HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
music today
Posted by: Bast05 ()
Date: May 08, 2008 03:10PM

OFF TOPIC:
is it just me or was 80s pop just ridiculously cheesy? i was born in 1990 so maybe its just foreign to me and i'm not comfortable with it, but honestly, its god awful. Those synths and that rick astley stuff sounds like shit.

all old times will seem cheesy now, but seriously i think the 80s were legitimately shitty in terms of pop music production.

good example: rick astley.

and its sad because some times it was actually just the production that made it so unlikeable - good example is "take on me" by A-Ha, when performed by a modern band (who doesnt just speed it up and strum generic-ass powerchords like Sum41) would sound amazing.

even Hard rock failed sometimes, and it was usually only small things, which ruined everything. example: Axl Rose
I HATE AXL ROSE
he ruined everything
that stupid fucking redneck bastard was a disgrace to vocals everywhere since the BeeGees and absolutely ruined Guns'n'roses. i actually like quite a few G'n'r songs, but i HATE his voice.

AC/DC was similar but not as bad, but then of course their music itself wasn't really anything special. Thunder/back'n'black are okay i suppose.

Metallica was one of the few I think, who really brought out the beauty in their music. But sometimes their vocals (such as in One) just didn't fit (his voice sounded rather weak in that song).

anyway, i think 80s music sucks. my perspective.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: music today
Posted by: I hate you die ()
Date: May 08, 2008 03:17PM

I fuck bitches like your mom for fun.

Posted by: Herbert ()
Date: May 08, 2008 03:29PM

Rick Astley did indeed suck, but no one liked him even when he was new.

The production of most 80's pop is now considered too bright, but it fit with the type of music. Emphasize the synthsizers and encourage the new sound.

But as far as the music itself, think about how much more variety there was just in the pop genre. You had everything from traditional power pop (Pat Benetar, Greg Kihn Band, J. Giels Band, etc.) to wild new-wave pop (Flock of Seagulls, Oingo Boingo, Missing Persons, etc.) to high-budget rock (Rush, Van Halen, The Police, etc.). And all that stuff would be played on the same station.

And what about rap - Public Enemy, Run-DMC, NWA... and hip-hop from Tribe Called Quest, Erik B. & Rakim, Beastie Boys - all classics.

And of course metal was still metal - Maiden, Metallica, even Magadeth were still true to their roots instead of trying to sell videos and create crossover hits.

The 90's brought some good music to the table, particularly by reintroducing simpler, harder music via grunge. But what was playing on the pop stations in the 90's was basically throwaway dance crap.

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: May 08, 2008 03:47PM

Date: May 08, 2008 03:49PM

and now to the topic, MUSIC TODAY

wow.
all poprock bands sound EXACTLY THE SAME. Avenged sevenfold, seether, w/e all the same. nothing special, nothing really catchy.

1000000000 sum41-esque bands.

and hiphop
well hiphop went down the crapper.
what the fuck?

on Youtube go to the most viewed videos of today and u'll see "Rocko - Tomorrow", and type in "wuz happenin" by Soulja boy and u'll see.

seriosuly i think soulja boy set black people back 30 years. Rocko is another trashy ass uneducated idiot who sounds like crap and looks like a fucking dumbass. Crap beats + Crap Rap + crap production = crap.
Soulja boy, from 1 to 10 i'd give him a -4

whatever happened to hiphop?

Posted by: TECHNOVIKING ()
Date: May 08, 2008 03:52PM

I advise you all to RUN not walk and download the Carolina chocolate drops album! Yes Music that was played like its still the 1880's is a beautiful thing! HUZZAH!

Posted by: Bitch? ()
Date: May 08, 2008 04:36PM

Are you an EMO douchebag?

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: May 08, 2008 05:59PM

All I know is music in general has hit an all time low.
Yeah, if you dig deep enough you can find a few cool bands, but in terms of pop music, it's done.

Remember when R&B used to stand for Rhythm and Blues? It now means Rap and Beyonce. The day of the true musician is over. Now is the day of the producer. He/she does just about everything now. Records, plays the instruments (what little bit there is), arranges the songs, applies the pitch correction on today's crappy singers and in some case even engineers the recordings.

It's all about presentation today, not the actual music.

Posted by: TECHNOVIKING ()
Date: May 08, 2008 06:11PM

Numbers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All I know is music in general has hit an all time
> low.
> Yeah, if you dig deep enough you can find a few
> cool bands, but in terms of pop music, it's done.
>
> Remember when R&B used to stand for Rhythm and
> Blues? It now means Rap and Beyonce. The day of
> the true musician is over. Now is the day of the
> producer. He/she does just about everything now.
> Records, plays the instruments (what little bit
> there is), arranges the songs, applies the pitch
> correction on today's crappy singers and in some
> case even engineers the recordings.
>
> It's all about presentation today, not the actual
> music.

Worry not friend! all will be well! the 70's wrought Disco which was also producer driven with the same techniques as thee rail about now! And LO LIVE music did come back as strong as ever! It is cyclical as ever LIVE music will return Anon!

