HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Lifeguarding
Posted by: Marco ()
Date: July 05, 2012 03:30PM

I just moved to the area and am looking for a lifeguard job.What are some of the good companies to work for ? Who pays the best ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lifeguarding
Posted by: duh! ()
Date: July 05, 2012 03:42PM

trying to get a job as a lifeguard after the season started and all the pools have hired their staff?...good luck there buddy

Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: July 05, 2012 04:00PM

Good luck but most of the lifeguards in the area come from Eastern Europe and have contracts/work visas. Not necessarily a bad thing, some pretty hot chicks.

Posted by: Repugnican ()
Date: July 06, 2012 12:00AM

The public pools have already hired. You could try the clubs who have jacuzzi openings.

Posted by: jip ()
Date: July 06, 2012 12:47AM

NRA 75 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good luck but most of the lifeguards in the area
> come from Eastern Europe and have contracts/work
> visas. Not necessarily a bad thing, some pretty
> hot chicks.

True that.

The schnooks import the Eastern European lifeguards, put them up in group homes, and pay them next to nothing and keep most of the money pool operators pay them.

On the bright side, these young visitors get to see 'Murca up close and personal. They learn that what they heard growing up about this country was mostly bullshit. Hopefully, when they return home, they'll tell their countrymen that it's all about exploitation over here.

Posted by: stay away ()
Date: July 06, 2012 11:25AM

Stay away from Premier,Atlantic and high Sierra.They hate Americans and only want foreign labor.

Posted by: Guard ()
Date: July 06, 2012 11:32AM

Jazzie Pools in Falls Church can hook you up.

Posted by: ChristyH ()
Date: July 07, 2012 12:10AM

Sunset Pool Management has pools all over Northern Virginia- They also have the most indoor pools (AKA keep your job in the winter if you want) 703-824-0997

Posted by: Rute Boye ()
Date: July 07, 2012 04:13PM

I would also check with the Fairfax County Park Authority and the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority. Maybe Prince William and Arlington, too. Their pay is competitive with the private companies and they treat their employees a whole lot better.

Posted by: jDM ()
Date: July 08, 2012 12:48AM

its not too late, as soon as august hits everyone goes on vacation, then back to school at the same time and its near impossible to find guards to fill in. You can take a 200 dollar class, its about 6 hours on a saturday, take a quick test and get certified and you can be working real soon. If your willing to work where and when people need you as a roving guard you can make alot of money as well as alot of friends. I would suggest NVPools; theyre HQ is right next to dulles off of centerview.

Posted by: nonononononNO ()
Date: July 09, 2012 02:23PM

NVPools thread. Discuss.

Posted by: gubmint workers ()
Date: July 09, 2012 04:58PM

Rute Boye Wrote:
> I would also check with the Fairfax County Park
> Authority and the Northern Virginia Regional Park
> Authority. Maybe Prince William and Arlington,
> too. Their pay is competitive with the private
> companies and they treat their employees a whole
> lot better.

Yes - they can be a lot more generous when paying your salary with other people's tax dollars.

Posted by: FormerLifeguardEonsAgo ()
Date: July 10, 2012 12:05AM

gubmint workers Wrote:

> Yes - they can be a lot more generous when paying
> your salary with other people's tax dollars.

You baggers are such a hoot! And the money that private companies use to pay employees is, what, conjured out of the ether? Pools managed by companies in this area, aside from County/NVRPA are 1) community pools where members pay dues (which you all would call a tax if it congealed with your rhetoric, but at least you do have a choice, unless you have an HOA) or 2) apartment pools, where the pool fees are included in your rent, whether or not you use it.

The County Rec facilities defray their costs with admission fees. Perhaps you'd know that, if you got off your fat ass and went to one. But you won't. You'll sit on your couch, watching commercials on Fox while paying for Cable (how stupid is that!), getting worked up over Obamacare, and confident that the VA or more likely Medicare will pay (tax player dollars!!) to unclog your arteries when you have "the big one" and that pesky, tax player funded EMT staffed ambulance carts you off to Inova Fairfax. As you are rushed past all the waiting Hispanics with tubercular coughs, smile, happy in your knowledge that they will receive competent care without paying (a Reagan policy), and the cost of that will be amortized over your employer provided health care.

