HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Avoid Reston Psychological Center
Posted by: Dad ()
Date: May 13, 2012 06:01PM

Please avoid Reston Psychological Center. We went there for my son. The doctor was never prepared for our sessions and he was constantly asking us the same questions and making recommendations we had already told him we had done. When we asked before a session if he had read an email we sent him, his response was "I have it right here." When we asked again, "Did you read it," he nodded and said "I have it right here." I then said, that is not what I asked you, I asked you if you had read it. His response was then, sarcastically, "I will," acting as if I was too demanding of him. He purposely tried to mislead clients.

When we came to him with a psychological issue and he immediately blamed it on a medical condition. When we corrected him, and showed that he was wrong, he became very agitated. The issue was my son in the winter would only wear short sleeve shirts. The doctor blamed it on a deep skin sensitivity to long sleeves and said, hopefully, he will grow out of it. When we pointed out that once we got long sleeve shirts with messages on them, like his T-shirts, my son had no problem wearing long sleeve shirts (Google Dr. Paul Fussell and "Legible clothing"). The Doctor became very mad when my son walked into the office wearing a long sleeve shirt with a message on it.

After my son hit his brother during session the Dr. said nothing to his patient and he said nothing comforting to his brother. When I asked the Dr. why he didn't say anything, his response was that he didn't want to disrupt the therapeutic process. There were a lot of other issues that were created because of the way the Doctor mishandled the case. When we asked for peer review, his response was there was no peer review in his office. When we wrote to the head psychologist asking for peer review, we got the run around and equivocations.

Also, each time we saw the Dr. for the four months we went there, the doctor tried to recommend a "Program" for my son that was ran by his friends. The costs ranged from $80.00 a week for tennis lessons to a $6,000.00 summer camp. It was like he was a referral service.

After dropping Reston Psychological Center, we went to a new psychologist and after the first session, my son's attitude improved greatly.

Please don't abuse me. I really try to be a good parent and my son takes advantage of that. I offer this piece so that others in Fairfax can see that just because someone is a psychologist doesn't mean they have your best interests in mind. Reston Psychological Center did not help us, and it appeared from the Doctor we saw, they do not want to really do any work. They survive on keeping the problems alive so you keep coming, making blanket statements, and acting as a referral service.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Avoid Reston Psychological Center
Posted by: Harry sax ()
Date: May 13, 2012 06:33PM

nigga please.

Posted by: FUNdamental ()
Date: May 13, 2012 06:33PM

Two psychologists meet at their twentieth college reunion. One of them looks like he just graduated, while the other psychologist looks old, worried and withered.
The older looking one asks the other, "What's your secret? Listening to other people's problems every day, all day long, for years on end, has made an old man of me."
The younger looking one replies, "Who listens?"

Posted by: sarah's mom ()
Date: May 13, 2012 06:43PM

There are too many doctors in this area that think their patients are made of money. It is good to call them out on it.

Posted by: beenthere ()
Date: May 13, 2012 06:56PM

There are so many cases of bad psychologists and psychiatrists in the area. One of the Washingtonian Top Docs in psychiatry was sued by his practice and a patient for failing to maintain privacy and other issues. Never trust these people off the bat. People usually seek these people when they are desperate or in an emergency and don't question the doctor's approach, philosophy and plan for working with you or your child. Question them and don't assume they will be professional and ethical just because of their job title. Be skeptical, watch for red flags, and drop them quickly if things seem out of the norm. I've been through this with counselling for my child. Despite their impressive job titles, I've seen very unscupulous and unethical stuff. I think there is a lower standard for pschs that deal with children.

Posted by: Stupid woman ()
Date: May 13, 2012 07:13PM

What the fuck did I just read. You took your son to therapy because he wears short sleeves in the winter? You must be white.

Posted by: christ on a carousel ()
Date: May 13, 2012 07:30PM

Nigga please.

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: May 13, 2012 10:35PM

The OP has to be the worst parent on record. Hauling a kid to the shrink because he can't control his own child. Probably has him on ritalin too. What's wrong with these people? Shouldn't people have to qualify or pass a test before loosing sperm on the world? Please don't breed anymore,pops.

