

Concorde Wrote:
> 2000- Centreville 28 Deep Creek 26
> 2001- Robinson 40 Thomas Dale 7
> 2003- Westfield 35 Landstown 14
> 2005- Oakton DOMINATES Percy Harvin and Landstown
> 28-7
> 2007- Westfield 24 Oscar Smith 21 (state semis)
> 2008- Oakton narrowly loses to Oscar Smith 7-10
> 2009- Of course braddock screws it up, losing to
> Dale 21-35
> 2011- Centreville OR Westfield could have beaten
> anyone in the 757.
>
> So a decade of dominance against the flashy 757
> doesn't make the Concorde better?

No it doesn't since it's not a "decade of dominance". '00 and '01 were over a decade ago and C-ville or Westfield could not, and in fact did not beat anyone in the 757 in '11. Smith 47 C-ville 21 in case you've forgotten. Citing losses in '08 and '09 doesn't do much to bolster your dominance arguement either.

Posted by: 06 Champs ()
Date: July 09, 2012 01:02PM

Oakton HS.. 2006 State Champs. Keith Payne (UVA) holds Harvin to his first >100yrds a game that season, playing both ways. Great game and both great teams; Concorde came out on top.

Posted by: WrongYear ()
Date: July 09, 2012 01:47PM

06 Champs Wrote:
> Oakton HS.. 2006 State Champs. Keith Payne (UVA)
> holds Harvin to his first >100yrds a game that
> season, playing both ways. Great game and both
> great teams; Concorde came out on top.

Pretty sure that was in '05.

Date: July 09, 2012 01:49PM

Oakton HS 2006...hell yea! What a great team. Was a dream season.

and 2008-09 does bolster the argument because 1) LB isnt in the concorde, meaning they dont play the difficult competition week in and week out. and 2) Oscar Smiths 2008 "dream team" state title team could only muster up 10 points against Oakton with their Alabama Quarterback?

Nuff Said.

Posted by: but... ()
Date: July 09, 2012 01:56PM

Stop changing the subject!!
Fairfax still sucks

Date: July 09, 2012 02:07PM

...Who changed the subject? What does Fairfax have to do with anything? they havent been in the Concorde since 06.

Posted by: matchup ()
Date: July 09, 2012 02:25PM

Go see how the Concorde does vs Patriot district teams this season. Ive coached quarterbacks for 2 schools in the concorde for 10 years and nobody is better prepared, or better in big games. Centreville plays Lake Braddock in week 1. They will see what the concorde is all about.

Posted by: 06 Champs ()
Date: July 09, 2012 02:29PM

@Wrong Year- doesn't make a difference, it was the 05-06 school year; our 06 Senior year. still the same outcome, still WON!.. dirtyyy. #Concordedistrict

Posted by: faxfams ()
Date: July 09, 2012 04:27PM

Fairfax still will be 4th in their DIVISION 5 district and act like they accomplished something. Okay I'm exaggerating, they will finish 3rd... maybe.

Posted by: Deku Shield ()
Date: July 09, 2012 07:44PM

The idea that Centreville/Westfield could beat the high end teams in the Eastern region is laughable. anyone who believes it hasn't done enough homework to make such a silly claim.

Look how many recruits come out of the Eastern Region compared to the northern region. its not even close.

On the bright side, Fairfax just bought a new sled. not a blocking sled, an actual sled for snow related activities.

Posted by: back at deku shield ()
Date: July 09, 2012 08:48PM

Okay, the Eastern Region has more top athletic recruits, I've give you that.

They also have more arrests, more out of wedlock births, lower test scores, and for every Percy Harvin and Michael Vick that makes millions in the NFL, you have dozens of NFL wannabees that can't even get into a four year college, let alone make a living playing football. Seriously, only an idiot would want his kid to grow up in the Eastern Region as opposed to the Northern Region. Face it, the economic circumstances of your average Eastern Region football player are more akin to the antebellum South than they are to the kids in the Northern Region.

You call having more Division I recruits progress? Please. . .

Posted by: Din's Fire ()
Date: July 09, 2012 11:48PM

Ha the northern region has few guys go Div I and even those few have a high rate of screwing up.

The Robinson LB failing drug test at VT 2 yrs ago.
The Robinson RB leaving FB threats and getting kicked out of WF.
The Robinson RB Roid Raging and having to be covered up by Notre Dame.
The Springfield RB getting a girl pregnant in the 90's.
The LB kids getting in baseball bat fights and never making it to college.
The Oakton RB who was in and out of UVA never living up to his potential and cruising on one good game against Percy Harvin.
The Annandale WR who couldn't spell football.

The northern region isn't exactly batting .1000

Posted by: so. ()
Date: July 10, 2012 03:17AM

Eddie Royal
Evan Royster

Posted by: touche' ()
Date: July 10, 2012 08:15AM

This Eastern Region vs Northern Region debate has gotten more leg than the East Coast - West Coast Rap battle.

Look, the state has good football, the speed comes from the beach, cannot be disputed and in Nova you get a mix of size, etc. I don't think the numbers can be compared as it is clear that the 757 holds it down with the attraction of speedsters.

But to start going in on who has the most issues once they get to, if they get in college is going way too far. Its a black eye for the state, not just the region he comes from. Each region has their issues.

