HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Are there any good Russian Restaurants in the area?
Posted by: Food Czar ()
Date: June 10, 2012 12:27AM

I'm looking to try something new and realized I've never had any Russian food before. Does anyone know of any good Russian Restaurants in the area?
Attachments:
kgb.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are there any good Russian Restaurants in the area?
Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: June 10, 2012 12:45AM

"Good" and "Russian food" might be an oxymoron, but Russia House in Herndon has been there a long time and has a decent reputation.

Ask for the "Vory special"!

Posted by: Misty ()
Date: June 10, 2012 05:04AM

Greybeard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Good" and "Russian food" might be an oxymoron,
> but Russia House in Herndon has been there a long
> time and has a decent reputation.
>
> Ask for the "Vory special"!

I came here for an anniversary dinner on Monday. I have wanted to come here for a while but for one reason or another had not tried it until then. I can't comment on the authenticity of the meal being Russian however the website states to expect a French influence due to Russian czars hiring French chefs. I agreed that the food definitely had a French flair to it.

The location is a bit odd - office building - but we had no problems finding it because my husband works nearby. The decor is a bit traditional ( or outdated based on your way of looking at it) with white tablecloths, items from Russia, gold and burgundy drapes and chairs, etc. However the funky paintings of Russia kept it from looking stale, IMO.

We both had vodka drinks, and until now, I thought that I did not like vodka. Apparently I have been drinking low quality! They were delicious. We had the snails, Russian style, for an appetizer - they were also great tasting. For our entree, I had sauted trout and my husband had the grilled fillet mignon. I thought that my husband's steak was better tasting than my trout bc the trout had a slightly fishy taste that I don't care for. I wouldn't blame the trouts taste on the way it was prepared as often that can vary based on the fish (when it was caught, where it came from, etc) It is, after all, a fish! However it did not stop me from eating it all. Even the vegetables were great tasting. We finished with dessert - chocolate mousse for me and apple strudel for my husband. My chocolate mousse was divine! They were out of duck for this visit - something about the supplier being behind in the deliveries. O well - now I have a reason to come back!

The service was superb - looking at the photos, it appears our server was also the owner :) He was friendly, prompt and was able to handle all the occupied tables himself (about 5 were there at time we visited).

Loved it - it was pricey but we felt like it was money well spent on a memorable night out.

Posted by: WestfieldDad ()
Date: June 10, 2012 10:22AM

Misty -

Since you liked Russia House, the same people have a place called the Serbian Crown off Clovin Run near Rt. 7 that has an emphasis on more traditional Russian (read high-end dacha) food, though also includes French.

http://www.serbiancrown.com/

Serbian Crown was one of about 3 places in NoVa where my company took high rollers during the .COM era. I haven't been back since, so no guarantees.

Posted by: IvanTheTerrible ()
Date: June 10, 2012 10:49AM

A co-worker of mine went to Moscow during the Soviet
era and when she came back told us that Russian
food was terrible. There were no American or other
ethnic restaurants at the time and she was really
disappointed. That's all changed now but like the
old days, they're still importing chefs from around
the world.

Posted by: babuska ()
Date: June 11, 2012 02:31PM

Taters and vodka mmmmmmmm.....and government bread Fridays!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Alex Ovechkin ()
Date: June 11, 2012 03:31PM

http://russiahouselounge.com/

Yup, +1 for the Russia House. Me and my homey Semin pimp it at their downtown location...

Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: June 11, 2012 11:24PM

Russian Gourmet-various locations, small stores. They do have bear meat. I do dread that the bear is from the one that couldn't ride the unicycle, but its still good.

Posted by: Dimitri ()
Date: June 12, 2012 09:00AM

Two thoughts:

1) Chicken Kiev is awesome!

2) OP probably found that stupid pic and wanted to find a way to use it in a post. My guess is he doesn't care about Russian food. Putz.

Date: June 12, 2012 09:17AM

When I was college, our main dining hall had chicken kiev once a month or so. I'd eat three of them. That and the buttered noodles they served with them.

Probably a 2500 calorie meal, but you could get away with that back then.

Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: June 12, 2012 06:30PM

Chicken Kiev-aka Ukranian Sailor. Must be a bitch seeing all of the Jews they killed from their glass bottomed ships.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.