HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
VASAP class
Posted by: whatever2 ()
Date: April 25, 2008 10:23PM

do they breathalyze you in VASAP classes?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: VASAP class
Posted by: doh! ()
Date: April 25, 2008 10:30PM

nope

Posted by: Dirty Jersey ()
Date: April 26, 2008 04:53PM

No, so you can go there drunk

Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: April 26, 2008 08:57PM

They breathalize before class randomly and piss test you the first day. Don't listen to these guys.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: April 27, 2008 11:50AM

I thought I remembered being breathalyzed several times in asap class, but I didn't want the horde to shout me down lest my memory be incorrect....

the guy who taught my asap class in fairfax was also a total dick about things like even slight tardiness. That class is designed to be a punishment, since the only alternative to the minimally intrusive rigidity of it is usually jail.

Date: April 27, 2008 11:50AM

I might add I was never charged with an alcohol crime, ever, so why I was sent to that class is beyond me.

s
Date: April 27, 2008 11:56AM

s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2010 08:39PM by inkahootz.

Date: April 27, 2008 12:04PM

simple mj possession charge, I mean to say I KNOW why I was there, I don't think it makes any sense. I wasn't even driving when I got the ticket for it.

s
Date: April 27, 2008 12:18PM

s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2010 08:39PM by inkahootz.

Date: April 27, 2008 12:26PM

yup had to do intake at ADS, didn't manage to avoid any new charges tho (traffic ticket) so it ended up on my record, no jail time was ever considered though and having it on my record hasn't been a problem in the ten years since...so it's no big deal to me, maybe if I ever need a clearance I will be screwed, but I don't particularly want to know this country's secrets anyway.

Rs
Date: April 27, 2008 01:02PM

s

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2010 12:19AM by inkahootz.

Posted by: Dirty Jersey ()
Date: April 27, 2008 05:43PM

I had the ASAP class too for MJ possession, back when I was 17. All I remember is the guy teaching it told us he took LSD in Vietnam and was up for days

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: April 28, 2008 08:55AM

crap reston peace posted as genevieve, and is now going to edit it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2008 08:55AM by Genevieve.

Posted by: SE aka Douche/Jackass ()
Date: April 28, 2008 04:19PM

They only breathalyze the habitual offenders.

Date: April 28, 2008 05:04PM

They breathalyzed everyone in the class at the same time when I took it.

Posted by: watcher ()
Date: April 28, 2008 06:06PM

RESton Peace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> simple mj possession charge

That explains the haircut.

Date: April 29, 2008 07:37AM

watcher Wrote:
> RESton Peace Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > simple mj possession charge
>
> That explains the haircut.

No, that haircut was brought to you by Ativan™ and Valium™

Posted by: SRE ()
Date: April 29, 2008 08:41AM

This forum was brought to you by the letters "F" and "U" and the number "2"!

:-)

Date: May 03, 2008 12:00PM

Inkahootz,

I agree it was an unlikely situation. Here's what happened:

I get convvicted of the traffic offense. I am required to call my p.o. anmd report it, so I do, and she tells me she is required (I believe she used the word "forced") to report it up to the court. My p.o. was fresh out of college, maybe even still in college, and doing this for the first time. I was literally one of the first people she had reporting to her. She was just sticking close to the rules because of these things.

So she reported me, and when I got to court, I got to literally go first. This was Fairfax CITY court, not county. The judge was that old dude with the beard that rotates at the courts. You may know who i am talking about. He read my p.o.'s recommendation, and she asked him to extend my probation and not revoke. He said that was crazy, and he read me a mini riot act and revoked. He fined me 500 bucks on the spot and reinstated the full suspension of my license for the remaining time, which I might add was five days. I got nailed with five days left to go. Sucked.

Posted by: DeathByCop ()
Date: May 03, 2008 02:59PM

po's always ask to extend and not revoke. Why is that???

Posted by: Indigenous ()
Date: May 08, 2008 12:50AM

I was arrested for a DUI, pled down to a reckless. Got 6 mos probation and suspension of license. Finished ASAP classes recently. Will they call me in for random drug testing?

Posted by: SRE ()
Date: May 08, 2008 08:17AM

When your 6 months are up, you should get a letter from your PO (ASAP counselor) indicating that you have fulfilled your ASAP commitment and can go to the (always fun) DMV and get your license.

Until you have been released from ASAP oversight, you can be called in and tested whenever they feel like it. (And you get the honor of paying for the drug tests!) [Highly unlikely, but you signed some papers that agreed to this during your intake.]

Posted by: BreakFree ()
Date: May 20, 2008 05:18PM

I'm trying to accept a position at a new job, but haven't been told yet about the hours of the ASAP class? Does anyone know how the classes are set up? Days of the week, time, length? etc.

Please let me know. Thanks!

Posted by: Virginia ()
Date: May 22, 2008 05:51PM

If you have already attended your intake and were waiting for a class, call your PO and tell them about your new job. Their classes are once a week, two hours each session, for 10 weeks. Its a total of 20 hours. They usually meet from 6-8pm or 8-10pm. They do have morning classes and sometimes Saturday or Sunday classes. The Saturday and Sunday classes are sometimes longer than 2 hours so you can knock the class out quicker.

Date: May 23, 2008 03:16AM

I took it on Saturday mornings and I do not recall how long each class was..

Posted by: d'eau ()
Date: May 30, 2008 09:20AM

Yes they do breathalyse you. depending on which class you get put into. I was given a tube to hold onto through out the duration of my 10 week class and a breathalyser was administered every time. 8 am on SATURDAY, so it was no drinking for 10 Friday nights in college. : P that was a whole semester. One person blew I dont know what, but they were kicked out. Apparently if you blow anything they have to make you leave and your case will be sent back to court, because you sign a piece of paper that says you will not drink while in the program.

Posted by: shakeandbake ()
Date: June 09, 2008 02:35PM

what's the deal with the drug testing?? underage possession of alcohol charge, anyone been piss tested for anything because of this? i can understand breathlyzing, but should they have any right to test for anything else?

Posted by: DeathByCop ()
Date: June 09, 2008 02:49PM

They can do whatever they want. nowadays they put a lot dwi people in ADS as well, and that is constant drug monitoring for four months at least until the program is done. I did ASAP a long time ago, and they made me take one piss test at the beginng of the 'course', and then that was it.

shakeandbake Wrote:
> what's the deal with the drug testing?? underage
> possession of alcohol charge, anyone been piss
> tested for anything because of this? i can
> understand breathlyzing, but should they have any
> right to test for anything else?

VASAP Testing Procedure
Posted by: concerned VASAP ()
Date: December 21, 2008 03:49PM

I have my first random drug screen for the VASAP class in two days. My intake counselor gave me what she called a "30 day window" because I indicated that I smoked marijuana 5 days before my court date. (essentially she gave me 30 days to get clean). I have been clean for around 35 days... I have read that THC can stay in the body for up to around 45 days for heavy smokers (which I was). My questions are as follows: What kind of test is given? Is it a simnple strip test done on the spot? What are the ramifications if I fail because there are trace amounts in my system? Is it safe to bet that even if there is a small amount in my system I will pass because it will indicate that i've quit?

Any answers to these questions will be greatly appreciated.

Posted by: Katherine ()
Date: July 08, 2009 10:51AM

I am going to my last asap class tonight and I can tell you, Yes they do breathalyze you. In my case she normally did it ever other class, but if you went in obviously drunk you woulda been sent back to jail. Breaking the rules of your probation. Now as far as them testing you after the class is done, im not sure how that is going to work. I know they can call me intermittedly to come in for a test. Basically I think you should stay sober for the duration of your classes and the time they have you on probation...is a beer or a shot worth jail?

Posted by: katherine ()
Date: July 08, 2009 10:58AM

you were probably put in it if you were charged for anything to do with drugs OR alcohol..its a substance abuse class..not just an alcohol abuse class.

Re: VASAP Testing Procedure
Posted by: tinfoil... ()
Date: July 08, 2009 09:21PM

concerned VASAP Wrote:
> I have my first random drug screen for the VASAP
> class in two days. My intake counselor gave me
> what she called a "30 day window" because I
> indicated that I smoked marijuana 5 days before my
> court date. (essentially she gave me 30 days to
> get clean). I have been clean for around 35
> days... I have read that THC can stay in the body
> for up to around 45 days for heavy smokers (which
> I was). My questions are as follows: What kind
> of test is given? Is it a simnple strip test done
> on the spot? What are the ramifications if I fail
> because there are trace amounts in my system? Is
> it safe to bet that even if there is a small
> amount in my system I will pass because it will
> indicate that i've quit?
>
> Any answers to these questions will be greatly
> appreciated.

watch harsh times, great way to get around it, if your a fat fucker your fucked, if your skinny your ok

Posted by: Mike ()
Date: July 09, 2009 04:33PM

Good going!!! I'm gearing up for the start of the next asap class in Gloucester, my first time. Anybody attend asap in this county? So it's 10 2 hour classes? What do they talk about? Does it help anybody? What if you can't make a class because of work? Any answers would be great.

Posted by: Seann ()
Date: July 09, 2009 10:05PM

There are always hot chicks in ASAP classes. I believe it is because FCPD pulls over hot girls, and once they find them to be drunk, offer them two things to blow on. pick one go home, pick the other go to jail.

Posted by: someone ()
Date: February 01, 2010 11:15PM

I have my ASAP intake tomorrow for DWI. Do they really drug test on first day? I quit 2 days ago but it'll show in my system

Posted by: walter ()
Date: February 02, 2010 06:20AM

sometimes they do and sometime they dont. They definitely breathalyze you. I didnt get drug tested the whole time i was in ASAP.

Posted by: beenthere ()
Date: February 02, 2010 10:20AM

My son had to attend VASAP as a juvenile due to being caught in a car with other kids on a routine traffic stop, where they also found marijuana in the car. He denied smoking. He went to an informal hearing, and from there to VASAP. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Knowing what I know now, I would have refused to cooperate with that and gone onto regular court, and plead not guilty - which was where we ended up anyway.

You might as well think of yourself in jail. You sign your life away on the VASAP contract. They assign your class times and if you need to change them, they charge your more money to do so. If you don't finish in their rigid time frame (almost impossible to do in the 3 months he was allotted) it is back to court. We gave up a summer vacation for him to attend, but I have heard of people losing jobs over this.

He was clean - believe me this hover mother hauled him in for drug testing the day after he was caught in the car, and he was clean. I had him tested again a week before his informal hearing - he was clean. The next month he had a meeting with the probation counselor so I tested him again before going - clean. I am talking secure lab quality observed tests- all clean. A week or two later he started his classes and at the first class they tested the kids and his came out dirty for marijuana. He was adamant he was clean, so I had him re-tested at a private lab again the next day (my doctor must think we are some kind of temperance nuts) and he was clean. I got a copy of the VASAP test - they do test for every drug they can test you for - opiates, everything.

VASAP would not accept private results. They returned his case to the court - yes with the recommendation of even more of their crappy classes. And the one class he attended - it was crap and not worth a dime. I went too for the parent session and it was all bogus pyscho babble crap. I think all their employees seem like former druggies to me, or maybe current druggies given the snotty way they act.

And the group urine testing was chaotic and a joke - NO DOUBT someone switched their sample for his. There was no dye in the toilets, no security in the bathroom. He just handed over his unmarked sample to the lab dude. Lesson learned: GUARD YOUR SAMPLE!

It took 6 months to get this case through the juvenile court system, because at this point we had to hire an attorney and such. We called several attorneys and not a one was surprised that VASAP operates in such a careless manner. I personally spoke to their director and he is a clown who can admit no error by his staff and said the same thing others said here - their policy is to return the case to the courts. I got his drift. Return the case, get an extension and pad their budget some more with your fees for their services. And pad the number of people they are supposedly serving. Politicians love this program - it supposedly pays for itself despite having county employees - no point in complaining to your local politico. They love this program - keeps citizens out of jail and pays for itself.

Long story short, the prosecutor refused to prosecute since there was no specific evidence against him in the first place, thank goodness. Also the police officer refused to show up for the case too, effectively withdrawing the complaint. The Police Officer told me on the phone it was up to VASAP to provide their own proof, not him. VASAP did not show up at court either I might add, although I saw his probation officer in court that day. You couldn't miss her, she weighs about 350 lbs and takes up two chairs in the seating area. I am guessing former druggie who gained weight when she gave up the drugs/smoke/drink.

The VASAP purpose is only to punish you more than educate you and extend your case indefinitely until they deem themselves successful. Given the choice, I would rather pay the fine directly to the court system and skip the bogus classes.

To the person who has waited 35 days since smoking before testing - here is the benefit of my new found lab/drug knowledge. Wait 45+ days if you can. If not, drink LOTS of wator and gatorade and be very physically active - sweat a lot- run for miles. That may pull you through this Nazi system.

Posted by: really been there ()
Date: February 02, 2010 10:41AM

Re: VASAP class Posted by: beenthere ()
Date: February 02, 2010 10:20AM

And the group urine testing was chaotic and a joke - NO DOUBT someone switched their sample for his. There was no dye in the toilets, no security in the bathroom. He just handed over his unmarked sample to the lab dude. Lesson learned: GUARD YOUR SAMPLE!

That's bullshit. They use the same bathroom the probation dept uses. There are waste level mirrors all around the bathroom and a two way mirror that someone watches through. Everyone goes in one at atime and the sample containers are premarked with your name printed on it. There is no dye in the toilet because the attendant is right there watching you. Your son was lying to you, because that is how it is really done. It is not a completely fail safe chain of command, but it's nowhere as bad as you make it out to be.

Date: February 02, 2010 11:00AM

NOT BS!!

I WAS THERE - I saw people going and coming from the bathroom who were NOT part of the testing process. I saw a girl go in the men's room to "ask a question" of the bozo lab guy. There were a dozen plus kids milling about - there was NO CONTROl and plenty of distractions. He did not observe his test being labelled and sealed- something he has now learned to do if ever in that situation again which I hope to God he learned his lesson on that.

Did you not hear I had my son tested before and after (less than a week on either side) in a properly observed private lab - where he was the only one in there except for the lab person - and he tested negative at those times and at all times before or since. He is no angel, but he is innocent on this one.

So, this is probably the one time he was not lying to me. I know what I saw, I have been in a profession most of my adult life where random drug testing is required - there was always an ID process and dye in the toilets. There was none that night at VASAP.

Also, since I am not a "criminal" in my profession - if anyone ever tests positive they are allowed a re-test or can get a Drs. note for medication found whatever. Not so a VASAP. It is referred to the court no matter what, or at least that is what they told me. They could have saved us all time and money by doing a re-test (and they should have re-tested everyone tested that night!) but they would not even consider it. They are beyond rigid there and avoid them at all costs.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: February 02, 2010 11:14AM

46166571-superbowl-rings-1987-washington

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2015 02:12PM by WingNut.

Date: February 02, 2010 11:38AM

Maybe since this was juvenile only with parent VASAP session they were not so strict on the pee process. But they are so lame to throw all their staff and program problems back on the court system. The need an internal audit for sure - of their staff, curriculum and methods.

I did research drug testing at this time, and the particular test they used has a 4% false positive result. Maybe my kid was in that group - but I doubt it. With the kids milling around and in/out of the bathroom and chatting it up and distracting the staff - I think not.

Date: February 02, 2010 12:02PM

beenthere Wrote:
> NOT BS!!
>
> I WAS THERE - I saw people going and coming from
> the bathroom who were NOT part of the testing
> process. I saw a girl go in the men's room to "ask
> a question" of the bozo lab guy.

Why would he be in the men's room during the drug testing process? The men's room is straight accross from the test bathroom; the lab tech is suppoed to be in the obsevation room next door to the testing bathroom watcbing people pee in the cup.

There were a
> dozen plus kids milling about - there was NO
> CONTROl and plenty of distractions. He did not
> observe his test being labelled and sealed-
> something he has now learned to do if ever in that
> situation again which I hope to God he learned his
> lesson on that.

You are given a conatiner with a print labeled seal that seal after the sample is given.

> Did you not hear I had my son tested before and
> after (less than a week on either side) in a
> properly observed private lab - where he was the
> only one in there except for the lab person - and
> he tested negative at those times and at all times
> before or since. He is no angel, but he is
> innocent on this one.

marijuana can be out of your system in 2 days for single usage. so unless you tested him immediately after his sample was given it could have been out of his system by the next time you had him tested.

> So, this is probably the one time he was not lying
> to me. I know what I saw, I have been in a
> profession most of my adult life where random drug
> testing is required - there was always an ID
> process and dye in the toilets. There was none
> that night at VASAP.
>
> Also, since I am not a "criminal" in my profession
> - if anyone ever tests positive they are allowed a
> re-test or can get a Drs. note for medication
> found whatever. Not so a VASAP. It is referred to
> the court no matter what, or at least that is what
> they told me. They could have saved us all time
> and money by doing a re-test (and they should have
> re-tested everyone tested that night!) but they
> would not even consider it. They are beyond rigid
> there and avoid them at all costs.