Posted by: Truth ()
Date: May 08, 2008 09:06PM

Alicia Keys' first album was great.

her new hit "No One" sucks ass. why the hell do people like it? its so boring? i coulda written that when i was 4, plus shes slightly off key (if ur not fucking retarded, you might've noticed)

Posted by: yzaz ()
Date: May 08, 2008 09:12PM

Bast05 Wrote:
> and now to the topic, MUSIC TODAY
>
> wow.
> all poprock bands sound EXACTLY THE SAME. Avenged
> sevenfold, seether, w/e all the same. nothing
> special, nothing really catchy.
>
> 1000000000 sum41-esque bands.
>
> and hiphop
> well hiphop went down the crapper.
> what the fuck?
>
> on Youtube go to the most viewed videos of today
> and u'll see "Rocko - Tomorrow", and type in "wuz
> happenin" by Soulja boy and u'll see.
>
> seriosuly i think soulja boy set black people back
> 30 years. Rocko is another trashy ass uneducated
> idiot who sounds like crap and looks like a
> fucking dumbass. Crap beats + Crap Rap + crap
> production = crap.
> Soulja boy, from 1 to 10 i'd give him a -4
>
> whatever happened to hiphop?

indeed. they should listen to dr king.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: May 08, 2008 10:19PM

Bast05 Wrote:

> anyway, i think 80s music sucks. my perspective.

I agree. I was born in the 60s and spent my teens and early 20s during the 80s. At the time I thought all the music sucked and that the music of the 70s and subsequent 90s was much better. The only thing I could listen to in the 80s was some of the alternative stuff that turned into Grunge later and the blues, like Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Also, when you listen to the production values of music produced in the 70s, the 80s don't even compare. Hell, the music TODAY, with all the digital tricks, etc, doesn't stack up production-wise with a lot of the music produced in the 70s. Just listen to Fleetwood Mac or Barracuda from Heart and think of that all being mixed on an analog board and then listen to something from Panic at the Disco. Can't even compare.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: May 09, 2008 01:20AM

OP, it's great that understand this is off-topic but please use the section labeled Off-topic!

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Suburbanite ()
Date: May 09, 2008 09:37AM

Just to prolong the agony of this in the general forum...

90% of everything is crap. Whether it's 80's music, 90's music or today's music. Most is crap. The sad thing is, most people WANT to listen to that crap. Just look at Britney Spears's sales. Total crap. Sexy, but still crap.

OP, if the 80's music bothers you, don't listen to it. You have a choice.

Date: May 10, 2008 05:19PM

I see

Posted by: SRE ()
Date: May 10, 2008 07:31PM

I don't know what you are talking about.... I like MusicToday, they have good turn-around time, and are becoming a player scene. (And they are in Virginia!)

http://stores.musictoday.com/store/default.asp

Posted by: idiot ()
Date: May 10, 2008 09:29PM

this is the face of today's American Black Youth

Posted by: Roo'b ()
Date: May 11, 2008 01:32AM

Bonnaroo!!! Get it all at Roo!

Posted by: LULZ ()
Date: May 11, 2008 01:31PM

AHAHAHAHAHAH that guy just pulls on her hair "GET YO MONKEY ASS OUT MY FACE; SIT YO ASS DOWN"

props to the responsible hoodrat

Posted by: Jack Daniel ()
Date: May 11, 2008 06:12PM

OFF TOPIC:
"is it just me or was 80s pop just ridiculously cheesy? "

It's not just you it was, that was what was great about it.

"even Hard rock failed sometimes, and it was usually only small things, which ruined everything. example: Axl Rose
I HATE AXL ROSE
he ruined everything
that stupid fucking redneck bastard was a disgrace to vocals everywhere since the BeeGees and absolutely ruined Guns'n'roses. i actually like quite a few G'n'r songs, but i HATE his voice."

I feel your pain and agree, Axl and other drugged up faggots playing subpar hard rock and strutting around in assless chaps made most of us male rockers so sick we had to go grunge. That was when Rock died.

"AC/DC was similar but not as bad, but then of course their music itself wasn't really anything special. Thunder/back'n'black are okay i suppose."

Okay yes, but still Classic Hard Rock that will live forever.

"Metallica was one of the few I think, who really brought out the beauty in their music. But sometimes their vocals (such as in One) just didn't fit (his voice sounded rather weak in that song)."

"Beauty" and "Metallica" in the same sentence, THAT doesn't fit.

"anyway, i think 80s music sucks. my perspective."

Agreed, but 90's was worse and it ain't gettin' any better. A hundred years from now this time will be known as the era in which no music of any real significance was made. Fortunately the 70's had so much great music to offer that I can still find music I've never heard and it's like discovering new, great music. I just heard Trapeze for the 1st time, awesome!

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: May 11, 2008 08:30PM

I'm trying to think -- who's made the Billboard charts and grew up in Fairfax? Ronnie Dove (60s country-rocker) is about the only one I can think of ...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.