Date: July 10, 2012 11:17AM

FormerLifeguardEonsAgo Wrote:
> gubmint workers Wrote:
>
>
> > Yes - they can be a lot more generous when
> paying
> > your salary with other people's tax dollars.
>
> You baggers are such a hoot! And the money that
> private companies use to pay employees is, what,
> conjured out of the ether? Pools managed by
> companies in this area, aside from County/NVRPA
> are 1) community pools where members pay dues
> (which you all would call a tax if it congealed
> with your rhetoric, but at least you do have a
> choice, unless you have an HOA) or 2) apartment
> pools, where the pool fees are included in your
> rent, whether or not you use it.
>
> The County Rec facilities defray their costs with
> admission fees. Perhaps you'd know that, if you
> got off your fat ass and went to one. But you
> won't. You'll sit on your couch, watching
> commercials on Fox while paying for Cable (how
> stupid is that!), getting worked up over
> Obamacare, and confident that the VA or more
> likely Medicare will pay (tax player dollars!!) to
> unclog your arteries when you have "the big one"
> and that pesky, tax player funded EMT staffed
> ambulance carts you off to Inova Fairfax. As you
> are rushed past all the waiting Hispanics with
> tubercular coughs, smile, happy in your knowledge
> that they will receive competent care without
> paying (a Reagan policy), and the cost of that
> will be amortized over your employer provided
> health care.

Julia, you are funny. I belong to a private pool, paid for and maintained by private members. Not a $1 of government money used for the whole thing - ever. It's costs more than a public pool membership, but that helps keep the riff raff out.

Perhaps if you didn't expect everything from your swimming pool to your healthcare to be provided for you for free by someone else's taxes, you could conceive of the existence of people who are not totally dependent upon the government.

Posted by: LetsRock ()
Date: July 10, 2012 11:33AM

gubmint workers Wrote:
> FormerLifeguardEonsAgo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > gubmint workers Wrote:
> >
> >
> > > Yes - they can be a lot more generous when
> > paying
> > > your salary with other people's tax dollars.
> >
> > You baggers are such a hoot! And the money
> that
> > private companies use to pay employees is,
> what,
> > conjured out of the ether? Pools managed by
> > companies in this area, aside from County/NVRPA
> > are 1) community pools where members pay dues
> > (which you all would call a tax if it congealed
> > with your rhetoric, but at least you do have a
> > choice, unless you have an HOA) or 2) apartment
> > pools, where the pool fees are included in your
> > rent, whether or not you use it.
> >
> > The County Rec facilities defray their costs
> with
> > admission fees. Perhaps you'd know that, if
> you
> > got off your fat ass and went to one. But you
> > won't. You'll sit on your couch, watching
> > commercials on Fox while paying for Cable (how
> > stupid is that!), getting worked up over
> > Obamacare, and confident that the VA or more
> > likely Medicare will pay (tax player dollars!!)
> to
> > unclog your arteries when you have "the big
> one"
> > and that pesky, tax player funded EMT staffed
> > ambulance carts you off to Inova Fairfax. As
> you
> > are rushed past all the waiting Hispanics with
> > tubercular coughs, smile, happy in your
> knowledge
> > that they will receive competent care without
> > paying (a Reagan policy), and the cost of that
> > will be amortized over your employer provided
> > health care.
>
> Julia, you are funny. I belong to a private pool,
> paid for and maintained by private members. Not a
> $1 of government money used for the whole thing -
> ever. It's costs more than a public pool
> membership, but that helps keep the riff raff out.
>
>
> Perhaps if you didn't expect everything from your
> swimming pool to your healthcare to be provided
> for you for free by someone else's taxes, you
> could conceive of the existence of people who are
> not totally dependent upon the government.

I would pay extra to keep the "turdS" and "burritos" out of my pool.

Posted by: anom5675 ()
Date: July 10, 2012 11:53AM

I know the atlantis nvrpa park is looking for guards.