The court and probation system do not do retests ( a fail is a fail) and false positives for THC are rare since they test for threshold levels of the toxin present in your system

Date: February 02, 2010 12:34PM

He was definitely in a Men's Bathroom at VASAP. The Lab guy was set up in there - I do not know why it was different from usual, I do not know what usual is. Girls went elsewhere, except the one who trotted in there with a "question". This was on a night with classes going on, if that makes a difference.

He peed into a cup that the Lab person poured into a bag. That was as much as he saw. He did not guard the chain of custody properly, but he is a juvenile and new to this and now he knows to do so. That is the only thing VASAP taught him. I mistakenly thought VASAP knew what they were doing.

The type of test they did - some kind of gas based urine test I would need to look it back up - can test back to 45 days to indicate usage. It is the same test our private lab uses. Now, he is young and athletic and could probably speed up his metabolism a few days, but not down to 2 days. The $20 CVS style pee-test is a day after test that only shows a few days/hours use. This is NOT what VASAP uses - prepare yourself to be clean up to 45 days prior for marijuana testing if your metabolism is average. There are supposedly products out there to help cleanse the system, but I am pretty sure he did use any of that.

I am not sure about the other drugs - cocaine, opiates and the like are also tested, but not sure about their shelf life in the urine as it did not pertain to him.

Courts should consider a re-testing, it would save everyone a lot of time, money and aggravation. I certainly would have paid for one - and stood right there observing the whole chain of custody for sure that time around. I would say VASAP sends cases to court just to extend them and thus do more business - have more active files, incur more fees, etc. That seemed to be their focus.

The prosecutor certainly looked at the evidence my attorney presented - 4 negative tests all around the date of the one positive VASAP test, saw no police officer (they paged him even in the courthouse - he was not showing up for this) and VASAP refused to respond to him too since it was their contention he was being returned on the orginal charge - of which there was really no case to begin with. The officer had only field tested the marijuana since he was only sending all the kids to ian nformal hearing, it was never lab tested. No one was using the marijuana - it was just a baggie under the seat that no one would claim as theirs, so all were charged with posession.

All in all, it was a waste of everyone's time and our money.

Date: February 02, 2010 10:01PM

beenthere Wrote:
> He was definitely in a Men's Bathroom at VASAP.
> The Lab guy was set up in there - I do not know
> why it was different from usual, I do not know
> what usual is. Girls went elsewhere, except the
> one who trotted in there with a "question". This
> was on a night with classes going on, if that
> makes a difference.
>
> He peed into a cup that the Lab person poured into
> a bag. That was as much as he saw. He did not
> guard the chain of custody properly, but he is a
> juvenile and new to this and now he knows to do
> so. That is the only thing VASAP taught him. I
> mistakenly thought VASAP knew what they were
> doing.
>
> The type of test they did - some kind of gas based
> urine test I would need to look it back up - can
> test back to 45 days to indicate usage. It is the
> same test our private lab uses. Now, he is young
> and athletic and could probably speed up his
> metabolism a few days, but not down to 2 days. The
> $20 CVS style pee-test is a day after test that
> only shows a few days/hours use. This is NOT what
> VASAP uses - prepare yourself to be clean up to 45
> days prior for marijuana testing if your
> metabolism is average.

45 days? Sorry, but no. After 45 days that shit would have half lifed outta here
I know they say 4 to 6 weeks for regular smokers w/ high THC levels, but I smoked weed 2 to 3 days before an FAA urine test and passed that shit. (I had been a regular smoker up until this point.)

Hair analysis can detect back up to 6 months, but they can be beat; trust me my gf did
it. Use the shit from PASS IT. However, if you are African American it won't work for coke because of certain attributes of their hair follicles.

There are supposedly
> products out there to help cleanse the system, but
> I am pretty sure he did use any of that.
>
>
> I am not sure about the other drugs - cocaine,
> opiates and the like are also tested, but not sure
> about their shelf life in the urine as it did not
> pertain to him.

in urine test/single use I have heard

marijuana: 2 to 3 days

coke: 3 to 5 days

opiates: 3 to 5 and 5 to 7 days

amphetamines 3 to 5 and 5 to 7 days

acid and hallucinogenics: hours

> Courts should consider a re-testing, it would save
> everyone a lot of time, money and aggravation. I
> certainly would have paid for one - and stood
> right there observing the whole chain of custody
> for sure that time around. I would say VASAP sends
> cases to court just to extend them and thus do
> more business - have more active files, incur more
> fees, etc. That seemed to be their focus.
>
> The prosecutor certainly looked at the evidence my
> attorney presented - 4 negative tests all around
> the date of the one positive VASAP test, saw no
> police officer (they paged him even in the
> courthouse - he was not showing up for this) and
> VASAP refused to respond to him too since it was
> their contention he was being returned on the
> orginal charge - of which there was really no case
> to begin with. The officer had only field tested
> the marijuana since he was only sending all the
> kids to ian nformal hearing, it was never lab
> tested. No one was using the marijuana - it was
> just a baggie under the seat that no one would
> claim as theirs, so all were charged with
> posession.
>
> All in all, it was a waste of everyone's time and
> our money.

Date: February 03, 2010 09:32AM

Gas-liquid chromatography/Mass spectrometry can detect marijuana back to 45 days. I just looked it up again. This is the test VASAP used on my son and also the private lab.It cost at least $75 a pop for testing.

What CVS and other home test companies sell is one that will detect 2-3 days usage and maybe a little longer depending on your metabolism. That costs around $20.

The fatter and less active you are, the longer it will stay in your system.

So, if you have smoked mj within the last month or so, I would not submit to a VASAP drug test.

VASAP TESTING
Posted by: need to know ()
Date: May 11, 2010 08:00PM

Never had a previous charge of any kind, got a dwi & gotta take VASAP classes....
My question is will i only be tested for alcohol, or will they test me for anything other than alcohol(green)?

In order words, will the drug test(s) i receive only test for the intoxicant(alcohol) at the time of my arrest?

Re: VASAP TESTING
Posted by: the deal ()
Date: May 11, 2010 08:13PM

need to know Wrote:
> Never had a previous charge of any kind, got a dwi
> & gotta take VASAP classes....
> My question is will i only be tested for alcohol,
> or will they test me for anything other than
> alcohol(green)?
>
> In order words, will the drug test(s) i receive
> only test for the intoxicant(alcohol) at the time
> of my arrest?

If u have no prior alcohol or drug related history u will just meet with a counselor once and then have to do asap breathalyzers before each asap class. If u have previous alcohol or drug arrests u will referred to ADS as well, which sucks, since you will have to take drug tests and your ADS counselor will act more like a probation officer.

Posted by: Mike ()
Date: May 21, 2010 10:42AM

Will they be testing you during your first actual class or during the initiation meeting ?

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: May 21, 2010 10:46AM

both

Posted by: jigggaaa ()
Date: May 21, 2010 11:24AM

To anyone posting asking whether or not you'll be tested or given a breathalyser, the answer is YES. Back in college I got put in ASAP for alcohol possession, and I got the works. Don't be a fucking idiot and act like you can breeze through it. Stop blazing and don't get drunk the night prior.

Posted by: d ()
Date: August 10, 2010 09:02AM

If I miss a vASAP class cause I did not have a ride. I just found out VASAP has filed to take me back to court for "failure to comply with VASAP". What will happen, will the judge understand I did not have a ride? will I Have to take it all over again? I lost my license for 6 mos? Can I get a restricted license once I complte VASAP and have paid for the program?

Date: August 10, 2010 09:08AM

What was your original charge? And do you have a lawyer?

Posted by: just me ()
Date: August 28, 2010 12:42AM

will the vasap class work with my work schedule.and will they allow me to take the classes in 4 consecative days

Posted by: alright ()
Date: August 29, 2010 12:26AM

To Beenthere, I think your son was probably smoking up. I was in a similar program recently where I was drug tested randomly twice a week. Awhile back I smoked late on a Saturday night and passed a test on Monday around noon.

I'm not a skinny person (not obese or anything either) and I was still able to pass. I didn't even try to drink a bunch of water or anything. I was just planing on fessing up. After that I smoked a few more times during the program with no problems. I am not a regular smoker though, and smoke in total maybe 3 times a month depending.

A real skinny guy I knew in the program failed for opiates and told me it'd been 8 days since he used so I don't know what's up with that. I think it all depends person to person and how much you are using consistently. I agree with reallybeenthere that the only way you could have really known was to go straight from there to your testing place and have him tested right away.

Posted by: Claire ()
Date: October 05, 2010 01:19AM

I personally don't smoke much at all. But i do drink. now i wouldn't be stupid enough to get drunk on or the day before one of my vasap classes. but i've heard that at some AA meetings, they give everyone tests for alcohol that isn't just a breath test, but apparently this test can locate the enzymes or bacteria in your urine or body that breaks down the alcohol. so if you drank like 3 or 4 days before, they could still tell based on finding that bacteria that only breaks down alcohol. Do you think they would do that in the vasap meetings??

Posted by: Carl ()
Date: November 10, 2010 05:19PM

So I completed my VASAP class in June. When I finished the class my P.O. told me that I would be on probation until Noveember and that I'd be randomly drug tested. Since completion of the VASAP class part, I haven't been drug tested or contacted at all by my P.O. Has anyone else been in the situation? did they forget about me? or will I get a call or mail at the end of the month?

Posted by: Gypsy ()
Date: November 30, 2010 07:12PM

How much do the classes cost?

Posted by: ass*ipes ()
Date: November 30, 2010 08:43PM

Really? Really? If you cannot afford a cab after drinking please move to West Virginia. We don't want you or need you.

Can I say redneck? God I hate your kind! Losers!!!

Posted by: Tony from Pedro ()
Date: November 30, 2010 10:24PM

Fairfax VASAP 1999; I got breathalyzed at the intake session and at only one of the classes. I had heard that Arlington breathalyzed at every class.

One guy blew a positive at the intake and fled; the tester said the guy was an idiot - he wouldn't have been arrested, only put on a fast track to a third party counseling program. Fleeing, however, violated his probation.

Posted by: wellcrap ()
Date: December 14, 2010 09:55PM

So, I have my intake tomorrow for ASAP in Arlington. I am worried about any kind of drug test, even though I have only smoked 1 time in the past year... stupidly it was 3 weeks ago. I have to imagine I'll be clean... but I mean who knows... Last thing I want to do is fail a drug test cause I smoked 1 time in a year...

That being said, can they really do random breath tests,,, like friday at 9PM... come in and get tested? Saturday at 8 AM come in and get tested? Sounds pretty frustrating?

Posted by: lakers24 ()
Date: December 15, 2010 12:12AM

How about ASAP in Fairfax? hey "wellcrap"- did you get testing during your intake? If so, did you tell them anything to make them think you had anything in your system, Or, were your charges drug related?? I signed something saying I will pay for asap which includes the cost of two ramdom drug tests...(in addition to education intervention and intake assessment and probation supervision) I am not on probation, persay, but my license is now restricted.
Thanks

Posted by: anon ()
Date: December 15, 2010 05:55PM

Had my first asap class in alrington yesterday, no breathalyser or drug screen.

Posted by: skim757 ()
Date: January 17, 2011 06:46PM

My instructor said he will only brethalyze if you are clearly drunk or he smells it on you. As far as drug tests, i have no clue. dont want to ask either cause itd put me on the spot. so no idea. im at the chesapeake bay building.

Posted by: Smith ()
Date: January 31, 2011 11:42AM

When you sign up for the VASAP classes how does it work? I heard they take your liscense untill you sign up (for a alc posession charge, 1st offense) and I have a plane ticket/vacation already planned for 2 weeks after I'd sign up. The trip is 2 weeks long. Could I schedule my class times around this? I need my liscense for the trip, so I can't wait to sign up untill after the trip.

Posted by: 703 ()
Date: January 31, 2011 02:27PM

They didn't take my licence, the DMV may do that if you have a suspended/restricted. If they want to take it (WHICH THEY WONT), just say its lost. No sweat. Good luck!

Posted by: 804 ()
Date: February 22, 2011 10:29AM

Does anyone know if paperwork is required for missing a class? I know if you miss one then you have to make it up, and if you miss 2 you have to start over. But if I miss one do I have to have a doctors note or something?

Posted by: April ()
Date: March 22, 2011 02:42PM

Im done with ASAP classes and have to take to take one final drug test to get discharged. Im not worried about the drugs just wondering if they test for alcohol in the urine. I havent had a drink for 48hrs but heard they could detect it up to 80 hours. Is this true???

Posted by: EGOD ()
Date: March 23, 2011 01:11AM

Yea man your fucked, they check, get ready for remedial ASAP man, they try it to get more money and it works, sorry asshole, next time dont get busted!

Posted by: sheknowswhatsgood ()
Date: March 23, 2011 05:03PM

to 804-

you do not need paperwork. As long as this is the first class you will miss. The next class you come in, your asap "teacher" will give you a piece of paper telling you that you owe 25$, how to pay them, and the date of your make up class.

I tried to pre-arrange my absence, so to speak, and he said they didn't do that. You can miss one class total- but you have to make it up.

Dont miss it unless youre doing something totally worth it =)

good luck

Posted by: thegirlwhoknows ()
Date: March 23, 2011 05:11PM

EGOD- How many more days before your test? I have a shit ton of advice for you if you have a day or 2...

Posted by: esfdxcvgwgdesf ()
Date: March 23, 2011 05:12PM

to April*** (not egod)

Posted by: EGOD ()
Date: March 24, 2011 01:46AM

Sorry I dont get tested, i just know, BECAUSE ONLY CHUMPS GET BUSTED, guy chumps, girl chumps, its pretty dam funny acually, nuffin better then to see a class of fool, that were all locked in cells at one point like wild beasts for gettin busted.

Posted by: Gwendolyn ()
Date: March 30, 2011 08:06PM

How often do new ASAP classes start, like how long after my conviction will I have to wait before I can get into one?
Also, I don't suppose there is any way to speed up the process....is it definitely going to take 10 weeks or are there classes that you can attend that are longer but take less than 10 weeks to complete?
After I complete my ASAP classes, can I get probation transferred to another state?
Sorry. lots of questions

Whats on the drug test???
Posted by: 703 ()
Date: April 01, 2011 12:11AM

WHAT kind of drugs do they TEST YOU FOR??? is it at 12 panel drug test? 15 panel? more? less? I have a "chain of custody drug screen packet" that i must bring to Inova hospital by tomorrow night....

Posted by: fatboyx ()
Date: April 01, 2011 06:00PM

I got a good one for this.

I was assigned my first intake appointment for this one Sunday. This is where they get all your information, make you pay the $400 some dollars to register for the classes, assign you a "group leader", etc etc.

There are about 30 people there; we're all sitting in the waiting room. I'm making small talk with some people, joking around trying to ease the situation that we are all in.

This chick walks in and sits down by the door, then proceeds to get up and leave for the bathroom for about 15 minutes. She comes back in the room right ahead of the counselor. The head counselor or whatever you wanna call him walks in. He hands out information/paperwork and puts a tape in the VHS players (gotta love their outdated shit) in the TV and lets us stew in our misery. After our short film is over he comes back in the room with a little machine and says: "Time to breathalyze ya!"

It made me kinda laugh, just had no idea they breathalyze you at an intake appointment. So he passes a bucket around the room with little personal tubes to blow into. Then proceeds to make his way around the room with the machine. He gets to this girl and she blows into the breathalyzer and the thing beeps like crazy. He goes "come with me" and they go right outside the door to have a little talk. When that door closes the whole room lights up with chatter, FUCKING HILLARIOUS! The door has a window too so you could see this guy just talking to her, like totally saying you're fucked. After about 5 minutes she comes back in grabs her stuff and leaves. It really brightened my day.

I'm pretty sure, if you get breathalzyed and blow anything, AT A FUCKING ASAP FACILITY, you're a fucking moron. I am also pretty sure that they can (AND WILL) slap you with another alcohol charge for that little mishap.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 01, 2011 06:03PM

@fatboyx

that is FUCKING HILARIOUS!!

Posted by: what an idiot ()
Date: April 01, 2011 07:26PM

Sucks to be her!! Wonder what she was doing in the bathroom, drinking or puking...? hmm

Common sense isnt so common anymore...

Posted by: That is so sad ()
Date: April 01, 2011 08:08PM

I am sad she got busted. Poor chick. She should have signed up for a Tuesday class.

Posted by: johny ()
Date: April 04, 2011 10:37AM

I have 2 more classes of asap left. i was recently arrested for a drunk in public in another jurisdiction....will they find out and what most likely will happen when i go back to court?

Posted by: redskin ()
Date: April 23, 2011 11:20PM

quit breaking the law asshole.(liar liar)

Posted by: Oliver ()
Date: April 24, 2011 11:49AM

Fatboyx did you take ASAP for DUI or some other charge?

Posted by: Ask Jordon ()
Date: April 24, 2011 09:42PM

He can show you the way.

