HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
69,430 "violations" of the SR&R
Posted by: qoiuroqwu ()
Date: June 13, 2012 05:11PM

Can anyone spell insanity or micromanagement?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 69,430 "violations" of the SR&R
Posted by: Wow or not? ()
Date: June 13, 2012 05:42PM

According to fcps there are 177,000 students in the system. So, during the entire year, approximately 40% of the students had ONE violation of the SR&R which includes dress code, insubordination, and other small infractions in addition to the major drug and violent offenses. Think of it this way, 40% of kids screwed up and got caught ONCE during the year. In reality, it's probably a few kids getting caught many, many times.

Doesn't seem like an outrageous number if you consider 180 or so days of school - on an average day, there are 386 SR&R referrals out of 177,000 students. I can't even do the math to come up what percentage of students are caught and referred on any given day.

Or it's insanity. Or micromanagement. Hell, let the kids run the schools...

Posted by: Who's crazy? ()
Date: June 13, 2012 08:22PM

Administrators enter EVERY violation, no matter how small, into a record keeping system. The purpose is to keep track. If a kiddo messes up once or twice, it serves as a record that he or she made a bad choice, and then figured out how to follow the rules. If a kid has repeated behavior problems, the schools can help him or her better if they know what is happening, when, with who, so on. Also, it is almost a given in the current climate that a kid who is a chronic offender will have a parent who thinks he or she can do no wrong. If the schools don't keep the record, they will say the school has no proof. If they do keep a record, they are micromanaging. The sad part for parents is that they pass up a great opportunity to help their kids when they fight the school at every turn. Fortunately, most parents are awesome, work with the schools when concerns arise, and we all move forward. It is too bad that there are still too many people here who look for fault in the actions of everyone else every time. Must be a tough life.

Posted by: NOVA_Native ()
Date: June 13, 2012 10:34PM

I sincerely hope you are not an employee of FCPS, though I fear you may be..."Administrators enter EVERY violation, no matter how small, into a record keeping system. The purpose is to keep track." Yes, that is generally what "record keeping systems" are used for.

I'm curious, aside from out-of-school suspensions, in exactly what ways do "the schools" "help" "chronic offender" (or any offenders) when "they know what is happening"? FCPS discipline is entirely punitive, and designed to sustain the image that the administrators are in charge at all times -- thereby reducing liability. To say otherwise is a self-serving lie. One need look no further than the episode reported in today's Post, in which a Herndon honor student and varsity athlete was not allowed to graduate with his class. What lesson did he learn and how will "tracking" this SR&R violation make one wit of difference to anyone? This student is gone, no doubt into a more tolerant collegiate environment, and I'd be willing to bet that the "lesson" he learned was how draconian the policies and small minded the administrators are in this vaunted school system.

This is not the school system I attended growing up in Fairfax County, and it is not the system that I want to pay for today.

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: June 14, 2012 12:42AM

90% of those violations happen between 7th and 12th grade.

So 63,000 violations among 82,000 or 76%.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.