And FYI - the LB kids that got into the brawl, none were D-1 type players, the WS kids brought the bats, and the main kid involed was not going to college anyway, parents are loaded and was headed into the family business. While not squeaky clean, sure is a lot of digs on LB on this site. I've seen them play both games and 7 on 7s, seems to me that they have average athletes, but get the most out of them. The Annandale kid was a D-1 type kid, but did not have the right people in his corner. Adams didn't help the situation at all either. Someone had to know that he has issues. Just saying.

Question for people in the Eastern Region - Do the schools that do well, O-Smith, Pheobus etc receive the same type of hate that some schools up here in the North get when they do well? Or do you guys pull together as a region?

Posted by: NOVA ()
Date: July 10, 2012 09:26AM

@so. +1

Eddie Royal
Evan Royster
Cody Grimm

..all pretty recent.

Posted by: meh ()
Date: July 10, 2012 09:42AM

You guys fucking pedos or something?

"Here I am 45 year old single male... mmmm look at those tasty sweaty high school football players. "

Posted by: so +1? ()
Date: July 10, 2012 03:20PM

Percy Harvin
Deangelo Hall
Mike Vick
Plaxico Burress
Antione Bathea
Dre Bly
Aaron Brooks
Elton Brown
Ronald Curry
Terry Kirby
Kwamie Lassiter
Jerod Mayo
Phillip Merling
Chris Slade
Al Toon
Xavier Adibi
James Anderson
Ras-I Dowling
Marques Hagans
David Macklin
Darryl Tapp
Lawrence Taylor
Mike Tomlin

Posted by: EasternVaFan ()
Date: July 10, 2012 10:16PM

People in the ER know about and have much respect for programs such as W'field and C'Ville. Having seen the NR teams play up here now, I can see why.

ER has won 4 straight D5s and 2 of the last 4 D6s, but NR from top to bottom is just as tough. The way I see it, each year NR has 2-3 teams that could win states. I used to think it was diff in D5 because of Phoebus, it's nat'l rankings and teams like Hampton when they go on streaks. However, I was at UVA last year and saw Phoebus' O struggle vs. SoCo until the 2nd half. It ended 20-10 but the diff was just 2 long pass plays. So even in D5 it's not just SB up here that can put together a tough team. In D6, you'd have to be crazy to argue that W'field, C'Ville, and a number of other NR programs can't win states. LB still doesn't have the ring, but people in ER know them and respect the program.

To the people who knock ER on academics, income, and misery indexes, all I can say is that you should live there first before you talk trash. Some of us came from nothing, played D1, served as military officers, and appreciate both regions. NR has a lot of advantages but there's temptation in every region that the players need to manage. I just like seeing good football and could care less which region does it. Even Richmond area has tough FB.

Posted by: bdogs2012 ()
Date: July 13, 2012 09:43AM

Westfield will rock again in 2012

Posted by: NovaFan1 ()
Date: July 13, 2012 07:15PM

The team with the best QB will win. Who is the best QB in the Concorde?

Posted by: Concorde Ballers ()
Date: July 13, 2012 10:28PM

The best QB in the Concorde is yet to be determined. Most of the starters this year will be first time starters. Below are the starters I know of.

Oakton: Kyle Downer SR has an offer from JMU. Would probably be pre season choice for 1st team All District

Westfield: Chris Mullins SR. Great Athlete played football & basketball last year. Injury cost him chance to battle for starting job last year

Centreville: Scott Walter JR started JV and was backup Varsity QB last year. Another good athlete playing football and baseball. Older brothers were studs for Wildcats

Chantilly: Sonny Romine SR. Started last year and is another good athlete. Play last year was spotty.

Robinson: not sure? Rams started a Sophomore early then replaced him through the season. Alot will depend on what offense Taylor decides on

Herndon: not sure? Brian Day is a good QB coach so whomever he settles on will be a good one.

Posted by: Concorde Grapes ()
Date: July 14, 2012 02:55AM

Are you going to do all positions? I request CENTER next!

Posted by: The man ()
Date: July 14, 2012 07:56AM

The Herndon QB is Ky Parrott. Good athlete. Big baseball prospect. Their program blows and Day will soon find out they won't win in the Concorde.

Chantilly's QB situation is interesting. Many believe that junior Tommy Vance is better than Sonny Romine. Every time I see Romine, he's put more and more beer weight on. getting fatter and fatter

Date: July 14, 2012 10:29AM

I didnt realize Downer was that good to warrent an offer to JMU. Westfield and Centreville have lost a lot of talent and their QB's will have to be on their game.

Posted by: steve k2 ()
Date: July 14, 2012 11:38AM

The man Wrote:
> The Herndon QB is Ky Parrott. Good athlete. Big
> baseball prospect. Their program blows and Day
> will soon find out they won't win in the Concorde.
>
>
> Chantilly's QB situation is interesting. Many
> believe that junior Tommy Vance is better than
> Sonny Romine. Every time I see Romine, he's put
> more and more beer weight on. getting fatter and
> fatter

Please, not one person thinks Tommy should start over Romine. Both are below average qb's but Romine has experience and is a third year varsity player.

Date: July 14, 2012 04:21PM

Romine seems like kind of a punk

Posted by: Dude11 ()
Date: July 14, 2012 06:06PM

Downer also has The starting backfield returning from last year, as well as an experienced offensive line. Oakton should put up points.

Posted by: chantilly football ()
Date: July 14, 2012 10:58PM

hate on my nigga sonny romine all you want. we taking the district this year.

