HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
American flag disposal
Posted by: Mattymatt ()
Date: July 05, 2012 11:00PM

I understand that you are supposed to honorably destroy an American flag once it is no longer in condition to be raised, I guess by burning it. I have one on my hands that fits the bill, does anyone know anywhere local in Fairfax that I can take it?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: American flag disposal
Posted by: Ito ()
Date: July 05, 2012 11:06PM

Its a piece of cloth. Dispose of it as you will. Its not like you're burning it in the street as protest.

Unless of course you are worried that Abraham Lincoln will get angry and strangle you in your sleep.

Posted by: Random Dude ()
Date: July 05, 2012 11:09PM

Check some of your local grocery stores - a local boy scout troop has a collection bin in the Burke Centre Giant for the proper disposal of flags.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2012 11:10PM by Random Dude.

Posted by: Meowch ()
Date: July 05, 2012 11:18PM

Check with The American Legion. Some of them have collection bins.

Posted by: Mattymatt ()
Date: July 06, 2012 12:28AM

Thanks for the answers - I know it's not something I legally HAVE to do, it's something I'd LIKE to do.

Posted by: itchy ()
Date: July 06, 2012 01:39AM

Nice to know some people actually respect our flag.

Posted by: quick answer ()
Date: July 06, 2012 03:35AM

Old worn flags should be burned. Any liberal democrat will be happy to assist you with that.

Posted by: meh ()
Date: July 06, 2012 05:04AM

I think it's called a trash can, or recycle bin. Give it to some homeless guy to use as a blanket.

No reason to burn it unless you're some retard living in the past.

Posted by: Fairfax Somalian ()
Date: July 06, 2012 05:14AM

Where can you dispose a flag somalia over used from the somalia independence day celebration?

Posted by: respectingflag ()
Date: July 06, 2012 05:23AM

Ace hardware in centreville has a container right inside the door for them. Saying our flag is just cloth is like saying our Constitution is just paper though sadly neither is surprising these days.

Posted by: VFW ()
Date: July 06, 2012 09:34AM

Any VFW or American Legion Post also has a container. VFW is right off Fairfax Station Road next to historic St. Mary's.

Posted by: Real man ()
Date: July 06, 2012 10:03AM

Treating a flag you bought at Walmart by throwing it away just like any other item you would throw away after it is no longer needed, is fine. It IS just a piece of cloth. Cheap cloth at that and probably made in china. Comparing it to the constitution is retarded and shows the iq of republicans. It's like saying that a cheap re-print from your computer of the constitution should be framed in your house. It's a friggin country's flag. Every country has one. It's a symbol. No more no less. Doesnt the bible preach against idolizing symbols?!

Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: July 06, 2012 11:05AM

Thank you for respecting Old Glory. The VFW in Vienna, Cherry Street, has a bin for this purpose.

Date: July 06, 2012 11:19AM

When you go to dispose of your flag, don't forget to NOT step on a crack -- or you'll break your mother's back.

Posted by: idiots ()
Date: July 06, 2012 11:40AM

I bet a lot of you idiots also scream "USA, USA, USA in random intervals for no fkn reason". Get real.

Date: July 06, 2012 11:46AM

idiots Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I bet a lot of you idiots also scream "USA, USA,
> USA in random intervals for no fkn reason". Get
> real.

I do that when I masturbate.

Date: July 06, 2012 12:02PM

respectingflag Wrote:
> Ace hardware in centreville has a container right
> inside the door for them. Saying our flag is just
> cloth is like saying our Constitution is just
> paper though sadly neither is surprising these
> days.

But... it is cloth, and a copy of the Constitution is just paper.

The originals are preserved somewhere (I don't really care where) and that's cool and history and all that. But copies are copies; cloth is cloth; paper is paper.

Go hug some murderers if you want to respect the country, oops I meant soldiers.

Date: July 06, 2012 12:12PM

Follow up question:

Why do you old stupid fucks do things like "respect the flag" and "support our troops"?

