HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
My friend got a DUI on Thanksgiving. What can she expect?
Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: November 28, 2005 02:18PM

My friend went to a dinner on Thanksgiving and was arrested in Centerville for a DUI. They took her to a holding tank for two hours and took her license. She told me this is her first traffic offense, ( not true- I checked here. She has a speeding ticket a year ago!) Most likely what will happen when she goes to court in February. Should she get an attorney? Should she contest the results? She keeps asking me and I have no idea.

Trickie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My friend got a DUI on Thanksgiving. What can she expect?
Posted by: PaperPusher ()
Date: November 28, 2005 03:53PM

get a lawyer, feed the system. you're not the lawyer, let the lawyer give the advice.

Posted by: Price ()
Date: November 28, 2005 04:43PM

Get a laywer. For FFX county, I'd recommend www.albo-oblon.com. It won't be cheap, but will save you $$ in a long run (insurance, fines, etc.)

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: November 28, 2005 07:57PM

I recommend Corrine Magee, attorney

She did some good work for me in the past (not DUI for me, I don't drink), and if you look her name up on yahoo, you'll see she is now moderately nationally famous for her vigorous DUI/DWI defenses. She is now based in McLean.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: November 28, 2005 08:14PM

If all else fails plea it out. Most likely they won't want to take it to trial because there's usually always a shortage of courtrooms and they'd rather not pay jurors/judge/bailiffs/court reporter/prosecutor/possible public defender for a simple DUI and would rather reserve the courts and personnel for more serious offences. Most likely they will put her in some kind of diversion education program as part of the plea if they were to do it. I don't know how backed up Fairfax county courts are or are not and if they do take DUI to trial here. In CA you don't need an attorney to do a plea, but many attorneys are friends w/ DAs and get better deals. I think I heard that VA requires counsel though to get a plea not sure.

Date: November 28, 2005 08:29PM

trust me, they have no such qualms. It may help to know what she blew on the breath machine.

they'll take it trial if you don't accept disposition/diversion, and it would need to be her first time with no aggravating circumstances, hell maybe even if there are.

Get a lawyer. http://www.lawyers.com/duiva/jsp2202871.jsp is Ms Magee's site...

and if it comes to doing a plea, you MUST have a lawyer in FFX COUNTY courts because the prosecutors here won't talk to you at all.... but the disposition angle does not require one unless things have changed in the past couple years.

the speeding ticket from last year probably won't play in all that much, esp. if it's her first time and she takes the disposition (which is probation with a fancy name and lots of "classes" and fees).

Hope the dumb bitch learns her lesson. Drunk drivers are assholes.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: November 28, 2005 08:42PM

Here is a link regarding first-time DUI offenses:

http://www.dui.com/states/virginia/

If they didn't haul her off to jail immediately for at least five days, my guess is she didn't test over .20.

Definitely get a lawyer because a conviction for a first-time offense = 1 year revoked license.

And even if it costs a few grand for the lawyer (I have no idea how much it costs), that is cheaper than having to take a taxi every day to work, plus have your auto insurance either dropped or go through the roof.

It is a good idea to establish rules for oneself... my personal one is to estimate how long I plan to be at a place. No more than one drink per hour I plan on being there. If I end up staying longer, alternate water and one drink each additional hour. That works for my body type but may not for others. Print this http://www.health.org/nongovpubs/bac-chart/ and stick it in your wallet/purse. Another helpful one is here http://www.stopdwi.com/bac.html.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2005 08:53PM by pgens.

Posted by: Death is a Tax ()
Date: November 28, 2005 09:05PM

good advice pgens

Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: November 28, 2005 09:43PM

Dont you just get the pink restricted license if it gets "revoked?" Meaning you can only drive to and from work? One of my idiot friends has one after getting busted twice.

Date: November 28, 2005 09:54PM

I think it's up to the judge

Date: November 28, 2005 10:58PM

Apparently not anymore (as of July 1 2005) but who knows. If the idiot friend got his second conviction before July that may explain it. Personally I think a mandatory 1-year revoked license, while fair, may only encourage judges to not convict if they think the punishment isn't justified in many cases. If you are DUI'd after speeding or weaving or doing something dangerous I can see the harsher sentence. But if you are coming from a place two miles from where you live at 1a, you were driving straight and just got caught in one of their checkpoints it's a little harsh to revoke a license for a year on first offense.

Yeah I know, someone will post and say "tell that to my dead daughter who was killed by a first-time offender"... anything can happen and there is no "safe" drunk driving. How about talking on a cell phone and observed weaving or braking too late gets a one-year revoked license?

Posted by: Death is a Tax ()
Date: November 28, 2005 11:14PM

who we really need to be going after are all these drunk hydrofoilers, those things kill manj

Posted by: Bballr ()
Date: November 29, 2005 12:19PM

My friend was driving drunk, he is underage, and he got over for talking to people on the sidewalk. The cop said, "we thought you could be causing trouble."
Three other people were in the car, they have also been drinking. But the only person who got in trouble was my friend, the driver. And he only got a ciatation for drunk in public. Lucky. But I guess the cops had no real reason to pull him over.

Posted by: qwert ()
Date: November 29, 2005 12:35PM

If he had stopped and was observed talking to people, then the cop probably didn't observe him driving and could only charge DIP.