Posted by: Doctor Love ()
Date: May 13, 2012 11:43PM

Dad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Please avoid Reston Psychological Center. We went
> there for my son. The doctor was never prepared
> for our sessions and he was constantly asking us
> the same questions and making recommendations we
> had already told him we had done. When we asked
> before a session if he had read an email we sent
> him, his response was "I have it right here."
> When we asked again, "Did you read it," he nodded
> and said "I have it right here." I then said,
> that is not what I asked you, I asked you if you
> had read it. His response was then,
> sarcastically, "I will," acting as if I was too
> demanding of him. He purposely tried to mislead
> clients.
>
> When we came to him with a psychological issue and
> he immediately blamed it on a medical condition.
> When we corrected him, and showed that he was
> wrong, he became very agitated. The issue was
> my son in the winter would only wear short sleeve
> shirts. The doctor blamed it on a deep skin
> sensitivity to long sleeves and said, hopefully,
> he will grow out of it. When we pointed out that
> once we got long sleeve shirts with messages on
> them, like his T-shirts, my son had no problem
> wearing long sleeve shirts (Google Dr. Paul
> Fussell and "Legible clothing"). The Doctor
> became very mad when my son walked into the office
> wearing a long sleeve shirt with a message on it.
>
>
> After my son hit his brother during session the
> Dr. said nothing to his patient and he said
> nothing comforting to his brother. When I asked
> the Dr. why he didn't say anything, his response
> was that he didn't want to disrupt the therapeutic
> process. There were a lot of other issues that
> were created because of the way the Doctor
> mishandled the case. When we asked for peer
> review, his response was there was no peer review
> in his office. When we wrote to the head
> psychologist asking for peer review, we got the
> run around and equivocations.
>
> Also, each time we saw the Dr. for the four months
> we went there, the doctor tried to recommend a
> "Program" for my son that was ran by his friends.
> The costs ranged from $80.00 a week for tennis
> lessons to a $6,000.00 summer camp. It was like
> he was a referral service.
>
> After dropping Reston Psychological Center, we
> went to a new psychologist and after the first
> session, my son's attitude improved greatly.
>
> Please don't abuse me. I really try to be a good
> parent and my son takes advantage of that. I
> offer this piece so that others in Fairfax can see
> that just because someone is a psychologist
> doesn't mean they have your best interests in
> mind. Reston Psychological Center did not help
> us, and it appeared from the Doctor we saw, they
> do not want to really do any work. They survive
> on keeping the problems alive so you keep coming,
> making blanket statements, and acting as a
> referral service.

So what was the diagnosis by the new psychologist you took your son to see?

Posted by: Sgt Hartman ()
Date: May 14, 2012 05:01AM

Posted by: lawrence ()
Date: May 14, 2012 06:42AM

You did the right thing- psychotherapy is like anything else. I am a psychotherapist and I have a "satisfaction guarantee", if you don't like it, you don't pay. If I am not working for you, then tell me. You do need to shop around and in the first session, if it doesn't feel right, (for a 1000 reasons) definately go to someone else and tell the person that they suck. (Ok you can use clinical language for all of the morons who post here and are going to jump all over me and question my credentials). I have been in private practice for 30 years and there are just as many very very very bad and damaging therapists, as-well, teachers....

Posted by: Ahmayzin ()
Date: May 14, 2012 10:17AM

Stupid woman Wrote:
> What the fuck did I just read. You took your son
> to therapy because he wears short sleeves in the
> winter? You must be white.

Oh shit....lmao.

Posted by: dad ()
Date: May 14, 2012 10:39AM

beenthere Wrote:
> There are so many cases of bad psychologists and
> psychiatrists in the area. One of the
> Washingtonian Top Docs in psychiatry was sued by
> his practice and a patient for failing to maintain
> privacy and other issues. Never trust these
> people off the bat. People usually seek these
> people when they are desperate or in an emergency
> and don't question the doctor's approach,
> philosophy and plan for working with you or your
> child. Question them and don't assume they will
> be professional and ethical just because of their
> job title. Be skeptical, watch for red flags, and
> drop them quickly if things seem out of the norm.
> I've been through this with counselling for my
> child. Despite their impressive job titles, I've
> seen very unscupulous and unethical stuff. I
> think there is a lower standard for pschs that
> deal with children.