Posted by: capsfan2327 ()
Date: April 24, 2011 11:53PM

For your initial VASAP assessment do you meet with your probation officer to go through your alcohol history and everything or is that with a random counselor? Do they already know your criminal history, for example, if I got a ticket like 5 years ago for fighting would I have to report this to my ASAP counselor or could I get away with not bringing it up?

Posted by: fairfax t2011 ()
Date: June 09, 2011 06:42PM

I am in VA ASAP program. My charges were reduced to reckless with ASAP and had to do only 1 AA class which I already attended.

There are no drugs involved. I am scheduled for a vacation to Italy in August which is after the class but still within six months ( restriced license). Do I need to notify my PO even though I haven't talked to him at all during all this time.

Can they call me after the class just to test alcohol?

Thanks

Probation Monitoring
Posted by: jimmer ()
Date: June 13, 2011 03:55AM

I recently got a public intoxication in another state with about 4 months left. Does anyone know if VASAP is checking other states for records or not?

Re: Probation Monitoring
Posted by: Ut videam ()
Date: June 13, 2011 08:54PM

jimmer Wrote:
> I recently got a public intoxication in another
> state with about 4 months left. Does anyone know
> if VASAP is checking other states for records or
> not?

Don't know—but here's hoping, jackass!

Posted by: Yas ()
Date: June 29, 2011 07:35PM

i got DUI in 8 months ago and they send to the ASAP classes and i didn't go to register and know the sent me mail with court date do i might go to the jail ? and what will going on in the court and do i need an attorney with me ??

Posted by: Whut? ()
Date: June 29, 2011 07:56PM

Um, are you a fetal-alcohol baby? You write like one.

Posted by: deezy ()
Date: August 16, 2011 12:14PM

I missed one class and have 4 left. I never got a letter from my teacher or my PO about missing the class. I am beginning to think that he didn't realize i wasn't there and never reported my miss to my po. Should I say anything or hope i got lucky?

Posted by: Temperance1 ()
Date: August 16, 2011 07:18PM

All odds for being lucky point to the ((NO!)) They keep good records. Suggest that you contact your PO about something mundane to test the waters and devise a pre-thought excuse just, in case. Missing a class is NOT easily forgiven in their beauracratic haze. Good luck and DON'T miss any more classes. You already messed up with your DUI conviction... and VASAP don't mess around. They are paid to, and expect you to- fail. Complete the program within ALL of their guidelines that you were given. A DUI these days is serious... kills your financial credit and closes many doors for future employment for a long time!

Posted by: deezy ()
Date: August 17, 2011 09:24AM

Thanks Temperance1,

I actually contacted my PO before missing the class or before my classes even started becuase I knew i would not be able to make it that particular week. She told me that the instructor would notify her and that i would receive a letter. None of those have happened. I am planning on calling her again to test the waters and find out if she knows I missed one without actually telling her outright. I'll post back with my findings.

Posted by: chump crusher ()
Date: August 17, 2011 06:45PM

I just love this forum, loads of chumps with DWI's all trying to find out how to beat the system. Deal with it chumps!!

Posted by: jj1 ()
Date: August 19, 2011 08:51AM

what happens if you miss your initial intake interview?

Posted by: you're fucked ()
Date: August 19, 2011 09:28AM

"what happens if you miss your initial intake interview?"

Bench warrant and re appear in court or jail

Re: ASAP class
Date: August 19, 2011 01:02PM

Seriously? Will the bench warrant be issued the same day?

Date: August 19, 2011 02:27PM

It will appear once it gets processed in the court system, you should get the warrant by mail, I would probably try to be proactive and contact vasap.

Date: August 19, 2011 02:39PM

thanks for advice you're f*****
you rock .

Posted by: klh ()
Date: August 28, 2011 02:22PM

I know someone that has his VASAP orientation on wednesday and its over a posession charge. Its his first offence. He smoked regularly until thursday. Hes been taking cleansing pills since then but has not been able to drink the amount of water told to drink bc it makes him sick and he would not be able to work then. My question is will they test at orientation and if so what will happen if it show up dirty?

Date: August 28, 2011 02:53PM

To get the answer

call (703) 246-2727

ask for Fred Nixon, call him an asshole, hang up repeat again.

Fred Nixon is fucking ass fucker asshole

Posted by: Stephen J ()
Date: September 14, 2011 11:07PM

Starting my first class September 19th, I hope to God that it is VASAP and not ADS if its ADS that would suck. I plan on passing all the tests, does anyone know how often they are?

Posted by: Burnout ()
Date: September 21, 2011 02:27PM

To Stephen J,

It'll be VASAP, you'll likely be put into ADS if you fail any of the drug tests... or they'll extend your probation or something along those lines, basically try to get more money out of you...

its somewhat of a money racket but I'm not complaining... Its a pretty good alternative for first offenders (of marijuana possession), which is the boat I'm in. I'd rather do this bullshit than have a possession charge on my record.

Lesson learned I suppose, never slack on following every precaution to avoid getting nabbed... ESPECIALLY in this county... ugh I hate most of the cops here ... just don't drive with weed in your car/or TRY to not let them search you but good luck with that... When I got caught, it was MID DAY for having my brake light out. Everything about the traffic stop was going fantastic, I was very polite and respectful to the officer and he treated me the same... He issued the warning, had me step out of my car to give it to me, and then just nicely asked if he could search my car, claiming it would look good to his lieutenant if he was out the searching people (buncha bullshit), I even said "so youd just like to search me for no reason really, is there ANY probable cause whatsoever?" and he just says no, not really I just want to search your car... I refused 3 more times telling him I was in somewhat of a hurry.. Then he proceeded to threaten me with a K9 unit.. I refused again, and waited a little bit before saying "okay fine you can take a look--- at whats in plain sight, since you havent done that yet, but you cant open anything in there... the officer stopped listening to me when I said "take a look" and just ransacked my car and found my weed in my backpack... like a gram in an airtight container... Wasn't cuffed or arrested, just ticketed. Since then, I've been searched TWICE during minor traffic stops, once for going 67 on 55 on the highway, and the other for having something hanging from my rearview... the last time I didn't let them search my car successfully, but listen to this-- the cop tried to pull probable cause RIGHT out of his ass... reached in my pocket and just grabbed whatever was in there while searching me for no reason outside of my car, and said "you know I think I got a whiff of some weed off the stuff in your pocket. you sure you dont have anything in your car, why can't I take a look"... after that I just flipped a shit cause it was ABSOLUTELY impossible that anything in my pocket smelled like weed.. he was silent after I called him out and then basically let me go... I told him I'm not letting you search my car simply because
I'm starting to take it personally now... Both times after the first, I was just on my way home from work... I don't understand, I'm so damn respectful and nice... I guess I just look suspicious somehow, or maybe its my piece of shit car... or I'm just really unlucky. I just need to get out of this damn area...

ANYWAY

VASAP will only test you twice after the intake assessment.. I thought I was going to get tested today during my intake assessment but they didn't, and my counselor put me into the minimum of the courses, which is just the education portion without AA or NA (narcotics anonymous). It really depends on how the counselor feels about you during the interview. I was honest during my interview and told them I had been smoking regularly since I got caught, and my counselor decided to not even give me the initial test... My prior understanding was, you can go in and fail the shit out of the first test, and they use that a baseline for your next tests, you just gotta make sure your levels go down... but my understanding was also that the first drug screening determines what courses you're placed into but thats not how it worked for me... I came in expecting to be put into the habitual user course considering how filthy my piss would have been if they had tested me but I guess not...

Damn I was just trying to answer your questions but I ranted like some shit...
Well the two tests will be random in the 6 months so just be careful dude, and if you haven't met your probation counselor yet be honest but not too honest don't act like you don't want to be there...

6 months really isn't all that bad... hang in there ladies and gentlemen! The sooner its over, the sooner you can go harddddd without a worry.

Posted by: SootEnTye ()
Date: September 21, 2011 02:42PM

When i took ASAP it was for an underage possesion of alcohol. But somehow i was in a class full of adults who all had gotten DUI's.

It is the Virginia Alchol and Substance Abuse Program, so to those that are wondering why they test for any and all drugs and alcohol that explains it. You obviously abused alcohol or some substance in some form so you have the potential risk to abuse other substances...

As far as testing we were given breath tests at the start of every class.

For the urine tests they seemed to sterotype the shit outta the participants as only myself the freshman college kid and the only black guy in the class actually got piss tested.

But when you get a piss test they give you a big plastic bag with cup and everything in it. If i remember right you have 48 hours to goto a Quest Diagnostic and get the test taken. It is not a on the spot pop test.

Hope this helps

Posted by: BeenThere ()
Date: September 21, 2011 02:48PM

They will likely test you first class. Their testing method is poor and unreliable, but they don't care. No one does. Politcians supposedly love this ASAP crap because it pays for itself and keeps people out of jail.

You will be kicked out of class if positive for any illegal substance no matter if it has a bearing on your original charge or not and summoned back to court- likely weeks/months after they report you. Once back in Court, you will be likely re-assigned to the same classes crap and your case will be continued on ad infinitum.

Its a scam to make money for the system and employ supposedly former druggies. Its a bad joke for their victims/inmates/students. I have never heard anyone say they saw the light and got sober after going to VASAP classes.

Posted by: SootEnTye ()
Date: September 21, 2011 03:23PM

If you want to pass your drug test i recommend...

1. Buying Qcarbo32 $40 from GNC or VitaminShoppe, drink this roughly 3 hours prior to your drug test as contrary to popular belief doesn't actually clean you out permanently, but rather gives you a 6-8 hour window of clean piss. (Drink lots of water after you take the drink. This drink gurantee's that you will pass or your money back but i have heard of some people failing using the drink, but they probably didnt follow the directions on the bottle and the ones i posted.

2. Method 2 which requires more balls but if done right is 100%. Get clean piss from someone guy or girl doesnt matter. If your test isnt for a few days freeze it right away in a water bottle and thaw a few hours prior to your test.

The hardest part of this is getting the temperature of the piss correct. To do this you will need thermometer of somesort. A cheap digital cooking thermometer is fast and easy to use and read. Good idea to get one that doesnt make any beeping sounds, usually the cheap ones dont.

Next you must heat the piss up to the correct temperature, to do this put the piss into a ziplock bag make sure its a good quality one not a cheap one, as well as some hand warmers (like the ones used when you go skiing). Insert the bag flat down the front of your pants and wear a pair of white tighties and a belt for safety. Leave a little bit of the top of the bag where the "zip" is protruding above your belt pant/waist line and sinch your belt down to keep the bag from moving/falling out, then tuck the excess/showing part of the bag ("zip part") down over top your underwear but under your pant waist.

(hope i explained it well enough)...
So the bag is against your skin with only the top inch or so of the bag with the zip part is sticking above your belt line.

Drop 2 hand warmers into your white tighties and then pull your underwear up over the bag still with the inch or so protruding above your waistline.

Now the bag of pee should be sandwhiched inbetween your bare skin and the handwarmers in the underwear. Take the inch or so of exposed bag and fold it down overtop of your underwear. Then pull your pants on to completely conceal the exposed bag, and sinch your belt down snugly ontop of your underwear waistline.

This method will ensure the bag will not move around and possibly fall out. If done correctly you should beable to walk/jog/jump with the bag being secure.

Now for the part that requires balls...

The day of the test wear long socks and long pants. stick your thermometer lengthways into your sock on the side of your calf/shin to conceal it. And prepare your undearwear and pants as above.

VERY IMPORTANT. It is always better that you get the pee too hot than not hot enough as you can always cool it down once you are in the bathroom.

When i tested they checked my pockets and put blue dye in the toilet water, and instructed me to not run anywater or flush the toilet. Also you have a timelimit of 3 or so minutes to do the test. If you are taking your test at quest diagnostic IT WILL NOT BE OBSERVED.

Close the door remove the bag and immediately test the temp of the pee with thermometer. If it is too hot blow directly on the pee. This actually cools it down surprisingly quickly so do not do it too much and keep testing after every 10 seconds of blowing on it. You are shooting for 97-99 degrees in temperature. after the pee in the bag is the correct temp dump it in the test cup stuff the bag back down your pants and return the thermometer to your sock.

Walk out with a big smile on your face and try not to act nervous.

It takes some balls but this method is fail proof long as you follow your directions.

ALSO AND VERY IMPORTANT YOU WILL WANT TO PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE THIS TECHNIQUE WITH WATER ATLEAST 3X BEFORE YOU ACTUALLY ATTEMPT IT IN THE TEST CENTER. IT IS EXTREMELY HELPFUL TO PRACTICE TO SEE 1 HOW LONG IT TAKES COLD PEE TO HEAT UP TO THE RIGHT TEMP AND HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE YOU TO COOL IT DOWN TO THE RIGHT TESTING TEMP IF IT IS TOO HOT.

REMEMBER YOU CAN ALWAYS QUICKLY COOL HOT PEE DOWN BUT IT IS VERY HARD TO QUICKLY HEAT PEE THAT IS TOO COLD ERR ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION AND GET THAT BABY HOT.

Good luck!

Posted by: Joe Blow ()
Date: September 28, 2011 07:09PM

the incompetence is rampant. in 05 I was ordered to have an interloc put on my truck in order to get restricted license. I had that done but the DMV was still giving me shit and wouldnt give me restricted for whatever reason but I already had this thing on and paid the money so I was driving suspended anyway so I went every month and had it downloaded and after a year when I finished VASAP sent me a letter saying I sucessfully completed all the requirements and was cleared to be reinstated. Nobody ever noticed that I hadnt gotten restricted license and was driving around suspended for a year. We were only made to blow in the first 5 classes and piss in the 7th.

Posted by: ddy ()
Date: October 14, 2011 11:40PM

I haven't had a drink since my dui and I've had my initial ASAP meeting (where I was breathalyzed). My classes don't start until December but I have to stop in to breathalyze once a week between Mon. and Thur. until then. I'm trying to limit the number of people who know about the dui and I have a company function next Friday My co-workers know I drink beer and there will be alcohol there. Don't want to raise suspicion by not drinking at all but wondering if I have a couple beers and don't test until the following Wed. or Thur. if it will be detected. Does anyone know for sure?

Posted by: noone ()
Date: October 15, 2011 02:34AM

Breathalizer only works for about an hour per beer, the urine tests can detech alcohol up to 80 hours.

Posted by: ddy ()
Date: October 15, 2011 08:08PM

Thanks so much noone. That is pretty consistent with everything else I've found as well.

Posted by: Stephen J ()
Date: October 16, 2011 09:11PM

I wasn't tested on the intake, but on the first orientation meeting i was tested and passed it. So my other question is can they still test you after you have finished all of the classes? I am supposvley free november 27th but can i be tested after that?

Posted by: sach ()
Date: November 30, 2011 04:58AM

do they drug test at the initial meeting

Posted by: Be There Done That ()
Date: December 16, 2011 10:02AM

Hi! I went through this a year ago when my Mom was dying of cancer for a DWI. I got my charges dropped down to a wet reckless driving. If, you get a probation officer named Rafael Ortiga. I think that's how you spell his name. This guy will try to fuck with you. Fred Nixon seems like a saint compared to this asshole.

Posted by: VASubVet ()
Date: December 17, 2011 11:10AM

I just completed the VASAP program, at the Bull Run Office. The program consisted of:
- an intake and evaluation (cost $300.00)
- referral and evaluation by private “counselor” (cost $90.00)
- 25 MANDATORY “counseling” sessions (cost $35.00 ea total $875.00)
- 5 MANDATORY “relapse prevention”/drug and driving “awareness” sessions (cost $25.00 ea total $75.00)
Total cost $1,340.00 for 47.5 hours of “getting my mind right”.

I had to sign a contract stating that I would not use illegal drugs or alcohol during my “treatment”. I also acknowledged, by my signature, that I agreed to drug testing (at any time) during the period I was enrolled in ASAP. During my 30 weeks of “treatment”, I was never asked to donate either a breath or urine sample. The only folks in my “treatment” groups/classes that were sampled, were “breathalyzed” via their ignition interlock devices (if one was so ordered by he court).

The entire experience was a waste of time as far as any rehabilitation was concerned. I learned nothing and the only thing of value I received was a handout listing the maximum punishments for DWI/DUI first and subsequent offenses. If I was given that handout at the time I received my VA drivers license, being aware of the penalties for DWI/DUI, I might have avoided the incident that caused me to enroll in VASAP to begin with.

A much more effective program would have been to increase the fine and give the guilty 48 hours of community service with mandatory participation in an alcohol awareness program, such as AA or RR.

Dealing with the ASAP and DMV personnel was very disheartening. They are typical government bureaucrats who presume you guilty before you even go to court and then tell you need to be punished for your crime against society. I guess from their perspective, a parking ticket is a crime against society. No one I dealt with in the program seemed interested in my rehabilitation. They just wanted my money, and as much of it as they could grab. Miss a session? Pay for it anyway!! Miss two sessions? Pay for them and go back to court, probably to go off to jail and/or be court ordered to mandatory in patient de-tox/re-hab (cost is no object for the guilty!).