Our troops haven't protected us since WWII, and the flag hasn't done shit for us since 1814 when some idiot wrote a poem about it that got turned into a shitty song.
Do you think that patriotism is truly a good thing? Do you realize this blind retarded nationalism contributed to both WWI and WWII?

I don't get it. Patriots are like the barbarians of our times, down there with KKK members and other idiots.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: July 06, 2012 12:32PM

meh Wrote:
> Do you think that patriotism is truly a good
> thing? Do you realize this blind retarded
> nationalism contributed to both WWI and WWII?

Is education that bad that people can possibly write the above? Please detail how "blind nationalism" got the United States involved in WWII. You have no idea what you are talking about, and everything you are posting sounds like it is coming from a complete moron.

Posted by: Few and the Proud ()
Date: July 06, 2012 12:33PM

meh Wrote:
> Follow up question:
>
> Why do you old stupid fucks do things like
> "respect the flag" and "support our troops"?
>
> Our troops haven't protected us since WWII, and
> the flag hasn't done shit for us since 1814 when
> some idiot wrote a poem about it that got turned
> into a shitty song.
> Do you think that patriotism is truly a good
> thing? Do you realize this blind retarded
> nationalism contributed to both WWI and WWII?
>
> I don't get it. Patriots are like the barbarians
> of our times, down there with KKK members and
> other idiots.

You obviously haven't read any history books, served, or have family members in the service. I'm thinking leech would best describe you. It is all about you isn't it?

Date: July 06, 2012 12:56PM

justsayin Wrote:
> Is education that bad that people can possibly
> write the above? Please detail how "blind
> nationalism" got the United States involved in
> WWII. You have no idea what you are talking
> about, and everything you are posting sounds like
> it is coming from a complete moron.

didn't state it was the US's nationalism, but nationalism in general, which CAUSED the wars, not got the US involved. Had the wars not occurred, the US wouldn't have gotten involved, obviously. Reading comprehension, stupid fuck,

And to the idiot marine. My cousin is also a marine, another was in the army and my stepfather was in the airforce. Congrats, you have a job. You don't do shit in that job that I should thank you for. I worry about them because they mean a lot to me and it's sad to see that my own family have to sign away their lives just for some easy money.

In a country where the government works for the banks and the banks don't give a shit about anything but your wallet, why should I feel the need to protect

Anyways, go kill yourself like so many of your peers do. (for good reasons too; I'd be ashamed of being a tool of such an awful system)

Also, we're kind of off topic now. Just throw away the stupid flag, it's a flag. Probably made in the good ol' China.

Posted by: Meh's lemonade stand ()
Date: July 06, 2012 12:58PM

meh Wrote:
> justsayin Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Is education that bad that people can possibly
> > write the above? Please detail how "blind
> > nationalism" got the United States involved in
> > WWII. You have no idea what you are talking
> > about, and everything you are posting sounds
> like
> > it is coming from a complete moron.
>
>
> didn't state it was the US's nationalism, but
> nationalism in general, which CAUSED the wars, not
> got the US involved. Had the wars not occurred,
> the US wouldn't have gotten involved, obviously.
> Reading comprehension, stupid fuck,
>
> And to the idiot marine. My cousin is also a
> marine, another was in the army and my stepfather
> was in the airforce. Congrats, you have a job. You
> don't do shit in that job that I should thank you
> for. I worry about them because they mean a lot to
> me and it's sad to see that my own family have to
> sign away their lives just for some easy money.
>
> In a country where the government works for the
> banks and the banks don't give a shit about
> anything but your wallet, why should I feel the
> need to protect
>
> Anyways, go kill yourself like so many of your
> peers do. (for good reasons too; I'd be ashamed of
> being a tool of such an awful system)
>
> Also, we're kind of off topic now. Just throw away
> the stupid flag, it's a flag. Probably made in the
> good ol' China.

Do you always whine like a bitch, or do you constantly have PMS?