Posted by: Tony ()
Date: July 11, 2012 11:50AM

I just got a job with Crystal pools. I just got fired from Nv Pools for smoking weed in the pump room.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: July 11, 2012 12:54PM

gubmint workers, You really are so wrapped up in your own little ideological rant that you don't let things like facts and logic get in the way.

This thread started with someone asking where to find a lifeguarding job. Someone suggested the OP look into park jobs, pointing out that the pay was the same but they treated workers better. Your response "they can be a lot more generous when paying your salary with other people's tax dollars" completely ignored that the poster had said COMPARABLE, rather than BETTER pay. FormerLifeguardEonsAgo then points out that Fairfax Rec doesn't use taxes, but instead relies on fees generated from its users to pay their expenses, and you respond with the following rant.
> Perhaps if you didn't expect everything from your
> swimming pool to your healthcare to be provided
> for you for free by someone else's taxes, you
> could conceive of the existence of people who are
> not totally dependent upon the government.
Again completely ignoring that what FormerLifeguardEonsAgo was talking about was NOT free pools but instead was pools that charge admissions.

I have no idea where you swim, but if you are using your neighborhood pool, chances are very good your swim is being subsidized by taxpayers. Most neighborhood pools in Fairfax County are tax-exempt entities, meaning that they do not pay Federal or Virginia income taxes. One subsidy. A very large majority of them are also exempt from having to pay Fairfax County real estate taxes on their land and improvements, a second subsidy. Fairfax County also has several programs that public and private pools in the county can take advantage of, and if yours is one there is a third subsidy. We haven't gotten to the point where much of the revenue for your pool probably comes from government workers or government contractors and your pool water is already getting chunky with taxpayer dollars.

FormerLifeguardEonsAgo asserts that Rec Centers are self supporting, and I've even heard it claimed this extends even to Rec Center capital improvement projects. However there are a couple of asterixes to this. I believe project funding for Rec Centers is done through County bonds rather than private financing. Also some of the revenue the Rec Centers receives comes from the school system in return for use of the facilities for programs such as high school swim teams. You could argue that this money would be spent regardless, but back before we had Rec Centers in the County there were very few high school swim teams.

The primary difference between public and private pools isn't ideological. It is that the public pools have to let in anyone who can pay the admission fee where your (and my) private pool might be able to be more selective.

To the OP-If you are 16 years or older and have the ability to work full time through Labor Day, try to get your Operators Certificate as well. Used to be that many of the private pool companies would start screaming for guards come early August, and guards with operators certificates are usually in even higher demand.

Date: July 11, 2012 04:04PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
> gubmint workers, You really are so wrapped up in
> your own little ideological rant that you don't
> let things like facts and logic get in the way.

It must be wonderful to live so fact free. See my responses below.

>
> This thread started with someone asking where to
> find a lifeguarding job. Someone suggested the OP
> look into park jobs, pointing out that the pay was
> the same but they treated workers better. Your
> response "they can be a lot more generous when
> paying your salary with other people's tax
> dollars" completely ignored that the poster had
> said COMPARABLE, rather than BETTER pay.

"Treating workers better" usually would mean - better time off, better benefits, better job protections, better overtime or work rules, higher staffing levels - take your pick - they all cost money.

> FormerLifeguardEonsAgo then points out that
> Fairfax Rec doesn't use taxes, but instead relies
> on fees generated from its users to pay their
> expenses, and you respond with the following
> rant.

Saying they are self supporting doesn't make it so. In the county budget for 2013, the Parks Authority budget is ~26m, with about 6M of that recovered from various fees. That is not self supporting. Your fees may partially defray the county's cost, that's about all you can say. I think a county like Fairfax should have nice public facilities, but don't fool yourself into thinking they are self supporting. That's just not true.

> > Perhaps if you didn't expect everything from
> your
> > swimming pool to your healthcare to be provided
> > for you for free by someone else's taxes, you
> > could conceive of the existence of people who
> are
> > not totally dependent upon the government.
> Again completely ignoring that what
> FormerLifeguardEonsAgo was talking about was NOT
> free pools but instead was pools that charge
> admissions.
>
> I have no idea where you swim, but if you are
> using your neighborhood pool, chances are very
> good your swim is being subsidized by taxpayers.
> Most neighborhood pools in Fairfax County are
> tax-exempt entities, meaning that they do not pay
> Federal or Virginia income taxes. One subsidy. A
> very large majority of them are also exempt from
> having to pay Fairfax County real estate taxes on
> their land and improvements, a second subsidy.

