HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Senate contenders agree on what's best for Virginians
Posted by: VA Politics ()
Date: June 14, 2012 08:47PM

Senate contenders agree on what's best for Virginians
Thursday - 6/14/2012, 10:17am ET
http://www.wtop.com/120/2903528/Senate-contenders-agree-on-whats-best-for-Virginians

WASHINGTON - The two former chief executives of the Old Dominion vying to fill Jim Webb's U.S. Senate seat agree on what they say is a fundamental issue at the forefront for Virginians.

Republican George Allen and Democrat Tim Kaine, both former governors of Virginia, told WTOP on Thursday that breaking partisan gridlock on Capitol Hill is among Virginians' top priorities, and each of their tenures in the governor's mansion prove they are the best man for the job.

Both men led the state at times of opposition party control of the Virginia legislature, which prepares them to take on crippling polarity in Washington, they say.

"The goal is to win, but it's not to win for any party," said Allen, who served as Virginia governor from 1994 to 1999, and as senator from 2001 until he lost reelection to Webb in 2007.

Partisan gridlock has prevented Congress from successfully passing a full budget in three years, he says, saying anything that passes the House "dries up like a glass of water in the desert when it gets to the Senate."

"If nothing gets done next year, there's going to be horrendous tax increases on everyone," he says.

The key solution is to find someone across the aisle who shares a view on one particular issue, even if they disagree on ideology, to get "people to agree on the mission," he says.

Kaine points to the bipartisan budget efforts from the "Gang of Six," which includes Sen. Mark Warner, D-Va., as an opportunity to rebuild "civility across the aisle." The former governor from 2006 to 2010 says he would like to join that effort.

"I don't care whether the gang is 14, six or one and a half. If there is a gang in the Senate working across the aisle to solve problems, I'm going to be a part of it," Kaine says.

The Senate should produce a bipartisan budget plan, even if it isn't passed or voted on, for the current slate of candidates to support or denounce, he says.

"I think it's really important to have a bipartisan budget solution document down on the table," he says, so constituents can see precisely where their potential representatives stand, including President Barack Obama and former Gov. Mitt Romney, his opponent this fall.

Both Virginians also agree it's time for Americans to face siginficant cuts. Specifically, Allen suggests a hiring freeze across all federal departments, except those related to national defense and security, the elimination of czars and the application of Government Accountability Office findings to eliminate redundancies among multiple agencies.

WTOP's Paul D. Shinkman contributed to this report

Former Virginia governors Tim Kaine and George Allen. (AP/WTOP)Tim Kaine
The former Virginia governor and Democratic National Committee chairman speaks with WTOP.
Attachments:
249137.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Senate contenders agree on what's best for Virginians
Posted by: Partisan Gridlock ()
Date: June 15, 2012 01:47AM

Assuming they are both correct, in that ending partisan gridlock should be the number one goal of the US Senate, then who to elect is a no-brainer.

The Senate Democrats continue to "blame Bush" and say that a vote for a Republican is a vote to return to the past. Yet Senate Democrats have not even proposed a budget in three years. Which they are required to do by law.

The Democrats have controlled the Senate for the past four years, and had a filibuster proof majority for two years. List their top three accomplishments during this time.

And now their excuse is that it's not their fault because of partisan gridlock?

Bullshit.

I'm betting that the Republicans learned from their mistakes that got them thrown out of office in 2008. Hope for change as they say.

Besides, goals of balancing the budget, reducing federal spending, returning the USA to a position of world leadership, and building that darn oil pipeline all seem like good ideas to me.

I'm voting for George Allen for Senate. And not just because of the cute girls in the picture above.

Posted by: I have the answer ()
Date: June 15, 2012 10:25AM

George Allen is not good for Virginia or the nation unless you want a country controlled by the Ku Klux Klan.

George Allen should fade back into obscurity and make money shouting "squeal like a pig" for television commercials for pawn shops. The man is useless, racist and DANGEROUS.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: June 15, 2012 11:16AM

Tim Kaine is a douche

Posted by: BrianSchoeneman ()
Date: June 15, 2012 11:17AM

I have the answer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> George Allen is not good for Virginia or the
> nation unless you want a country controlled by the
> Ku Klux Klan.
>
> George Allen should fade back into obscurity and
> make money shouting "squeal like a pig" for
> television commercials for pawn shops. The man is
> useless, racist and DANGEROUS.

I'm sure you were screaming for West Virginians to elect someone other than Robert Byrd when he was in the Senate.

Posted by: no way GOP ()
Date: June 15, 2012 12:10PM

Partisan Gridlock Wrote:

>
> The Democrats have controlled the Senate for the
> past four years, and had a filibuster proof
> majority for two years. List their top three
> accomplishments during this time.
>
>

okay - I'd start with

healthcare reform
ending the war in Iraq
Dodd-frank financial regulation

>
> I'm betting that the Republicans learned from
> their mistakes that got them thrown out of office
> in 2008. Hope for change as they say.

Have you a single piece of evidence for this?

Just look at the number of Koch funded tea-party deadheads that are littering congress at the moment and the parade of clowns and psychopaths who made up the GOP primaries

I wouldn't trust the GOP to sort my socks without stealing them let alone run the country

The only change is that the GOP has moved even further to the right and serving their billionaire masters with offers to gut the EPA etc

Want a war with Iran because Israel wants one? The GOP the party for you.

This is the anti-science party of cuccinelli you're talking about here

Posted by: Great Caesers Ghost ()
Date: June 15, 2012 12:20PM

"Senate contenders agree on what's best for Virginians"

If they agree on something, then they are both wrong.

Posted by: Tim Who? ()
Date: June 16, 2012 07:24PM

When did Tim Kaine start identifying himself as a Virginian? What is it that he wants to do for Virginia?

Posted by: ICU ()
Date: June 16, 2012 07:32PM

Tim Who? Wrote:
> When did Tim Kaine start identifying himself as a
> Virginian? What is it that he wants to do for
> Virginia?

Ban our guns, roll out the red carpet for illegal aliens, shove gays
up our asses, and tax the Hell out of us. He's a Democrat for Crissakes.

Posted by: Romney the Warmonger ()
Date: June 16, 2012 11:31PM

Not only will Romney pack the government with Mormon fanatics and start implementing racist policies but he'll start wars with North Korea and Iran within 6 months of his inauguration.

Posted by: monty burns ()
Date: June 17, 2012 12:13AM

Romney the Warmonger Wrote:
> Not only will Romney pack the government with
> Mormon fanatics and start implementing racist
> policies but he'll start wars with North Korea and
> Iran within 6 months of his inauguration.

Good

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.