HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Should I switch from Cox to FIOS
Posted by: Fairfaxian ()
Date: May 29, 2012 08:57AM

I have had Cox Internet had cable for a number fo years and am generally happy with both although I have gone through 5-6 cable boxes recently due to problems.

I am thinking of switching to FIOs for quicker Internet and would apprecicate knowing what your experience with it has been.

The sales pitch is that FIOS Internet speed is significantly faster than Cox but would like to get some confirmation on that. Also, Verizon customer service can be really bad and I've heard there are very long wait times (i.e. 3 weeks) to get someone out to fix your system if it goes down. Does anyone have experience with that?

Any other general impressions of FIOS vs. Cox?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Should I switch from Cox to FIOS
Posted by: Olde Farte, II ()
Date: May 29, 2012 09:11AM

Fairfaxian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The sales pitch is that FIOS Internet speed is
> significantly faster than Cox but would like to
> get some confirmation on that

There are plenty of comparison web sites.

I would tend to doubt the sales pitch (without looking into it).

Here's a regularly updated set of stats - note the pricing as well as the overall ratings. I do not know the source of the ratings, thus they are suspect:

http://www.dslreports.com/gbu

Posted by: anons ()
Date: May 29, 2012 09:33AM

Have you looked into Roku?

Posted by: TSC ()
Date: May 29, 2012 09:43AM

I've had FIOS for about five years and overall it's been a good
experience. I started out with Cox and became totally disgusted with
outages and the fact their customer service center was in India at
that time and the reps command of English was terrible.
From there I went to DirectTV. It was okay but outages and price
drove me to FIOS. The FIOS tech suppport center is in Parkersburg,
West Virginia and I've never had a problem. I'm a Hillbilly too so
their dialect of English is perfect for me.

Posted by: Stupid Poster ()
Date: May 29, 2012 10:55AM

Just switched from cox to fios. Got the triple play for the same price as internet and cable from cox and I get a $500 visa gift card from fios, thats a win to me

Posted by: DH ()
Date: May 29, 2012 03:19PM

I just switched from Direct TV and Verizon DSL to Fios.
I had Cox in the beginning, but it was nothing but trouble so I switched to Direct TV. Direct TV worked good for 10 years. A few outages during storms but I expected that. Verizon DSL work well. I never had any problems with it. The cost for Direct TV was getting crazy and when I talked to them about it, they said they could reduce it by $10 a month. Not enough in my opinion.
I went with the Fios triple play and it seems to be fine. Caller ID is squirrely sometimes. It's about $60 cheaper a month. I know the price is just for two years so we will see what happens after that. In the mean time, I have $60 extra a month

Posted by: Stan Laurel ()
Date: May 29, 2012 06:17PM

I've had Cox for the past 6 yrs and have been happy overall. I really haven't had any of the bad experiences many others have had. At first, the service at times used to cut out during storms. Yet for the past few years it has stopped doing that. I get nearly 30 Mbps/4 Mbps on my 15/2 plan so I can't complain. One small gripe I have is the 200 GB monthly data cap. From what I've heard, Fios has no such caps.

Posted by: LmXYw ()
Date: May 29, 2012 06:59PM

I'm thinking of switching, because on COX I don't get most of the channels I pay for. When you tune them, it says they are "unavailable". By which they mean: the switching head for your neighborhood does not have enough capacity to deliver all the channels. So the most recently popular channels (of the last 45 minutes) are the ones that are provisioned, and all the others are not tunable. And the ones I can't get are all the ones I bought the tier for: History, Discovery, SciFi, etc. The ones that are using up the allocation are the "international" foreign language stations.

Posted by: coxx ()
Date: May 29, 2012 07:14PM

DH Wrote:
> I know the price is just for two years so we will see what happens
> after that. In the mean time, I have $60 extra a
> month

I'll tell you what will happen. When your 2 years is about up, NON-PREMIUM channels will start to disappear. They will just happen to be channels that you watch (Speed Channel in my case). Coincidence? I don't think so.

When you call them and ask what happened to such and such channel, they'll tell you that such and such channel is no longer included in your bundle. But if you re-up for 2 more years for only $24.95 a month extra, they will put such and such channel back in your bundle. Isn't that nice of them!