Posted by: Chantilly BABY!! ()
Date: July 14, 2012 11:01PM

Dude11 Wrote:
> Downer also has The starting backfield returning
> from last year, as well as an experienced
> offensive line. Oakton should put up points.

who gives a fuck who Downer has. Chantilly's D was picking him off like crazy at the 7 on 7 tourney at Westfield and might I add that Chantilly won.

Posted by: Don't Deny ()
Date: July 15, 2012 01:12AM

Most people in the know says Mullins will lead Westfield to another Concorde title.

Posted by: johnhenrey ()
Date: July 15, 2012 03:01PM

Did any of the West Potomac coaching staff that was under Henderson stay with the new head coach?

Posted by: johnhenrys ()
Date: July 15, 2012 03:25PM

I think the entire defensive staff went to LEE and the offensive staff scattered or is out of jobs.

Posted by: wpfan11 ()
Date: July 15, 2012 04:51PM

The offensive staff werent very creative, they used a system they bought online play for play.With the athletes they have at WP, they should be contending every year for the region.

Posted by: calling bs ()
Date: July 15, 2012 06:13PM

Chantilly BABY!! Wrote:
> Dude11 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Downer also has The starting backfield
> returning
> > from last year, as well as an experienced
> > offensive line. Oakton should put up points.
>
>
> who gives a fuck who Downer has. Chantilly's D was
> picking him off like crazy at the 7 on 7 tourney
> at Westfield and might I add that Chantilly won.

I was there and Downer did not throw any picks and everyone involved knows that the game ended in a very controversial way

Posted by: Will Deny ()
Date: July 15, 2012 06:14PM

Don't Deny Wrote:
> Most people in the know says Mullins will lead
> Westfield to another Concorde title.

If anything Westfields offensive line will win them the title. Defense will struggle and give up lost of points

Posted by: Wildcat Fan ()
Date: July 15, 2012 08:33PM

Sad to say, C-Ville will not even be half of what they were last year.

Posted by: ConcordeRox ()
Date: July 16, 2012 07:07AM

Half of Centreville and Half of Westfield is better than most. THey both seem to have good QB's so they will be right there.

Posted by: skultula ()
Date: July 16, 2012 10:35AM

I think wpfan11 got WPs offensive staff confused with Lee, TC, Ann, Madison, Fairfax, Braddock, Hayfield, Woodson, West Springfield, South County, Centreville, Chantilly, Robinson, Herndon, Marshall, Edison, Wakefield, Stuart, Mount Vernon and Mclean.

Posted by: wpfan11 ()
Date: July 16, 2012 01:09PM

True, now that WP ditched those losers they can put in a ball control midline option offense and blow the doors open!

Instead of the over 400 yards of offense and 34 points verse westfield's number one defense watch for WP to maybe double that in the first half alone. The are going to develop super creative plays only "athletes" can run and since westfield has only "non-athletes" people will start buying the new WP system in an ironic twist!

prediction
WP 84 Westfield 9

Date: July 17, 2012 07:27AM

Westfield...non athletes? Is that how you go 12-1 and dominate all of your competition?

Posted by: Concordeparent ()
Date: July 17, 2012 08:42AM

HA non athletes...Westfield will dominate Westpo anytime, any day. Westfield is the number 1 team in the NR (Centreville #2 and Chantilly #3...no disrespect) and a top 5 team in Virginia.

One serious question for the coaches that scower these threads: As a parent who has put two kids through the program at westfield, I have noticed that during the verbanic era, he played 7-9 guys one way, with several star players going both ways. Coach Simmons now will play 11 guys one way exclusively. So there are now 22 individual starters, just like a college team.

Which approach is better for high school? Again, as a parent, I dont know the ins and outs of organizing a team, and was wondering which approach will win the most games/championships in high school.

Posted by: BDogFan1 ()
Date: July 17, 2012 11:28AM

I dont think Westfield has the talent depth this year to risk two way players. They definately have kids on both sides of the ball that can help. I think the injury risk is too high. I think its a good approach when you can risk injury and mory easily replace.

Posted by: CougCoach ()
Date: July 17, 2012 11:31AM

Concordeparent Wrote:
> HA non athletes...Westfield will dominate Westpo
> anytime, any day. Westfield is the number 1 team
> in the NR (Centreville #2 and Chantilly #3...no
> disrespect) and a top 5 team in Virginia.
>
> One serious question for the coaches that scower
> these threads: As a parent who has put two kids
> through the program at westfield, I have noticed
> that during the verbanic era, he played 7-9 guys
> one way, with several star players going both
> ways. Coach Simmons now will play 11 guys one way
> exclusively. So there are now 22 individual
> starters, just like a college team.
>
> Which approach is better for high school? Again,
> as a parent, I dont know the ins and outs of
> organizing a team, and was wondering which
> approach will win the most games/championships in
> high school.

Not sure about your lists for Top 10.... but wanted to answer your question concerning approaches to 2 way players.

2 way players are a standard for most HS programs. Some schools are lucky enough to have the numbers and talent to have 2 full squads of 1 way players. Even those schools will play certain skill kids at positions that allow them to help the team. Westfield in the past has had the numbers and talent to play 2 full squads, I think that may be different this year as we see the talent falling off at Westfield. I think you may see more 2 way players than you have ever at Westfield this year.