Posted by: jane doe ()
Date: January 23, 2012 09:43PM

Any one missed a class and got to
Make it up or did u really have to go back to court

Posted by: thugslovehugs ()
Date: January 25, 2012 01:12AM

I have a restricted license. I have finished all my classes and I'm going in for what I think should be my final meeting on thursday morning. With 29 days left until I got my license I got pulled over for "Driving Outside Restriction" because I wa going to the store to get food because I had none at my house at the moment. I have notified my probation officer, but I have not headed from her. Should I contact my vasap case manager or should I just wait until thursday. I don't want to jeopardize my chances of getting my license for the month before my court date. Any advice? It would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by: Crying For you ()
Date: January 25, 2012 05:14AM

thugslovehugs Wrote:
> I have a restricted license. I have finished all
> my classes and I'm going in for what I think
> should be my final meeting on thursday morning.
> With 29 days left until I got my license I got
> pulled over for "Driving Outside Restriction"
> because I wa going to the store to get food
> because I had none at my house at the moment. I
> have notified my probation officer, but I have not
> headed from her. Should I contact my vasap case
> manager or should I just wait until thursday. I
> don't want to jeopardize my chances of getting my
> license for the month before my court date. Any
> advice? It would be greatly appreciated.

I wa going to the store to get food because I had none at my house at the moment.

You brought tears to my eyes with that sorry ass excuse. You should have walked your stupid ass to the 7/11. Hope you don't get your license for your continued stupidity.

Date: January 27, 2012 03:38PM

You were charged with,"Driving Outside Restriction", why were you pulled over in the first place? My instructions were to report to my VASAP case worker within 3 work days. How have you made out, so far?

Posted by: dbfour ()
Date: January 28, 2012 07:08PM

I'd flee the state before I ever went though that bullshit again. VA is becoming a fucking police state, and ASAP is their reeducation camp.

Posted by: sanduskied ()
Date: January 28, 2012 07:28PM

At my ASAP class the instructor kept me after class and touched me in the bad place. He said it was to test for illegal viagra and then he put his mouth on it and said he was checking for alcohol in my pee which he said would make it taste different. Then he did a rectal check to see if I had put any vodka-soaked tampons up there at all. It was pretty humiliating to be honest.

Posted by: wonderwoman ()
Date: March 12, 2012 10:40AM

I am a little confused by all the rambling mayhem on this blog. However, I am one of the unfortunate ones who made the mistake of driving under the influence and got caught. To all of the judgemental people who are taking the high and mighty stance, you have no clue who we are or what kind of people we are. A DWI/DUI are the only charges that affect criminals and non-criminals alike. Most everyone who drinks has driven before, even if it was only one.

Anyway, to sanduskied, you really need to report that incident to the police. Are you a minor? Did you realize when it was happening that it was clearly wrong?? I feel sorry for you if that happened. But you need to speak up because that person is likely doing it to others.

I go this week for my intake. I was transferred from Stafford Cty court to Fairfax Cty where I reside. I was hoping the stories about Fairfax VASAP were better than the Fredericksburg one, but it doesn't seem like it. If I go by everything that was said on here, I will be regularly tested during the 10 weeks of VASAP, then randomly tested for the remainder of the time of my restricted license, correct?

Also, why does everyone keep referring to a PO? I have not heard anything about being assigned to a PO. I don't know a lot about how this works, because no one close to me has gone through this. Any reasonable information would be appreciated.

Date: March 13, 2012 10:08AM

Please see my post above. I attended Bull Run ASAP in Pr. Wm. Co, I was never tested (breath or urine) during my one year in the program, My "PO" was really a case worker, not a probation officer. I reported to him/her as necessary, usually when the case worker wanted or needed to talk to me. Usual method of communication was US Mail. Good Luck! Any further questions about my experience, please post.

Posted by: r ()
Date: March 14, 2012 10:33AM

They don't drug test at VASAP they only do breath test...They make you watch hours of DR. Phil. PAINFUL! I should have got into this line of work. Each student pays $400 and the teacher basically shows a VCR tape of dr. phil each class..EASY $$$$$$$$!!!

Posted by: Lee ()
Date: March 27, 2012 07:23PM

This is a very pointless program. I
Smoke usually and drink
Rarely and nothing else and I'm going thru so much BS cuz of this and yes I almost lost my 2 jobs cuz I didn't get restricted right away and almost lost my house , car and fucked credit all to getting a small possesion of /Mary and first charge as an adult too! Bullshit

Posted by: Luvs2Splooge ()
Date: April 16, 2012 07:07PM

I'm enrolled in VASAP now. my meetings start May 1st in ffx county. This program is expensive but it's better than a misdemeanor. In addition, I've heard you're only drug tested twice and then you're basically scotch free. Don't drive unless you're bum-fuck retarded and just go to class. 6 months is nothing. Not driving sucks, probation sucks, community service sucks, but the worst part is not being able to smoke. I miss my green -_-

First random drug test is on the 24th of April. Poppin' niacin like candy.

Posted by: VASAPBULLRUN ()
Date: May 15, 2012 05:58PM

VASubVet Wrote:
> Please see my post above. I attended Bull Run
> ASAP in Pr. Wm. Co, I was never tested (breath or
> urine) during my one year in the program, My "PO"
> was really a case worker, not a probation officer.
> I reported to him/her as necessary, usually when
> the case worker wanted or needed to talk to me.
> Usual method of communication was US Mail. Good
> Luck! Any further questions about my experience,
> please post.

I am attending classes in Manassas Park, I didnt realize there were classes in Bull Run. Anyway, I know Manassas Park communicate through US Mail. What would the letter say, how much notice does it give you before you have to call in? I'm worried if I'm not at home for a few days that I'll miss the test? Thanks

Posted by: What? ()
Date: May 15, 2012 06:36PM

Manassas is a toilet. How about you stop it with the drinking and driving.

Date: May 15, 2012 10:11PM

Bull Run VASAP is the one located in Manassas Park (check your paperwork or the VASAP web page). They always gave me two weeks notice, by mail. Normal letter just told you the date, time, purpose, amd location of your next appointment. Classes, counseling appointments, final evaluation, etc.

Posted by: brainpolice ()
Date: May 22, 2012 03:08PM

i have my last asap class tonight. they breathalyzed us twice during the 9 week program and never drug tested anyone so far as i know. the class is very annoying, a complete waste of time but overwhelmingly easy. just show up on time and dont miss any classes and it goes quickly. 3 out of the 18 people in my "class" graduated from West Springfield for whatever thats worth

Posted by: BS ()
Date: May 22, 2012 03:15PM

They will drug test you whenever they feel like it. Stop being a loser and sober up.

Posted by: ddd ()
Date: May 22, 2012 04:59PM

VASAP is a JOKE...called PO 10 times without a call back...can someone call mr Robbins 703.246.2828 and tell him he's a dumb ass..1.5million people get dui's...thats over a half a billion $ to VASAP ...where does that money go?

Posted by: Jason ()
Date: May 22, 2012 06:37PM

Does anybody know what happens if you miss your first class? I showed up 2-5 minutes late and the sherriff would not let me in. I told my caseworker and have an appointment with her this week but I recently received a letter in the mail for court.

Now I'm scared sh!tless!!!

Posted by: davidoh ()
Date: May 28, 2012 11:06AM

I really would like someone who has gone through VASAP to give me the total picture. I just got a .20 dui in Arlington.

How many VASAP classes will I have to attend in total. Will they allow me to take them in Fairfax instead of Arlington (Is that a good idea?)

Am I required to abstain completely from alcohol for the length of the program?

Date: May 28, 2012 01:22PM

It seems different VASAP centers have different programs. Mine was in PW County. 25 weeks of "counseling" and 5 weeks of driver eduscation. Had to sign a document sating I would not drink ANY alcohol while in the program and was subject to drug test (breath and/or urine) at the whim of the VASAP counselors/case workers. We did have one "transfer" from Richmond, but that was a special circumstance.

Posted by: BS ()
Date: May 30, 2012 01:14AM

Got a DWI 10 years a go out of state and never did the out of state classes. Now Virginia finds out and revokes my liscense. Ans it sounds like I have to take ASAP in Virginia to get my record cleaned up out of state. Has anyone heard of this? I have a Virgina Liscense for 15 years and never any problems until now. This is BS!! is there anyone with this same issue? Any help would really be cool!! Thanks

Posted by: vasap testing ()
Date: May 31, 2012 04:48PM

Anybody tell me whether I would prefer Fairfax vasap to Arlington (if given a choice) .
Not trying to avoid my punishment. Any run down of what to expect and what I will experience in vasap (and adp isthat mandatory?)

Posted by: asapisawesome ()
Date: May 31, 2012 10:27PM

The Fairfax county ASAP classes are no big deal, and I actually found it helpful to talk to and listen to other people's situations. The sessions went by really quick and while not really useful, at least you get to hear about how other people got busted, some of which are interesting stories.

The stuff that goes along with ASAP depending on what your BAC level was sucks. One thing I never realized is that the higher your BAC is when you get caught the worse the punishment.

Counseling was really difficult for me, 6 months (give or take) of one on one, hour long congnitive behavioral therapy. The ASAP intake lies to you about having to go get an "evaluation". If they tell you that be ready to lose a lot of money and time going to counseling. My recommendation is just to go to the state run sessions, they probably take it less seriously than if you go to one of counselors off their "approved list". You can also double, triple up on the Fairfax run sessions in one day. I pretty much was scared to do anything other than skirt the truth the whole time with my counselor in fear that they would extend the amount of sessions -- which in the end defeats the purpose.

The interlock is no fun either .... if you are in VA and a first time DUI offender after July 1st, they can make you get interlock now, no matter what your BAC is. I don't know if its mandatory or not, but trust me you don't want to deal with it.

Finally not being able to drive anywhere but home/work for a whole year is probably one of the most depressing things I've ever had to deal with so far in my life. You better hope you are married, have a live in significant other, live in a city, or have REALLY awesome friends. Otherwise good luck doing anything social like dating, you'd probably be better off with herpes.

If anyone has any specific questions about the whole process in Fairfax let me know and I'll gladly answer what I can.

Short of it is, if you are going out "drinking" don't drive -- eventually you will probably get busted.

Posted by: reply to asapis awesome ()
Date: June 01, 2012 10:48AM

How long is the max ads
I take it from your postthat I should opt for the county run instead of private. My lawyer thinks he can work it so I do vsap inmy home county of Fairfax (instead of Arlington) good idea?

Posted by: Ahmayzin ()
Date: June 01, 2012 11:11AM

They are random. BEst thing to do is, if you have to drink the night before class....set a limit. A cut off time. I remember having Saturday class at 11am. I would hang out until 10pm. No more than 3 beers.

I'll never forget the time this older guy came in REAKING of alcohol. Dude probably could have blown an easy .20. He faked a mild heart attack right when the instructor walked in. Got away with it....insane.

Posted by: Ahmayzin ()
Date: June 01, 2012 11:14AM

The level you blow also plays a big part. ASAP is always the same....12 classes I think. ADS varies depending on the offense and what level you blow. I had to do about 12-15 weeks of ADS and I blew .12 I think. Guys in there with me blew like .20 +....they were doing 20+ weeks.

Date: June 01, 2012 11:15AM

If you mean ADS counseling, I heard of people getting as many as 24 sessions. But again, you can do multiple sessions a week, and multiple sessoins an hour, plus its group counseling so you only talk maybe 15 mins per session, the rest is listening. If you do the private counseling its most likely one on one which means you are talking the whole time, and if it was like my situation they weren't available to do more than 1 hour at a time, or 1 session a week.

As far as doing ASAP in Fairfax vs Arlington, I don't have any experience with Arlington, but Fairfax was pretty easy. Keep in mind your restricted license allows you to drive to ASAP so if you spend much time in Arlington then being able to drive there because of ASAP might actually be beneficial.

Posted by: Pao ()
Date: June 01, 2012 03:00PM

i just recently got a DWI and im thinking of signing up for the VASAP classes before my actualy court date, would that be a good move in front of the judge or might as well wait ? its a first offence but i blew a .18 ...AND also i was wondering if i should definitely get a lawyer or should i just use the appointed court lawyers to save money ? info would be so very helpful THANKS !

Date: June 01, 2012 03:09PM

Without a lawyer you are looking at 5 days in jail... if that isn't a big deal to you then the lawyer probably isn't going to get you much else.

I would go ahead and pre-enroll for ASAP, it *might* help your case and at a bare minimum you will get that part done sooner.

Posted by: Pao ()
Date: June 01, 2012 03:21PM

But why am i seeing all these people say that these classes and restricted license is a better alternative to jail time? seems like they had to take the classes instead of the jail times...and im saying are the court appointed lawyers not good enough as representation? I just want to see if itll be neccesary to hire a lawyer. Ive asked around and some people didnt get a lawyer and didnt get jail time. Just wondering what to do

Date: June 01, 2012 04:13PM

From what I remember .15 or higher BAC is 5 days mandatory jail time. .20 or higher is 10 days mandatory jail time. The only way people get out of jail at those BAC levels is if you or your lawyer can plea down the BAC level you had when arrested. The one that counts is the one they had got at the station. If there was any kind of discrepancy with the BAC levels (field test vs station) that might be grounds for getting it reduced. In my experience they won't just lower it because you pre-enrolled for ASAP.

Posted by: ffxsux ()
Date: June 01, 2012 05:01PM

Watch them make your pee samples! I was tested because I was on medicade and came up posistive, but at 8mo pregnant, I hadn't smoked in over 7months! Required to take ASAP AND parenting classes!!! I tested negative 3days later at ADS intake!!!!

And like someone said before, if you're a fattie, it doesn't pass from your system in 2 days...not even 2 weeks!!! Trust me, at 8mo preggo, I was a fattie, it did not miracurously pass outta my system, it was never there! And 6mo of hell to go through cause someone fucked up!

Date: June 01, 2012 07:06PM

Get a blood test, not a breath test. It's much easier to refute. I got my BAC totally thrown out and and got off with no jail, minimum fine, and no ignition interlock. Just ASAP and 1 year restricted license.

Date: June 02, 2012 09:16AM

Unfortunately, I learned too late that starting VASAP prior to trial does nothing except hurt your case with the VASAP folks. I was pre-judged and punished by them with the maximum "rehabilitation" program (read more time and money) based on the BAC on my ticket (>.2%). If I waited till after court, I pleaded guilty to refusal (0,0%), thus not requiring all that "rehabilitation", 0.0% would have been the only number they saw.

Remember, these people do not want to stop drunk drivers. If there were no drunk drivers, an entire cottage industry would dry up and they would be out of jobs!!

Posted by: Manasshole ()
Date: June 26, 2012 09:29PM

I just got done with intake in bullrun asap, the case manager didnt breathlyze me or test me at all. Pretty nice people in there for the most part.I was wondering if anybody knew if the Bullrun vasap actually calls you in randomly to do a urine/breath test or do they wait till class.

Posted by: Dear VaSubVet ()
Date: June 27, 2012 07:51AM

Sure ask for the blood test. I hope you paid a lot for it.

You still were drinking and driving. Did you learn your lesson? Just ASAP and a restricted license sounds awful.

No where do you seem remorseful.

I guess you think you beat the system and won.

All of you are losers!

Date: July 01, 2012 06:04PM

Blood test cost as much as a breath test.

A lot of people drink and drive, it's not against the law. When will the holier than thou learn that?

Why should I seem remorseful? I maintain I did nothing wrong, except run out of money to pay lawyers' fees.

Nothing to feel remorseful about. VASAP is a joke, the people are wasting a lot of money on it. The restricted license and ignition interlock programs are absolute farces. When will these idiots figure that out?

No, I don't think I beat the system. They got their pound of flesh.

If the idiots really wanted to stop repeat offenders (which they don't) they'd stop thinking they can "rehabilitate" people. Put some real teeth into enforcement, not punishment.

Posted by: MENSA reject ()
Date: July 01, 2012 06:13PM

VASubVet Wrote:
>
> A lot of people drink and drive, it's not against
> the law.
Attachments:
retard girl.jpg

Re: VASAP class Can you take opiates in VASAP if you are prescribed them by your Dr.?
Posted by: tired of it ()
Date: July 05, 2012 10:27PM

Can you take opiates while in VASAP if your Dr. has prescribed them to you?

Posted by: thrownunderthebus ()
Date: July 12, 2012 01:45PM

I just completed my intake in Fairfax today. There was no BAC with my DUI plea, and I have no criminal history, nor do I have any major traffic violations, I've never been in trouble due to alcohol and don't have a drinking problem. However, because I mentioned that I have anxiety problems and take medication for anxiety attacks, it seems I was considered high risk and ordered to the second tier of the program - abstinence, VASAP classes for 10 weeks, and AA or some other type of group counseling. I cannot believe this. It seems like you're always under the stigma of a DUI charge or conviction - whether you are guilty or not.
With that said, can anyone tell me how often I will be subject to random testing during my year of probation? Do they require urine/blood at every meeting or is it random? I hate not knowing what is going on, and I can't seem to get a clear understanding of how they make the determination.

