HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Video / Data Projector Repair Place
Posted by: bob ()
Date: May 08, 2008 12:13AM

I have a Sony projector that all of a sudden stopped turning on. Does anyone know of any repair shops in the area that service projectors? I called MicroCenter and a few other large retailers and they do not.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Video / Data Projector Repair Place
Posted by: r ()
Date: May 08, 2008 09:10AM

yep call me anytime...we have a full service dept for projectors etc..www.avitecture.com 703 404.8900 ext 356...rob

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: May 08, 2008 09:55AM

More than likely there's something wrong with the lamp. Pull it out and you'll probably notice it's in pieces.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: May 08, 2008 11:41AM

I've done some digital projector repair... some of them have real problems with power regulators that will blow out at the slightest spike in power.

Posted by: bob ()
Date: May 08, 2008 01:01PM

Yeah its definitely not the lamp - as a matter of fact Sony's user manual even says if the lamp is not 'in' all the way the projector will not turn on so I checked that and the fan housing. I opened the top and everything is in tact so I wonder if there could be a fuse that may have broke or a problem with the power regulator like RESton Peace said... R how much would you charge to take a look at this - any ideas what it could be? I purchased the projector used from my univeristy and while I love it and the bulb has a lot of life left I cant justify fixing it if it will cost more than what I paid.

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: May 08, 2008 06:09PM

This may be a silly question, but have you cleaned the filter lately?

Reston is right about power spikes. Mitsubishi projectors are very prone to damage from spikes.

Did you actually inspect the lamp for damage? You'll feel awfully silly taken it some place and paying them to tell you the lamp has gone west.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: May 08, 2008 06:17PM

check power supply, check lamp better. BUy a spare lamp and put it in, then return the bad lamp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2008 06:18PM by KeepOnTruckin.

Posted by: § ()
Date: May 08, 2008 06:22PM

Filmdex? -§

Date: May 10, 2008 06:26PM

bob,

I could test it out for that problem and several other common ones if I had a decent reference to tell me what any given regulator I found inside there needs to be doing. I did all that work before in a professional lab with tons of manufacturer-supplied repair manuals and part references....something the common man does not have access to a lot of times.

Sometimes the power reg damage was more consuming than just the chip... it would have some pcb damage at some point on the path to the regulator as well. That is kind of a fuck-all but can usually be spotted with the naked eye because it is a burn. At least then you would know not to waste your time.

If it were my projector, I would follow these steps first before I even whip out the multimeter:

remove cover and check for frayed wires or wire connections, bad solder connections and other solder problems. Carefully disconnect the power supply unit and without touching any leads, check for the same as best as you can.

check internal circuit boards for burn marks, warping, loose components, exploded capacitors, and other obviously damaged components. same with any circuits in the power supply.

remove circuit boards and check the back for bad solder connections.

a list of other things I forget offhand also...

Date: May 10, 2008 06:54PM

I've been thinking of something

sometimes these projectors have heat protection logic, where a rheometer is used to measure the cooling
exhaust and/or intake fan and report to the system as functioning. if the projector senses a dead fan, it will refuse to let the bulb turn on, to protect from the bulb cooking the insides of the projector. so maybe a fan is dead. or, the logic is busted.

see how much crap could potentially be wrong with a modern projector?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2008 06:55PM by RESton Peace.

Date: May 10, 2008 06:59PM

oh yeah this shit is way off topic, sorry, wish I could move it or at least fake like I did like that moderator faggot.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: May 10, 2008 07:27PM

RESton Peace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> oh yeah this shit is way off topic, sorry, wish I
> could move it or at least fake like I did like
> that moderator faggot.

well, the poster is looking for places in the area that can repair it, so it's technically on topic.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.