Posted by: Goron ()
Date: July 17, 2012 01:01PM

I heard Centreville is only going to carry 11 players on the roster to make some kind of old school iron man football point!

Posted by: concordeparent ()
Date: July 17, 2012 02:01PM

Thanks for the input everyone. If Westfield will carry a bunch of 2 way players, they are forced to win on that talent and good coaching?

Do you guys think Westfields offense/defense is capable of winning a championship? Over the past 2 years, just as a dad sitting in the stands, ive seen perhaps the best defense in the region, but an offense that can be stagnant, inefficient, as well as not putting the ball in the best players hands.

Looking at the oakton offense, they get alot of different players involved.

Centreville runs an extremely smooth offense that makes players overachieve.

Do the bulldogs need a little overhaul? thanks for all the input!

Posted by: wildcatcoach ()
Date: July 17, 2012 02:09PM

First of all, @Goron: We play the best 11 at Centreville. We played the best 11 at fairfax. It worked then and it works now. We won the region. So your little sarcastic point is irrelevant. maybe your team should try some old school stuff sometime.

second, thanks for the compliment @concordeparent. weve worked really hard to develop our offense at centreville and I personally believe the wing t, along with adding a pro style passing game is the best fit for high school kids.

Posted by: Rams2012 ()
Date: July 17, 2012 03:45PM

I think Westfield has some personnel at key positions on offense that will show some different looks than in past years. I expect some changes

Date: July 17, 2012 05:10PM

I think the Concorde is going to be extremely competitive this year, no one is that much better than the other....Herndon aside....but with Coach Day there, it is only a matter of time before they are another tough game on the schedule.

Posted by: Reality ()
Date: July 19, 2012 11:50AM

This has become the defacto High School football forum on FU! Better posters and good info, I hope we can keep it up!

Posted by: va preps? ()
Date: July 19, 2012 12:18PM

I think we can all agree Westfield will have a good team but in the latest VA preps rankings they were ranked 3 in the state. Braddock was 10. And teams thought to be contending for the district over Westfield, Chantilly and Oakton, were not included. In the post it does say that they could be ranked high do to past success. I feel it is a very lofty ranking that will be nearly impossible for them to live up to. Thoughts?

Posted by: who is vapreps? ()
Date: July 19, 2012 06:48PM

I would not put much stock in VaPreps. It's a website. It's not like they've sent armies of journalists/scouts to each school to evaluate the talent. I doubt their methodology is all that rigorous. Frankly, I would not want my team to be ranked pre-season as all it does is put a big target on your back.

As for WF being ranked 3rd after graduating 40 seniors. . . .that's a stretch - which the author kinda admits in his piece about WF.

What matters (obviously) are the actual games, not what any of us say in July.

Posted by: Nova Football ()
Date: July 20, 2012 01:30AM

top ten list for northern region d6?

1 centerville
2 lake braddock
3 westfield
4 chantilly
5 Robinson
6 West Springfield
7 T.C. Williams
8 Oakton
9 West Pot
10 Edison

Date: July 20, 2012 07:12AM

Centreville #1...I dont think so.. Give it to LB.

Posted by: ConcordeSwag ()
Date: July 20, 2012 07:20PM

Cville should be behind Robinson

Date: July 21, 2012 01:14PM

why is everyone anointing Braddock to be better then Centreville already? We beat them twice last season, they got a flashy "D1" QB (we will see, his technique and decision making are very questionable) well, we beat him too.

Posted by: Random Dude ()
Date: July 21, 2012 03:46PM

Nova Football Wrote:
> top ten list for northern region d6?
>
> 1 centerville
> 2 lake braddock
> 3 westfield
> 4 chantilly
> 5 Robinson
> 6 West Springfield
> 7 T.C. Williams
> 8 Oakton
> 9 West Pot
> 10 Edison

Edison is D-5

Date: July 21, 2012 09:38PM

wildcatcoach Wrote:
> why is everyone anointing Braddock to be better
> then Centreville already? We beat them twice last
> season, they got a flashy "D1" QB (we will see,
> his technique and decision making are very
> questionable) well, we beat him too.

People in ER have a lot of respect for teams from NR, esp. for Centreville and Westfield. LB was tough a few years ago, but even those teams didn't title. Lately, LB has struggled vs. top teams in NR. That's no shame, since you have 2-3 teams every year that can win states. It would take a big turnaround for LB to win NR. Even if they do, teams like Salem will be waiting. Last year, Salem took O. Smith to the wire in a 35-34 loss in ER final when Smith stopped a two-point conversion. Salem's QB, Bucky Hodges (6'6, 220, Tech-bound) returns and is why people in ER don't bow to LB's QB just yet.

Posted by: FootballSEC1 ()
Date: July 21, 2012 10:08PM

Saw Kenton (Ohio) beat Friendship for the title at Coolidge today. It was the third time they played in the tournament and all three were close. Was hoping to see LB but they got elimined earlier. Yorktown was still playing late but got nipped by Paint Branch. Can't wait for real FB to start.

Posted by: justsayindoe ()
Date: July 21, 2012 11:16PM

WOW! cville had 2 good seasons because they had starters who played varsity since freshman year. their run is over. that was a dream team. they will go back to being 3rd or 4th in the divison.. who do they have besides Martey?!

Date: July 22, 2012 10:37AM

So are we forgetting about the early 2000s and Centrevilles state championship? People on here are ridiculous sometimes...the school is big enough that playmakers will emerge.