Posted by: Flag Waver ()
Date: July 06, 2012 12:59PM

Federal law stipulates many aspects of flag etiquette. The section of law dealing with American Flag etiquette is generally referred to as the Flag Code. Some general guidelines from the Flag Code answer many of the most common questions:

The flag should be lighted at all times, either by sunlight or by an appropriate light source.

The flag should be flown in fair weather, unless the flag is designed for inclement weather use.

The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.

The flag should not be used for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.

The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard.
The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, firefighters, police officers and members of patriotic organizations.

The flag should never have any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind placed on it, or attached to it.

The flag should never be used for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms. To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.

The flag should be cleaned and mended when necessary.

When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner.

Date: July 06, 2012 01:07PM

The Flag Code should be titled Flag guidelines because there's no penalty to disobeying any of those codes.

Thank you Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

only a worthless FUCK would toss the flag in the garbage.................
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: July 06, 2012 01:09PM

if you can throw yr flag away in the garbage like it was nothing (even if it is a piece of shit cloth made in China LoLz) you are still a little fuck.

If ppl died in mud halfway around the world before I was even born just simply cause of that stupid image of that flag, least I can do for them is respect what they respected.

And if you are saying "shit on the flag" cause of what the Politicos and Bankers play - if you say "shit on the flag" cause you are scar-d of the Gub-Mint or whatever bullshit political reason.....................well if in YOUR heart, YOU can place the image of the flag in the hands of ppl like Walmart and Bank of America instead of in the hands of ppl like Eagle Scout Cody Moosman (google it)....................well, then YOU are more the problem with our Nation more than anything else.............cause YOU are the one handing YOUR Nation over to THEM...................

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2012 01:09PM by Gordon Blvd.

Date: July 06, 2012 01:14PM

With that logic, you should still be loyal to the British Empire for colonizing the new world, which thusly led to your birth. The Roman Empire for bringing civilization to the british isles. etc etc monkeys in a cave who fought over fire and rocks. etc etc

Posted by: Va Law States... ()
Date: July 06, 2012 01:22PM

§ 18.2-488. Mutilating, defacing, etc.

No person shall publicly burn with contempt, mutilate, deface, defile, trample upon, or wear with intent to defile any such flag, standard, color, ensign or shield.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-425; 1960, c. 358; 1968, c. 349; 1975, cc. 14, 15, 493.)

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: July 06, 2012 01:24PM

@meh - not that hard to respect those who came before you..................well, I guess for you it's a challange LoLz

Posted by: meh is an idiot troll ()
Date: July 06, 2012 01:25PM

Hey, there is also a container at the Fairfax American Legion, between 50 and 29, I think it's Oak St. It's on the north side of the building in the parking lots. The Boy Scouts burn them every year.

Posted by: In truth ()
Date: July 06, 2012 01:25PM

Those who came before meh did so on his mom's back and in her hair, so he's a little sensitive about that.

Posted by: Ermey Says ()
Date: July 06, 2012 02:18PM

Everything from his parts in FMJ, apply to MEH. Waaaaaaaaaaaah!! Get the fuck off my obstacle!

Date: July 06, 2012 02:41PM

Va Law States... Wrote:
> § 18.2-488. Mutilating, defacing, etc.
>
> No person shall publicly burn with contempt,
> mutilate, deface, defile, trample upon, or wear
> with intent to defile any such flag, standard,
> color, ensign or shield.
>
> (Code 1950, § 18.1-425; 1960, c. 358; 1968, c.
> 349; 1975, cc. 14, 15, 493.)

Yeah, it's "illegal", but there's no penalty and you can't get arrested for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_v._Johnson

Anyways, he's not showing the flag any contempt. He's throwing away an old flag, so fucking what.

ITT: People who think a flag has feelings.

Posted by: to Op ()
Date: July 06, 2012 02:52PM

Check with your Local Police station a lot of them have bins.

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: July 06, 2012 05:41PM

Ace Hardware in Centreville.