Date: November 29, 2005 01:14PM

Was he talking to the people with the keys in the ignition and the car turned on? He's lucky he didn't get DUI, those are grounds...

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: November 29, 2005 03:48PM

how about you just shoot her in the fucking head for being a dumbass.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: darbrewe ()
Date: November 29, 2005 04:25PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2015 02:16PM by darbrewe.

Posted by: Ted Schlamme ()
Date: November 29, 2005 07:06PM

I would assume you are thinking of your mother as the example when you say that....

Posted by: Bballr ()
Date: November 30, 2005 12:58AM

my friend was creeping, just slowed down and was rolling along, and he only got drunk in public.

Posted by: darbrewe ()
Date: December 01, 2005 02:17PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2015 04:16AM by darbrewe.

Posted by: SRE ()
Date: December 01, 2005 03:01PM

don't we all?

Date: December 01, 2005 04:47PM

no, I was being dead serious

her face and her twat spend so much time on dick that it's hard to tell them apart.

you should be proud.

Date: December 01, 2005 04:48PM

but, way to take days to reply, I'm sure you stayed up every single night thinkin' it over, thinkin' it over, and falling asleep in your chair, and decided last night, "I'ma gettem' tomorrow afternoon! I'ma gettem'!"

Posted by: Ray Ray ()
Date: December 01, 2005 07:24PM

TRICKIE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My friend went to a dinner on Thanksgiving and was
> arrested in Centerville for a DUI. They took her
> to a holding tank for two hours and took her
> license. She told me this is her first traffic
> offense, ( not true- I checked here. She has a
> speeding ticket a year ago!) Most likely what
> will happen when she goes to court in February.
> Should she get an attorney? Should she contest
> the results? She keeps asking me and I have no
> idea.
>
> Trickie

Your friend shouldn't be breaking the law. suppose her drunk ass hit and killed someone. My wife was hit and killed by a drunk driver. he got 1 year. She lost her life. I hope they make an example of your friend.

Date: December 01, 2005 07:38PM

I say we let Ray Ray flog the dumb bitch

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: December 02, 2005 12:53AM

hey, if you are going to be floging, you might as well go all out with some BDSM gear. she has clearly been a bad girl and needs to be disciplined.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: ex-friend ()
Date: November 19, 2008 06:33PM

wow, thanks for posting my business online..

Posted by: Otis Campbell ()
Date: November 19, 2008 06:52PM

Ray Ray Wrote:
> Your friend shouldn't be breaking the law. suppose
> her drunk ass hit and killed someone. My wife was
> hit and killed by a drunk driver. he got 1 year.
> She lost her life. I hope they make an example of
> your friend.

Yes, because if she was killed by a sober driver it would be ok.

Was the driver obeying all traffic laws? I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the driver had a history of breaking the law.

Date: November 19, 2008 07:04PM

ex-friend Wrote:
> wow, thanks for posting my business online..

Wow, way to bring it up by bumping a 3-year old thread and bringing it to everyone's attention.

Posted by: 0909 ()
Date: November 22, 2008 02:22PM

She gonna get fucked by a big turkey

Posted by: Price ()
Date: November 22, 2008 08:22PM

Based on my recent observations while visitinf the US Court in Alexandria, DUI gets you 1 yr probation and 6 months of suspended license (or is it called restricted? - you can drive to/from work only).

Posted by: Awakened ()
Date: November 22, 2008 08:45PM

0909 Wrote:
> She gonna get fucked by a big turkey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6bO4N7ZDE8

Posted by: mufman ()
Date: December 06, 2008 05:53PM

Suppose that she drove down the road and nothing happened? While nobody can be for "drunk driving" MADD has successfully brainwashed everyone. They have used the political aspirations of our legislators to impose a limit that doesn't effect a drivers ability to the extent of recklessness, And imposed draconian punishments on people for a crime that doesn't require any harm to come to anybody.

There are risks involved in everything that a person does. You can put people at risk of serious bodily harm by serving undercooked meat, even at their request.

Im just saying, be careful when you start throwing people under the bus when they get pinched for a DUI. They probably didn't hurt anyone. If they did that is another story. Secondly, they might not be guilty. Unfortunately a good expensive attorney is the only way to be found anything but guilty because the unconstitutional laws don't provide for a presumption of innocence. Just google "intoxilyzer" which is the shit machine VA uses. It is far from an accurate reliable way to test a subject.

Posted by: HonestlyPeople ()
Date: December 07, 2008 06:39PM

I second that. Our judicial system does not always work as it was meant to. Having a good lawyer in your corner is your best bet. We found Thaddeus Furlong at the Bose Law Firm. He's a former Police Ofcr, and now an excellent litigator.
My husband overheard some women talking about his reputation on the Metro one day, they said his work was excellent. When our daughter was pulled over, we felt that the cop was in error. So, we hired Mr. Furlong. We were very pleased with the outcome of our case. He's a very good attorney.

Posted by: Nice Friend ()
Date: December 08, 2008 09:07AM

Drives drunk and while asking you for help lies in the process. Maybe for Christmas she can light your house on fire after stealing your wallet and shooting your dog.

Posted by: alice1 ()
Date: April 22, 2017 01:44AM

Hello,
She should consult hired some better attorney or lawyer , so she get some better advice.
For further information.
He can contact here .
https://www.adaptiveskills.com/

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.