Posted by: dondongo ()
Date: July 22, 2012 12:00PM

Exactly! The LB QB is such a flop that Michigan made him their top QB prospect as a ploy to fool the other big time schools into recruiting him! I knew Cville was ahead of the curve..they must have figured this out before anyone!

Posted by: WHS2011 ()
Date: July 22, 2012 12:32PM

I have one qualm with the top ten list. How is Lake Braddock supposed to be ranked at the top? I get that they had a lot of kids transfer out there, however these kids have never played together so what makes you assume that they are going to get out of camp? I'd pick any team that has been together for two maybe even three years any day over a team of as was previously said "mercenaries". And since I can't help myself, LET'S GO WESTFIELD!

Posted by: Denny Green ()
Date: July 22, 2012 01:54PM

Its funny how no one in the LB camp is "Crowning" them as the representative from the NR. All that hype is coming from outsiders (other schools, VA Preps, people posting on FUG) that figure that since Henderson transfered. (BTW everyone keeps talking about ALL the transferes, it was two, the two Henderson brothers, people talking like there was six or seven kids that came over) LB still lost some seniors that were key in the success that they had last year. 7-5 isn't bad considering their schedule. The only let down was the loss to Robinson, which is their biggest rival, and they took them lightly, Robinson made them pay. The other losses were to teams that found their way to the regional finals and two of them to the final game of the year.

This group on the skill side will have its work cut out for them. From what I have seen, the QB needs a lot of work, sure he put up numbers last year with much better athletes at WP. Right now he is not on the same page with the crew he's got this year. In fact, at times, I've seen the back up look better. I don't know if it was the rain yesterday (which is no excuse) but balls were sailing over receivers heads way too often with guys open. After going 4-0 in pool play and scoring the most points on day one, they at times looked like a JV team as bracket play began. There appears to be some wholes in the defense also.

Lets all be realistic here, while this is just 7 on 7, LB uses it as practice, as all teams do, but they have some work to do before Cville week one and Westfield week three. With adding the QB, preps and people on here have assumed that they were going to instantly be better, but no games are won on a message board. No one in the LB program is Crowning themselves as the champs in the region. They will make a run at it each week, just like the other teams in the region. Right now Cville whether losing guys or not have to be favorites to defend, and Westfield always has a solid program that will have them in contention. Those two have to be favorites and there is some talk with Oakton also, their QB can play also.

Its going to be an interesting year, and the guy above is right, whoever comes out of the region will have Salem or O. Smith making the trip up to take them on.

A lot of hate for the Purple and Gold!

Date: July 22, 2012 04:06PM

Yes, the point I'm trying to make is that NR has 2-3 teams every year that could win it all. C'Ville, Robinson, LB and W'field won states or made serious runs since 2000. So ER players, coaches and fans know that whoever comes out of NR will be tough. Last year, O. Smith's senior-laden team was well aware of C'Ville's D. That's why they ran so many backside screens. If C'Ville's D star had not gotten hurt in Q1, we'd have seen a diff game.

All I'm saying is that NR bring it every year. Same for the D5 game last year. SoCo shutdown Phoebus' run and was 10-10 in Q3 but Deloach came up with a few clutch catches just like he did in 2010.

Posted by: oucharoo ()
Date: July 22, 2012 04:48PM

Now Lake Braddock's own 7-7 coaches are getting on here talking trash on their own QB. I have a feeling this doesn't go on at Westfield and Centreville.

Posted by: The Major ()
Date: July 22, 2012 06:27PM

Please don't forget about Mount Vernon football, and master coach Barry Wells.

Posted by: hostileprophet ()
Date: July 23, 2012 04:36AM

The best coach at Centreville is Brian Shearer the Head Freshman coach.

Posted by: Cvillebacker ()
Date: July 23, 2012 11:19AM

justsayindoe Wrote:
> WOW! cville had 2 good seasons because they had
> starters who played varsity since freshman year.
> their run is over. that was a dream team. they
> will go back to being 3rd or 4th in the divison..
> who do they have besides Martey?!

Centreville had an awesome set of Seniors that led the re-emergence of the Centreville football program. Headed by Coach Haddock and his talented staff Centreville will continue to compete and WIN in the toughest district in the state.

Centreville has had 2 back to back undefeated and Concorde District Champion Freshman teams in the last 2 years. If you do not think that means anything than you do not know High School football. Players from these teams are now taking their spots on the Varsity squad. Sophmores and Juniors will be counted on to start and play well.

You mention Christian Martey, who everyone will know this year at Running Back. The offensive line returns a majority of the Starters from last year including Josh Smith, Brendan Willis, Joey Steinbach and Antonio Choi. Skill players will include Chase Heiner, AJ Turner (another future superstar running back only a Sophomore) David Newell, Charles Tutt, Ryan Vieregger, Andre Blaski and Andrew Kurowski. Jimmy Nicholas and David Liddle will be TE. QB will be Scott Walter.

Defensively the Wildcats have fewer returning starters but some studs from the younger teams. Connor Howell is a returning starter on the D Line. Alot of the O line will spend some time on the D line. Greg Austin, Gus Simpao, Tyler Love, Logan Wakfield will be LBs. Kris Watson, Kyle Cannon and other Offensive skill guys will play in the D backfield. All in all Cville will be a much different team at the end of the year than the beginning of the year, as the younger players learn the speed and intensity of Varsity play.