Posted by: scottt ()
Date: July 16, 2012 10:35AM

you only have to be abstinate for the duration that you are enrolled in any asap mandated program. that includes the time that you are enrolled in vsap classes and any group therapy that the nazis force you into. do not test positive for any alcohol during this time or they will completely fuck you.

Date: July 18, 2012 01:17PM

Does random mean they can call you in at any hour to test? I would appreciate any clear definition/experience as to how this random testing works. I just want to know if I could get woken up in the middle of the night to come in and test, or if I am out of town, etc. I don't want to fail the program and am doing everything I'm supposed to. However, my paperwork said that I cannot consume alcohol for the duration of my probation - the assholes in Stafford County gave me 3 years probation. Does that mean I can't have a beer or a glass of wine for 3 years until my court proabtion is over???

Posted by: Porter ()
Date: July 18, 2012 02:04PM

Drink at your own risk. I would imagine they use the Ethyl glucuronide (EtG) urine screening, which looks back as far as 5 days. ASAP gives you 24 hours to take the screening kit to the testing facility. A missed screening is presumed to be a positive result.

Posted by: Max V ()
Date: July 23, 2012 01:53PM

I am on probation till February 1 2013, one more VASAP class to go, can they still drug test me after the classes are done? I have not be tested once and only caught an underage possession of alcohol charge anyone have any info for me?

Posted by: scott ()
Date: July 24, 2012 12:47PM

Porter Wrote:
> Drink at your own risk. I would imagine they use
> the Ethyl glucuronide (EtG) urine screening, which
> looks back as far as 5 days. ASAP gives you 24
> hours to take the screening kit to the testing
> facility. A missed screening is presumed to be a
> positive result.

This is not correct in Fairfax

Posted by: Sick2mystomach ()
Date: September 23, 2012 07:01PM

I'm very new to the state of VA & just got my license & registration changed to this state. I live in Alexandria but was pulled over, arrested, charged in with a DUI in Stafford, VA. This is my first offense and I don't have any traffic violations or anything on my record. So, yes I am freaking out. I did hire an attorney but after reading all these posts, I am terrified. I just pray the guidance my attorney is giving will be helpful but it sounds like this state will throw the book at you for anything. I work full time and I am part time military and having to do all these things will definitely be harsh but I guess it's more about safety and of course paying a considerable amount of money. I'm upset at myself because I don't even drink and the one time I decide to relax a bit, this is what I get handed to me. I definitely know I will not be drinking every again. I'm trying to keep my head up and stay positive but it is what it is.

Does anyone have any advice they would like to offer me?
I do appreciate being able to read all these experiences because it has given me a little more insigt to what I may be faced with.

Posted by: Burpees ()
Date: September 24, 2012 10:55PM

I'll throw in my two cents. I did VASAP for a possession charge a few years ago. I had a formal probation officer who tested me once a month. One of the requirements was that I did not abuse alcohol to the point that it interfered with my job/schooling. When I did VASAP, they told me to abstain completely. I was never urine tested, only given a breathalyzer at the end of each class. I was never called back by them and my papers went through to my P.O. after I was done with the classes.

I have a friend who got his third DUI in October. His probation stipulated abstainance from alcohol. He still drinks every night. He has two weeks of VASAP left and hasn't pissed once. Two of my other friends have gotten DUIs as well. Both drank during the VASAP program. Neither did the night before, and they only had breathalyzer tests.

From what I've heard and experienced, these classes are an inconvenience and little more than that. Be respectful, show up on time, and maybe don't drink the first few weeks until you get the feel for the class. If you work or go to school, you're much less likely to be called in for random testing.

Posted by: peeincup ()
Date: September 25, 2012 12:01AM

The VASAP classes from what I experienced, and everything I read, don't do anything other than the very occasional breathalyzer.

On the otherhand, if VASAP sends you to any type of counseling, that is where you will be required to submit to random EtG urine tests, which can detect alcohol consumption up to 80 hours.

Date: September 25, 2012 07:54PM

I'm not sure if the recent posting from Burpees & peeincup was some advice for me but I certainly appreciate it. Just not sure what to expect from court or the class other than shelling out $$$. I definitely don't want to be in this situation again ever in my life. I do work full time, so I'm hoping the VASAP will work with my schedule. Maybe I'm too optimistic about it...

Posted by: Burpees ()
Date: September 30, 2012 12:08AM

Sick2mystomach - You may be a little optimistic. It depends on where your probation is located. If it's in Arlington, there are classes that are easy to access for people with full time jobs during the week. If it's Fairfax or Alexandria, you should be able to do these classes after work. If you wind up having to do VASAP in Stafford for any reason (can't personally see why) then it may be tougher logistically. My guess, you'll be able to take these classes in the evening. Maybe you'll have to get off a little early one night a week.

What to expect from the class: 2 hour sessions for 10 weeks. Breathalyzers .I've never heard of anyone being urine tested before/after class in Arl/Ffx/Alex, and I've never heard of anyone being called in randomly unless your intake suggests an alcohol/drug problem or you get a non-compliance for any reason. It's an inconvenience, act interested, be respectful.

What to expect from court: Don't know if you read the thread, but hire an attorney. Punishments vary by case and district. From what I've seen my buddies go through, it's miserable and they try to ensure that you don't do it again.

Date: October 01, 2012 09:01PM

Thanks Burpees for the feedback. The attorney I hired has suggested I do the voluntary pre-enrollment into VASAP. So I've already sent in my stuff & was transferred to Fairfax but I'm going to ask for Alexandria.

Oh please believe me when I say, I don't drink & haven't since that night it happened. It's unfortunate but I'm passed remorseful because this is beyond anything I've ever done or been involved in to have to deal with in my life. What doesn't kill you will make you stronger. I just realize bad things can happen to good people or anyone for that matter. I'm respectful & pleasant naturally, it's not forced. So I just want to have my day in court with my attorney representation & deal with the cards I get handed. So this why I'm sick2mystomach. However, I will say never say what you won't do because life will make a liar out of anyone. Thank you again for the information, it has been helpful.

Date: October 02, 2012 06:45PM

I can only offer you the details of my experience with the MADD/DUI GESTAPO. In Pr. Wm. County, the penalty was 25, 1 and 1/2 hours sessions of group therapy (@ $35.00 a session). Also, 5, 2 hour sessions with the VASAP folks (included in the $375.00 VASAP fee). We had to agree to give urine samples as ordered and take breathalizer tests as ordered. No one in my group ever had to do either. However, one person was dropped from the program and had to do his/her "hard" jail time because his/her auto interlock system registered too high. I think the VA law has been changed to force you to get an interlock device, no matter waht you BAC conviction. Be careful with that device. A lot of folks had hard times with false positives and random check times (i.e. while driving down the beltway at rush hour).

Posted by: payitforward ()
Date: October 08, 2012 11:23PM

I appreciated the honest accounts on the internet and feel like it's my time to pay it forward. I too have put this experience behind me, albeit recently (half a year ago) and will speak from experience with a DUI. First, like Sick2mystomach, I was worried and looking all over the internet for any bit of information. It is comforting to hear others' experiences, thus why I'll share mine. I was one of the dumb ones who blew high enough to trigger the second level of misery, which contains many uncomfortable experiences, but since this thread primarily concerns VASAP and similar issues, I will stick to that and try to be as useful and brief as possible.

First, a law was passed that started in July, and if you get convicted of DUI, you'll have to get an interlock. The spirit behind the device is understandable, but you'll find that these are not designed very well. First, do your homework on the companies. They use different devices. If you don't drive your car a long way to work (more than 20 minutes total a day), the device *will* drain your battery. This is of course worse in the winter. There are some devices that apparently can have the head removed so that it is less battery draining. I didn't have that. If you must, you should purchase a trickle charger. I never had to deal with a disconnect, but I often would drive the car in circles around the block in order to prevent the drain. You will also have to make some hum noise as you blow to make it work. Trust me, you'll be so paranoid, and it's so loud, that you won't miss it. What might happen though is that you get bent out of shape trying to blow properly in the middle of traffic, and you may have to re-do it a few times. As long as you eventually get it right without turning off the car and leaving it, you won't log a refusal. So please remember, if it asks, you have to blow. I never blew a false positive nor an offense. Don't use mouthwash or nyquil. I was so paranoid I used Tom's natural toothpaste. Just deal, and you'll dance a jig the day you get it de-installed.

There is also a lot of confusion about breathalyzer and urine testing. As you have probably ascertained by simply reading this thread, it all depends upon your VASAP office. I know this firsthand, because I was a transfer but went to my original (where the offense took place) office to first get things sorted out. They did not, I repeat, did not make me sign an abstinence pledge. Because I had read on the internet that I might have to, I specifically asked about this, and they said they didn't do that. I wound up transfering to a place that did make you sign an abstinence pledge, regardless of what level you were placed in, even though the intro video (which was produced in 2006) said this would only affect treatment patients. I indeed *was* called in for two urine test over the course of the VASAP year as were others in my class with whom I remained in contact. It was indeed an Etg test administered by Redwood Toxicology labs. My one urine test was during my 10 week class, and the other was right before my mid-term meeting - so yes, the timing can be predictable. Furthermore, my office would send out a letter to notify participants of tests. There was not a quick 24 hour turnaround or anything like that. For the first test, I got a Monday letter for a Thursday test. In the other instance, I was given over a week's notice. I passed both. I should add that I was not in treatment. This was standard (albeit 2nd level) VASAP. We were breathalyzed in about half of our classes. By the by, once you get your license back (the VASAP release), you are done with them. So even if you have a 2-3 year probation, VASAP (if done properly) should only last a year. I also should mention that I don't advocate drinking during the program, but for those who are curious, it's absolute hogwash about the etg test going back 5 days. The amount of etg your body creates is dose dependent, so you aren't going to eat Bananas Foster on Friday and get a positive on Monday. I will say no more on this other than to direct interested parties to go google threads by DrBill100 on AskMehelpdesk. He provides LOADS of information, and he is extraordinarily knowledgeable (an academic it appears) and honest about the ins and outs of this test.

Finally, I will reiterate that it is anxiety-easing to hear others' experiences. I recommend reading "Life After a DUI" by Mappingirl (it's on wordpress - google it). It was written by a 30-something woman dealing with her DUI in VA. You'll notice that her experience was different too - again, it all depends upon your office and likely your counselor. I also recommend making small talk with your classmates. Many of them are willing to share their experiences, and you will have a better idea of what's in store for you. Many of my classmates knew folks who had been through the experience recently in my particular office, and their stories were helpful. There's a lot of baloney out there on the internet, so the best info you get is from those currently affected.

Posted by: goodinfo ()
Date: October 09, 2012 01:31PM

payitforward... if you don't mind you should include the counties you did your VASAP classes in.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't Fairfax based on your descriptions.

Re Interlock... Mine actually did drain my battery two times. Like you said, I ended up getting both a self jumpstart kit and trickle charger.

Also everything you said is very true, most "fault" blows are due to trying to duck your head down while in traffic to avoid looking stupid. I had my removable mouth piece pop out several times as well, which causes a fault. Once time it popped out and fell under my seat while driving... I didn't have a spare, and couldn't easily pull over so I was pretty much driving with my head between my legs. SCARY!

I also one blew a false positive because it was toward the end of my 6 month period and I had gotten comfortable enough to forget about the mouthwash. I had plans to meet with a girlfriend at my house after work, so I used mouthwash after working out at the office Gym and sure enough, set off the interlock, which in turn locks your car. I turned the car off, ran back into my office and proceeded to wash out my mouth about 5 times. The car was locked out for a few minutes, and finally let me attempt to start it again. The second time I passed and it started fine. As soon as I got home I called my ASAP case officer and reported the incident. I also got a voluntary urine test done the next day for my own protection which turned out unnecessary in my case, as the case officer said it was no big deal as long as the second time I blew it passed (and this did turn out to be the case when they did the final review of device logs).

Outside of false, or temporary test failures, the second biggest thing that trips people up (and my interlock company warned me about this) is people drinking the night before work, and then failing in the morning. I actually bought myself my own breathalyzer just to avoid this type of situation. You'd be surprised how long alcohol will stay in your system if you have a late night out. I've stopped drinking at 2-3am before and still be .03-.04 at 10 or 11am the next day.

You should share your story about what else you had to deal with due to having a high BAC.

Date: October 09, 2012 09:59PM

First, I would like to say thank you to everyone who has offered information on this thread, it's appreciated very much. I have voluntarily pre-enrolled with the VASAP in Fairfax & my intake is tomorrow, not sure how this will impact my case, if at all. Like I've mentioned before, I am not a drinker & since that evening of my incident, I haven't consumed any alcohol. It doesn't bother me not to drink but because I'm not a drinker I am unfamiliar with how long alcohol does stay in your system & I didn't prepare myself & do things to prevent it like eating or just not driving period. I'm petite in size, so my BAC level was higher than it should have been. So talk about being scared straight just from going thru the process so far & I haven't even been to court yet. I do have a lawyer but I'm not sure how much help this will be. I'm just ready to deal with the cards I get dealt & try to move on with my life the best way I can. I can't fathom ever being in this situation every again but all of this information has been undeniably helpful. I know the law is strict in VA but I'm prayerful that they don't throw the book at me but I'm certain there will be many inconveniences.

Thanks again to everyone.

Posted by: lolzzz ()
Date: October 09, 2012 11:16PM

Anyone starting nov 13 in bull run?

Posted by: annoyed1 ()
Date: October 22, 2012 09:15PM

so i will be done with fairfax asap next week. I have to start treatments once a week for i think 12 or 16 weeks. my question is for anyone with the same punishment. will they conduct urine testing on me? i did the intake already and did a urine test then, but i have been drinking since then (not driving) just don't want to end up back in court since i m supposed to not be drinking. if anyone with experience can answer it would be greatly appreciated.

Date: October 28, 2012 06:12PM

Rule for me was no drinking at all for the 1 year licence suspension. Which of course included the ASAP and "Treatment" period.

Posted by: Aces ()
Date: November 02, 2012 11:56AM

I am wondering how the whole VASAP ASAP process went for those charged with marijuana posession. It seems as though everyone on these forums has beem convicted of a DUI or DWI. This is my first offence and I have no priors. I was caught with less than a gram. Is the intake process the same? Do the different "class levels" apply for those charged with posession? Is there anyone who can tell me about their experience after taking 251 disposition from beginning to end?

I have my first "appointment" (whatever that means) on November 19th, 2012. When I went to court I had an out of state license, and was told I'd have to contact an ASAP program in my state. However, I will be here for work and decided I wanted to take the classes here instead. Its been two weeks since court and I've heard nothing. I attempted to contact the ASAP office, and the person assigned to my case, with no replies. So I finally just called and said I didnt want to wait for a return call, and made an appointment.

I will be back here to document how this whole thing turns out. I know that reading otheres experiences has been very helpful. Ive learned two certain things so far: that I will be paying out the ass, and that I can expect them to take there time sending out the completion information once this is all over.

Stay tuned...

Posted by: beerios ()
Date: November 03, 2012 05:47PM

Aces - I was put in a VASAP program for possession. I also had less than a gram, but amount doesn't matter, unless you've got intent to distribute. I'll tell you about my 251 disposition from beginning to end.

I was caught in PW county, transferred to Fairfax, where I lived. My PO gave me a list of conditions for probation, which included not missing any meetings, completing a VASAP program, refrain from using drugs, refrain from using alcohol to excess, notify any changes in employment/address. Standard stuff. Probation lasted 12 months.

My PO tested me pretty regularly, once a month at our scheduled meetings. I enrolled in VASAP, but I wasn't able to start the class for about three months after I was convicted. My attorney petitioned for a restricted license immediately, and I had a restricted for six months, no restrictions after that.

I did the classes. They asked about my drug/alcohol use, I told them a few times a week/month, didn't want the lengthy counseling sessions. I was placed in the 251 class, ten weeks.

For the period that I was in the classes, I was never urine tested by VASAP, only my PO. We got breathalyzed every class at the end. I complied, though. No drinking, no drugs at all. Also, I didn't smoke or take drugs at all on my probationary period, 12 months.

Because I was on probation through the court, not through VASAP, when I completed the classes, VASAP contacted the court, telling them I had finished the program. About a month later, my PO called and said I didn't have to make any more visits. I clarified with him that I was on unsupervised probation, he said yes. Still didn't want to have a positive test, so for those next six months, I didn't smoke.

What to expect varies by county. If you're in a larger county (Fairfax, Alexandria, Arlington) they'll offer a 251 program. If you're in a smaller county, you'll probably be in with other offenders. If you're on formal probation through the court system, expect your PO to drug test you, not VASAP.