Complete BS. Private pool clubs pay property taxes. They pay no income taxes as they are run to break even as a non profit entity, which most of them struggle to do.

> Fairfax County also has several programs that
> public and private pools in the county can take
> advantage of, and if yours is one there is a third
> subsidy. We haven't gotten to the point where
> much of the revenue for your pool probably comes
> from government workers or government contractors
> and your pool water is already getting chunky with
> taxpayer dollars.

No detail on these murky programs that you speak of, so it's difficult to refute. The programs I am aware of are county inspectors constantly visiting to ensure compliance with the myriad of county regulations on pools - a full employment act for both pool inspectors and contractors.

>
> FormerLifeguardEonsAgo asserts that Rec Centers
> are self supporting, and I've even heard it
> claimed this extends even to Rec Center capital
> improvement projects.

Again, complete BS and completely wrong. Park Bonds are general obligation bonds, meaning that the county is pledging it's ability to tax all residents to repay them. From a FFX bond pamphlet, listed as a 'con' for the bond issuance "Costs for infrastructure and facilities should be carried by those directly
using or benefiting from them, not by all taxpayers"

Date: July 11, 2012 07:18PM

gubmint workers wrote:
>"Treating workers better" usually would mean - better time off, better >benefits, better job protections, better overtime or work rules, higher >staffing levels - take your pick - they all cost money.

NO, that is NOT what I meant.

What I meant was that staff are usually treated with more respect at a public pool. You are not beholden to the "pool committee" of the local civic association, who thinks you are there as their personal buttboy. Nor are you beholden to some private pool company who is there to make a profit. At the park authority pools I worked at we were there to do a job, and we earned our pay. In the five years I worked at a public pools, I saved 18 people including one that was unconscious and not breathing when I got to him and and who required CPR. Another that had a heart attack in the water. In the other two years at "private" I didn't have to pull anybody out at all. Not even once.

I worked for 7 summers at swimming pools, the first three life guarding and the last 4 as a pool operator/manager. Some were spent at park authority pools and some at privately owned pools (apartment and civic association), so I have a pretty good idea what I'm talking about. Unlike the "gubmint workers" poster.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: July 11, 2012 10:29PM

I am only responding to a few of your points gubmint workers because, frankly, a comprehensive response would take too long.

gubmint workers Wrote:
> "Treating workers better" usually would mean -
> better time off, better benefits, better job
> protections, better overtime or work rules, higher
> staffing levels - take your pick - they all cost
> money.

You are letting your assumptions get ahead of you. Guards at Rec Centers are part time or temporary workers who get few benefits. I've been told by a former friend who worked at a Rec Center that they used to temporarily terminate part time employees just so they would not qualify for additional benefits the County gives to permanent employees.

> Saying they are self supporting doesn't make it
> so. In the county budget for 2013, the Parks
> Authority budget is ~26m, with about 6M of that
> recovered from various fees. That is not self
> supporting.

You are confusing the Park Authority with the Rec Centers. The park authority consists of, according to their own information ""418 parks, nine recreation centers, eight golf courses, an ice skating rink, 220 playgrounds, 668 public gardens, five nature centers, an equestrian center, 505 Fairfax County Public School owned athletic fields, 274 Park Authority owned athletic fields, 10 historic sites, two waterparks, a horticultural center, and more than 300 miles of trails." Obviously many of these facilities produce no revenue and others lose money. However the Park Authority boasted in 2012 that "The Park Authority provides approximately 60% of their budget through revenue programs" and both golf and Rec Center managers have told me that their facilities are self supporting.

> Complete BS. Private pool clubs pay property
> taxes.