This crooked stunt didn't work with me. I told them to stick the whole FiOS thing up their ass and I went back to Cox. I never saw that FiOS was any better anyway. Cox outages seem to be better now. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Verizon's contract beaners were cutting Cox's lines.

Yeah, you will save a few bucks for a couple years, but they WILL get it back, unless you do what I did.

Posted by: BS&T ()
Date: May 29, 2012 07:15PM

For Internet, FIOS blows Cox away. For TV, they're better too but you pay an arm and leg for it. They drop HD channels from their packages, moving them to the next tier and then you'll have to upgrade to get it. Also, their NT's (network terminals are the boxes that sit outside the house that the fiber connects to) are shit. They don't usually outright fail but they will slow down over time.

Roku isn't Internet access, it is a content provider. Perhaps viable if you're looking at TV packages, but not for Internet access. You have to already have Internet access to use Roku.

Finally, it doesn't matter if someone thinks they're getting 15mps or 30mps. There are very few sites that pump out material at more than 2 or 3mps. So what if speakeasy or broadband.gov tell you you're getting 45mps. Netflix is giving you less than 1mps and even newsgroup servers and file sharers like Rapidshare only give you about 3mps.

Posted by: frak_fios ()
Date: May 29, 2012 07:17PM

I had some initial issues with cox when I moved to my house 5 years ago, but it was resolved when they re-ran the cable going to my house and changed a splitter outside.

Verizon was supposed to show up right after I moved in and they did not and gave a lame excuse, so I got pissed off and called cox. I hear fios is ok for most, but prepare to be in hell if you ever needed to call their support. You'll get routed to many idiots at call centers throughout the world. Every time I have called cox I speak to someone that is in a domestic call center and the service guys have always been ok.

Most people I know hated their fios, I certainly have no plans to get it. It's supposed to be cheaper than cable, but that is a load of crap.

@Stan Laurel - I work from home a lot, so does my wife. I have 3 rokus for streaming hbogo and netflix, play a lot of online games...I think I usually cap about 100GB. I cannot even imagine capping the 200GB :)

Posted by: WestfieldDad ()
Date: May 29, 2012 08:22PM

Had Cox for about 5 years - Internet only. Was down frequently the first 3 years, still happened until we gave up last fall. Switched to FIOS and haven't had any problems.

One thing we do is use OpenDNS instead of either COX's or Verizon's DNS servers. Much faster pulling up complex pages that require a lot of DNS lookups & their DNS servers don't go down like COX's do. If you stick with COX, definitely switch.

http://www.opendns.com/

Posted by: Punaker ()
Date: May 29, 2012 08:39PM

At first you'll like FIOS but Verizon will start charging more in a year or two when your contract is up. I know a number of people this happened to and they switch back to cable or DirectTV.

Posted by: GoForIt ()
Date: May 29, 2012 10:14PM

I switched from COX to FIOS a year ago --- much better service and better pricing. I'm happy

Posted by: Curmudgeon ()
Date: May 29, 2012 10:37PM

Just switched from fios to cox. Fios is a little faster but Verizon's billing is way worse -- never the same amount two months in a row and the increases are always bullshit. They'll credit your account every time but it costs you an hour of you life every month.

I'm of the opinion that this is verizon's business plan. Rip off 10 million customers by 25 cents every month and if anybody waits on hold long enough to complain, just credit them and rob them again next month.

Posted by: Former Cox Subscriber ()
Date: May 29, 2012 10:44PM

Cox is CRAP. Their TV send is pixelated and their internet has regular outages. I switched from Cox to Verizon and couldn't be happier. Cox is still using old technology (coax cable). Not to mention they use packet limiting to throttle your bandwidth. FIOS is flawless.

Posted by: Cox suckers ()
Date: May 29, 2012 11:23PM

Curmudgeon Wrote:
> Just switched from fios to cox. Fios is a little
> faster but Verizon's billing is way worse -- never
> the same amount two months in a row and the
> increases are always bullshit. They'll credit
> your account every time but it costs you an hour
> of you life every month.
>
> I'm of the opinion that this is verizon's business
> plan. Rip off 10 million customers by 25 cents
> every month and if anybody waits on hold long
> enough to complain, just credit them and rob them
> again next month.