Date: July 23, 2012 06:50PM

Cvillebacker Wrote:
> justsayindoe Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > WOW! cville had 2 good seasons because they had
> > starters who played varsity since freshman
> year.
> > their run is over. that was a dream team. they
> > will go back to being 3rd or 4th in the
> divison..
> > who do they have besides Martey?!
>
>
> Centreville had an awesome set of Seniors that led
> the re-emergence of the Centreville football
> program. Headed by Coach Haddock and his talented
> staff Centreville will continue to compete and WIN
> in the toughest district in the state.
>
> Centreville has had 2 back to back undefeated and
> Concorde District Champion Freshman teams in the
> last 2 years. If you do not think that means
> anything than you do not know High School
> football. Players from these teams are now taking
> their spots on the Varsity squad. Sophmores and
> Juniors will be counted on to start and play well.
>
>
> You mention Christian Martey, who everyone will
> know this year at Running Back. The offensive
> line returns a majority of the Starters from last
> year including Josh Smith, Brendan Willis, Joey
> Steinbach and Antonio Choi. Skill players will
> include Chase Heiner, AJ Turner (another future
> superstar running back only a Sophomore) David
> Newell, Charles Tutt, Ryan Vieregger, Andre Blaski
> and Andrew Kurowski. Jimmy Nicholas and David
> Liddle will be TE. QB will be Scott Walter.
>
> Defensively the Wildcats have fewer returning
> starters but some studs from the younger teams.
> Connor Howell is a returning starter on the D
> Line. Alot of the O line will spend some time on
> the D line. Greg Austin, Gus Simpao, Tyler Love,
> Logan Wakfield will be LBs. Kris Watson, Kyle
> Cannon and other Offensive skill guys will play in
> the D backfield. All in all Cville will be a much
> different team at the end of the year than the
> beginning of the year, as the younger players
> learn the speed and intensity of Varsity play.

Chantilly, Westfield, and Oakton WILL run all over the wildcats, no question.

Posted by: northern region follower ()
Date: July 23, 2012 07:02PM

I know a few teams from the NR played in a 7on7 tourney this past weekend. Now, I know 7on7 doesn't mean a whole lot, but I am curious. I know Westfield doesn't have a whole lot coming back, LB has a great qb along with a few other returning starters, and Oakton has a pretty good qb of their own... were there any other notable players on any of these teams?

Posted by: 7on ()
Date: July 24, 2012 12:20PM

I am an Oakton parent so I mostly saw Oakton's games but was able to catch a few others as well. Oakton did the best out of all local teams. I discount Yorktown because the way they play 7 on 7 does not in any way reflect their actual offense in any way.
Going into day 2 Braddock was the number 1 overall seed before dropping 2 games eventually losing to St. Francis. People should back off on their high expectations of braddock, because I did not see alot out of Henderson. Their receiver a sophomore, put on an amazing performance in the Lake Braddock, Oakton game on the first day.

Westfield struggled all week and failed to score from the 1 yard line on 8 consecutive plays (were given first down after pass interference on 4th). Westfield lost to Lee high school, in the very next game Oakton beat Lee 33-1.

Woodbridge put up a good run until they were bounced by Oakton late in the tournament something like 23-3. Their cornerback Everett, committed to Duke, is one hell of a ball player and their defensive end looks like a 24 year old man.

Oakton had a terrific Saturday before losing to a talented team. with 10 seconds to go Downer rolled out right before throwing a 50 yard bomb on a line back to Boone to put themselves down by one before missing the extra point.Oakton did well for missing two offensive and three defensive starters. Kyle wowed me at this tournament with his arm strength and vision. The team does not have loads of athleticism but got the job done.

I do not believe 7 on 7 directly translates to real football. Though I do think you can spot talented players and get an idea of how a team could preform. I got an idea of the team chemistry and think that Braddock is lacking it. After every bad play they would yell at each other or with coaches

Posted by: wildest cat ()
Date: July 24, 2012 01:45PM

If LB is as bad as you say and Oakton lost to them then maybe this is going to be Centreville's year once again!

Posted by: wake up ()
Date: July 24, 2012 03:18PM

If one more person comes on here talking about how great there 7 on 7 team is. Oakton should be a good team, not because they can play 7 on 7 or not but because they have good lineman, a good rb, a good qb, and a couple descent receivers and db's. Yorktown has a very good rb but still play in a week district and can not beat stonebridge this year(SOCO last yr) when they make it to post season which they will. 7 on 7 is not real football.

Posted by: GridIron1 ()
Date: July 24, 2012 07:27PM

wake up Wrote:
> If one more person comes on here talking about how
> great there 7 on 7 team is. Oakton should be a
> good team, not because they can play 7 on 7 or not
> but because they have good lineman, a good rb, a
> good qb, and a couple descent receivers and db's.
> Yorktown has a very good rb but still play in a
> week district and can not beat stonebridge this
> year(SOCO last yr) when they make it to post
> season which they will. 7 on 7 is not real
> football.

WAKE UP: Agreed that PL is not real FB, but Yorktown is ok for a local D5. Over 2 years, they're 21-3, losing to state finalists SoCo (D5) and C'Ville (D6) and rival WL. SoCo beat SB and gave Phoebus a good game at UVA. SB is always tough and has 2 on ESPN's top 100. Who knows if any D5 will beat them? Yorktown's sched hurts, but a few teams on it were ok. Hayfield shutout SoCo and McLean made playoffs from SBs district -- but both lost to Yorktown. Phoebus rules D5 with 4 straight titles but maybe SB takes it back this year.