Posted by: dominioo ()
Date: July 06, 2012 07:01PM

Joe B. Wrote:
> Ace Hardware in Centreville.

is there an echo in here

Posted by: dominioo ()
Date: July 06, 2012 07:04PM

i think the next thing that should be treated with disrespect is dah body of this meh guy, instead of a burial we can let animals peck at the remains and then throw the rest in a dumpster whenever it is his time to go whenver that is. ya then we'll all talk about respectful things and how his dead body corpse was just trash anyhoo

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: July 06, 2012 07:43PM

Ace Hardware in Centreville.

Posted by: As for my dead body ()
Date: July 06, 2012 08:30PM

I'll be honest, I would much rather have my dead body dumped somewhere (ocean, meadow, whatever) than have to have my family pay $10,000+ to some funeral home director.

Posted by: Fu ()
Date: July 06, 2012 08:33PM

I hear the Ace Hardware in Centreville has a bin.

Date: July 06, 2012 10:00PM

As for my dead body Wrote:
> I'll be honest, I would much rather have my dead
> body dumped somewhere (ocean, meadow, whatever)
> than have to have my family pay $10,000+ to some
> funeral home director.

You can put this in your will. I did just that. Why preserve your spot on prime real estate for all eternity creeping out your neighbors and depressing property values? Get cremated and request that your relatives spread your ashes at sea. You return what few chemical compounds are left of your body to the sea from which it came.

Nothing sucks more than seeing row upon row of dead people taking up what could either be productive farmland or housing. In three generations no one will have any idea who you were anyway.

Posted by: Realist. ()
Date: July 06, 2012 10:44PM

meh Wrote:
> Va Law States... Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > § 18.2-488. Mutilating, defacing, etc.
> >
> > No person shall publicly burn with contempt,
> > mutilate, deface, defile, trample upon, or wear
> > with intent to defile any such flag, standard,
> > color, ensign or shield.
> >
> > (Code 1950, § 18.1-425; 1960, c. 358; 1968, c.
> > 349; 1975, cc. 14, 15, 493.)
>
> Yeah, it's "illegal", but there's no penalty and
> you can't get arrested for it.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_v._Johnson
>
Actually, you can be arrested for it, and it's a top-shelf misdemeanor, to boot!
§ 18.2-490. Penalty.

Any violation of this article shall be punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor.
Now, while it's quite likely that this law would be found invalid and a violation of your right to free speech, making this argument to a cop will get you exactly zero traction: he will happily toss your ass in the ADC where you can stew for a few hours or days while you wait for your case to come before a judge.

Additionally, I'd imagine they'd tack on a few charges like resisting arrest, disturbing the peace, or if you act like a big enough asshole, assaulting a police officer. Then you will be well and truly fucked, unless you've got the juice to hire a pricey private attorney, because a public defender isn't going to be inclined or able to do much of anything for your stupid self.

Date: July 06, 2012 10:49PM

I think the operational word here is "publicly". The OP said he wants to dispose of his flag. If you bundle up your old flag, put it in a trash can, no one would give a shit.

I would hope that police would have better things to do than arrest for simply disposing of a worn out piece of cloth.

Date: July 07, 2012 12:24AM

Realist. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------\
> >
> Actually, you can be arrested for it, and it's a
> top-shelf misdemeanor, to boot!§ 18.2-490.
> Penalty.
>
> Any violation of this article shall be punishable
> as a Class 1 misdemeanor.Now, while it's quite
> likely that this law would be found invalid and a
> violation of your right to free speech, making
> this argument to a cop will get you exactly zero
> traction: he will happily toss your ass in the ADC
> where you can stew for a few hours or days while
> you wait for your case to come before a judge.
>
> Additionally, I'd imagine they'd tack on a few
> charges like resisting arrest, disturbing the
> peace, or if you act like a big enough asshole,
> assaulting a police officer. Then you will be well
> and truly fucked, unless you've got the juice to
> hire a pricey private attorney, because a public
> defender isn't going to be inclined or able to do
> much of anything for your stupid self.

Nice editing of my post. I like how you call yourself a Realist but ignore the real situation which I described:

Guy has an old shitty flag, tosses in the trash can.