As soon as I asked for peer review at RPC and was told there was no peer review, I knew the whole system there was flawed and they really didn’t care about helping people.

My son was defiant in school and at home, and he would copy what he saw the goofball kids on TV do or what he read in goofball kid books. We tried to explain the problem to the doctor at RPC but the doctor at RPC kept focusing on the reason why he was acting this way. The doctor kept telling us it was "deep rooted anger" against his parents, and continued to look for this anger that didn’t exist.

The reason he was defiant was he wanted to be the class clown and not do what was expected of him just like the kids on TV. An example is my son would see a kid on TV “accidently” knock over his desk during class, so, the next day my son would “accidently” knock over his desk during class. As my son later explained to me, it was like an inside joke between my son and the rest of the kids. Most would see this TV show, and my son would make it his duty to do the same goofball thing he saw on TV the next day (the teachers don’t watch Teen Nick in the afternoons, so they were not in on the joke).

The new doctor sat my son down and explained to him clearly that his actions were not acceptable and he needed to start a program where he was to do what was expected of him (clearly laid out). She explained how if he kept going on his current route he would be put in a place where he couldn’t play these games (home intervention). She gave him a scorecard and is having him work toward a goal. We tried the same thing but because we are his parents, he didn’t accept it. Coming from a third party, he got the message.

Posted by: Jake Plummer ()
Date: May 14, 2012 10:44AM

Any snake issues? Lol

Posted by: You Need Help Parenting ()
Date: May 14, 2012 01:27PM

I'm all for kids with real issues getting psychological help. But this just seems like a case of a parent asking the psychologist to do what he obviously won't - tell the kid to "Cut it out!". In other words, run of the mill parenting.

"We tried the same thing (as the psychologist) but because we are his parents, he didn't accept it."

Of course he didn't! He needs to have consequences. Which he clearly hasn't had so far. I think you would be better off having the psychologist train you how to parent this kid. If you run to the doctor every time little Johnny mouths off, you're going to spend a fortune and the kid will never respect you.

And learn how to pick your battles. The kind of junior league "antics" you've described sound incredibly petty to me (a fellow parent of a challenging kid).

Posted by: WTFMF? ()
Date: May 14, 2012 01:49PM

Seriously? You took him to a shrink because he likes to wear his "graphic Tees" or brand name tees in the winter?

This has got to be a bullshit post. Please. For the love of god. Tell me this is a bullshit post and that this didn't really happen. Please, sir. Save my faith in humanity.

Sir, if this is the case, you need to be castrated immediately. Your male children will require castration as well. There's no way we can take the chance that you or any off your offspring will reproduce, ever.

And I wouldn't guarantee that the OP is a regular cracker on this one...I'm thinking there's a STRONG Jewish possibility, or an outside Asian or Indian(dot) chance here as well.

I can't wait for this next generation to come of age and actually start taking over responsibility in society. They've been so neglected and fucked up by their work, work, work...I'm so important...Look at my Lexus and McMansion...stupid ass parents...so medicated by psychiatrists that just want to keep the cash rolling in...they've never had to assume responsiblity...never had to face hard life (un-medicated)...never been wrong and never lost at anything (because they're all winners now, even the grotesquely fat kid with sausage gravy for blood and rocks rolling around in his head for a brain)...AND THEY CANT EVEN WEAR SHORT SLEEVE SHIRTS IN WINTER WITHOUT BEING SENT FOR A PSYCH EVALUATION...basically, we're all fucked when this generation comes into "power". Just start saving the canned goods and bottled water now.

And next time you read the newspaper (internet) and see the story about one of these little winners shooting up another school or being responsible for some sort of calamity (but that football player was making fun of them!), don't blame the stupid ass kid. Behind every stupid ass kid are two equally stupid, careless, clueless and inept parents.