I love the FIOS service but you're right about Verizon's billing. It's a mess. God help you if you ever have problem with the bundled pricing. Phone people switch you to the TV people who switch you to the Internet people who switch you to the cellular people who switch you back to the phone group again. Took me about 6 months to get mine straightened out and only after I contacted their executive offices and threatened to take them to court since they'd incorrectly sent my account to collections.

Posted by: Another vote ()
Date: May 30, 2012 06:52AM

Switched from Cox to Fios after all-too-frequent lousy signal quality that made many stations unwatchable. Never had problem with Fios service, but their billing is horrible. Phone reps lied to us repeatedly, and it took months to undo the mess they created. If they make a promise on the phone to you, ask to record the conversation - you're going to need the evidence!

Posted by: Curmudgeon ()
Date: May 30, 2012 07:03AM

The real answer is that they're both horrible but for different reasons. Fios is technologically superior. Verizon customer service makes you come unhinged. I imagine they both sell you out to the gubment and throttle bandwidth.

I don't get why anyone would pay for tv anyway. You can watch everything on the net now.

Posted by: internetman ()
Date: May 30, 2012 11:27AM

Cox = Good Internet, Bad TV
Direct Tv = Resold Internet, Good TV
Verizon = Best Internet(Fiber-to-house), Good TV

My only gripe with Verizon is
1) Customer Service, even though i haven't called them much, i've delt with them in the past and they are the worst

2) They install there own Firewall/Router/AP. Good for home users, if you want to install your own router, it's not as easy as just replacing it, because VOD, and your TV guide are downloaded through the internet. It's possible, just a lot of reading to make it work, and Verizon will not help you if you have problems with VOD and other features. You loose some features too when you repleace your router, though nothing to major.

Verizon is Fiber, so that's the end game.

Posted by: FIOS! ()
Date: May 30, 2012 01:20PM

FIOS is 1000% better than Cox or Comcast.

Posted by: junebug ()
Date: April 24, 2013 07:10PM

I've been with Verizon about 3-4 years and due to billing errors I am switching back. This month's bill had an extra $260 charge for a supposed loss of Bundle discount covering all of last year (after a 2 yr plan finished). Called 4 times... no one knows anything, says they will help but next call shows nothing done. Terrible service.

About 2 years ago I switched to only HD TV's and returned two SD boxes and got 4 HD boxes.... did everything as told in returing the two SD boxes, and those two sets still remained on my bill for about 4 more months (until I threatened to quit several times).

As I am now in process of leaving verizon, I see on the online account page, that those two SD boxes are still listed on my account on a separate current equipment page (even though I am not being billed for them).

I was never happy with Cox before, but Verizon will drive you mad. I have to change my account just to undo their account screw-ups.

Posted by: Matt K ()
Date: April 30, 2013 02:49PM

YES COX IS OUTDATED, cox highest internet speed is 50/25 with their turbo boost, fios internet is 300/65 mbps, cox only supports 720 hd not the full 1080, cox does not have anything over verizon, anyone who complains about them just like to hear the sound of their own voice or owe verizon money, I work for verizon fios now, i used to work for cox but their employee discount was still not worth the awful serv ice. Cox 's internet is shared with your whole neighborhood and still use the copper coaxial cables, do a speed test in the middle of the day, i can guarantee it will be around 10/5 mbps when you pay for 50 megs and their turbo is a joke, it only works when u are downloading a huge file, so if you are not downloading, you wasting your money

Posted by: Some Perspective ()
Date: April 30, 2013 03:10PM

If you want a reality check about Verizon, talk to anybody you know in Japan or South Korea about what they pay for high speed internet (100+ mbps).

It's $10-15 USD max per month.

Or ask anyone in Europe or Scandinavia what they pay. Their speeds are 35-50 mbps for about the same price as in Japan and South Korea, the equivalent of ten or fifteen US dollars.

Verizon is taking the public for a ride.

Posted by: Hopper ()
Date: April 30, 2013 03:25PM

Matt K Wrote:
> YES COX IS OUTDATED, cox highest internet speed is
> 50/25 with their turbo boost, fios internet is
> 300/65 mbps, cox only supports 720 hd not the
> full 1080, cox does not have anything over
> verizon, anyone who complains about them just
> like to hear the sound of their own voice or
> owe verizon money, I work for verizon fios now, i
> used to work for cox but their employee discount
> was still not worth the awful serv ice. Cox 's
> internet is shared with your whole neighborhood
> and still use the copper coaxial cables, do a
> speed test in the middle of the day, i can
> guarantee it will be around 10/5 mbps when you
> pay for 50 megs and their turbo is a joke, it
> only works when u are downloading a huge file,
> so if you are not downloading, you wasting your
> money

You changed jobs just for the employee discount?

