HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
resume
Posted by: native ()
Date: April 21, 2008 02:53PM

I am updating my resume, is it worth listing a part time job that you have worked less then 6 months at(needed extra income at the time). Can a potential employer find out about jobs that you have worked at that you havent listed on your resume?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: resume
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: April 21, 2008 03:00PM

If you need to fill a gap in your employment history, keep it in there. Otherwise just delete it, unless it's directly relevant to the job you are interviewing for. Always makes me laugh when I get resumes that have a history of part time retail jobs on them, when it's clear we would never talk about that in the interview. It's not really a strike against the person, it's just silly.

And yes, employers could find past jobs not listed if they conducted a background investigation.

Posted by: SE ()
Date: April 21, 2008 03:01PM

Not if your part time job is a real estate agent. We don't do much..trust me I'm young and inexperienced.=)

Date: April 21, 2008 03:07PM

>
> And yes, employers could find past jobs not listed
> if they conducted a background investigation.

Really/??? I was told that if you worked somewhere less then 6 months its not even worth mentioning and employer will never even know

Posted by: Lurker.. ()
Date: April 21, 2008 03:08PM

Meeper is correct. Only if you need to fill in employment gaps. Also make sure if you include an email address on your resume that searching on the web using that email doesn't turn up some crazy stuff.

Date: April 21, 2008 03:12PM

Yes maybe a small private company would do a google search on your info but I find that bigger companies dont bother but yes I did build an email just for the job search purpose. Believe it or not I am at work right now and bored out of my fucking mind. I get like 15 customers through the door all day and I have to commute 50 miles each way with traffic.

Date: April 21, 2008 03:20PM

I used to work for a big defense contractor, and I ALWAYS googled the names and email addresses of job candidates. This was not corporate policy, nor did HR give me the directive. So, size of company has noting to do with it. In fact, bigger companies are more inclined to have search policies because they have the room to put it on overhead, room that small companies don't have.

Date: April 21, 2008 03:24PM

Ok and what do you do if that person has changed their last name (marriage for example). Since most resumes dont ask for previous last name. What kind of shit can you really find on a person on the internet. Lol, I would love gor Gravis' employer to come across his name being thrown around on this website a few times

Date: April 21, 2008 03:46PM

I never based a hiring decision on things I have found on google. It was mostly just to see if there was anything worth knowing... after all, they are a total strangers coming in to my office looking for a job, I have every right to find stuff out about them. Other than stupid myspace pages, dumb email addresses, etc. most of it is pretty standard. One time I did find out this guy was into some kind of real life vampire role-playing game... how embarrassing is that for a potential employer to find out pre-interview? He was weird enough in the interview that I did not hire him, but still... be smart and clean up your online stuff. If you are looking for a job you should be covering all your bases and making every effort to appear professional, otherwise it will look half-assed and lazy.

Date: April 21, 2008 03:52PM

well put, Thanks Meep

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: April 21, 2008 06:25PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used to work for a big defense contractor, and I
> ALWAYS googled the names and email addresses of
> job candidates. This was not corporate policy,
> nor did HR give me the directive. So, size of
> company has noting to do with it. In fact, bigger
> companies are more inclined to have search
> policies because they have the room to put it on
> overhead, room that small companies don't have.

What would google bring to the table?

My employer does not show me on google and my email address is not there either...

I will say the best advice I can offer someone looking for a job, is to NOT use a goofy email address as your contact method - nobody cares about hottie69@yahoo.com or beer.guzzler@cox.net or any other lame azz attempts to impress your future employer. Serious.

Date: April 21, 2008 07:41PM

ffxn8v Wrote:
>> What would google bring to the table?

At a minimum, it could tell me nothing at all. But it could also tell me that this isn't the type of person that I'd trust around our clients. I'm the one taking all the risk and responsibility, so why shouldn't I be doing my homework?

You are correct about the email address. I got a resume last year, email address was something like "serial_thrilla@xyz.com". Stuff like that's just retarded, I'd never respond to someone dumb enough to do that.

Also a good idea to have a normal sounding voice mail message, not some stupid inside "joke" message meant for your friends, or something that sounds like you recorded it at a frat party.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: April 21, 2008 08:00PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Also a good idea to have a normal sounding voice
> mail message, not some stupid inside "joke"
> message meant for your friends, or something that
> sounds like you recorded it at a frat party.

"this is jeff and im toooootally wasted so im passed out on-*BEEP*"

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: April 21, 2008 08:05PM

hey gravis, is your last name Turner by chance?

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: April 21, 2008 08:06PM

no.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: April 21, 2008 08:14PM

liar!

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: April 21, 2008 09:28PM

I would first learn to spell the word résumé on your résumé.

Date: April 21, 2008 09:33PM

Radiophile Wrote:
>>> I would first learn to spell the word résumé on your résumé.

Why would you even put the word résumé on your résumé?

Maybe spell it with the fancy "é" in your cover letter, but it only really says "I used MS-Word's spell checker".

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: April 21, 2008 11:01PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Radiophile Wrote:
> >>> I would first learn to spell the word résumé
> on your résumé.
>
>
> Why would you even put the word résumé on your
> résumé?

You may resume your tirade about the the résumé.

Posted by: interested ()
Date: April 22, 2008 01:17AM

How important are cover letters?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.