At this point it's only the stupid people breeding.

God I love this country!

Posted by: WTFMF? ()
Date: May 14, 2012 01:55PM

Oh...and do you think it's possible he recommended Tennis lessons or summer camp to get your little monster out of the fucking house and snap him out of his video game and TV coma? After all, I'm sure by "good parent" you mean you let him do whatever and buy him whatever he wants.

Get that motherfucker a job laboring outdoors this summer. Cut the allowance, TV and the video games. Make him do some work, sweat, and interact with some people that aren't on the other end of his bluetooth headset.

I guarantee you'll see progress.

Posted by: Ten Toes in the Grave ()
Date: May 14, 2012 07:33PM

As "You Need Help Parenting" advises, you need to learn how to pick your battles. One of the early books I read on parenting suggested putting behavior issues into 1 of 3 categories: (1) Unimportant, not worth fighting over; (2) Important, worth discussing and persuading; and (3) Critical, a matter of life and death--you don't give the kid any slack, you just demand that he/she do it because it's that important.

Critical: Getting into a car with a stranger.

Important: Doing homework.

Unimportant: Ummm . . . wearing T-shirts in winter?

Quick story: When our son was a baby, he insisted on pushing his shoes off. He hated shoes. So we'd dress him nice and warm, put him in the car seat, drive him to a baby sitter's . . . and by the time we got there, he'd have pushed off both of his shoes. The first sitter we used was appalled--how could we permit this? Well, we couldn't stop it. But, besides, the car was warm. Her house was warm. The baby was outside, bundled up and in socks but no shoes, for maybe 30 seconds. It simply wasn't an issue worth worrying over.

When our son was a bit older, he'd always be v-e-r-y slow getting dressed. So we warned him, a couple of times, that if he wasn't ready when we were, we'd just have to take him as he was. (By now we'd gotten a much more laid-back sitter.) Well, one day he wasn't ready and didn't appear to be trying to get ready. So we said, "We warned you. It's time to leave." He was in his pyjamas. He got this disbelieving look on his face. I scooped him up (with his clothes in the other hand) and carried him, football-style, to the car. With every step, he got more and more panicked. By the time we got to the car, he was absolutely mortified. (And, yes, I was totally prepared to take him to the sitter's in his PJs.) In the car, he begged and pleaded for his clothes. I made him promise that if I gave him his clothes, he'd never fail to get dressed again. And it worked.

The point is: The issue over the shoes just wasn't worth fighting over. The issue with getting dressed was an irritant to me, but a real problem for him. That's how you parent.

And as he grew older, we explained those 3 levels to him, so if we ever invoked "Level 3," he'd understand its importance. He knew we were willing to discuss Level 2 items, but ultimately we'd decide.

Short sleeves in winter? That's nothing. (Hey, if he's cold, he'll tell you. Kids are good at that.) Learn what's really important. Work on that. The other stuff: Kids are kids. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Posted by: parent24 ()
Date: May 14, 2012 09:32PM