Around 2000 Fairfax County began granting pools exemptions from real estate taxes. At first it was done on a pool by pool basis. I heard about 4 years ago they extended the exemption to a large number of pools. Maybe yours didn't qualify. To check on your pool's status, type its address into the Fairfax assessment web site. Some pools simply show no assessed values since around the mid-200s. Others have values shown but also say they are tax exempt.

> They pay no income taxes as they are run
> to break even as a non profit entity, which most
> of them struggle to do.

Most pools are struggling to break even on a cash flow basis. However taxable income and cash flow aren't the same things. For example the $30,000 improvements paid for by a special assessment would result in taxable income for the pool company (if a taxable entity) because those improvements would have to be capitalized and depreciated over time. Likewise the $10,000 per year the pool set aside to cover the anticipated cost of replacing pumps would also be considered taxable income.

Date: July 12, 2012 10:34AM

Rute Boye Wrote:

> NO, that is NOT what I meant.
>
> What I meant was that staff are usually treated
> with more respect at a public pool. You are not
> beholden to the "pool committee" of the local
> civic association, who thinks you are there as
> their personal buttboy. Nor are you beholden to
> some private pool company who is there to make a
> profit. At the park authority pools I worked at we
> were there to do a job, and we earned our pay. In
> the five years I worked at a public pools, I saved
> 18 people including one that was unconscious and
> not breathing when I got to him and and who
> required CPR. Another that had a heart attack in
> the water. In the other two years at "private" I
> didn't have to pull anybody out at all. Not even
> once.

Interesting - so based on your experience, people who should not be in the water (can't swim, not healthy enough, etc.) are more likely to frequent public facilities provided for free or subsidized rates, but are less likely to be found where you have to pay the market rate of a private facility.

Date: July 12, 2012 06:17PM

>Interesting - so based on your experience, people who should not be in the water (can't swim, not healthy enough, etc.) are more likely to frequent public facilities provided for free or subsidized rates, but are less likely to be found where you have to pay the market rate of a private facility.

Correct:

- The market rate for swimming for a day at a public pool is probably around $10.00 or whatever the current price of admission is.

- The market rate for a family membership at a community pool or country club is probably $2000, $3000, or whatever the current yearly membership rate is in this area.

You do the math. Which do you think might be more affordable for a low-income person who could probably never afford swim lessons and who never grew up in a nice neighborhood with a community pool?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2012 06:18PM by Rute Boye.

Date: July 13, 2012 10:48AM

Rute Boye Wrote:
> >Interesting - so based on your experience, people
> who should not be in the water (can't swim, not
> healthy enough, etc.) are more likely to frequent
> public facilities provided for free or subsidized
> rates, but are less likely to be found where you
> have to pay the market rate of a private
> facility.
> ________________
>
>
> Correct:
>
> - The market rate for swimming for a day at a
> public pool is probably around $10.00 or whatever
> the current price of admission is.
>
> - The market rate for a family membership at a
> community pool or country club is probably $2000,
> $3000, or whatever the current yearly membership
> rate is in this area.
>
> You do the math. Which do you think might be more
> affordable for a low-income person who could
> probably never afford swim lessons and who never
> grew up in a nice neighborhood with a community
> pool?

It's not a question of affordability, but rather responsibility. Seems like the irresponsible types flock to the cheaper public facilities.

Posted by: don't stereotype ()
Date: July 13, 2012 11:10AM

No, it is a question of affordability. You are incorrect. There are some rich and very irresponsible people in the world. Just look around. I can testify to that. I pulled a kid out of a very wealthy pool who was about two years old and face down in the water and totally not moving. Where was mom? Oh, yeah, she was reading a magazine and couldn't be bothered to look up. I was there just swimming with my own kid. I can tell you that I was in the "I can't believe this is happening mode". I think I saved that kid's life and she just looked at me and said, "Oh, thanks".

I would not make generalizations about the types of people at these pools. I have seen very wealthy people at the rec centers taking advantage of the swim lessons, jacuzzi, etc.

I grew up poor and now I have money. I learned to swim in public pools and am grateful for the lifeguards and teachers there. Yes, I have belonged to the "community club pools" here, but also have frequented the Rec Centers. The Rec Centers have a lot to offer our communities and, yes, they are affordable.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.