Posted by: RVAretard ()
Date: November 21, 2012 09:18PM

I was convicted over the summer for a DWI in Powhatan County and no sufficient breath sample was taken. Because of this I luckily avoided jail but am due to start a 10 class program at Capital Area ASAP next Monday. Contrary to what some posting on here may think, those of us who receive DUIs aren't all pieces of garbage. I go to VCU, am involved on campus, make good grades and have a steady job. I feel terrible and stupid for what I did, and am lucky I haven't killed anyone. I don't even remember making the decision to drive, as it is very rare that I drink to the point of being blackout shitfaced when I'm drinking and never lose control of myself in such a way. To say I regret my decision is beyond an understatement, and I've cut back on my drinking basically all together so the breathalyzer thing isn't so bad, however I am wondering about two things regarding the class. I've never been much of a drinker, but for the past couple of years I have been a regular herb smoker (harmless crime)...I've been clean for 16 days now and have 5 more to go, so I'm wondering whether or not I will be tested for a first time alcohol offense with no previous record. Also, I've been told the payment on my first day will be $375, $300 for the DUI class specifically, and a $75 "intervention fee" (which is BULLSHIT). Is this the truth, or am I going to show up, bounce my debit payment and be deemed non-compliant? Reading all of these stories has freaked me out a little bit because of how nobody in these institutions seems to really give a fuck about the people taking the classes, and I'd like to have some knowledge going in so I don't get fucked over by a bunch of washed-up, faceless bureaucrats making minimum wage because they couldn't go anywhere in life.

Date: November 28, 2012 01:26PM

Why does your probation last 12 months? I was given 6 months with a 6month court date to complete my ASAP classes, and volunteer hours by.

Were you drug tested at your intake interview?

Posted by: Z3R0 ()
Date: November 28, 2012 01:37PM

RVAretard Wrote:
> I was convicted over the summer for a DWI in
> Powhatan County and no sufficient breath sample
> was taken. Because of this I luckily avoided jail
> but am due to start a 10 class program at Capital
> Area ASAP next Monday. Contrary to what some
> posting on here may think, those of us who receive
> DUIs aren't all pieces of garbage. I go to VCU, am
> involved on campus, make good grades and have a
> steady job. I feel terrible and stupid for what I
> did, and am lucky I haven't killed anyone. I don't
> even remember making the decision to drive, as it
> is very rare that I drink to the point of being
> blackout shitfaced when I'm drinking and never
> lose control of myself in such a way. To say I
> regret my decision is beyond an understatement,
> and I've cut back on my drinking basically all
> together so the breathalyzer thing isn't so bad,
> however I am wondering about two things regarding
> the class. I've never been much of a drinker, but
> for the past couple of years I have been a regular
> herb smoker (harmless crime)...I've been clean for
> 16 days now and have 5 more to go, so I'm
> wondering whether or not I will be tested for a
> first time alcohol offense with no previous
> record. Also, I've been told the payment on my
> first day will be $375, $300 for the DUI class
> specifically, and a $75 "intervention fee" (which
> is BULLSHIT). Is this the truth, or am I going to
> show up, bounce my debit payment and be deemed
> non-compliant? Reading all of these stories has
> freaked me out a little bit because of how nobody
> in these institutions seems to really give a fuck
> about the people taking the classes, and I'd like
> to have some knowledge going in so I don't get
> fucked over by a bunch of washed-up, faceless
> bureaucrats making minimum wage because they
> couldn't go anywhere in life.

No. you're pretty much a piece of shit (garbage is too lighthearted to describe your kind). And you go to VCU, so you're fucking stupid as well. What you need to do is down a 5th, shove your cock up your ass and hop in your ricermobile heading for the nearest tree/pole as fast as you can.

Date: November 28, 2012 06:40PM

Z3RO - All I read from your post is that your ass is heading for the nearest pole as fast as you can. Got something you wanna share, breh?

Aces - I was put on formal probation through the court for 12 months, so completing a VASAP class was just a condition of my probation. I had to report on a monthly basis, where my PO would ask that I provide a urine sample. I was never drug tested by VASAP, but if you're on probation through them and not the court, they very well may test you at your intake, I wouldn't be surprised if they did. While under their supervision, you don't want to give them any reason to think that you're smoking or drinking, so make sure you're clean at intake.

RVAretard - Tread lightly. It depends on your county. The people I know who have gotten DUIs were not tested. That being said, a girl I know is on probation for a DUI in a smaller county, dropped dirty on a UA for pot, and her case went back to court, and she went in for 120 days.

Date: December 03, 2012 01:31PM

UPDATES:
I wasn’t able to make my first appointment and had to reschedule twice which lead to an appointment today. What they don’t tell you is this is a group appointment and the consequences if you are not on time. My appointment was today at 7:45am. The Fairfax building is impossible to find and my navi lead me in the wrong direction. I ended up being 20min late. When I arrived they stated since I was not on time they would have to reschedule me which included a $25 fee. However, you’re only allowed to reschedule three times, so therefore I had to stay and wait until the 9:45am group.

Upon arrival you are given a breathalyzer test and paperwork to fill out which asks you questions about your alcohol/drug use. It’s a pointless form because they don’t look at it, and the intake counselor asks you over again.

They want to see your restricted license forms so make sure you bring them. Unbeknownst to me, the paper you get from the court is invalid until it is signed and stamped by the ASAP office. AFTER THAT its only good for 60 days, after which you have to go get a photo ID from the DMV ($$).

You’re then directed to the finance booth because of course they want your money upfront. They want you to pay the $350 upfront. They only accept credit cards or money orders?! I was not able to pay the full amount so they split in 2 payments due by the end of the month.

You then have to go in a room and wait with all the other “convicts”. The ASAP "receptionist" makes sure all the papers are filled out right, and then goes over the restricted license requirements, AGAIN, like insurance, a $220 reinstatement fee, not driving outside of restriction, and more money($$).

She then turns on a fifteen minute video made in the 1990s, which goes over the ASAP Agreement (ie required participation, your responsible for fees ($$). Basically, telling you that you have to pay out the ass, comply with whatever they say, and if you don’t you’ll be sent back to court.

Then you wait over an hour for an intake counselor to call you back, one at a time. During the interview they ask questions about your info, drug/alcohol use, and the events of your charge. They are trying to see how much of a user you are, but they really don’t care, because either way you’re getting the max classes and meetings they can assign. (My counselor told me they consider 4 drinks in one night as binge drinking for a female?!) Even though I was not a heavy drinker (three times a month) or smoker(twice a year), I was told I’d have to go to 6 Narcotics Anonymous meetings. I asked him "why, was I considered a heavy user?" his response was "No, but you did poses an illegal substance".

He then gives you several dates to start your classes and whatever you choose will be your assigned class for the next 10 weeks. He also gave me the business card for my "PO".

I asked him if he knew if this would yet show up on background checks, and he didn’t really know. I also asked him would he assign the NA meetings I had to go to, and he said I had to find them on my own. I asked where were the meetings noted in my paperwork, and he said nowhere?! To me they dont put it in writing because they want you to forget so later they can say you “haven’t completed the program, pay another fee”

So basically what I learned today is that they will find any reason possible to add extra fees, I am considered a big time drug user regardless, and the only help you can count on is help trying to send you back to court.

My classes begin next week, stay tuned...

Posted by: Z3R0 ()
Date: December 03, 2012 01:54PM

beerios Wrote:
> Z3RO - All I read from your post is that your ass
> is heading for the nearest pole as fast as you
> can. Got something you wanna share, breh?
>
> Aces - I was put on formal probation through the
> court for 12 months, so completing a VASAP class
> was just a condition of my probation. I had to
> report on a monthly basis, where my PO would ask
> that I provide a urine sample. I was never drug
> tested by VASAP, but if you're on probation
> through them and not the court, they very well may
> test you at your intake, I wouldn't be surprised
> if they did. While under their supervision, you
> don't want to give them any reason to think that
> you're smoking or drinking, so make sure you're
> clean at intake.
>
> RVAretard - Tread lightly. It depends on your
> county. The people I know who have gotten DUIs
> were not tested. That being said, a girl I know
> is on probation for a DUI in a smaller county,
> dropped dirty on a UA for pot, and her case went
> back to court, and she went in for 120 days.

sure. i'm not a breh, bro. but i'll serve you a long one anyway.

Posted by: JonJ ()
Date: December 05, 2012 01:00PM

curious to know how you got your dui dropped to reckless driving. Thank you.

Posted by: Drunktards ()
Date: December 05, 2012 01:22PM

lulz at all you drunken idiots. you should all rent a bus and drive your drunken asses off a bridge. pathetic.

Posted by: Druntards ()
Date: December 06, 2012 11:21AM

Hey drunkfags, have you all had our morning alcohol today? Fucking losers. Alcohols is a depressant. I hope all you idiots get so low, you blow your brains out. Pussies.

Posted by: EveryoneMakesMistakes ()
Date: December 10, 2012 04:40PM

I was recently ordered to ASAP (after more than 1 year in an out of court) and my intake is coming up. I am a little nervous about intake as I take prescribed medication that I know will be flagged in the urine test. I was told that if medications come up in your urine test, regardless of the fact that you have a prescription that they will force you into ADS classes. Has anyone had any experience with that or have any advice for me about the intake process? Any advice or information is appreciated!

Date: December 11, 2012 07:10PM

Drunktards Wrote:
> lulz at all you drunken idiots. you should all
> rent a bus and drive your drunken asses off a
> bridge. pathetic.

Yeah, I'm an NFL Player and I just killed my family 'cause I'm drunk. Make sure that's a first class ticket on the bus!

Date: December 13, 2012 11:59PM

Druntards Wrote:
> Hey drunkfags, have you all had our morning
> alcohol today? Fucking losers. Alcohols is a
> depressant. I hope all you idiots get so low, you
> blow your brains out. Pussies.

epic handle/post combo. learn to spell.

Posted by: confused ()
Date: January 14, 2013 11:56PM

wait why do so many people who supposedly aren't "drunkfags" like the rest of us go out of their way to find an obscure thread on the internet about a class they shouldn't even be aware of? i may be a drunk fuck up but at least i don't waste my precious time on the internet searching for some sort of hollow and useless gratification that comes from harassing people who fuck up. hop off your little preaching box and go back to your internet porn and life of boredom. lol have fun not getting laid Z3RO and Drunktards. fucking hate edge douche bags god damn. and i drive a jeep actually- who in richmond drives a ricer?

Anyway got tested at intake but passed (word) and paid all my dues. now I just have ten sessions and i'm done. they breathalyze you every class but just test at intake unless you have a drug charge or failed the first test

Posted by: KeyserSoze ()
Date: January 30, 2013 01:32AM

I have my first class tomorrow in Fredericksburg for my DWI. I was wondering if a beer with dinner the night before will effect or be detected in the urine test if they decide to give me one. I am sure they will breathalyze but i doubt that will reveal anything because I have to drive my vehicle there with the ignition interlock installed so I will obviously pass that to drive there, but was wondering if the beer i had with dinner the night prior will be an issue or problem. I appreciate any input someone might have for me. Thank you

Posted by: Intake coming up ()
Date: February 03, 2013 07:39PM

Does FAIRFAX ASAP do a urine test at the intake Assesment and how many days can it detect alcohol if they do

Posted by: Ads tests? ()
Date: February 03, 2013 09:05PM

Does anyone know how long the urine test that ads uses can detect alcohol? I know the one they use does get sent to a lab. Also how long can two Percocet be detected in urine? I only took two of the 5mg but I don't have an RX and it was like a week ago.

Posted by: Takeing It In Strides ()
Date: February 08, 2013 10:56PM

Thank you to those who gave us information regarding their experiences and to those who asked relevant questions.

I was arrested for DWI and Unreasonable Refusal. In court I plead guilty to the DWI (1st offence) which resulted in The Commonwealth (as they enjoy being called) dropping the Unreasonable Refusal charge. I was sentenced to 30 days in jail - all 30 suspended - a fine, and mandatory VASAP.

I proceeded to Bull Run ASAP office where they gave me my restricted license paperwork. As of July 2012 ALL DWI offences require an interlock device installation. The interlock company I am leaning towards (Draeger Safety Diagnostics, Inc) does not charge for installation, monitoring appointments, or removal. They charge $80 per month which comes out to $480 for the six months I am required to have it. After you inform ASAP of your selection, they will set up an appointment to have the interlock installed (takes about an hour and a half). You will then need to bring proof of installation to ASAP and only then will they sign your restricted license paperwork. DO NOT drive before this is done! I have not had my ASAP intake yet but I am assuming the 10 weeks at minimum. Interlock is required for 6 months. After that restricted continues for another 6 months during which time ASAP still owns my ass.

A rundown of my costs so far:
$ 395 - get car out of impound (Christmas day so it was pricey)
$ 2,000 - flat fee for attorney
$ 60 - driver improvement course (get some points back on license)
$ 250 - fine imposed by court (1st offence)
$ 206 - court processing fee
$ 375 - minimum expected ASAP fee
$ 480 - interlock device for 6 months
$ 220 - reinstatement fee paid to DMV after 30 days to get plastic license
$ ??? - increase in car insurance after getting FR-44 (required by DMV)

To those applying for restricted licenses: I work usually M,W,F,Su 9 to 5. What I wrote on my application was M,T,W,Th,F,Su. On top of that I where it asks what time you leave home/arrive at work I wrote "7:30am to 8:30am" for example. It is allowed, so give yourself that extra breathing room. In the end they listed the days and simply put "HRS VARY, NO MORE THAN 12 HRS PER DAY." Makes things a little less stressful. I also suggest you add a church (or similar institution) even if you are not a regular just so you can drag yourself out of the house once in awhile :)

The last thing I will add is to all those asking about the testing procedures, about how long substances stay in your system, etc. A child wants instant pleasure, and adult delays it to achieve goals. Some corny shit, I know, but there it is. I'll post again after my intake at ASAP (about 10 days from now).

Date: February 09, 2013 09:16AM

Make sure you have AA Meetings checked off, too. The ASAP Counseling sessions required me to attend 2 per week for 25 weeks. Adds cost $35 per session, 15 or 25 sessions (I guess I was hard core, 40 years driving with 2 speeding tickets and this one DUI so I was sentenced to 25 "counseling" sessions), do the math. I used to schedule errands around AA meetings in case I got pulled over. Worked twice, the cops bought it when I showed them the AA schedule and my restricted license requiring AA attendance.

By the way, the 25 sessions were useless. In only 2 of the 25 did we even mention alcohol or even DWI/DUI.

Put up with the crap, don't do anything stupid, and this too shall pass.

The whole program is designed to make money, not correcting behavior or saving lives, but it keeps MADD happy and therefore our politicians happy.

There are a few other things you can do to circumvent the law, too, if you need to do it.

Posted by: drugssssss ()
Date: February 10, 2013 06:05PM

if alcohol is currently in your system, i'll be detected. if not, not. percocet and most pharms are out of your system in 24 hours to 3 days

Posted by: Mikewu ()
Date: February 15, 2013 07:22PM

I recently got a DUI for alcohol. Court date next month. I am a weed smoker and was wondering what happens if you fail the initial urine test? I am quitting but since it takes 30-45 days I am a little worried about failing initially.

Posted by: rrr ()
Date: February 20, 2013 02:08PM

Thanks for the info, those of you that have offered guidance and shared experiences. I got my first DUI in Powhatan for alcohol in Jan. My court date is near the end of March. BAC was .19. Nothing else on my record. My car was damaged beyond repair though, so I have no vehicle at the moment (I ran over an embankment).

Does anyone know anything about the Powhatan VASAP? I believe I would be able to go to the classes at John Tyler... any info would be appreciated. I'm especially concerned about WHEN the classes are... I live in Midlothian but I work 8:30am to 5pm M-F in fucking Ashland. And of course I'm relying on others for rides.

Posted by: ghost ()
Date: February 20, 2013 07:17PM

Yes!! Do not drink before class, they can have you arrested on the spot or reffer you to a longer and more expensive program.

Other words REHAB!!!

Posted by: sandman ()
Date: April 07, 2013 08:15AM

i just recently got a drunk in public what are the chances of asap finding out if i don´t tell them about it. also i have started any of there classes or programms can i use that as to my advantage if i tell them

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: April 07, 2013 08:37AM

I don't drink but I'm getting woozy from the fumes in this thread.

Re: VASAP class Bull Run
Posted by: JoeMama ()
Date: May 19, 2013 07:45PM

So were you ever urine tested at the Bull Run Asap considering you posted this when you first began?

Posted by: Rando Taxpayer Got Fukd ()
Date: May 20, 2013 07:30AM

here's the deal with ASAP in farifax. for the most part they are brainwashed
card carrying goons that will belittle you into admitting you are a addict to justify their position in the universe.

to even try for them to understand that some people are strong willed and mentally disciplined enough to self evaluate and correct their problems without doctrine and or judgement for their wicked ways shakes them to their bones.

even if you feel you need support do not tell them the truth during your assesment or they will make you the next participant in the 4 day a work week 10am-2pm ADS show. LOOK AT THAT SCHEDULE!!! How can you do that and work? and ADS charges big $$$

moral of the story lie to them like they lie to you. also if your class was mostly drugs they usually only blow the alchies but don't take risks they even have tests that can detect the incenses. tbh i only finished ASAP so i wouldn't get hooked and booked.