Ten Toes in the Grave Wrote:
> As "You Need Help Parenting" advises, you need to
> learn how to pick your battles. One of the early
> books I read on parenting suggested putting
> behavior issues into 1 of 3 categories: (1)
> Unimportant, not worth fighting over; (2)
> Important, worth discussing and persuading; and
> (3) Critical, a matter of life and death--you
> don't give the kid any slack, you just demand that
> he/she do it because it's that important.
>
> Critical: Getting into a car with a stranger.
>
> Important: Doing homework.
>
> Unimportant: Ummm . . . wearing T-shirts in
> winter?
>
> Quick story: When our son was a baby, he insisted
> on pushing his shoes off. He hated shoes. So we'd
> dress him nice and warm, put him in the car seat,
> drive him to a baby sitter's . . . and by the time
> we got there, he'd have pushed off both of his
> shoes. The first sitter we used was appalled--how
> could we permit this? Well, we couldn't stop it.
> But, besides, the car was warm. Her house was
> warm. The baby was outside, bundled up and in
> socks but no shoes, for maybe 30 seconds. It
> simply wasn't an issue worth worrying over.
>
> When our son was a bit older, he'd always be
> v-e-r-y slow getting dressed. So we warned him, a
> couple of times, that if he wasn't ready when we
> were, we'd just have to take him as he was. (By
> now we'd gotten a much more laid-back sitter.)
> Well, one day he wasn't ready and didn't appear to
> be trying to get ready. So we said, "We warned
> you. It's time to leave." He was in his pyjamas.
> He got this disbelieving look on his face. I
> scooped him up (with his clothes in the other
> hand) and carried him, football-style, to the car.
> With every step, he got more and more panicked. By
> the time we got to the car, he was absolutely
> mortified. (And, yes, I was totally prepared to
> take him to the sitter's in his PJs.) In the car,
> he begged and pleaded for his clothes. I made him
> promise that if I gave him his clothes, he'd never
> fail to get dressed again. And it worked.
>
> The point is: The issue over the shoes just wasn't
> worth fighting over. The issue with getting
> dressed was an irritant to me, but a real problem
> for him. That's how you parent.
>
> And as he grew older, we explained those 3 levels
> to him, so if we ever invoked "Level 3," he'd
> understand its importance. He knew we were willing
> to discuss Level 2 items, but ultimately we'd
> decide.
>
> Short sleeves in winter? That's nothing. (Hey, if
> he's cold, he'll tell you. Kids are good at that.)
> Learn what's really important. Work on that. The
> other stuff: Kids are kids. Don't sweat the small
> stuff.

Really should you as parent know not to judge other parents. .. Good for you for taking your kid for help . Ihave four kids app parented the same way . One is much harder then the other and therapy has really helped.

Posted by: anon2222 ()
Date: May 15, 2012 06:48AM

Forcing your kid to go to a shrink because he won't wear long sleeves in the winter?
I don't think it's your son that needs the shrink.

How about these long sleeve shirts for self-esteem issues?
Attachments:
idiocracy.gif

Posted by: ASN1668 ()
Date: May 15, 2012 07:27AM

LOL ---- your kid will only wear short sleeves in the winter. OH THE TRAVESTY!

Starting to think you're the one needing psychology not the kids(s).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 07:28AM by ASN1668.

Posted by: ASN1668 ()
Date: May 15, 2012 07:31AM

Meanwhile the spoiled (as evident by the parents demeanor here) piece of shit is in school acting out, causing trouble around the neighborhood, gets piss-poor grades, rides the "level 3" limit --- but hey, at least he wears long sleeves in the winter ! ! !

Posted by: good luck with it all ()
Date: May 15, 2012 08:00AM

Dad,

Be strong for your son. Tough love and a firm hand and worked with me when I was a kid. Do what you think is best for your son. Igore the haters who think everyone else's problems are to be made fun of. Hope it works out for you.

Posted by: ruby ()
Date: January 23, 2017 04:11PM

please, could I get your office number. I have a 40 yr old daughter who lives in Reston. She is severely depressed. Help

Posted by: Is he on stimulants ()
Date: January 23, 2017 05:57PM

if he's on ritalin/vyvanse/adderall then the kid is probably dehydrated like an alcoholic. You can stand outside in the cold and be burning up. Electrolytes and water. Lack thereof can cause anxiety, metabolic issues and many other issues. Is he overweight?

Posted by: Compassionatemom ()
Date: February 12, 2018 12:41AM

Most unethical "Dr" and my relatives are psychologists at NIMH.

Posted by: Compassionatemom ()
Date: February 12, 2018 12:42AM

Dr Garber ruined my daughters' lives over money.

Posted by: XX96W ()
Date: February 12, 2018 02:25AM

Remove the television. Problem solved.

Posted by: MJMWJ ()
Date: February 12, 2018 02:29AM

XX96W Wrote:
> Remove the television. Problem solved.

The theme of lots of TV shows seems to be, "Look what a dick I am! Isn't it hilarious that I'm such a huge dick?"

That's not helping your adolescent child.

Posted by: Jeeezey weeezey ()
Date: February 12, 2018 06:06AM

Nigga please!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.