Where the fuck do you come off calling yourself a "realist" then making up some fanciful story?

Idiot

Posted by: Proud Tea Partier ()
Date: July 07, 2012 01:22AM

Mattymatt Wrote:
> I understand that you are supposed to honorably
> destroy an American flag once it is no longer in
> condition to be raised

We shot our old flag with a trusty American-made handgun, then thanked Jesus for freedom, the NRA, and bald eagles. It was very moving and very patriotic.

Posted by: curious ()
Date: July 07, 2012 01:00PM

Looks like these people found a use for their old flag . . .
Attachments:
WaPo fatties in heat

Posted by: cntrvlle_gamermom ()
Date: July 08, 2012 04:46PM

Take it to the American Legion or the VFW. There's a special ceremony that is used to retire worn flags - there are few groups who are authorized to do perform said ceremony.

Otherwise you may respectfully burn the flag yourself - privately, and not for the purposes of making a statement. Singing patriotic songs regarding the flag would be an excellent way to "retire" your flag as it burns.

Posted by: Aisiandale ()
Date: July 21, 2012 06:47PM

The American Legion in Annandale has a mailbox out front that has been pasinted in red, white and blue and is there exclusively for the drop-off of American flags you would like them to dispose of properly.

Posted by: commie clown ()
Date: July 21, 2012 07:10PM

Obama has a real close friend that might find a use for that old flag
Attachments:
william_ayers.jpg

Posted by: Mitt ()
Date: July 22, 2012 10:58AM

The Romney campaign is turning them into magic underwear.
Attachments:
happy4th.jpg

Posted by: Veteran ()
Date: July 22, 2012 01:03PM

Please take it to the Americian Legion or the VFW

Posted by: meh is a piece of shit ()
Date: July 22, 2012 02:39PM

MEH.........a little pussy who hides behind a keyboard.

Posted by: reality ()
Date: July 22, 2012 03:40PM

I'm appalled at many of these comments --- Men and Women have died and served their Country to protect you, your rights, and your freedom -- The Flag is an outward sign of that respect and for those denegrating the honor and glory of the flag you should be appalled at yourself.

Fly your flag with honor and respect for those who have served this Nation and like we honor our war dead honor the flag by driving a few miles out of your precious way in this great Country to get it to a VFW or American Legion and while there... just say Thanks.

Date: July 22, 2012 04:27PM

meh is a piece of shit Wrote:
> MEH.........a little pussy who hides behind a
> keyboard.

You're the pussy who's talking shit over the internet. I'm saying throw the old coloured rag into the trash.

No need to fire up your 20 year old pick up and burn 4 gallons of gas driving down the street with your trailer in tow just because it was windy one night.

Posted by: hostileprophet ()
Date: July 23, 2012 04:43AM

Date: July 06, 2012 05:04AM

I think it's called a trash can, or recycle bin. Give it to some homeless guy to use as a blanket.

No reason to burn it unless you're some retard living in the past.

You mean the past as in back when we actually had a real America. People like you are the ones who vote for the Obamas of the world who wonder, "all this for a flag?". Yes, all that for a flag. Speaking of retards, do you have any military experience, or has your whole existence been the product of sponging the freedoms you enjoy from real Americans who fight for it and preserve it. Or maybe that's living in the past too.

Date: July 23, 2012 06:41AM

I would strongly consider joining the military had there been a call for the defense of the country. However, an oil conquest is not something I'd be proud to be a part of. And clearly, many others who actually have been a part of that aren't proud either (see rising suicide rates of soldiers.)

So, all you young people listening. Go join the military. Go occupy a country for oil, and BE PROUD GOD DAMN IT. Without you, I'd have to pay an exorbitant amount of money to power my hummer.

Poster above me probably believes Iraq was behind 9/11.

Posted by: Cessna Pilot ()
Date: July 23, 2012 06:46AM

Get off your high horse there, John Wayne. The only serving you've done is at the Wendy's drive-thru. LOLz.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.