HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Old fashioned swimming holes?
Posted by: summer ()
Date: June 16, 2012 08:45PM

Are there any old fashioned swimming holes in the area? I have seen some websites that list many around Richmond...but would like to find one in our area. Impossible to find?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old fashioned swimming holes?
Posted by: rogers ()
Date: June 16, 2012 10:37PM

There are pools in most communities.

Posted by: whiterussian ()
Date: June 16, 2012 10:41PM

Well that was helpful....

Posted by: Lee ()
Date: June 16, 2012 11:23PM

How far are willing to travel?

Posted by: Potomac ()
Date: June 17, 2012 12:00AM

There are a lot of places in the deep creeks that run off of the Potomac in the Great Falls area. Hop in a kayak and go down stream looking for some places. You'll find them.

Posted by: Hep C ()
Date: June 17, 2012 12:23AM

There's too much sewage runoff all over the county. Stay out of the creeks.

Posted by: 0tter ()
Date: June 17, 2012 01:34PM

Cedar Run and White Oak Canyon

Posted by: BB*X ()
Date: June 18, 2012 11:21AM

There are places like Jacob's Rock at Fountain Head as well as some others in/along the Occoquan. If you go over the Occoquan bridge (headed into Fairfax County from Prince William) and look out to your right as you cross the bridge you will see a large flat rock wall, there are always kids jumping off of that thing. We used to go out to a rope swing built above the Occoquan dam, there were a ton of trees and cliffs you could climb and jump off of. The only problem with this is that it is illegal to swim out there, we actually had a helicopter show up and tell us to leave one time. No wonder kids get in so much trouble now, everything that we did as kids that was just a part of growing up is now illegal.

Posted by: Bruce Variety ()
Date: June 18, 2012 01:28PM

Difficult Run stream valley in Great Falls. It's off of Georgetown Pike. Park in the gravel lot. Follow the trail about a mile. You'll be amazed. Swimming holes, caves, lots of features.

Posted by: croft ()
Date: June 18, 2012 05:27PM

There was a place in Falls Church I use to go to. Follow the stream from the Lake Barcroft Damn off of Columbia Pike. It will lead you to a little beach area on one side and rocks you can jump off of on the other side. When you jump off the rocks...make sure to jump over the big rock that is submerged about 2 feet under the water.

I am not sure what it looks like today as it has been about 25 years since I last went.

Have Fun!

Posted by: Explorer of Holes ()
Date: June 18, 2012 06:34PM

Not in Northern VA. Too litigious of an area.

Drive to a great Rapp hole off Summerduck Road, west of Fredericksburg.

Posted by: svdsdvsd ()
Date: June 19, 2012 05:59PM

be careful at difficult run, I got a ticket for $130 for "unlawful swimming" in there a week ago. FYI they were younger undercover guys..

Posted by: Bertt ()
Date: June 19, 2012 07:37PM

What kind of filthy backwoods motherfucker wants to swim in a swimming hole? Go back to Alabama, son.

Posted by: JenK ()
Date: June 19, 2012 07:42PM

It was a lil bit of a hike, but 95 south to ex133A(google it) puts you off next to the rappahannock river.

Went today, there's a lil beach, water is clear and pretty slow moving. There were a few dozen people scattered around, some had tubes and were just floating down. Kids loved it, lil minnows were swimming all around them.

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: June 19, 2012 11:05PM

Just a thought but would you really want to go swimming in any streams around Fairfax County? I mean if it's not the old tires, shopping carts, or other garbage floating around in there it's God knows what from run off and what not.

Posted by: Accotinkerbell ()
Date: June 20, 2012 12:06AM

I see the Mexicans sitting in Accotink Creek all the time. Doubt they'd mind the company. Or you can just flash some blue lights and you'll have the place to yourself.

Posted by: Old School Too ()
Date: June 20, 2012 11:06PM

No Kidding! Try the show case pond in front of Dulles Airport! Swim for about an hour before you are told to go away. The fish are a little hungry there so I don't advise skinny dipping.
Really, my honey & I swim there at least once a year.

Posted by: JeepLoveSWFL ()
Date: June 26, 2016 09:50AM

Hello Everyone, I moved here in March of last year from Florida. I have never lived far from a large body of water and the only swimming pools I have been to have always been private. I have been desperately searching for a summer spot to take to the kids every weekend to have some fun in the sun, for me to relax and maybe through a fishing pole in the water.

I think some of these ideas are great. I believe I narrowed my search to the Occoquan and the Rappahannock. Does anyone have a cross street, or nearby address I can plug into my GPS?

Or any updates on this thread of a good beach area?

I'm happy to found this forum.

Thanks for the help.

Posted by: AnnandaleDude ()
Date: June 26, 2016 11:09AM

Back in the 70's we used to go to White Oak Canyon. Lots of deep pools of cold mountain water created by the many waterfalls. It's a steep hike but the waterfalls are beautiful and the swimming is awesome.

Best part was in the 70's there were always lots of hippy chicks skinny dipping or sun bathing topless on the rocks. Those type of opportunities just don't exist anymore :(

Posted by: JeepLoveSWFL ()
Date: June 26, 2016 12:31PM

Annandale Dude,

White Oak Canyon, is a keeper.

How long do you think the hike would take? I googled it but having a hard time figuring out on the map?

Posted by: Worldsuxnow ()
Date: June 26, 2016 02:36PM

No longer exist. They are all gay sex areas or posted due to lawyers suing if kids get a splinter on their property. Go out to West Virginia or pa and you can still find them. The douche creep hasn't made it that far from DC quite yet.

Posted by: Free Change ()
Date: June 26, 2016 04:07PM

I prefer the fountains out at Dulles Airport. Not very deep, but there are no Mexicans to deal with.

Posted by: AnnandaleDude ()
Date: June 26, 2016 04:11PM

JeepLoveSWFL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Annandale Dude,
>
> White Oak Canyon, is a keeper.
>
> How long do you think the hike would take? I
> googled it but having a hard time figuring out on
> the map?

It is a great hike, even without partially nude women :)

Here is a link with a good description http://www.hikingupward.com/SNP/WhiteOak/

Posted by: 3cchuL ()
Date: June 26, 2016 04:36PM

There used to be a place off of Rt 11 near Strasburg. It was pretty popular.

Posted by: Postman ()
Date: June 26, 2016 05:03PM

Stick with swimming pools unless you want a brain-eating amoeba munching on your gray matter.

Posted by: Avid cyclist ()
Date: June 26, 2016 09:39PM

Check out swimmingholes.org

There is a popular one near Frederick, MD that's legal. I forgot the name though.

Use a nose clip as a safeguard against the amoeba.

Posted by: MyUkx ()
Date: June 27, 2016 09:07AM

MyUkx

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.