I have since taken personal responsibility for my actions and credit that to the teacher Mr. Brown. He opened my eyes to the suffering i caused my loved 1's because of my bad habits and laziness. i still live my life but i did learn my lesson and it did humble me.

Re: VASAP class Bull Run
Posted by: Visionary_W ()
Date: May 29, 2013 10:51AM

I was convicted of a DUI 1st in Warren county. I blew a 0.02%. The case was transferred to Fairfax County for the VASAP. I had my intake a week ago.

At some point I'll post the story and explain how a cop can convict you of DUI when you blow a 0.02%. (I'm 26, not underage. I wasn't driving a commercial vehicle, and there was no other drug/substance/charge invovled.)

I'll get around to posting the whole story soon. I want to get it all out in one post mostly to vent it, and for anyone curious.

It was a State Trooper. His name is "Trooper Clark". All I can say is watch out for him. He lingers around mile markers 10 through 2 always working the graveyard shift on I66 very close to the I81 interchange.

A cop does not need to respect your rights. He does not need to submit you a breath test or submit the results of a test to convict you. He merely has to lie and say you refused.

Posted by: r ()
Date: May 29, 2013 04:15PM

ASAP sucks..if they ask you to do AA DONT GO!! unless you want to. All you have to do is get one of your friends to sign the form given to you at ASAP. Its Alcholics Anonymous so there are no records of who goes to the class..I was supposed to do 5 AA's and just got my friends to sign the form. I had no problems. ASAP workers are the most pathetic, unorganized people you will ever meet..good luck

VASAP money trap and kinda "Case Managers"
Posted by: LANDOVER LEGEND!!! ()
Date: May 29, 2013 08:04PM

Class isnt that bad you hear lots of interesting stories its the CASE MANAGERS that want to keep you as if they get commission!!!!!!!! I got extended for trying drive the next day my interlock registered a .04 but thing is shouldnt it be prevent you from drunk driving??? not monitor your activity. Who know what they will blow the next day......its amazing and seems like a loop they keep you in so I went and bout a machine so i could test before i drive. They violated me 8 times and the day i called to gwet it out my "CASE MANAGER" said i had 8 violations and court date on the following friday which i didnt get any notification in the mail!!! VA IS WILD I TELL you and I hate workers on law should have some type of compassion or morale testing before they take control of anothers life! "CASE MANAGER" my ASS!!!!! 5days in jail, 2months of class and 2 months o community service 1st offense! year and half ago when they werent going so hard! I blew .15 cause I had just left the bar that could have easily been one drink- i have a tester and I know how it works been playing around with it!!!! Liek they want you to fail so you can have 6 months added....Told me I signed the papers yeah I was scared as fuck with lawyer threatening jail!!!! WTF

Re: VASAP money trap and kinda "Case Managers"
Posted by: Bob Chase ()
Date: May 29, 2013 08:07PM

LANDOVER LEGEND!!! Wrote:
> Class isnt that bad you hear lots of interesting
> stories its the CASE MANAGERS that want to keep
> you as if they get commission!!!!!!!! I got
> extended for trying drive the next day my
> interlock registered a .04 but thing is shouldnt
> it be prevent you from drunk driving??? not
> monitor your activity. Who know what they will
> blow the next day......its amazing and seems like
> a loop they keep you in so I went and bout a
> machine so i could test before i drive. They
> violated me 8 times and the day i called to gwet
> it out my "CASE MANAGER" said i had 8 violations
> and court date on the following friday which i
> didnt get any notification in the mail!!! VA IS
> WILD I TELL you and I hate workers on law should
> have some type of compassion or morale testing
> before they take control of anothers life! "CASE
> MANAGER" my ASS!!!!! 5days in jail, 2months of
> class and 2 months o community service 1st
> offense! year and half ago when they werent going
> so hard! I blew .15 cause I had just left the bar
> that could have easily been one drink- i have a
> tester and I know how it works been playing around
> with it!!!! Liek they want you to fail so you can
> have 6 months added....Told me I signed the papers
> yeah I was scared as fuck with lawyer threatening
> jail!!!! WTF

When you are on probation you are not allowed to drink AT ALL. So you go and drink and then blow into the machine? Not very smart is it?

Posted by: WTH ()
Date: June 05, 2013 09:48PM

My case manager tried to take a nap during my intake. I finished singing my paperwork, looked up and she had her eyes closed. I cleared my throat (loudly) and she didn't open her eyes! I finally said "I'm finished!" and that woke her up. Amazing.....

Posted by: w ()
Date: June 19, 2013 03:59PM

lol you shoulda asked her if she had a little too much to drink last night

Posted by: Wilbertson ()
Date: October 21, 2013 09:06PM

Got a letter saying that I gotta show up for a case review in a couple of days ........any ideas what it is

Posted by: techhhhh ()
Date: November 15, 2013 04:42PM

I recently got a small possession charge and now I'm having to go through the christiansburg vasap program. I met with my intake person today and they gave me two testing dates. The first one is a little over two months from now and the second one is two months from the first one. However, my classes for the vasap don't start until a month after my first test, so that 3 months from now. However, I do know that I'm subject to random testing. Would they randomly drug test me before I have my first scheduled test and even before the actual class begins??

Posted by: Lindsay g ()
Date: November 22, 2013 06:11PM

Hey. I got sentenced to one year vasap probation for a DUI. I finished my classes. I only got tested once for my intake. I have been in this for six months now. They said they would send me a letter for a urine test date. But I think I saw my po see me buying a red bull on a Friday. I was not sure if it was her. Is there concern for worry. I signed a paper saying I wouldn't consume energy drinks. Would a po confront you about something like that? Or would they call me Monday? Please help any info would be helpful!

Re: christiansburg office
Posted by: tech2 ()
Date: January 23, 2014 07:26PM

I am worried about the same thing that techhhhh is above. anyone know anything about guidelines for random testing at the christiansburg office?

Re: christiansburg office
Posted by: Perspective.get.some ()
Date: January 23, 2014 11:01PM

Bitching and moaning about probation rather than being incarcerated?

Really?

I'm sure someone can fix that for you.

Posted by: chumps in ASAP ()
Date: January 24, 2014 11:07AM

Always funny to hear ASAP tales as I sit and smoke by bong, funny to see the chumps get locked up on the side of the road, then later spending thousands on legal fees only to get shit on my a Judge and get 12 months ASAP and probation and the vehicle interlock....the interlock device is for total chumps, could you imagine going on a date with a guy or girl and they have this device in their car LOL. Anyway thanks for the rant, but I always find it funny to see these chumps get arrested and booked LOL

Posted by: wow'd! ()
Date: February 07, 2014 01:53PM

Where does the money go??? They have commision reports and a budget yet nothing on the amounts collected by each agency each month and just where it is all going...that should be avaliable to the general public since we are spending so friakin much on it...right? It is sort of a table of ethics they seem not wanting to invite us to....heck, i don't want to eat with the bas-terds...i just want to know where all the crums are going. ya know?

Posted by: going soon ()
Date: February 28, 2014 04:49PM

do they drug test at intake in Fredericksburg?

Posted by: Niiiiigera ()
Date: March 20, 2014 08:11PM

Lmao

Posted by: Bonnie ()
Date: April 12, 2014 11:06PM

..yeah I understand Public Safety and all but why was I told by the attys I hired I could use my own medical insurance for the screenings and counseling. No correspondence on this at all. $350 for an Orientation then $700 for counselling.

I would like to know how much Fairfax County makes a year off this program. FOIA request.

Posted by: inDUIhell ()
Date: April 23, 2014 09:48PM

I just returned from my first ASAP class in Prince William County. It wasn't that bad. I was surprised that they did not breathalyze or give folks a urine screen.

Posted by: RVA_DUI_Questions ()
Date: April 30, 2014 12:26AM

I got convicted for my first (and will be my only) DUI in March. Making payments for ASAP; $50 every two weeks. Blew .089. Mentioned that I smoked weed (wasn't sure I'd pass a drug test and thought I'd be given one that day); told them 2 months. I get sent to "treatment evaluation". Passed my drug test at the treatment/counseling center, but they wanted me to take treatment classes at $40 bucks a class, 2 a week for 16 weeks. they told my insurance may take it, but I'm not sure if it will (I just got insurance because of Obamacare, and it doesn't even take effect until May 1st). I can't afford it. I lost my job because of the DUI and am barely getting by. I a told I get to have a second opinion, so I'm going to see my case worker later this week. I talked to my lawyer, seems if I get sent back to court because I can't pay, I won't go to jail (which is what I'm most scared of) but just won't get my license back.

My questions are: Has anyone ever been for evaluation and not had to got to treatment? Will the second opinion make a difference? What information does the caseworker get from the treatment place; can I lie my ass off during the second evaluation and not have to go to treatment? Are there any treatment evaluation places that are more lenient/easy/ghetto/cheaper that are "approved" that anyone knows about? I'm in Henrico county, but need a place that is on the bus line.

At this piont, I don't care about my license anymore. I cannot afford treatment, don't need treatment, and if I'm forced to pay for it, I might end up on the street. This whole thing is just a racket to get your money. I know what I did wrong, and am not saying some punishment/fines are not warrented. But they're trying to wring me dry, and threatening sending me back to court to get me to pay more. At least I know if I piss clean, I probably won't go to jail. My biggest mistake (besides the DUI) was mentioning that I smoked.

Posted by: Linda ()
Date: May 05, 2014 11:55AM

My experience thus far has been descent, or as descent as it can be. The monetary aspect is the killer. I received 1 yr restricted lic, six months interlock, 10 asap classes, 4 AA classes, and one class where MADD mets at the courthouse to discuss drinking and drive. So far, I am five meetings in with VASAP, One AA meeting in also. To date, I have not been tested in any way or form. I'm at Bull Run, not Fairfax. The people their (with exception to one) treat you with respect, and realize we did a horrible thing but aren't perfect people. They are more interested in getting us more educated than most ASAP's I've heard of thus far. I will say I've attempted to reach my PO (which in case you don't know is the same as your case manager) but unfortunately can never get a return call back. I've called three times, no response. I ended up asking the receptionist for each question and she was able to help me. Note: on the interlock. I've had it on a little over a month. A week ago, it kept telling me to check the mouthpiece but nothing was wrong. I called them, and they gave me an emergency code for one hour to get the car to them right then. This is Draeggar (spell?). I got there, and they just switched me out with another one. Draeggar seems to be very helpful this far in the juncture. Will keep you posted! Oh, and at intake, Bull Run does not test; infact I was told they aren't even equip to test on the actual office. Now, they can at anytime during the asap classes, and I was definitely told this as well.

Posted by: Linda ()
Date: May 05, 2014 12:01PM

First...I feel your pain! Second, I wouldn't "lie" on the second eval, because they will have access to the first eval and it would be even worse for you. Third, my suggestion is you make sure they are aware you lost your job due to the DUI, and that basic needs are barely being met. Ask them if you could do one meeting every two weeks instead of two every week for sixteen weeks. Obviously it would take longer...but it would be 80 a month total instead of 80 a week..might be worth a try, and it shows effort on your part..just a thought.

Posted by: ddd ()
Date: May 05, 2014 02:27PM

LIE LIE LIE!!! if they ask you if you smoke weed you say NO...if they ask you if you drink on the regular you say NO. ASAP is looking for anyway to make extra money off of you. If you answer yes to any of their questions they try to put you in a program $$$$$$$

Posted by: bK963 ()
Date: May 05, 2014 05:00PM

More government in our lives.

Thanks, Democrats.

Posted by: Alcjool ()
Date: May 05, 2014 11:23PM

Bet u

Posted by: Pam ()
Date: June 16, 2014 08:51PM

Has anyone taking asap class recently ..do you get a drug screening here

Posted by: You might not pass ()
Date: June 16, 2014 08:58PM

Pam Wrote:
> Has anyone taking asap class recently ..do you get
> a drug screening here

Are you on drugs now? You write like a crack head.

Posted by: Sami ()
Date: August 21, 2014 05:36PM

Are the classes after hrs (after work)?

Posted by: Brit ()
Date: August 30, 2014 12:31AM

Help from anybody that taken ASAP!

I miss my first class for fairfax (not intake interview) and was wondering if I'm going to be called to court for this. I tried contacting my po and couldn't get hold of him. I'm going to try to go into his office as soon as I can to talk to him but I'm a bit nervous about the outcome of this incident. What should I expect? Thanks in advance

Posted by: tapped out ()
Date: August 30, 2014 07:42PM

Had a DUI with high BAC.

Sentenced to 1 year in jail (all suspended except the mandatory 10 days that I have served). $2500 fine, $2000 of it suspended. And, of course VASAP and ignition interlock.

Started VASAP but, because I lost my job because of this DUI, it is clear that I will lack the funds to continue. No car or job now, so I don't need or want a restricted drivers license.

I imagine that VASAP will send me back to court, which will re-instate the suspended parts of my sentence. I have no problem serving the 355 days in jail, but what about the $2000 fine? It might as well be $2,000,000. Will they add jail time for the unpaid fine? If so, how much? I figure they have to let me out of jail eventually, right?

I don't have anybody else to ask, so any serious responses are appreciated.

Posted by: tapped im ()
Date: August 30, 2014 09:03PM

explain your financial situation to ASAP, there are alot of people that cant afford it, ask them what your options are.

Posted by: Maria ()
Date: August 30, 2014 11:15PM

Do offer vasap in spanish? Or I just attend and sit there?

Posted by: Español ()
Date: August 31, 2014 08:09AM

It's available in Spanish.

Posted by: I know stuff ()
Date: August 31, 2014 08:13AM

If you'd rather do the jail time over ASAP just file a motion and ask the judge to revoke asap. The catch is, a. You go to jail, and b. whenever you do get your situation sorted and want your license back, DMV will still require ASAP and ignition interlock.

Posted by: Lalala ()
Date: August 31, 2014 08:16AM

Brit, if it was your first class, you're automatically dropped from classes. Go in, tell your po you missed it and then there's a $25 reschedule fee to set you up in a different class.

Posted by: Help for all ()
Date: August 31, 2014 08:26AM

Here's the ASAP rundown. You do your orientation and get breathalyzed. Someone talks to you about your situation and makes a classification- education, intensive education, or treatment.
Education - 10 ASAP classes and no abstinence agreement
Intensive education- 10 ASAP classes and you sign the abstinence agreement saying you will not drink or use drugs for your whole probation.
Treatment- you get a formal substance abuse evaluation at a facility and they make the determination- needs or doesn't need treatment. If you don't need treatment, you get reclassified as intensive education. If you need treatment, the provider coordinates that with you and you do that and 4 ASAP classes.
Always be honest because they often know your information before you get there and ask a lot of questions just to gauge your honesty. They can drug test you at any point. It's not done at the office, but at inova. You will pay the fee for that. You can also be breathalyzed at anytime.
Getting sent back to court is based on your officer, your judge, and ASAP policies. Po's usually ask for an extension of probation so that you have time to complete your requirements and can successfully complete the program. Revocation from ASAP means that you get your suspended jail time, fines, and then have to do asap later.

Posted by: VictorFairfaxDUI ()
Date: November 12, 2014 11:12PM

At the Fairfax VASAP location, do they urine test you on day 1 and if so do they search you before taking the test?

Whoever can answer please let me know.

Posted by: Donald1 ()
Date: December 21, 2014 05:49PM

Just an fyi, I've been through the ASAP program (Richmond),completed the 10 classes, got my interlock removed, and have 5 months left on my restricted license.
I asked my case manager, "what would be considered an ASAP violation?" at this point, and he said..."if you drink, and if you test positive via a random drug screen".
I think anyone who thinks that once you finish your ASAP class, you're free and clear of random testing, well, you may be just kidding yourself.

Posted by: cody ()
Date: January 29, 2015 05:25PM

I in vasap I like to smoke pot. could they pop a randon? iv heard if ur there for a dui no just breath testing

Posted by: Lyn ()
Date: February 12, 2015 01:02PM

Does any one have a copy of their completion letter from ASAP I can see to see what I need to get from them?

Posted by: Cynthia ()
Date: May 07, 2015 11:34AM

Do they do urine testing at ASAP classes at the Northern Neck Regional Jail in Warsaw, VA? Also, my interlock device will be removed before I start classes. Will I still be able to drive under my restricted license?

Posted by: restricted ()
Date: May 07, 2015 12:01PM

Can anyone tell me what to expect after my 10 VASAP classes are finished? I went to court this past February where I was given the 10 VASAP classes, breathalyzer in my car until September (6 months after having it installed in March), and a restricted license for a year (Feb '16). I've yet to do any drug tests, even for the intake interview, nor I have I blown into a single breathalyzer other than the one in my car. Ill be halfway through VASAP classes next week. Thanks

Posted by: wow1 ()
Date: July 27, 2015 04:21PM

hahahhaha youre the one on this site!!!! bahahaha

Posted by: me2 ()
Date: August 14, 2015 10:14PM

Went to bullrun ASAP after attending one meeting was told through mail i had to go to a case review.After beign told i was free to go he called me back and pissed tested me.I know i was dirty as shit.That is what i get for listening to the jailhouse lawyer that told me they do not piss test u when u are on misdemenor probation.Already did 17 days in Loudoun county.They do not even let u d sleep.
Lights are never fully turned off.Is freaking torture.They are so freaking harsh
In this freaking state.Land of the free my ass!