Posted by: matt 703 ()
Date: May 02, 2013 01:01PM

I switched from Cox because the HD selection SUCKS!!! I've had Fios for over 2 years now and absolutely love it... except the price. The bundle for all 3 is about $200, but I have 3 cable boxes and DVR, HBO, Showtime. Everything is in HD. For example, Cox has something like 2-3 HD HBOs, where Fios has 14 (including 2 family and 2 Spanish). If Fios is in your area, you should definitely switch.

Posted by: Jimmie Russell ()
Date: May 02, 2013 01:46PM

Dump your TV subscription.

You will be happier and smarter.

Posted by: Cox+1 ()
Date: May 04, 2013 10:07PM

Just switched from FiOs to Cox, due to a very large billing change on my account ($524 vs $237 (normal)) last month, which was a complete error IMHO, and then receiving terrible customer support relating to resolving that issue.

It almost seems that Verizon has a master manipulation plan in place that both produces large billing errors in their favor, while at the same time unduely hindering any customer attemp to disconnect service as a result of such errors.

I completed all stages - from disbelief upon opening last month's Verizon bill to speaking with Verizon Reps 5-6 times to disconnect - in about 3 weeks.

And yes I paid the bill prior to disconnecting (GF really yelled at me for that). And I'm happy to have Verizon out of my life for the time being.

Posted by: ALO ()
Date: May 07, 2013 09:49PM

Believe me, Cox may have sucked you in this time, but they Will UP UP UP your bill at the 1st time they get a chance (when whatever deal they sucked you in with expires...they don't tell you it expires --oh, by the way...)...Actually I think they are all theives...particularly with the T.V. portion...they charge an arm and a leg for basic t.v. service which has constant REPEATS of stuff that is as OLD as your Grandmother....The MOVIES are OLD and most of the year the rest of the SHOWS are OLD TOO, OLD OLD OLD....I guess unless you are 12 yrs old and everything appeals to you because it seems NEW>...What a RACKET.

Posted by: RWW ()
Date: May 24, 2015 11:30PM

I switched from Cox to Verizon five years ago. Was great till promotional price expired after two years. Service is still good, but price is a rip off. They still charge me over $15 dollars for two set top boxes every month. These obsolete boxes were paid for a long time ago with the monthly fees. That's just one way they rip you off. Loyal customers just keep watching there bills go up as technology makes cost cheaper for Verizon. Newer servers move much more data cheaper than eve, but Verizon and other providers keep finding ways to make us pay more for what cost them less. Loyal Customers also get nothing while new customers get the same service for close to half price. The other way they rip everybody off is by making you have to upgrade to a channel package that has 100 channels you don't want just to get one channel you do want. I am seriously thinking about doing away with the TV part and going back to an Antenna for local channels, and then using the internet (netflicks) to watch anything not on local TV when the need arises.

Posted by: bad support ()
Date: May 31, 2015 04:38PM

I'm a VerizoN Fios customer, and the Internet to certain sites has gotten really flaky. Not the sites' fault, I can access them fine anywhere else. It's probably their routing equipment close to my home, but their support people have so much hubris, its been like pulling teeth to get someone out to take a look. Been through 10 support reps and three missed appointments with them already on this one issue alone.

I'm thinking of switching back to Cox. FiOS is great until their infrastructure has an issue. Then God help you trying to convince them its their fault :/

Was a Cox customer for 7 years prior and never had issues with their support like I'm having with Fios now. I think they have less barriers of separation internally, and can organize their support efforts better

Posted by: Dean Wormer ()
Date: May 31, 2015 05:02PM

Cox is copper, Fios is fiber. No brainer to go with fiber if you can keep the rate down.

Posted by: Yes Thats Right ()
Date: May 31, 2015 06:13PM

> Verizon's billing is way worse -- never the same amount two months in a row and the increases are always bullshit. They'll credit your account every time but it costs you an hour of you life every month.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
They pulled this on me after I moved and got a new number after having the same old one with Verizon/ C&P for 31 years. It took months to get it straightened then they called me up and said my new enhanced internet was on. I never asked for that and its nothing to brag about.I finally gave up and paid at lest my bill is the same each month.