Date: July 24, 2012 09:13PM

7on Wrote:
> I am an Oakton parent so I mostly saw Oakton's
> games but was able to catch a few others as well.
> Oakton did the best out of all local teams. I
> discount Yorktown because the way they play 7 on 7
> does not in any way reflect their actual offense
> in any way.

At Coolidge, the best local team was Friendship, which came within 1 play of beating Kenton (OH) in the final. Oakton looked good, but don't know how you can write that they did the best of the local teams. They went 1-2-1 on day 1, didn't make the semis on day 2. Not sure who the best VA team was, but Yorktown beat Oakton and previously unbeaten McDonough and was playing late in the quarterfinals. PL is not FB, for sure.

Posted by: Random Dude ()
Date: July 24, 2012 10:53PM

I know it's only 7 on 7, but Kenton winning this tournament certainly says something about football in Ohio. Kenton is less than half the size of the smallest FCPS high school and yet they travel out to Maryland and walk out with the championship.

Posted by: 7onwhat? ()
Date: July 24, 2012 11:03PM

"Westfield struggled all week and failed to score from the 1 yard line on 8 consecutive plays (were given first down after pass interference on 4th). Westfield lost to Lee high school, in the very next game Oakton beat Lee 33-1."

Westfield and any other team will run it down your throat from the one yard line and not to try to pass in a congested space to score. This is why 7on7 is no indication of anything.....

Date: July 25, 2012 08:49AM

Totally agree about Kenton. They went 14-1 last year, losing in the D4 title game. Last year's QB (now at Missouri) passed for over 17,000 yards in his career, breaking his older brother's nat'l record. Kenton has a storied tradition of passing, but also brought a stingy D to Coolidge.

Link to last year's 14-1 team:
http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/football/tag/_/name/kenton-ohio

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: July 25, 2012 11:35AM

"Man, I qidh I could go back in time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxN9Mw6iQUs

Date: July 25, 2012 12:27PM

wake up Wrote:
> If one more person comes on here talking about how
> great there 7 on 7 team is. Oakton should be a
> good team, not because they can play 7 on 7 or not
> but because they have good lineman, a good rb, a
> good qb, and a couple descent receivers and db's.
> Yorktown has a very good rb but still play in a
> week district and can not beat stonebridge this
> year(SOCO last yr) when they make it to post
> season which they will. 7 on 7 is not real
> football.

Wake Up: Yeah, passing league isn't FB, but don't talk about weak scheds and leave out SB. SB had 10 wins last year, 8 vs. Langley (twice,), Madison, S. Lakes, TJ, Madison, McLean, and FFX. SB had 1 quality win, coming back early in the year from 24-0 to beat Broad Run in OT. SB is a great program, but their district is like Yorktown's. You have a few tough games, but the district sched is pretty easy. As for SoCo, their D was awesome at year-end and they kept Phoebus in check most of the time at UVA. Lots of seniors on that team so let's see what happens this year. In d5, it could be that the Peninsula District's sched (hampton, phoebus, etc.) gets those teams ready for post-season like the D6 NR does up here.

Posted by: BMD ()
Date: July 25, 2012 04:04PM

I'd leave Robinson out of any of these conversations. When Mark Bendorf left and Robinson was forced to hire Trey Taylor (best of only 5 applicants - according to the principal), Robinson started on a steady descent and hasn't hit rock bottom yet. Pulling from the largest student body in the state, Taylor ran a slow paced offense and stumbled into a playoff slot, despite a 5-6 record. He systematically ignored parent concerns regarding safety and blamed shortcomings on his assistant coaches. A number of families left taking with them some of the best rising juniors in the area. If Taylor still has a job after the 2012 season, it will be a miracle.

Posted by: VT1984 ()
Date: July 25, 2012 05:02PM

northern region follower Wrote:
> I know a few teams from the NR played in a 7on7
> tourney this past weekend. Now, I know 7on7
> doesn't mean a whole lot, but I am curious. I
> know Westfield doesn't have a whole lot coming
> back, LB has a great qb along with a few other
> returning starters, and Oakton has a pretty good
> qb of their own... were there any other notable
> players on any of these teams?

From LB- QB (Henderson, multiple offers) was very good, reciever (i believe he's a rising soph) is a beast. Also had a pretty good LB (Hoskins) and another safety that looked pretty solid.

From Oakton- QB (Downer) was also very good, They had a very quick reciever (Boone) that also played DB. A couple of decent WRs as well.

From WHS- QB (Mullins) not as good as first two named, but still very very solid. Had 1 pretty good WR and I believe they were short on RBs and WRs. Also very good secondary.

Again, 7on7 means virtually nothing and likely has no indication on how these teams will be come August, but it looks as if the Northern Region is certainly up for grabs this year.

Posted by: cvillebacker ()
Date: July 26, 2012 05:40PM

Centreville Field FINALLY being dug up for Turf to be put in. Hopefully in time for the Centreville vs. Lake Braddock game on 8/31/12. Should be a good one, first look at the Lake Braddock Mercenaries vs. The Wildcats.

Posted by: oscarsmith ()
Date: July 26, 2012 07:12PM

I didn't know Romine was black?