Posted by: rrrrccc ()
Date: August 18, 2015 02:37PM

They only do breathalyzer at ASAP no drug test..If you have to do counseling they will do a drug test. LIE LIE LIE at your intake do not tell them you do drugs and say you only drink at special ocasions. If you tell them you do 420, drink etc they will put you in counseling. You do not want counseling big $$$$.

1.5 Million people get arrested for DUI in the US per year..ASAP alone is $500 per pop. Where does all that money go?

Posted by: CelticCross74 ()
Date: August 29, 2015 11:32PM

My DUI was in 2007. Blew a .26 in Ffx Co. and got nailed to the wall. VASAP? Of course. Hell yes they handed out breathalyzyers at all the ASAP meetings I went to. My biggest mistake was being totally honest about my drug and drinking history. I wasnt smoking at the time but got VASAP as well as ADS. Mandatory 4 days a week 10am-2pm. My licence was revoked until I completed BOTH VASAP and ADS. VASAP was a cinch. ADS on the other hand was hell on earth. Miss ONE ADS class and go to jail. I lost my job and had to commute hours each way from Alexandria to Fairfax.

Counseling my ass. Only one of the counselors was legally qualified to even be there. The other counselors were college students with psych majors that somehow were allowed to half ass counsel us. It was a nightmare. The legally qualified counselor was not even there half the time. All they did was force you to talk about your addictions and what a POS you were. There was zero structure to the "program" no one ever laid out what you were expected to do in order to fulfill and complete the program.

They only let you out of the program whenever the head counselor "felt you were ready". All the program did was ensure relapse. I remember one guy being forced to talk about how big of a POS he was for being addicted to crack at 40 years old. He committed suicide later that night.

Some were able to work over the totally unqualified student counselors and were done and out in 3 months. I was there for 13 months until they were satisified with the amount of psy op torture they got out of me. Many couldnt handle the force you to talk about what a POS you were to end up there and tried to skip town one even fled the country. Keep in mind I got popped for driving under the influence of alcohol. I had no illegal drugs on me or in me yet ended up in this psy op run by flunkies hell anyways.

Got piss tested weekly sometimes twice a week. Random as well. Passed them all yet was still forced to do ADS for 13 months anyways. The ADS psychiatrist was a sadist only there to collect fat county checks and remind you that you were a POS.

The only good thing that came out of this sick state sponsored torture program is that I had to go to 12 AA meetings. By the grace of god I have stuck with AA. I got very lucky in finding one amazing AA group. I dont want to even see a beer let alone drink one. The AA program works in keeping the psychology of addiction in check as long as you are willing to accept it.

I understand having had to go to ASAP. But I am here to tell you that at any "intake" evaluation LIE YOUR ASS OFF. You think VASAP is bad ADS is 1000 times worse and should be either privatized and run by actual professionals or ended and dismantled. Whatever you do drink, dope drink and dope and need to go somewhere TAKE THE FING BUS! Get a ride, call a cab do NOT get behind the wheel and risk getting busted it just isnt worth it. If you know a way to get to where you need to go that avoids main routes fing WALK even if its miles.

Posted by: Lawrence ()
Date: October 19, 2015 10:40PM

Donald1,
You said you enrolled in the Richmond Vasap, can you give me some insight on what to expect? Specifically, the amount of meetings you had with your case manager and the random urine tests. Once you finish your classes you are still subjected to these random test or no?

Posted by: Cantgetitright ()
Date: October 28, 2015 10:16AM

Can Anyone walk me through what happens if you fail the interlock in Alexandria?

Posted by: 2014r6 ()
Date: November 30, 2015 09:57PM

I'm looking for info on VASAP in central VA. I have finished all requirements and was wondering if anyone has had a case review or have been required to submit to a random drug/alcohol screen and if so how was the method of contact. Unlike most people not i'm looking for info to beat u/a screenings etc. I have spoken with my case manager once and that was six months ago. He was very vague and said "if he needed me would send a letter"...again very vague. Any info would be much appreciated.

Posted by: The Cops ()
Date: December 01, 2015 01:36AM

haha glad to hear it is so miserable for you shitheads after I bust you on minor possession and other nonsense.

Posted by: not the cops ()
Date: December 01, 2015 07:43AM

The Cops Wrote:
> haha glad to hear it is so miserable for you
> shitheads after I bust you on minor possession and
> other nonsense.

Fuck you.

Posted by: Sheriffs Dept ()
Date: December 01, 2015 07:58AM

Easy tough guy

Re: VASAP class-intake screen
Posted by: Big Mike ()
Date: December 17, 2015 03:02PM

What advice can you give for passing the initial intake drug screen for THC? I have a week, almost a daily user.

Posted by: uhoh ()
Date: December 17, 2015 03:17PM

You probably wont get clean. Say you were on vacation in Colorado or make up some BS excuse about why you were somewhere where pot is legal. That wont help much but its all you can do.

Posted by: I hate Vasap ()
Date: February 28, 2016 06:06PM

Does anyone know if the vasap in christiansburg stopped using urine test? I got called in for a random test and it was a mouth swab, just wondering if it will be like this for every test. If anyone has any info it would be much appreciated!

Re: VASAP class-intake screen
Posted by: Roll up a fatty ()
Date: March 27, 2016 12:12PM

Big Mike Wrote:
> What advice can you give for passing the initial
> intake drug screen for THC? I have a week, almost
> a daily user.

Go ahead and smoke up before you piss. At this point you have nothing to lose.

Posted by: Vasap ()
Date: April 13, 2016 05:07PM

Even though were vasap probation is a year, has anyone ever actually been asked to come in for a drug screen AFTER the 10 week classes? They say its possible but has it actually happened to anyone on here?

Posted by: Donewithasap ()
Date: May 03, 2016 06:23PM

I finished probation on 1-15-16 and finished classes back in November. They never called me in for a drug/alcohol test. I was convicted of a DUI (first offense)...btw this was in Chesterfield VA. Hope that helps.

Posted by: FML2016 ()
Date: May 05, 2016 04:03PM

This forum has really helped me figure out what was going to happen so I want to return the favor. It's been frustrating trying to get any official information regarding this entire process.

This all happened at the Fairfax ASAP.

Something that I wish I had known: If you don't live in FFX, they ask when you check in with the receptionist if you want to transfer to a closer ASAP. If you say yes, they will give you only part of the questionnaire, take you out into the hall to breathalyze you, then tell you that you can leave and make an appointment for the assessment at your local ASAP. Because I had already taken the morning off and didn't want to do it again, I chose to stay at the FFX ASAP. If you are not a FFX resident, they will make you sign a form that says you will pay for your own treatment. I have insurance that would have covered it if I was assigned treatment so I signed it and stayed.

- 1st offense DUI, no prior arrests for anything, no traffic violations of any kind, +5 DMV record.
- No official BAC - I was hyperventilating and unable to blow an adequate sample at the station so got charged with refusal which was later dropped.

At Intake they had me fill out a questionnaire about drinking and drug use history and a MAST assessment. Signed a Conditions of Probation and Participant Agreement which has all the terms of your probation. Here's a link to an online MAST. Exact same questions as on the ASAP MAST. http://counsellingresource.com/quizzes/drug-testing/alcohol-mast/

On the questionnaire I answered that I drink 0 times a week and have never done any kind of drugs. Taking no prescribed medications (I am on anti-anxiety meds but didn't tell them). I got a 0 score on the MAST. Took my payment of $400, put us in a classroom and gave us some flyers for office hours and a copy of the ASAP Handbook. Turned on a video and left us to watch it - basically people reading to us the Conditions, Participation Agreement, and the Handbook. About 20 mins I would guess. http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/admin/pdf/defendants-handbook-07-22-2014.pdf

Came back in and breathalyzed everyone. Didn't ask me to do it again since I had already done it when I thought I was transferring. Told us to wait until a counselor came in and called our name for our interview/assessment. Guy came and got me. Was really nice and friendly. We went over the assessment questions that he typed into the computer, slightly different but basically the same questions as the assessment. Asked the circumstances of my arrest. Then gave me options of classes that were available. Basically they give you the date and time of the first class and you can assume that it's that same day/time every week until you're done. Most were weekday evenings 6-8pm, one option for Saturdays 8-10am. Had me sign a consent form to release info to judge and DMV.
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/admin/pdf/vasap-consent-for-court.pdf

Printed out a paper with my scheduled class date and time, probation officer name (it wasn't him) and handed it to me. I didn't really read it. He told me that the probation officers deal with the problem people and if I just did what I was supposed to that I'd probably never hear from her. He said have a nice day and I left. When I read the paper later, I realized that I had been assigned a 12 class series and that I am required to abstain completely from alcohol and drugs for the duration of my ASAP supervision which I think is 12 months. I will ask when I go back for class.

Sounds like I didn't get the 'entry level' education. Not sure why. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll check back and also update after I go through the process.

Posted by: Zack Morris ()
Date: May 24, 2016 04:19PM

HI all, I was charged with first dui in Arlington recently. I refused breathalyzer because I knew i had 3 drinks of beer in an hour. I am truly ashamed and will NEVER drink again period. Alcohol has never been important in my life but I do enjoy Mary jane. I smoke on a daily basis, about 0.5 grams to help me deal with sleep anxiety and depression.

My court date is 45 days away so I should be able to get clean by than. But my lawyer suggest that I do voluntary ASAP course. Is that a good idea? Will they test for THC in Arlington? I have no prior am 35 YO. Is it worth taking a chance? My attorney says they won't test me since this is voluntary but I am scared. It's already has been an emotional roller coaster plus I've spent over 10K in fees and attorney cost and expert witness. Hoping for a positive outcome but who knows. Last 3 months in my life, everything that can go wrong has so I don't know if I should take this risk.

Any advice?

Posted by: asapguy ()
Date: June 02, 2016 12:39AM

FML2016 Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
>
> Sounds like I didn't get the 'entry level'
> education. Not sure why. Let me know if you have
> any questions. I'll check back and also update
> after I go through the process.

You were very lucky. Anyone that blows over a certain amount (I think .15 and it doesn't even matter if got thrown out in court), is on a 2nd+ DUI, or is dumb enough to admit things on their questionnaire gets sent to the "treatment group" which is a mandatory 48 hours of small group talk and the cheapest place is $40/hr so that's $2000. That's on top of the ASAP $400 too. They don't take insurance either (cash or check) not sure where you got that from.

Make sure you don't miss more than one of your classes or you have to start all over from the beginning. "Supervised" probation means you won't ever hear from them unless you mess up - public intox, positive on your interlock, blow positive at ASAP class (which people do do for some stupid reason) etc.

Posted by: W3mkx ()
Date: June 04, 2016 02:02PM

W3mkx

Posted by: FmlAlot ()
Date: December 15, 2016 04:43AM

What happens if I fail the intake meeting drug test? Last smoked before probation 25 days ago, and was a daily user

Posted by: random help ()
Date: December 15, 2016 08:15AM

FmlAlot Wrote:
> What happens if I fail the intake meeting drug
> test? Last smoked before probation 25 days ago,
> and was a daily user

If you fail it, it is VERY possible they will assign you to the more intensive classes- which are $40/hr as a previous poster said.

LIE and say you don't know how that happened, it could have been second hand smoke.

They MAY give you one more chance to test clean, it's a 50/50 shot. You can piss hot on your first test they expect that. BUt if you fail your second- you are SHORT. Pull out your wallet.

This is all this is about- to collect REVENUE for Fairfax County and to keep people in JOBS. If you background checked half the staff, they come from druggie situations and are working here to "atone" for it so of COURSE they will guilt trip you for using a little POT which is BS.

I say, leave marijuana users alone and go after the OPIATE users and such- but nope, we marijuana users are short since it stays in one's system the longest.

We should all know by now- the weed ban was put in place to have an excuse for the government to lock up blacks and hippies since they were no longer slaves to put them in the prison industry (NIXON, google it!) and now that the "net" is catching white people, NOW they want to pledge "treatment"....which of course they can charge MORE money for so it is in their BEST interests to catch as many drug users as they can= more money for the county and the companies that do drug testing, the counselors salaries, etc...FOLLOW THE MONEY.

Date: December 15, 2016 07:00PM

Thanks for the info! Also do you know when the random testing starts? Im a student at virginia tech and live a few hours away, and being that my license is suspended I would hope they wouldn't call me back until after christmas break

Date: December 16, 2016 11:01AM

Passed my intake exam with ease, turns out it was just a mouthswab, so if you have to go to christiansburg vasap just prepare for a mouthswab

Re: VASAP class Can you take opiates in VASAP if you are prescribed them by your Dr.?
Posted by: ML90 ()
Date: February 12, 2017 02:17PM

Yes, you can. I went through the same thing and my case worker said as long as they're prescribed to you and you have proof, then you're fine.

Posted by: Helen ()
Date: February 21, 2017 11:53AM

Does anyone have any information on Richmond, Va ASAP? THe classes, etc. Are you required to abstain from all alcohol for the length of the classes? For the year? Thank you in advance.

Posted by: Pierre ()
Date: March 14, 2017 03:19PM

I have to go to Vasap do I have to take both mast and dast

Interlock
Posted by: Shameless_E ()
Date: March 16, 2017 07:35PM

I recently failed my interlock breath test twice then passed it all within 15 minutes. I passed the rolling retest 5 minutes later. My PO is sending my case back to court as non-compliant. Does anyone have any experience with this? What should I expect on my court date?

Posted by: dudeeee ()
Date: April 04, 2017 06:36PM

Were you ever drug tested in Richmond during classes? Thanks man.

Posted by: MJBro ()
Date: October 06, 2017 04:54AM

dudeeee Wrote:
> Were you ever drug tested in Richmond during
> classes? Thanks man.

Yes.

Posted by: IFinished ()
Date: October 12, 2017 08:50PM

I owe this too all the people worried about this stupid class. First of all, all you "Frost Nixon" fags ruined this fucking post. Don't you 19 year old fucks have something better to do with your life? For everyone else; just go to intake. Don't tell them about your past. Do not admit to doing any drugs. Lie on the questionarre. That's how they determine your class. I did 10 weeks, VASAP, 2 hours each Thursday. No drug tests. None. Breathalyzer every class at the end. Good luck, just don't drink day before.

Posted by: iamscaredtodeath ()
Date: November 27, 2017 09:18PM

I have my first meeting with my case manager tomorrow in Richmond. Will she drug test me?

Posted by: been_there ()
Date: November 28, 2017 12:26AM

Yes.

Posted by: Hgjnjn ()
Date: December 02, 2017 09:43AM

To all who are complaining about ASAP... remember, this is offered as an alternative to jail. How hard is it to show up to a few classes on time? Most functioning members of society are required to show up to work regularly. This is not hard. If you're struggling with it then you really need to take a good look at your life.
Is it possible to give up drugs and alcohol for a brief period of your life to avoid jail time? There's a term for people who can't stay off drugs and/or alcohol--it's "addict"

Posted by: helppls ()
Date: March 28, 2018 01:55AM

starting 'treatment' this week for 16 weeks, then 4 weeks of vasap. anyone have any experience on what these next 20 weeks will be like? what kind of drug/alc tests do they do if they did test you during? any help is appreciated

Posted by: Transferred ()
Date: June 06, 2018 02:02PM

I was forced to do VASAP after a DWI. At that point, I went to college out of state (PA), so I asked for my education to be transferred to the county where the college is. It'll cost you more for the out of state program, but one weekend of classes beats 16 weeks.

On the OP, I was only breathalyzed once, during the first orientation and the only time I stepped into a VASAP classroom. Right after the orientation, I talked to my case officer and she transferred me to the program in PA. Never got tested since.

Re: VASAP money trap and kinda "Case Managers"
Posted by: Darren leake sucks cock ()
Date: January 26, 2024 10:04PM

Fuck vasap. Fuck district 9 vasap

Posted by: Darrenleakesucks cock ()
Date: February 01, 2024 04:18AM

Ahmayzin Wrote:
> They are random. BEst thing to do is, if you
> have to drink the night before class....set a
> limit. A cut off time. I remember having
> Saturday class at 11am. I would hang out until
> 10pm. No more than 3 beers.
>
> I'll never forget the time this older guy came in
> REAKING of alcohol. Dude probably could have
> blown an easy .20. He faked a mild heart attack
> right when the instructor walked in. Got away
> with it....insane.

Posted by: Darrenleakesuckscock ()
Date: February 01, 2024 04:20AM

Fuck you district 9 vasap you sorry pieces of shit

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.