These are the reasons I told the bastards to F off after they ran FIOS down my street I don't want their stinking 500 card I turned it down.

And they wont give you a total price for anything boxes, taxes, fees, service,

There out to Be A Law ! You hear that McAullife!

Posted by: gauher ()
Date: June 26, 2015 11:40PM

was with Fios for last two years. customer service horrible. when I singe up with fios representative told me I will receive 300 dollar debit card. I never receive that. when call back they have lamb excuses. have no issue with service.
but when your contract is expired you entered in horrible face, you will pay double of new customers. whenever you call them they tell you different stories.
representative lie you. I wish to renew the contract representative give me a price and later price change to 30 dollars more than agreed. customer reprentatives are liar. they don't care you every time they want to rob you by selling some service.
I am moving to cox. I call cox they came to my door explain every thing and going to get it. yet not sure about service of cox,

Posted by: CopperII ()
Date: June 28, 2015 12:57PM

Cox is not bad. I moved from Verizon to Cox bundle, except kept the directv. You can elect different download speeds. My price is MUCH less, but will have to see when the promotion ends. I was told to just ask for the promotional price or threaten to leave. We'll see if it works.

Posted by: Embrace the Caps ()
Date: June 28, 2015 01:13PM

gauher Wrote:
> was with Fios for last two years. customer service
> horrible. when I singe up with fios representative
> told me I will receive 300 dollar debit card. I
> never receive that. when call back they have lamb
> excuses. have no issue with service.
> but when your contract is expired you entered in
> horrible face, you will pay double of new
> customers. whenever you call them they tell you
> different stories.
> representative lie you. I wish to renew the
> contract representative give me a price and later
> price change to 30 dollars more than agreed.
> customer reprentatives are liar. they don't care
> you every time they want to rob you by selling
> some service.
> I am moving to cox. I call cox they came to my
> door explain every thing and going to get it. yet
> not sure about service of cox,

Here is a neat trick. You can actually use the shift key with every letter on your keyboard. It doesn't just work with the letter "I". Try it out, I think it works with all PC's running DOS 1.0 or later.

Posted by: Dudeperfect007 ()
Date: April 02, 2018 10:29PM

Bumping this up.. any latest feedback will be appreciated.

Posted by: Up to you ()
Date: April 03, 2018 08:47AM

Bundled everything onto Verizon as soon as FiOS became available in our area. No regrets. And we get first-rate service when we go to get phone updates.

Posted by: Cut cable ()
Date: April 04, 2018 03:26AM

You only need internet service. Get an antenna and a Roku box for free tv. Get Google voice for free phone service. The end.

Posted by: Fuck FIOS ()
Date: April 04, 2018 03:37AM

Cut cable Wrote:
> You only need internet service. Get an antenna
> and a Roku box for free tv. Get Google voice for
> free phone service. The end.

It's almost impossible to downngrade from bundle to internet only with Verizon. Of course only new customers get the 50/50 for $39.

Posted by: Stockholm Syndrome? ()
Date: April 04, 2018 03:11PM

Verizon lobbied hard to repeal net neutrality. Go ahead open your wallet and pay your rapist monthly. You like that, don't you...?

Posted by: Blutarsky ()
Date: April 04, 2018 07:08PM

Fuck FIOS Wrote:
> Cut cable Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You only need internet service. Get an antenna
> > and a Roku box for free tv. Get Google voice
> for
> > free phone service. The end.
>
> It's almost impossible to downngrade from bundle
> to internet only with Verizon. Of course only new
> customers get the 50/50 for $39.

Impossible? Nothing is impossible! Was victory impossible after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

OP is considering switching from Cox, so in this context, getting internet-only from Verizon is doable. Don't be a Coxsucker - get FIOS!

Posted by: Haven't we done this? ()
Date: April 04, 2018 08:07PM

Near as I can tell, it mostly depends on your neighborhood's infrastructure. Both are decent where I live, but Cox used to suck. Then they replaced all the cables, pedestals, etc. and it's been fine since.

But I know folks in other neighborhoods with huge FiOS problems OR huge Cox problems, depending on the neighborhood.

So talk to your neighbors and find out what they have and how happy they are.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.