Posted by: lovesconcordefootball ()
Date: July 26, 2012 11:52PM

One statement I have not seen on the discussion about ER compared to NR. How do ER teams like Phoebus and OS stay as powerful, year after year, making states or Regional Finals? I may not fully understand the ER academic rules but if I understand even partially, the ER local students can pick schools in their area (surely based on academics) while Fairfax Counties are very strict. Had Westfield had Conner Coward, Manny Smith, Ken Ekanum and/or Chase Walter or Centreville had Mo Katz, Quentin Basil, Kendall Anderson, (and a healthy Ken Ekanum and Travis Whitney), the outcome would have been completely different. I have not even included if either could have added Chantilly players been to the mix......

While I believe either Westfield or Centreville's chances of making the Northern Regional Finals this season are significantly less, but not impossible, compared to 2011, they are both gearing up for strong 2013 and 2014 seasons. I will say the Centreville's coaching staff Varsity to Freshman are phenomenal and know how to work with the players and build teams while a new Westfield's coaching staff turned a what seemed to be an underachieving 2010 team around in 2011. Compared to the coaching prior to Coach Haddock's hiring, kids left in droves in their Sophomore and Junior years. The retention rate for last years players and the size of the incoming freshman in C'Ville look to be very promising going forward.

Posted by: 7on7 observer ()
Date: July 27, 2012 12:41PM

Yes, PL's are not real football. But it allows teams to gain their respect in the passing game. Westfield looked good except for the friendship game. Yorktown impressed with a lot of wins. Oakton went 1-2-1 on the first day but both of their losses were by one point. Oakton qb looked good towards the end after a shaky start. Oaktons loss to LB grabbed a lot of people's attention because oakton was not supposed to have a chance. The LB reciever had 2 great touchdowns grabs but the fly route was the only route that he had a catch on all game. Oakton scored with ease with their offensive depth. Oakton had a big TE who was very good along with a shorter WR. They also had 2 good runnin backs that contributed along with 2 quick DB's used in the slot.

I would have loved to have seen the cougars take on the mighty bulldogs but I guess we will have to wait until the season.

Posted by: WCAC ()
Date: July 27, 2012 01:12PM

All about the WCAC

Posted by: vinny ()
Date: July 27, 2012 03:52PM

First, the WCAC is a semi-pro league. Comparing that conf to the NR public schools is apples to oranges.

As for the NR generally, under the theory that no team can throw the ball 45 times a game, which teams are returning dominant running attacks? Especially in the Concorde, the ability to pound the defense with a smash mouth running attack will be important in the late October/early November games. Two great RBs graduated this year in Manny Smith of Centerville and Kendall Anderson of Westfield. Which teams return strong running attacks?

Date: July 27, 2012 03:58PM

All star coaching staff that we ran/passed all over. Please, passing game? You guys up there are so far behing the times you think it's still the 1970's
even Delaware got rid of the wing T!

Date: July 27, 2012 04:02PM

Posted by: chantilly football ()

Date: July 14, 2012 10:58PM

hate on my nigga sonny romine all you want. we taking the district this year
I still didn't know Romine was Black?

Posted by: to oscar smith ()
Date: July 27, 2012 04:14PM

We may be behind the times, but at least we can speak and write in English. How's plantation life treating you?

Posted by: lookingback ()
Date: July 27, 2012 04:35PM

oscarsmith Wrote:
> All star coaching staff that we ran/passed all
> over. Please, passing game? You guys up there are
> so far behing the times you think it's still the
> 1970's
> even Delaware got rid of the wing T!

Like the first poster put it had Cville had all their weapons, the game would have been alot more competitive. Also as a poster noted the rules of engagement here in the Northern Region versus the ER are completely different. We here in the Northern Region follow the rules and transfers are few and far between because you have to actually move to get into a new school (well except Lake Braddock). Not like the Beach area where all you have to do is provide your own ride or pretend to move in with your Uncle Ray Ray. Even with the ER not following the VHSL rules the Northern Region has won the lion share of State Championships at the largest divison D6 football.

Date: July 27, 2012 06:05PM

I'm from ER, live in NR, and love the FB in both regions. Concorde alone has 2-3 teams capable of winning D6 every year. W'field and C'Ville are recent examples. Before that, you had LB, Oakton, Robinson and Chantilly. Both NR and ER have talent, coaches and rivalries. O. Smith has won 2 of the past 5 but W'field had a couple, too. Smith's win last year at UVA would have been MUCH closer if C'Ville's D star hadn't gotten hurt in Q1 He was a beast and C'Ville's blitz was why Smith had to run so many backside screens. In D5, Phoebus has won 5 of 6 and Hampton is often tough. Yet SB is always tough on both sides of the ball and SoCo's D was insane last year and took Phoebus to the wire at UVA. Then you have teams like Yorktown that have never won but are now putting speed on the field that equals anything ER has. I'll still go see Phoebus and Hampton every now and then, but this fall I'm planning to catch a dif NR game every week. I'm just starting to look at scheds and am trying to figure of where to be.

Posted by: Real Estate ()
Date: July 27, 2012 06:23PM

Who ever attended LB that didn't move? Zanellato moved. The Henderson's moved. If you are a QB or a WR where else would you want to play? Parents choose to move.Spreading rumors without a grain of truth is wrong. I guess you follow the crowd like many on this board.

Pages: 12345678910AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 10

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.